Darnell Dockett released by Cards / and just signed by SF

Uncle Si

Reaction score
What I'm taking from this is that the Cardinals are low balling their vets and hoping for loyalty. In this case, they got a little too cute.

I mean its business, but still. They've begged senior players Palmer, Fitz and now Dockett to help them out of the ridiculous contracts they gave them. One finally said no.

ringless

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1okb9qx1 said:
What I'm taking from this is that the Cardinals are low balling their vets and hoping for loyalty. In this case, they got a little too cute.

I mean its business, but still. They've begged senior players Palmer, Fitz and now Dockett to help them out of the ridiculous contracts they gave them. One finally said no.

I don't think they were getting cute. The fact that they stayed firm at 2.5 million says thats exactly what they thought he was worth. Last year his replacements didn't miss a beat when we went down and I think thats why they weren't willing to play more. Stinson will most likely play better than Dockett this year. Stinson in his rookie year was playing at a comparable level. One is your and entering his 2nd year, and one is 34 coming off a knee surgery. The Cardinals cut him and told him what the deal was and never moved from it and said if he wants to get paid to go get paid and thats what happened.

They obviously have a plan in place and he didn't fit the plan, and credit has to be given that they didn't budge. Yes, I was attached to Dockett. However since 2010 he doesn't even have 10 sacks combined in the last 4 seasons, and never over 50 tackles. He hasn't played a snap in 20 months at his age by the time the season starts. He has been on the decline and he can't be any better after the surgery. The FO made the decision that only half of the fans wanted.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ringless":31gge78q said:
Lockett came on the Radio yesterday and wanted to explain a few things.....

He said that he was willing to play for Arizona for less, however they would only offer 2.5 million and he wanted a little more. Dockett said he gave the Cardinals “two or three” chances to keep him and said he was willing to take less than what the 49ers offered, however the Cardinals would not budge from the 2.5 mark.

“When we couldn’t come to an agreement with that little bit of change to the contract, I knew then it was my time to go,” Dockett said.

Dockett said the two sides came within $500,000 but never could close the gap. During a near 20-minute interview, the clearly frustrated Dockett acknowledged the turn of events and leaving the team was unexpected.
“I was very shocked because I’ve always been a team player, I’ve always been loyal,” Dockett said.

The Cardinals began preparing for the future on the defensive line last season, drafting both Ed Stinson and Kareem Martin. Stinson, a fifth-round pick, played well before getting hurt late in the season and even Dockett had said on a couple of occasions Stinson reminded Dockett of him in his younger days.

Dockett: "I was willing to restructure my contract ... I was willing to take less money than what SF was offering."

Well I think that explains a lot. Dockett doesn't want to be where he is, and I think part of it was done in spite. I think this says a lot about the Cardinals, and the fact that they wouldn't budge and offer him 3 instead of 2.5 is telling considering the cap space we have 14-20 million (Palmer signed a restructure that hasn't been executed. I guess the team wanted to move on from him.

I think saying "he's not happy where he's at" is a bit strong, but I'd probably see it that way too if Frank Gore signed in Arizona and said something similar. Can't fault you for that.

Couple interesting things tho....

1) His comments about Tomsula. Both he and Hayne cited Tomsula specifically in why they signed in SF. Hayne said he'd written SF off his list until Tomsula got the job because Tomsula was the guy he really liked when he visited during the year. Docketts comments:

“For me, the head coach is a defensive line coach, and people fail to realize, man, this guy is awesome,” Dockett said. “After every game I played against San Francisco, he was one of the guys who always came over and we talked it up. He admired my game and admired what I bring to the table.”

2) I referenced a comment he made a few years ago about SF fans earlier in this thread. Found it. It stuck me as an odd thing to say at the time considering some of the other stuff he said over the years. Still not sure if he was being real or making a dig at Arizona fans.

DARNELL DOCKETT
@ddockett
San Fran has a sick ass fan base, always a pleasure to play here. They got some real loyal fans.
10:13 AM - 30 Dec 2012

3) Honestly, I really have no idea what to make of it. I like it, but not in love with it. If PFF is to be trusted then it looks like he's been a liability vs the run and a good pass-rusher...or the anti-Ray McDonald.

Should be fun tho. We'll see if this works out.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ringless":dr1mdgvp said:
Uncle Si":dr1mdgvp said:

I don't think they were getting cute. The fact that they stayed firm at 2.5 million says thats exactly what they thought he was worth. Last year his replacements didn't miss a beat when we went down and I think thats why they weren't willing to play more. Stinson will most likely play better than Dockett this year. Stinson in his rookie year was playing at a comparable level. One is your and entering his 2nd year, and one is 34 coming off a knee surgery. The Cardinals cut him and told him what the deal was and never moved from it and said if he wants to get paid to go get paid and thats what happened.

They obviously have a plan in place and he didn't fit the plan, and credit has to be given that they didn't budge. Yes, I was attached to Dockett. However since 2010 he doesn't even have 10 sacks combined in the last 4 seasons, and never over 50 tackles. He hasn't played a snap in 20 months at his age by the time the season starts. He has been on the decline and he can't be any better after the surgery. The FO made the decision that only half of the fans wanted.

I can buy that. Niners took similar stands with Dashon Goldson and Donte Whitner. Can't pay everyone particularly if you start overpaying.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The plan is to ask team leaders to take pay cuts to help the team get out of contracts they never should have offered to begin with. I understand the business side of it, and the value side of it, but its continuing a trend. For an extra 500K the Cardinals decided this team leader was expendable.

Harsh business. You call it taking a stand, Dockett (and I agree with him) saw it as something else. Just cut him and move on, don't low ball him because you feel obligated to try.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":d14s2mzg said:
Harsh business. You call it taking a stand, Dockett (and I agree with him) saw it as something else. Just cut him and move on, don't low ball him because you feel obligated to try.

Ehh, I kind of disagree with that. I see the value in making the offer you're willing to make and letting the player take it or not, rather than just withholding the offer entirely under the assumption that the player won't take it (even if the assumption is likely correct).

Players are "insulted" because they learn what dollar amount the team they've been playing for values them at in the present moment; there is a mismatch between their own view of their worth to the team and the team's view of their worth. They'd be more insulted if nothing was offered at all, which happens, and for which the message is clear: we have no interest in you remaining here at any price.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Uncle Si":onugw8c8 said:
The plan is to ask team leaders to take pay cuts to help the team get out of contracts they never should have offered to begin with. I understand the business side of it, and the value side of it, but its continuing a trend. For an extra 500K the Cardinals decided this team leader was expendable.

And this is why I want him to do well in SF. They essentially cut him, then kept reminding him to get lost.

The Cards have their eye on someone or someones in free agency. All this money they have freed up is for a reason.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":gg6zm40g said:
Uncle Si":gg6zm40g said:

Ehh, I kind of disagree with that. I see the value in making the offer you're willing to make and letting the player take it or not, rather than just withholding the offer entirely under the assumption that the player won't take it (even if the assumption is likely correct).

Players are "insulted" because they learn what dollar amount the team they've been playing for values them at in the present moment; there is a mismatch between their own view of their worth to the team and the team's view of their worth. They'd be more insulted if nothing was offered at all, which happens, and for which the message is clear: we have no interest in you remaining here at any price.

Look, on its own its a reasonable move. But the Cardinals are asking 3 key veteran players who have stuck by the team through mediocrity to take substantially less to stay on.

In this case, the Cardinals only needed to offer up 500K more to keep a team leader who had been with the squad his entire career. It's harsh business and I wonder if it will bite the Cardinals in some way.

Its one thing to apathetically snub an athletes perceived "insult" because he has yet to realize his true value. However, this was one of their best players for a long time.

For 500K more, and all the good will you can get with it, its pretty harsh. And telling.