Could the Rams game be a trap game for us?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Cardinals game is a textbook "trap game" question.

Ain't no one inside our outside the organization should be thinking the Rams game is an easy game. Rams just destroyed the Cards, have their full compliment of WR's, Gurley looks good and a defense that has never NOT given us fits.......................AND they're fighting for their playoff lives.

This is their SB.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":3ipxgnl4 said:
Are we overlooking the Rams and thinking this a sure W?

We fans may be (although I don't think most are), but I seriously doubt that this team overlooks anyone. The Rams are an especially tough team for us year in and year out. Add in the huge win they got last week, the fact that they are playing for their playoff lives, and the fact that we can clinch a playoff spot this weekend. I would be shocked to learn that any players or coaches were overlooking this week.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":cqs1x6lv said:
Are we overlooking the Rams and thinking this a sure W?

Wouldnt a trap game have to have a bigger game the following week that is taking our attention away from the task at hand?

The Rams are a divisional opponent who is still (very somewhat) chasing us and a playoff spot. A VERY talented Rams team. Next week we play a Carolina team that just lost to the Redskins.......

So no.

James in PA

Reaction score
With the way they just handled Arizona and our recent history with the Rams, NO WAY is anyone overlooking them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":9yyjm23k said:

This is a great point. I hadn't even really considered it, mainly because I get hyper focused on the opponent at hand. It's very likely that we have the playoffs clinched and are only needing a win against the niners to clinch the division and possibly a bye in the first round, so that Cardinal game is the definition of a trap game. I still think that we take care of business "1 week at a time" and all.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
No. They know rams are going to come out flying around and playing last gasp football.

sutz

Reaction score
If you believe in such things, it could be, I guess. I don't think the players and coaches believe in it.

They believe in 1-0 every week.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nah, huge division rival. Still a really good team. I can't imagine anyone honestly thinks it's an easy win. In fact, a loss wouldn't be because the team took them lightly. They are all fully aware how big this game is and how good the Rams are.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
If you believe in trap games, then you don't believe in Pete's culture.

These guys get hammered into them every day that each game is a championship opportunity and no one game is more important than the next.

I doubt any player is looking beyond the Rams to Carolina. In fact I suspect many players don't even know that Carolina is next on the schedule after the Rams. They are that indoctrinated.

And FWIW, Arizona is the only potential trap game left on our schedule. And I don't think the Hawks will fall for it because it's not their way.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This game isn't anything close to being a trap game. The Rams are in the thick of the playoff race, are coming off an authoritative victory and the Seahawks will know they have a fist fight on their hands for all 60 minutes Sunday Night.

Now the Cardinals game could be the trap game. They know how to beat us at home inexplicably enough. I could see us looking past them a bit, looking for what is likely the game against the 49ers for all the marbles.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The game is currently viewed as a toss up at most Vegas sports books with split betting and no favorite.

The game also could not be more important for the Rams. A win keeps them in the wild card race whereas a loss plummets their playoff chances all the way down to single digits. They play @Dal and @SF the next two weeks so if they are going to make a playoff push it must begin Sunday night for them.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ew8yqiz8 said:

Ain't no one inside our outside the organization should be thinking the Rams game is an easy game. Rams just destroyed the Cards, have their full compliment of WR's, Gurley looks good and a defense that has never NOT given us fits.......................AND they're fighting for their playoff lives.

This is their SB.

I don't think the team is overlooking them, but I do think the short week could provide a bit of a challenge. Fortunately it will be the late, late game Sunday night!

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I think not only this game but the other two before SF could be trap games with teams out or nearly out of the playoffs being especially dangerous. Look what happened to Carolina and the Eagles just last week, and it's not like it was easy-peasy against Eagles for us.

I think we have to go in there every game with a playoff mindset and be just as hungry for those wins as against SF or in the playoffs.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There are no trap games, curses, a jinx....none of it. The team will be fired up for every opponent, especially in December. Our being too overconfident as fans has zero impact on the game. This particular team is very focused and they will be ready to roll on Sunday night. And they'll be ready to roll vs. so called "weak" opponents like the Cards and Panthers. There is no margin for error if they want one of those top 2 seeds. No way in hell this team overlooks any of their upcoming opponents. And IF they lose a game, it's not because it was a trap or they weren't prepared. It will be because the other team makes more plays when it matters.

nanomoz

Reaction score
No.

The Rams aren't pushovers. Esp. against Seattle. Nothing about this is "trap game." Or that phrase has completely lost its meaning.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":24ck5mre said:
Sgt. Largent":24ck5mre said:

This is their SB.

I don't think the team is overlooking them, but I do think the short week could provide a bit of a challenge. Fortunately it will be the late, late game Sunday night!

I agree, and I was only answering the thread question.

Pete's always done a great job with keeping the team focused on the game at hand, and not looking ahead. I know it's a cheesy "every weeks a championship week" mantra, but that truly is how Pete coaches.......and IMO also the main reason we play so well under pressure.

Other teams let the moment and important of the game get to them. The great teams are the ones that are able to compartmentalize each game, and not treat it any bigger or lesser than it is.

Latest posts