Darnell Dockett released by Cards / and just signed by SF

ringless

Reaction score
I believe we only offered him 2.5 million according to Jurecki with incentives to make more.... The issue with the incentives was that he had to play 70% of the snaps, get 10 sacks, or get a pro bowl appearance. He was never going to get 10 sacks the way our defense is run, and I doubt he'd get 70% of the snaps in our 3-4....

I hate that he is not a Cardinal, but he has a lot of question marks and is an unknown. Nobody questions his heart or work ethic. He is 34 years old, and by the time he plays his next snap it would have been 20 months in-between which is a long time. I am really interested to see if he ends up being the great player he once was, or if he was sent over to help the destruction of the 49ers.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Regardless of the inevitable "he's not that good anyway" we will shortly see here, the fact is he is an updrade to everyone the 49ers have except Justin Smith. And of course if Smith retires, Docket just became the best defensive lineman on the team. Good signing.

Rob12

Reaction score
Good for the Niners.

8db58caf7053191e43559a0a1d66243a.jpg

Laloosh

Reaction score
Just one more player that's easy to dislike for the Niners. *shrug*

drdiags

Reaction score
I think it is a good signing for a couple of years. Who knows how he will recover but he probably has a lot left in the tank. Would hate to see someone like Mebane end up on a division rival but it happens. If I am a Cards fan I would rather he had went to the AFC or at least out of the division.

If Justin Smith isn't coming back, having Dockett's presence with the young DTs coming along is a good thing. He probably is a better version of the Kevin Williams signing IMO but I am basing this on thinking he still can be dominant for awhile.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Marvin49":3ec35vh6 said:
Hawkfan77":3ec35vh6 said:
I'm sorry, I guess none of us realized the point is to get to the pro-bowl and not the Super Bowl... :roll:

Yup. THAT's what I said.

SIgh.

If you are going to argue with me, at least do me the courtesy of arguing the point I'm making, not a ludicrous point that's easier to argue.
How is that not the point? Your roster is not very good so you rely on younger players to start, whether they are good enough or not...the Seahawks roster is much better which is why it's very difficult for a rookie to get meaningful playing time.

I doubt you even know what you're trying to "argue"

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Okay, so it's basically a one year deal at 4 million with 2 million of that guaranteed, and a second year team option at 3.5 million.

Even as a rotational DT on nickel downs I feel pretty okay about that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ringless":3rsmk66w said:
I believe we only offered him 2.5 million according to Jurecki with incentives to make more.... The issue with the incentives was that he had to play 70% of the snaps, get 10 sacks, or get a pro bowl appearance. He was never going to get 10 sacks the way our defense is run, and I doubt he'd get 70% of the snaps in our 3-4....

I hate that he is not a Cardinal, but he has a lot of question marks and is an unknown. Nobody questions his heart or work ethic. He is 34 years old, and by the time he plays his next snap it would have been 20 months in-between which is a long time. I am really interested to see if he ends up being the great player he once was, or if he was sent over to help the destruction of the 49ers.

To be honest, I kinda thought he was losing it before he got hurt. I like the signing, but don't love it.

Kinda fits the mold though. Baalke always looks to bring in a vet cheap for a year or 2. Moss, Boldin, Goodwin, etc.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3a41xszd said:
Marvin49":3a41xszd said:
Hawkfan77":3a41xszd said:
I'm sorry, I guess none of us realized the point is to get to the pro-bowl and not the Super Bowl... :roll:

Yup. THAT's what I said.

SIgh.

If you are going to argue with me, at least do me the courtesy of arguing the point I'm making, not a ludicrous point that's easier to argue.
How is that not the point? Your roster is not very good so you rely on younger players to start, whether they are good enough or not...the Seahawks roster is much better which is why it's very difficult for a rookie to get meaningful playing time.

The conversation had nothing to do with what team was better.

Both the 49ers and Seahawks had most of the starters on their team set over the past few years. There weren't glaring needs all over the roster that lends itself to rookies getting playing time. I mean hell, the 49ers have taken to drafting injured players they can stash away (or "redshirt") for this exact reason (Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial, Marcus Lattimore, Brandon Thomas, Keith Reaser, Trey Millard, Caleb Ramsey). Peeps have taken to call them the all ACL team.

THAT was the point. He was saying that the drafts got worse the further we got from McCloughans time here as if he left some magic chart for Baalke to follow.

While you might think "your roster is not very good" I think the rest of the NFL would disagree with you. It also kinda tells me all I need to know about your opinion. While their roster is aging, saying "your roster is not very good" especially over the past two years is just ludicrous.

Marvin49

Reaction score
drdiags":oi2gkeai said:
I think it is a good signing for a couple of years. Who knows how he will recover but he probably has a lot left in the tank. Would hate to see someone like Mebane end up on a division rival but it happens. If I am a Cards fan I would rather he had went to the AFC or at least out of the division.

If Justin Smith isn't coming back, having Dockett's presence with the young DTs coming along is a good thing. He probably is a better version of the Kevin Williams signing IMO but I am basing this on thinking he still can be dominant for awhile.

Nothing official, but feeling is by the beat writers that he's probably coming back for at least one more year.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":2jbjyqnv said:
To be honest, I kinda thought he was losing it before he got hurt. I like the signing, but don't love it.

Yeah, but TBH for the price it's pretty hard not to like.

If he makes it back you get Darnell Dockett for 3% of your salary cap expenditure, with no guaranteed money after the first year but him locked in at about 2.5% in the second year if you want him.

And if he doesn't make the squad, you basically just spent Kaepernick's two million dollar de-escalator on a roll of the dice for Darnell Dockett when you might be incredibly thin on the D-Line.

I'm not over the moon about it or anything, but there's nothing to really complain about it either, IMO.

Overall Baalke has obviously had his misses on the cheap aging vets as has everyone, but heck, in the last three years he's also gotten pro-bowl seasons out of these cheaper 30 year old plus vets too (Anquan Boldin, Goodwin, Bethea). The short term, low-to-mid money deals with the older guys is an excellent way to take advantage of brief cap holes without committing long-term money. It's absolutely the right way to navigate the cap as you pay out your younger players.

That Dockett was cut and won't contribute to the comp formula (on which the 9ers should clean up this year) only adds to my inability to be critical of it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":l9ye1uop said:
Marvin49":l9ye1uop said:

Yeah, but TBH for the price it's pretty hard not to like.

If he makes it back you get Darnell Dockett for 3% of your salary cap expenditure, with no guaranteed money after the first year but him locked in at about 2.5% in the second year if you want him.

And if he doesn't make the squad, you basically just spent Kaepernick's two million dollar de-escalator on a roll of the dice for Darnell Dockett when you might be incredibly thin on the D-Line.

I'm not over the moon about it or anything, but there's nothing to really complain about it either, IMO.

Overall Baalke has obviously had his misses on the cheap aging vets as has everyone, but heck, in the last three years he's also gotten pro-bowl seasons out of these cheaper 30 year old plus vets too (Anquan Boldin, Goodwin, Bethea). The short term, low-to-mid money deals with the older guys is an excellent way to take advantage of brief cap holes without committing long-term money. It's absolutely the right way to navigate the cap as you pay out your younger players.

That Dockett was cut and won't contribute to the comp formula (on which the 9ers should clean up this year) only adds to my inability to be critical of it.

Ya...that's why I said I like it but don't love it.

That's one thing a lot of peeps don't get with the "and the Niners get older" comments. Baalke ALWAYS does this. He always gets a guy for a year or two. They let that guy go and get another one next year.

He's not signing them to big money and banking on them...he just takes a stab at a vet pretty cheap and sees if he has anything left for a little bit. Sometimes it works (Goodwin, Moss, Boldin), sometimes it doesn't (Braylon Edwards, Nnamdi).

kearly

Reaction score
Players who are cut by a team almost always have a huge game when they face that team the next season. Dockett will face the Cardinals TWICE.

IMO this is a good move for the Seahawks. The Tomsula 49ers aren't winning the division next year, and they will likely be swept by Seattle. Dockett isn't going to change that. But this move might give the 49ers an edge in their matchups against the Cardinals. And odds are, we'll be rooting for the 49ers in their games against Arizona next year, just like we did in week 17.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3csbvijl said:
Marvin49":3csbvijl said:
Hawkfan77":3csbvijl said:

Yup. THAT's what I said.

SIgh.

Lol this guy. The roster wasn't the problem last season. Injuries and mutiny by players and coaches was. How good is Seattle without Richard Sherman, Chanceler, and Thomas, if the offensive line isn't blocking because they disagree with the play calling and two starting pass catchers aren't trying? Look, they had FIVE people calling offensive plays last season depending on circumstance. Combined with the injuries, front office drama, hold outs and player rebellion against the coaches, 8-8 is pretty solid.

Lmao if you think the issue was the roster. The problem for next year is that the same backstabbers control the team, but Tomsula is like by the players so maybe it will offset. But come on, dude, if you are ignorant of all the drama and injuries the 49ers had last year I don't know what to tell you. It was all over the sports channels all year.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
49ers players reporting for training camp. In fact I think that's Tomsula leading the way.

Mobility_scooter_zoo.jpg

pehawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":33hdho05 said:
49ers players reporting for training camp. In fact I think that's Tomsula leading the way.

Mobility_scooter_zoo.jpg

Marvin, I'm sorry you had to see this.

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":37stos3x said:
theENGLISHseahawk":37stos3x said:

Mobility_scooter_zoo.jpg

Marvin, I'm sorry you had to see this.

If you say so Pe.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I hope Dockett's knee is fine, I want this to be a disaster by the Cards.