Clowney vs Frank Clark

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Subzero717":2a0z8aks said:
Sacks wether you believe they are overrated or not are tangible. They result in a negative play. Hurries and pressure do not. They are basically made up. It accounts for zero. Tell me where the pressure begins and ends. Especially with the influx of athletes playing QB today.

Fun fact- Russell Wilson is pressured on over 40% of all pass plays. He has a passer rating of 108 when pressured. That doesnt sound like pressure has much of an impact.

Derek Carr leads the NFL with a 109 passer rating while under pressure.

https://thepowerrank.com/2014/01/31/how ... g-science/

Danny Darko

Reaction score
I'd pay him if we feel our draft capital will get us a legit sack/pressure guy in tandem. Ansah has been a total bust and that hurt JC's production. He does a lot of things, and JS made a great move to let Frank go and get him, but honestly I feel like our D would have been better with Clark because outside of nickel our secondary has held up despite QBs having all kinds of time to unload.

Also lets see what happens post SF now that Reed is back up to game shape. maybe we'll see one or the other actually get sacks, but we still lack a true edge speed rusher unless Shaquem puts on 20 lbs and shows a second and third move.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, one thing is certain: IF they sign him, a bunch of people will complain it's too much $. If they DON'T sign him, a bunch of people will say they are stupid for not keeping him.

D

DomeHawk

SoulfishHawk":cizccnny said:
Well, one thing is certain: IF they sign him, a bunch of people will complain it's too much $. If they DON'T sign him, a bunch of people will say they are stupid for not keeping him.

Outside of injuries, the most worrisome thing about that big contract is that the player will rest on his laurels.

I would like to see a stat that exposes how well a player played in his contract year and then after.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
True, but you could say that about any huge contract that is signed in the NFL. Not many people complaining about Russ' contract these days.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DomeHawk":14h56kpz said:
SoulfishHawk":14h56kpz said:

Outside of injuries, the most worrisome thing about that big contract is that the player will rest on his laurels.

I would like to see a stat that exposes how well a player played in his contract year and then after.

It's a valid concern, but Pete has built a great culture for this not to happen.

Yes, if this was Cleveland or the Jets I'd worry about giving Clowney 20M a year..........but not here. There's a solid foundation of accountability and leadership to where I'm just fine with it.

seabowl

Reaction score
seabowl":1o8aafom said:
Before last week his stock was considerably lower than what it's at today. Also I fear that once he's paid his production could drop as the incentive of a contract year is now gone.

Really good player but buyer beware for me.

Hearing that Clowney has a core muscle injury that will most likely need surgery at some point. This is exactly why you don't get emotional after one incredible performance on a guy. I want to resign him but I'm still at buyer beware as far as the price.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
When I saw the type contract Clark was looking for I knew he was gone. I liked him, but had faith Schneider and Carroll would do what they so often do so well, and man they did it. The Clowney signing had me dancing. I used to covet him while watching him with Houston. He is a prize. But he isn't all they got leveraging out of that $105M Clark contract. Got Collier and Ansah, plus some nifty draft picks for down the road, and come cap space as well. Can't expect every aspect of every transaction to work out they way you hope, but I'd have to say our personnel dept did a magical job in this case.
I look at Clowney as a "dream team" level addition.
Diggs another great get.
Thing about additions is it usually takes time for guys to come in and get set with a new system, then even more time to have the changed roster gel as a team. These guys are just starting to get there in the "gel" aspect. When they do we're gonna have what we've been salivating for.

hawks85

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1zcd2clc said:
Clowney isn't going anywhere. He will be signed to a huge contract once the season is over. Pete already stated they wont franchise him and cause a possible holdout. Clowney loves it here. He already stated that as well. There is no way in hell the Seahawks won't pay him.

seabowl

Reaction score
hawks85":2irhk327 said:
SoulfishHawk":2irhk327 said:
Clowney isn't going anywhere. He will be signed to a huge contract once the season is over. Pete already stated they wont franchise him and cause a possible holdout. Clowney loves it here. He already stated that as well. There is no way in hell the Seahawks won't pay him.

It's not that Pete said they won't franchise him but rather that was negotiated with Clownys agent already before he was traded here. He's very very good but I have concerns on a player in a contract year who is now hurt. We'll see how the season pans out to see what kind of money he should be paid.