Compete for backup job

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1cmn17hh said:
XxXdragonXxX":1cmn17hh said:
So you dont think that every NFL team and their scouting department keeps a list of available free agents? Ok...im done here.
Of course I do. But it certainly wouldn't be for public consumption.

And nobody said anything about the public.

To the point. Jackson is not being considered. Competition over.

NJlargent

Reaction score
This competition would be over real quick. If we needed a score late in the 4th and Russ was hurt, no one in their right mind would pick Jackson or Boykin over Kaepernick. C'mon the dude lead a team to the Super Bowl and if not for Sherm, he would have done it back to back. If they bring in Kaepernick, he is unquestionably #2.

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
NJlargent":1wf51w51 said:
This competition would be over real quick. If we needed a score late in the 4th and Russ was hurt, no one in their right mind would pick Jackson or Boykin over Kaepernick. C'mon the dude lead a team to the Super Bowl and if not for Sherm, he would have done it back to back. If they bring in Kaepernick, he is unquestionably #2.
Then it should be easy for him to win a training camp battle. Besides, there are many dimensions to being a backup and I'm not sure Kaepernick could check all the boxes. A camp tryout would be a good tool in determining that.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2kucyqoj said:
NJlargent":2kucyqoj said:
Then it should be easy for him to win a training camp battle. Besides, there are many dimensions to being a backup and I'm not sure Kaepernick could check all the boxes. A camp tryout would be a good tool in determining that.

If PC/JS don't bring him in for a tryout, what does (should) that tell you? Maybe one or more of the following:
  • -->They've already seen the tape on TJ and know what he would bring and it doesn't reflect the team's values/ideal
    -->There are only so many spots to bring in people and TJ doesn't even warrant a tryout
    -->The front office is overlooking more than adequate talent thus calling into question their leadership ability or staff knowledge
    -->There are off-field issues the staff knows about that we're not privy to
    -->TJ doesn't want to come back
    -->Some people cannot let go and move on even in the face of evidence and thus live in a state of unnecessary wonderment and confusion why others just don't see it their way

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
All of those possibilities you mentioned could go into the decision, sure, as could something as basic as not meeting Kaepernick's salary demands. But as far as my proposal, I think it would make for a competitive camp and would be a defenitive answer to many of the lingering doubts.

nash72

Reaction score
Tjack wouldnt work behind this line. I hate Kap and doubt I could even root for him in a Seahawk uniform, but at least he can run and escape the rush sometimes. Tjack would be killed back there. There is no competition between those two. Saying that, i'm rooting for Boykins.

themunn

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1crcaash said:
hawkfan68":1crcaash said:
One piece of information is that Kaep has a better interception percentage which means he turns the ball over less. This is one of the factors that PC regards highly. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_int_perc_career.htm. Last season Kaep threw for 16 TDs and just 4 int. That's pretty darn good for a backup QB.
Was that due to a more conservative system? I see when he was playing for Harbaugh, he was throwing for 3,000 yards, but was up in double digits in interceptions.

21 interceptions in 39 starts under Harbaugh, though 7 of those were against Seattle. That's still a pretty good record. And I don't think anybody has ever called Chip Kelly a conservative coach.

As for Jackson, he's been a backup since 2011 and attempted a grand total of 20 passes over the past 5 seasons. I was a big fan of him when he was here, thought he went through a lot of adversity in that 2011 season and was a great coin tosser too, but Jackson hasn't started a single game since before Kaepernick started his 1st, there's no competition here, and all you're doing is taking away vital reps from a guy who you might need to come in at a pinch to run the offense if your starter goes down.

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
You know, I included Tarvaris in this mix, but let's be honest, he's been out of football going on a year now and who knows if he's in shape, his heart is in it, his legal remedies are behind him, whether or not he made a go of it with his wife. I don't know any of it. It's actually kind of fascinating to me that there hasn't been one peep about it. Of course, if he were eligible to make a return, I'd be all in favor of it and think he would stand a good chance to join Russ in the QB room.

But this idea wasn't just about Tarvaris. Moreso, I was just trying to get across that I think Kaepernick should have to earn the job and at least beat out Boykin to prove his mettle. You do that by dangling a non-guaranteed deal and if he doesn't rise to the challenge, he can hit the road. If he wins the job on his talent by doing it this way, our fans would see him for the football value he brings to the team and not so much for his other sideline endeavors.

Same applies to Boykin, although he is under contract, but as a UDFA, I'm guessing that's a non-guaranteed deal as well. To get back in our good graces, he would need to really buckle down the rest of this offseason so that he can again win the trust of the team and our own fans'. He's the type of guy Sargent Largent would really like to succeed so as to peddle him for a good compensatory pick 2-3 years down the road. That would be a good tradeoff.

I think in accordance with the way Pete likes to do things, he'd like to find a hungry up-and-comer out there that would want to learn and put forth a strong effort every day. A guy who's fire would be welcomed in the huddle and in the building. Are any of those guys out there? Not sure. But I'd expect our scouts are looking.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3nxb4g41 said:
We should bring in Charlie Whitehurst also.

For sure! Dilfer just got released from the ESPN Bristols, let's bring in him for our multi mega tryout too along with free agent Matt Leinart-afterall, he was good enough to start for Pete many years back, therefore under the logic of this thread, he should be good enough now.

And for our forthcoming tv special, Combine for the Network Stars, let's bring in Burt Reynolds who played a QB in The Longest Yard and Scott Bakula who played QB in Unnecessary Roughness. I can't wait for all the colossal competition!

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Sioux,

In all seriousness, I understand what it's like to have a favorite player that you want to see play until their 40s-I wanted Julio Franco, Goose Gossage and others to play forever. But you need to let this go-Tarvaris' time in the NFL has passed. It just happens. He played til he was 32-that's pretty dang good in this league, but it's time for everyone to move on.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
There's a lot of talk about the approval of the fans. As a fan you buy your ticket to the game which entitles you to entry to the stadium and a seat as long as you behave. That's it. You don't get to call the plays or pick the starters and you sure as heck don't get to have a say in who the team adds or cuts.

PC and JS have been hired to assemble and present the best possible team they can, and over the past 6 years they have done just that. For better or worse they are making the playoffs annually, and have brought us our only Super Bowl trophy - and damn near brought us another one.

And they did it all without asking the opinion of the fans, because they don't need our opinions to run the team.

They don't need to hold any competitions so we can criticise and compare the potential candidates for backup QB. That's absurd. They are far more capable than we will ever be to make the determination of who fits with the team structure and the salary cap. They don't need our approval.

And to be perfectly cynical about the whole thing, the fans will fill the seats regardless if the backup QB is Adolf Hitler as long as the team is making the playoffs, so the political views of the backup QB are completely irrelevant.

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1ohaan10 said:
Sioux,

In all seriousness, I understand what it's like to have a favorite player that you want to see play until their 40s-I wanted Julio Franco, Goose Gossage and others to play forever. But you need to let this go-Tarvaris' time in the NFL has passed. It just happens. He played til he was 32-that's pretty dang good in this league, but it's time for everyone to move on.

I understand what you're saying, but I'd at least like to know the details as to why he wouldn't be considered. He is 34, which isn't ancient in terms of a backup quarterback. And it's been less than a year that he figured into the plans of the team bringing him back for their fourth straight season as the understudy. I realize the offseason legal issue that went down in July, but as I said and we've talked about before, all charges were dropped and he was out of the NFL all of last season. Perhaps he was required to do counselling ... but that's just speculation again. It is a little bewildering to me that he doesn't even merit a tryout. So hence my hypothetical scenario that started this thread. But again, even with T-Jack out of the equation, I think Kaepernick should have to earn the backup job instead of it just being handed to him.

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2mi7wxnn said:
There's a lot of talk about the approval of the fans. As a fan you buy your ticket to the game which entitles you to entry to the stadium and a seat as long as you behave. That's it. You don't get to call the plays or pick the starters and you sure as heck don't get to have a say in who the team adds or cuts.

PC and JS have been hired to assemble and present the best possible team they can, and over the past 6 years they have done just that. For better or worse they are making the playoffs annually, and have brought us our only Super Bowl trophy - and damn near brought us another one.

And they did it all without asking the opinion of the fans, because they don't need our opinions to run the team.

They don't need to hold any competitions so we can criticise and compare the potential candidates for backup QB. That's absurd. They are far more capable than we will ever be to make the determination of who fits with the team structure and the salary cap. They don't need our approval.

And to be perfectly cynical about the whole thing, the fans will fill the seats regardless if the backup QB is Adolf Hitler as long as the team is making the playoffs, so the political views of the backup QB are completely irrelevant.
Yes, I understand all of that. It's pretty basic. But from a PR standpoint it wouldn't hurt.

It's modus operandi for the Hawks to have minicamp and training camp competition for any spot, and that includes the quarterback position. Nobody's going to be pushing Russ out of the starter's spot, but the backup spot could be a proving ground worth observing and it's been done before. You need the extra arms in camp anyhow with the inflated roster.

No matter what, the coaching staff is going to run it as a competition, even if it's just Heaps vs. Boykin. More than anything, if Kaep is involved, I want to see his desire and his grit, especially considering he'll be playing for $2 million or so. Will that have any bearing on how he handles himself?

massari

Reaction score
Would be sweet if they could bring in Kaep+RG3+Manziel to tryout and compete with Boykin+Heaps.

May the best man win.

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
massari":2pfv4m4c said:
Would be sweet if they could bring in Kaep+RG3+Manziel to tryout and compete with Boykin+Heaps.

May the best man win.
If they're all on non-guaranteed contracts with a modest injury clause, why the heck not?

chris98251

Reaction score
Tim Tebow may want another shot also.

Or we could trade for Teddy Bridgewater and let him heal up while Boykin works through his mess and see what happens.

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":22poqw07 said:
Tim Tebow may want another shot also.

Or we could trade for Teddy Bridgewater and let him heal up while Boykin works through his mess and see what happens.
I thought I heard the Mets were bringing him up. Haven't paid much attention to MLB this year.