Could Payton be worse than Hackett?

warden

Reaction score
The Broncos defense has regressed from last year which doesn't bold well for them. Bronco fans seem pretty upset at their DC right now. Gonna be interesting to see how they handle playing vs the Dolphins. It could get brutal.
Lost some key components on defense for cap savings. That is what happens when you give the QB all the money

Ozzy

Reaction score
Yes and no. He's still taking a ton of unnecessary hits, sacked 7 times yesterday. At this rate he isn't going to make it through the season. He will have games with some good throws, but his top 10 QB days are gone.
You may be right on the top 10 point.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Russell currently has 99 NFL INT's and his career QB rating has fallen to 100.3, I'm sure going above & below 100 is going to hurt. He was a completed Hail Mary and a bad non call on a 2-point conversion play from reviving mile high magic. Now that the mint green tux is put away, that "Let's Ride" catch phrase done with and Me3 is out of the building, maybe now he can salvage his legacy.
Whether he turns it around or not RW will forever be remembered as a self polarizing figure who twice went from greatness to goat like no other ever.

Lennie

Reaction score
LMFAO. ;)

Like him asking Kelce if Harry Potter fans were going to hell.

I like the Daniel and the lions den thing!

Kelce is awesome. Wish all NFL players spoke with refreshing honesty like him. Hope Taylor doesn’t change him😂

strohmin

Reaction score
Hacket was never a bad coach. He was a new headcoach who unfortunately got stuck with a overrated diva qb who didnt really give a crap about being a real leader. If he would have gotten a rookie qb or even a qb without an ego, he most likely would have done much better. He also would have had a chance to coach a second year.

knownone

Reaction score
I think Russell is a losing player now. He's still capable of putting up good stats, but his style is heavily dependent on big plays. He could offset that dependence in the past by extending drives/plays with his legs, but he's no longer capable of doing that consistently. So, as Throwdown's attachment notes, he has multiple drives with zero productivity. Those are not obvious on his stat sheet or highlight reel, but their impact is dramatic: It's difficult to win games when your offense struggles to do anything for two straight quarters. It's even more difficult when your QB is turning the ball over.

Part of this is the shift in how the NFL is played. If this were the early 2000s, Russ would still be an elite QB. But winning in today's NFL is more about efficiency and consistency. Russell's style lends itself to the opposite.

Scout

Reaction score
Broncos defense isn't that bad. It is that the Broncos O collapses in the second half of games this season. That a theme dating back to last season but the Broncos had a super bowl caliber defense last year This year their defense is more than good enough to be 2-0 if the offense scores TDs in the second half of games.

Not a fan of the Broncos going with Vance Joseph as the new DC, but that defense is more than good enough. Are they elite? No but you don't need an elite defense to win in the modern NFL.

The problem is the offense is tiring out the Broncos D. And the Broncos D is lacking key players they had last season so they are thin with depth/quality.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
He hit on explosives and then crapped the bed on 3rd down and torpedoed a few key possessions.

The way that game plays out with those long TDs early and drying up with the other team eventually coming back really reminded me of the home opener in 2021 against the Titans. It played out the same way. IIRC the only score in the second half came off a bomb vs a blown coverage

Scout

Reaction score
The way that game plays out with those long TDs early and drying up with the other team eventually coming back really reminded me of the home opener in 2021 against the Titans. It played out the same way. IIRC the only score in the second half came off a bomb vs a blown coverage
If you examine a lot of the completed deeps passes of RW from last season a lot of them came from blown coverages or throwing a very accurate ball between double coverage. So RW is capable of throwing accurately downfield even at this stage of his career. But he is making risky throws downfield by rolling the dice which is not congruent with what he was earlier in his career. Earlier in his career he did play hero ball but he always protected the football. By not protecting the football he is trying to force plays and that is the downside of hero ball with negative plays or drive killing errors (eg taking sacks at the worst possible times).

RW luck is running out.

NoGain

Reaction score
LMFAO. ;)

Like him asking Kelce if Harry Potter fans were going to hell.

I like the Daniel and the lions den thing!

If this was an accurate take (seems fairly so), RW is kind of a very low level philosophical sort. I mean, really, Harry Potter fans going to hell? LOL He's just a weird guy. Not very bright in many ways, and definitely cringe worthy.

Threedee

Reaction score
So the Broncos are 0-2 after playing the Raiders and Commanders, probably both in the bottom 10 in the league.
Wouldn't it be ironic if they end up with a worse record than last season after what Payton said about Hackett.
Peyton is a bit of a douche with a lot of confidence. He will have no qualms about putting Wilson in his proper place. This will not be a partnership if he thinks Wilson is underperforming.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
If this was an accurate take (seems fairly so), RW is kind of a very low level philosophical sort. I mean, really, Harry Potter fans going to hell? LOL He's just a weird guy. Not very bright in many ways, and definitely cringe worthy.
The sports memery is generally an Onionesque sports site.

GemCity

Reaction score
Think about this… what if you pulled up at your job with your own entourage? What if you required your own office and coaches to help you do your work?

What if your coworkers had to schedule an actual meeting to talk to you? They couldn’t just pass by you in the hallway and bring up a topic. They had to actually no shit,schedule a meeting.

I think he’s a complete fraud. He can talk about Harry Potter and going to hell but, his wife can go out and show her cheeks in see-through outfits? Not that I mind…I think Ciara is hot but…I’m also not out telling people they’re going to hell for watching Harry Potter. Da Fuq?

I do appreciate his time here. But, he’s also a great deal at fault for us not taking down three SBs in a row. Think about all of the dumb shit we did to appease this asshole?

I usually don’t track guys other than current Seahawks (Bobby was an exception last year). But, seeing me3 fail makes me……moist.

F em.

Last edited:

Mizak

Reaction score
I think Wilson is slow, not in the mentally slow but it takes him 3 to 5 seconds to process information, couple of seconds for him to realize the play the HC wants him to run, slow in recognizing if blitzes are coming or what not. Might have to do with the concussions while he was in Seattle.