Coaching Vacancies - You be the GM

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Oakland - Jack Del Rio (The Raiders job is terrible, sorry pehawk, but JDR makes a lot of sense)
Atlanta - Rex Ryan (I still think they should inquire about Nick Saban though and tell him to write a blank check)
NY Jets - Dan Quinn (Quinn is as good as gone, only question is where will he land.. I figure the Jets)
Buffalo - Hue Jackson (Got a raw deal in Oakland, the man can coach)
San Francisco - Vic Fangio (No better fit for Baalke .. he keeps the architect of that defense and a yes man to boot)
Chicago - Mike Shanahan (No better fit for Cutler)

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pehawk":horq6mel said:
JSeahawks":horq6mel said:
Wish more college coaches would make the jump, I feel like they're in general more fresh and innovative. I'd love to see what Urban Meyer would do in the nfl.

Totally agree. I think A&M dude gets a gig soon.

Gus Malzahn from Auburn is another i'd like to see make the jump.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":29m8z1xv said:
pehawk":29m8z1xv said:
JSeahawks":29m8z1xv said:
Wish more college coaches would make the jump, I feel like they're in general more fresh and innovative. I'd love to see what Urban Meyer would do in the nfl.

Agreed.

Urban would be fun. He'd be lovely to hate if he got good too. He's like a non-aspergers Harbaugh.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I'd like see Mora back in the NFL so I could watch him fail again...sorry that was my inner Husky speaking

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So with Buffalo hiring Rex Ryan we're down to five openings. With Baltimore now out of the playoffs, there's talk of both the Jets and the Bears bringing in Gary Kubiak for an interview, with Chicago being "seriously interested".

volsunghawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3gr9c2mv said:
pehawk":3gr9c2mv said:
JSeahawks":3gr9c2mv said:

The NFL needs to keep its damn dirty hands off of Malzahn. At least for a few more years.

And we need to add Denver to our list now.

Side note: Is it just me, or is this one of the more chaotic coaching carousels in recent history? Buffalo, Denver, SF, Atlanta, NYJ, Chicago, Oakland. That's almost a quarter of the league. And we're finally not really seeing those old names trotted out - Gruden, Cowher, etc. - for the most part.

There's a part of me that would love to see Denver hire a defensive-minded coach who would then name Manning as the OC. Let Manning transition into coaching by going that old player-coach route.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3jlih0uu said:
So with Buffalo hiring Rex Ryan we're down to five openings. With Baltimore now out of the playoffs, there's talk of both the Jets and the Bears bringing in Gary Kubiak for an interview, with Chicago being "seriously interested".
Sounds like they're still trying to fix Cutler. Suppose they have no choice considering what he's being paid. Won't work though. If I'm Kubiak, I'd avoid that situation like the plague.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Now that Fox is available, there are new rumors about Chicago wanting to bring him in. Sounds like the new GM there doesn't really know what he's doing yet.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1m75lxgu said:
SeatownJay":1m75lxgu said:
Sounds like they're still trying to fix Cutler. Suppose they have no choice considering what he's being paid. Won't work though. If I'm Kubiak, I'd avoid that situation like the plague.

Kubiak said previously that he was not interviewing for any HC jobs and he was staying in Baltimore. Of course, this is before the position in Denver (where his old teammate Elway runs things) opened up. I think if Kubiak changes course and leaves Baltimore, it'll only be for Denver.

The Chicago-Fox rumors stem primarily from the new Chicago GM being an old NFC South guy and familiar with Fox.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The Bears I can see hiring Bowles..They want to play with that "Monsters of Midway" title ..Cutler is probaly gone..The other jobs...I know Quinn probaly has one of them..Others -meh

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Still think Quinn to Chicago and Bevell to Oakland.

Denver and a Shanahan return? Crazy enough to be possible. Atlanta takes Bowles.

What is interesting this year is that teams are waiting to fill the HC position because of the talent not yet available. Until Quinn is off the market, you may not see any more movement.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
These are WAGs but here goes:

San Francisco - Adam Gase
Oakland - Jack Del Rio
Atlanta - Dan Quinn
NY Jets - Todd Bowles
Chicago - John Fox
Denver - Kyle Shanahan

Scottemojo

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2oo800a4 said:

Oakland - Jack Del Rio
Atlanta - Dan Quinn
NY Jets - Todd Bowles
Chicago - John Fox
Denver - Kyle Shanahan
This list might end up 100 percent accurate. Even of Denver goes with another Elway crony like Kubiak or Shanny Sr., I will give yo credit for it.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1322f25o said:
hawkfan68":1322f25o said:

Oakland - Jack Del Rio
Atlanta - Dan Quinn
NY Jets - Todd Bowles
Chicago - John Fox
Denver - Kyle Shanahan
This list might end up 100 percent accurate. Even of Denver goes with another Elway crony like Kubiak or Shanny Sr., I will give yo credit for it.

Definitely looking like the front runner for "nailed it".

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":i483vh3g said:
hawkfan68":i483vh3g said:

Oakland - Jack Del Rio
Atlanta - Dan Quinn
NY Jets - Todd Bowles
Chicago - John Fox
Denver - Kyle Shanahan

Word. All good calls.

Do I get any credit for Del Rio? I mean, he's basically a younger Wade (Wilson) Phillps.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":u1ja5jh2 said:
Scottemojo":u1ja5jh2 said:
hawkfan68":u1ja5jh2 said:

Oakland - Jack Del Rio
Atlanta - Dan Quinn
NY Jets - Todd Bowles
Chicago - John Fox
Denver - Kyle Shanahan

Word. All good calls.

Do I get any credit for Del Rio? I mean, he's basically a younger Wade (Wilson) Phillps.
Whatever makes you happy, love.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":nzrhd7qm said:

I hate it when you mock my feelings. You aren't the same Scotte I fell in love with.

Bronco's and the 49ers now appear to be the franchises likely to pull someone out of a crevice.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":2l97azgx said:
Scottemojo":2l97azgx said:

I hate it when you mock my feelings. You aren't the same Scotte I fell in love with.

Bronco's and the 49ers now appear to be the franchises likely to pull someone out of a crevice.
Yes, I was being patronizing. So, so very sorry.

I think the Broncos have a name in mind, and it will be an extension of Elway, which makes him not so different than Jed or Trent, really. I wonder if the Gase leak this morning was all about seeing if the Broncos will up the ante? I suspect Gase would be locked up already if the Broncos wanted him, though.