Dan Campbell has no regrets

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Ravens maybe - they’ve got a seasoned coach - Lions - dunno - Dan gamble lives and dies by risk - and sometimes it is good to approach things differently - being up 3 scores midway through the 3rd changes the game - but we know what happened.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
They will be hungrier and draft another receiver
Reynolds should have caught the ball
I feel like our guys would have so big diff btwn that n the dumbest call in a SB almost ever

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No worries. In five years, the Lions will be the dynasty that we all hate.

I doubt it, even Campbell said as much in his post game presser.

We know this ourselves thinking we had the next great dynasty. That's not how this league works outside of the Patriots. It's a league built to not allow dynasties.

The Lions will have their coaches and players poached, and it'll be twice as hard to get back to another NFC Championship game, let alone winning 2-3 SB's.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
He should have taken the points. It's not easy to get to the Bowl. Seattle hasn't been since... 2015?? Saying that just makes me feel old 👴.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

After all Detroit has been through, Dan Campbell doesn't regret costing his team & the fans a chance to be in the Superbowl for the first time in franchise history? 😔
And he shouldn't.

cymatica

Reaction score
Being aggressive got them to the Championship game. Don't change who you are. If the wr catches an easy ball then it's a great decision. The players choked, several dropped passes, fumble, dropped interception, downing a perfect punt in the endzone

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Being aggressive got them to the Championship game. Don't change who you are. If the wr catches an easy ball then it's a great decision. The players choked, several dropped passes, fumble, dropped interception, downing a perfect punt in the endzone

To me this is a cop out.

"Changing who you are" IS a necessity of being a great coach. You style, schemes and situational decision making has to be pliable, not rigid.

Knowing the gravity of the situation, what's going on in the game, what your opponent is doing, who has the momentum, all of it matters.

And yesterday when SF had all the momentum? Had the crowd in a frenzy? Your team was gripping, dropping balls, missing tackles, looked gassed? You kick the damn FG to grab some momentum back and stop some of the bleeding.

So nah, people are just saying nonsense if they're defending Campbell, and all the other over-analytics coaches who continue to put their teams in bad spots to lose games. Especially one of this magnitude.

cymatica

Reaction score
To me this is a cop out.

"Changing who you are" IS a necessity of being a great coach. You style, schemes and situational decision making has to be pliable, not rigid.

Knowing the gravity of the situation, what's going on in the game, what your opponent is doing, who has the momentum, all of it matters.

And yesterday when SF had all the momentum? Had the crowd in a frenzy? Your team was gripping, dropping balls, missing tackles, looked gassed? You kick the damn FG to grab some momentum back and stop some of the bleeding.

So nah, people are just saying nonsense if they're defending Campbell, and all the other over-analytics coaches who continue to put their teams in bad spots to lose games. Especially one of this magnitude.
Or you convert on 4th to kill all the momentum SF had. If the players didn't make just a handful of bad mistakes, Lions win that game even with the missed 4th down. If they call a pass on 3rd and goal, then they save a timeout and don't need an onside kick.

So many factors other than a failed 4th down attempt lost that game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Or you convert on 4th to kill all the momentum SF had. If the players didn't make just a handful of bad mistakes, Lions win that game even with the missed 4th down. If they call a pass on 3rd and goal, then they save a timeout and don't need an onside kick.

So many factors other than a failed 4th down attempt lost that game.

I'm not arguing about any of this, other than the excuse of "well that's what got them there so that = IMPOSSIBLE TO NOT GO FOR IT."

Yes, even if you're a coach that likes to go for it, doesn't mean you shouldn't have the decision making skills to understand the gravity of the situation, err on the side of situational caution and be more pliable.

If the Lions grabbed the momentum, had been executing still at a high level in the 2nd half and saw a worn down Niner defense to put a knife in their hearts? Sure, I see going for it.

But that's not what was happening. In fact, it was the complete opposite of it.

xray

Reaction score
Why does everyone assume that FG would be made ? Weren't there missed easy FGs all across the NFL this season ? BTW...SF slept through the 1st half . Just sayin .

cymatica

Reaction score
I'm not arguing about any of this, other than the excuse of "well that's what got them there so that = IMPOSSIBLE TO NOT GO FOR IT."

Yes, even if you're a coach that likes to go for it, doesn't mean you shouldn't have the decision making skills to understand the gravity of the situation, err on the side of situational caution and be more pliable.

If the Lions grabbed the momentum, had been executing still at a high level in the 2nd half and saw a worn down Niner defense to put a knife in their hearts? Sure, I see going for it.

But that's not what was happening. In fact, it was the complete opposite of it.
Did I say "IMPOSSIBLE TO NOT GO FOR IT" ? No, that's you projecting by saying it's impossible not to kick the fg. Either decision is ok in my book, I'm simply saying being aggressive didn't lose the game. 45 yards isn't a chip shot, and the Lions have been going for it all year with great success and they have a top offense with a great play caller. The play worked, the player didn't execute.

Bottom line is Dan Campbell trusted one of the best offenses to get a couple yards, not a bad decision, it just didn't happen to work because the receiver dropped it. It's the same kind of hindsight when people said the Huskies should have kneeled the ball and punted to Texas, as if they knew Johnson would have been injured.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Did I say "IMPOSSIBLE TO NOT GO FOR IT" ? No, that's you projecting by saying it's impossible not to kick the fg. Either decision is ok in my book, I'm simply saying being aggressive didn't lose the game. 45 yards isn't a chip shot, and the Lions have been going for it all year with great success and they have a top offense with a great play caller. The play worked, the player didn't execute.

Bottom line is Dan Campbell trusted one of the best offenses to get a couple yards, not a bad decision, it just didn't happen to work because the receiver dropped it. It's the same kind of hindsight when people said the Huskies should have kneeled the ball and punted to Texas, as if they knew Johnson would have been injured.

I also criticize Harbaugh for going for it yesterday on his own 30, even though they converted.

So no, this isn't me, or anyone criticizing Campbell because it didn't work. I just don't believe in giving coaches free passes because "that's just how they coach."

Seems to be a new trend with the analytics driven coaches. Hell, I don't even know if Campbell is an analytics coach, I just think he's an impulsive emotional coach that doesn't like surrendering. Which in his mind is what he's doing when he punts or settles for FG's. Even if those were/are the right thing to do at the time.

chris98251

Reaction score
How do you change an analytics, by succeeding or failing at something to change the percentage of outcome. Be a pretty boring game to watch if everything was done using them, statistically safe every play.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
How do you change an analytics, by succeeding or failing at something to change the percentage of outcome. Be a pretty boring game to watch if everything was done using them, statistically safe every play.

You just described modern day baseball.

cymatica

Reaction score
I also criticize Harbaugh for going for it yesterday on his own 30, even though they converted.

So no, this isn't me, or anyone criticizing Campbell because it didn't work. I just don't believe in giving coaches free passes because "that's just how they coach."

Seems to be a new trend with the analytics driven coaches. Hell, I don't even know if Campbell is an analytics coach, I just think he's an impulsive emotional coach that doesn't like surrendering. Which in his mind is what he's doing when he punts or settles for FG's. Even if those were/are the right thing to do at the time.
It's not a free pass, it's how he's been coaching with the Lions and he elevated a pathetic franchise to the NFCCG. It was also a 45 yard field goal vs 4th and 2 with one of the best offenses, play callers, and olines. If the kicker missed the FG, then everyone would question why he didn't go for it.

Bottom line, that is not why they lost. Yeah, it may have been 1 factor in a whole list of reasons, but I put that on the bottom of the list if at all.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
It's not a free pass, it's how he's been coaching with the Lions and he elevated a pathetic franchise to the NFCCG. It was also a 45 yard field goal vs 4th and 2 with one of the best offenses, play callers, and olines. If the kicker missed the FG, then everyone would question why he didn't go for it.

Bottom line, that is not why they lost. Yeah, it may have been 1 factor in a whole list of reasons, but I put that on the bottom of the list if at all.
So some of the same logic can apply to your take. Converting 4&2 with the play they ran would mean a first down only, no guarantee they score a TDor FG after that.

Missing the FG would leave them in the same position as failing the 4th down. Making the kick instantly gives them a 3 score lead.

I like being aggressive and confident with 4th downs but even that approach comes with exceptions. And to me getting the 3 score lead and then taking a 3 minute commercial break before a kick off means no momentum for the 9ers.

Passing on the Fg attempt when they were down 3 was a little more understandable yet I still would’ve preferred to try for the tie at that point in the game. Put some pressure on the other teams plate and hope your D can make a big play.

cymatica

Reaction score
So some of the same logic can apply to your take. Converting 4&2 with the play they ran would mean a first down only, no guarantee they score a TD or FG after that.

Missing the FG would leave them in the same position as failing the 4th down. Making the kick instantly gives them a 3 score lead.
Which is why I think either decision is fine by me. 4th and short with a top oline and offense in enemy territory isn't a bad bet either.

Fade

Reaction score
Check Dan Campbell's record with Anthony Lynn as his OC. It ain't pretty.

They are done. They can still make the playoffs next year, as basically half the conference gets in every year, but--rah, rah, emotional leader coaches are not what wins championships in the modern NFL.

Ben Johnson was the brains of that operation. It reminds me of when Kyle left Quinn in ATL.

3 score game vs. 2 score game in the 2nd half if you kick the field goal. Fundamentally this must be understood as any NFL HC. This is the basics of the basics. Dan Campbell failed at what he could control.

Rat

Reaction score
I live in Michigan and people have been talking about this all day. I've been reminding them that it has been almost nine years now, and I still hear fairly regularly about how Marshawn should have gotten the ball at the one.