Comp Picks

Reaction score
Great news super exited for this draft! Hope they are better than some of our recent picks. We need to nail this one n infuse this team with some talent! I got a good feeling about this 1!

sutz

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1n0dykiv said:
chris98251":1n0dykiv said:
Lets just make an imaginary 4th round pick, we always seem to cut that guy anyway. Keep the third.

Star Trek The original series Red shirt = 4th round pick.
That poor crewman #3. Never survived being beamed down. :(

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I had forgotten about the pick the team acquired from Carolina in the 7th and so the team now has 8 picks in the draft with 5 picks in the top 106.

Lots of ammo for JS to move up or down depending on what players he's tagetting and who falls. This was great news today to get the 2nd 3rd rd. comp pick.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Additionally, seeing as they won't be losing anyone really comp pick worthy in free agency this offseason they may feel a little more emboldened to go after the right outside free agent or two.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2m3herrb said:
LolaRox":2m3herrb said:
According to Over The Cap Seahawks have 5 picks in the top 106 -

Round 1 - #26
Round 2 - #58
Round 3 - #90
Round 3 - #102
Round 3 - #106
Round 6 - #210
Round 7 - #226
Round 7 - #244

https://overthecap.com/draft

drrew":2m3herrb said:
Bronco's thought they were pulling a fast one with the Okung contract but the NFL counted the entire contract in the compensation calculations.

Lots of draft capital for JS/PC to work with, hoping to see some magic.

Yes they did, but it looks like it backfired. Okung's contract cost them the top compensatory pick for Brock Osweiler. They still received 4 picks but only one 3rd rounder.
With 3 third round picks that sets up nicely to trade down and get picks in the 4th and 5th rounds. :2thumbs:

Yup it sets us up nicely to use that #90 to trade down for a 4th and 5th, so the Seahawks don't have to play that game with #26 pick.

As well as trade chips to trade up.

This was a much needed surprise, and it'll be funny if we re-sign Okung back too.

randomation

Reaction score
Could we package 102 with 26 to move up to between 15-19? I think we can get either Ram or Bolles there and that seems well worth it with two more picks in the third. As long as we pick before the Broncos I think we can get one of those two of course Cable will probably take Robinson since we obviously don't need people who know how to pass block :pukeface:

pcbball12

Reaction score
randomation":37b0my0h said:
Could we package 102 with 26 to move up to between 15-19? I think we can get either Ram or Bolles there and that seems well worth it with two more picks in the third. As long as we pick before the Broncos I think we can get one of those two of course Cable will probably take Robinson since we obviously don't need people who know how to pass block :pukeface:
Cam Robinson is actually pretty good in pass pro. He anchors really well, you will never see him beat with a bull rush. Pretty good feet too. Plus, he is a complete mauler in the run game. Watch him against Myles Garrett (the best player in the draft). He handles him all game long. Garrett won 2 snaps the whole game from my count and they were both in the run game.

Robinson is the best Tackle prospect I have seen out of Alabama. I know Carpenter and the Kouandjo's scare some off of the 1st round hype, but his tape is so much better than all of those guys.

LolaRox

Reaction score
I edited my above post from overthecap.com, but wanted to bring attention to the error.

According to other posts I'm seeing, SEA pick #244 was traded to OAK for McDonald back in September and shouldn't be listed.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/835259535715545088[/tweet]

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I was wrong with my post above and was unaware of the trade for Dewey McDonald costing the team a 7th. All in all though the additional compensatory 3rd Rd pick is pretty exciting. Lots of draft capital for JS.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
This is amazing news. However, it would be even better, if we could only remember how to draft again.
We lost our draft mojo a few years ago and have been struggling with lots of very average talent on the roster.
If we miss again in this draft, we could be in serious trouble giving our aging/injury-prone stars.

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
kobebryant":229l50qe said:
Additionally, seeing as they won't be losing anyone really comp pick worthy in free agency this offseason they may feel a little more emboldened to go after the right outside free agent or two.

This. I think the key to PC/JS decision making on what level of free agents they go after. This is the year to go ahead and pay a top dollar amount on a short term deal for an all pro type or two.

Andrew Whitworth on two year deal? He is still top notch, can lead the young bucks by example and his high salary would not cause waves as he is a proven high value commodity. Let him mentor Fant for two seasons. Maybe bring back Breno G on a one year deal at RT. He can teach some nasty to these guys as well.

Whitworth-Glowinski-Britt-Ifedi-Breno is a Superbowl worthy line IMO. Not sure if Gilliam and Fant are capable at backing up G position though. It would be tough to carry four pure tackles on the roster. In 2018, Ifedi would move to RT.

Draft defense early and often! Not necessarily in this order, but getting a DT, S, CB, LB with first four picks or at least three of four with first four picks is important to keep this teams identity in tact as the eventual turnover in core personnel takes place in 2019 and 2020.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1wqbar1g said:
Eleven 3rd round comp picks rewarded? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good on the Hawks for nabbing two of those 3rds this year, because the NFL really has to do redo the formula.

:D

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1nprb31y said:
Let's bet avatars on it. If he goes back to the Hawks its a draw. If he nets a 4th or higher comp pick you get to pick my avatar for a month, and if he nets a 5th round or lower comp pick I get to pick your avatar for a month. :th2thumbs:

:snack:

HawkGA

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2ckquju5 said:
This is amazing news. However, it would be even better, if we could only remember how to draft again.
We lost our draft mojo a few years ago and have been struggling with lots of very average talent on the roster.
If we miss again in this draft, we could be in serious trouble giving our aging/injury-prone stars.

I think last year's draft was fine. Better than the previous two but not as good as 2013. But if anybody is hoping for a 2013 draft every year, well, get ready for disappointment.

RiverDog

Reaction score
randomation":1mcjz1ax said:

I just started a thread over in the draft forum on this subject.

We almost never trade up. Our M.O. has always been to trade down. Secondly, we don't have a single pick in Rounds 4 and 5, so there's a huge gap between our compensatory pick at #106 and our 6th round pick at #210. Teams don't like to be in a spot like that because they can't be opportunistic and grab a player that starts to fall.

So...look for us to trade one or both of those comp picks for slots in the 4th and/or 5th rounds.

Finally, a rule change (allowing the trading of compensatory picks) that helps us more than it helps other teams.