Darnell Dockett released by Cards / and just signed by SF

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":4dsiyta3 said:
I hope Dockett's knee is fine, I want this to be a disaster by the Cards.

...the moment you know you've had a rough offseason...

Scottemojo rooting for a Niner player to do well because he wants to screw the Cards instead of the other way around.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I don't think it really does anything in either direction for SF. If this were 5 years ago it would be a great signing, but Dockett just isn't the same player he used to be. He is a good football player, but not a game changer at this point.

Largent80

Reaction score
There are pictures of him being trucked by Marshawn like 2 years ago.

This signing is like going to a classic rock concert. Yeah, you used to be good but......

Laloosh

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Kaepernick7/status/573621895016357891[/tweet]

Big homie? Is it Santa Clara or San Quentin?

bigtrain21

Reaction score
#7tormsComing? #HeDontGetTiredEither? Holy crap. What a nerd.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ker1yhn said:
I hope Dockett's knee is fine, I want this to be a disaster by the Cards.

Best case scenario, the 49ers aren't good enough to beat Seattle, but good enough to give the Cardinals problems. I liked this move for Seattle.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1pxbz1go said:
49ers players reporting for training camp. In fact I think that's Tomsula leading the way.

Mobility_scooter_zoo.jpg

Images 1

Seahawks staff getting ready for players to report

bigtrain21

Reaction score
49ers players getting out on work release and reporting for training camp.

218883_ChinoPrisonInmates081511.jpg

bigtrain21

Reaction score
lvginthepast loading up his teams latest Super Bowl victory.

vcr_1296501191.jpg

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Not to belabor a fairly obvious and quasi-trolling point, but seriously:

If Dockett had signed with the Hawks there are people in this thread who rather than turning their noses up would instead be saying that only a genius like Schneider could shore up the Hawks' d-line rotational depth while weakening a division rival, and only a team like the Hawks (who everyone wants to play for) could steal away a player of Dockett's caliber on such a low monetary value contract with no risk to the team.

It's not worth spending too much time on it because it's a pretty banal and trivial observation, but it is kinda funny watching how much (perceptions of) Dockett's star has faded from when he might have signed with the Hawks to when he signed with the 9ers.

(and yeah, obviously the exact same thing would happen on any other board in a similar situation -- including the zone -- and yeah, as before as I am now, I find little dislike about the signing, but am not excited about it either).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":2f3nlp17 said:
Darnell Docket to the Niners? That's like Steve Balboni to the Brewers

Are you and Steve related?

Dockett to the 9ers is good business. Relative risk-reward, but the money involved isn't a huge gamble. For that money I would have liked him on the Seahawks

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":ffb3cz39 said:
Not to belabor a fairly obvious and quasi-trolling point, but seriously:

If Dockett had signed with the Hawks there are people in this thread who rather than turning their noses up would instead be saying that only a genius like Schneider could shore up the Hawks' d-line rotational depth while weakening a division rival, and only a team like the Hawks (who everyone wants to play for) could steal away a player of Dockett's caliber on such a low monetary value contract with no risk to the team.

It's not worth spending too much time on it because it's a pretty banal and trivial observation, but it is kinda funny watching how much (perceptions of) Dockett's star has faded from when he might have signed with the Hawks to when he signed with the 9ers.

(and yeah, obviously the exact same thing would happen on any other board in a similar situation -- including the zone -- and yeah, as before as I am now, I find little dislike about the signing, but am not excited about it either).
Every forum has that homeristic shit, looking for it or commenting on it is like observing the weather.

Dockett is coming off a knee, so that is a question mark, everything else about him is good, especially if he is only going to see 600 snaps in a rotation. Keep in mind a lot of Hawk fans hate him for grinding Hasselbeck's neck and head into the ground on one of his sacks during Mora's single season. I was more pissed that none of our soft ass line did anything about it to protect our QB. That would cause a brawl with our current squad.

The biggest reason Seattle would have been wrong to go after him is he would be one more guy coming off serious injury on our D-line. Mebane, Scruggs, Hill, and the will he ever play Jesse Williams, I kind of doubt adding one more injury question mark to that group would be a good idea. I think Seattle interest was always tied to raising his price tag a bit, perhaps just so Arizona could not keep him.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Yeah, agreed throughout, really. (hence this disclaimer that it was bordering on a pointless observation).

That said I do think at the price point it's pretty low risk/high reward. I also think the Hawks would (or should) like to get back to the d-line rotational depth they had two years ago. TBH I think I would have liked this signing more for the Hawks than I do for the 9ers, but it's really hard to say with them because we still don't know what the story with Justin Smith is.

Before Dockett, the 9ers d-line was down to maybe Justin Smith, two young guys (Carradine and Dial), two guys coming off of season ending injuries (Dorsey and Williams), a journeymen (TJE), a UFA (Purcell), and a redshirt 7th rounder (Ramsey) .

Basically, I like it as rotational depth (which the price point suggests), and because it decreases the likelihood they take Arik Armstead at 15. Beyond that, though, whatever. I do hope for several reasons (both skill-set related for Dockett, and for what it means about Carradine and Dial) that they didn't take him to replace McDonald if Smith is coming back.

ringless

Reaction score
Lockett came on the Radio yesterday and wanted to explain a few things.....

He said that he was willing to play for Arizona for less, however they would only offer 2.5 million and he wanted a little more. Dockett said he gave the Cardinals “two or three” chances to keep him and said he was willing to take less than what the 49ers offered, however the Cardinals would not budge from the 2.5 mark.

“When we couldn’t come to an agreement with that little bit of change to the contract, I knew then it was my time to go,” Dockett said.

Dockett said the two sides came within $500,000 but never could close the gap. During a near 20-minute interview, the clearly frustrated Dockett acknowledged the turn of events and leaving the team was unexpected.
“I was very shocked because I’ve always been a team player, I’ve always been loyal,” Dockett said.

The Cardinals began preparing for the future on the defensive line last season, drafting both Ed Stinson and Kareem Martin. Stinson, a fifth-round pick, played well before getting hurt late in the season and even Dockett had said on a couple of occasions Stinson reminded Dockett of him in his younger days.

Dockett: "I was willing to restructure my contract ... I was willing to take less money than what SF was offering."

Well I think that explains a lot. Dockett doesn't want to be where he is, and I think part of it was done in spite. I think this says a lot about the Cardinals, and the fact that they wouldn't budge and offer him 3 instead of 2.5 is telling considering the cap space we have 14-20 million (Palmer signed a restructure that hasn't been executed. I guess the team wanted to move on from him.

Latest posts