Darrel Taylor is a waste

seabowl

Reaction score
He has done absolutely nothing this year and is completely invisible. He had 9 1/2 sacks last year, but many were in garbage time. Unless something happens soon, I hope we cut ties with him.

Last edited:

Polk738

Reaction score
I don't even remember seeing him on the field, his snap counts must be seriously reduced but he never was originally drafted for this scheme, if anything he's probably one of the remaining few from the old scheme.

Rat

Reaction score
We've drafted a lot of complete trash on defense in early rounds in recent years: LJ Collier, Lano Hill, Jordyn Brooks, Marquise Blair, Cody Barton, Rasheem Green, Nazair Jones, etc., but Taylor has to be the most disappointing. His 9.5 sacks last season are the ultimate case of stats not telling the story. In reality, he had the impact of like a two-sack guy, and he has been equally worthless this year. At this point, I have more faith in Dee Eskridge becoming a real contributor than Taylor. Just trade him for whatever we can get.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
We've drafted a lot of complete trash on defense in early rounds in recent years: LJ Collier, Lano Hill, Jordyn Brooks, Marquise Blair, Cody Barton, Rasheem Green, Nazair Jones, etc., but Taylor has to be the most disappointing. His 9.5 sacks last season are the ultimate case of stats not telling the story. In reality, he had the impact of like a two-sack guy, and he has been equally worthless this year. At this point, I have more faith in Dee Eskridge becoming a real contributor than Taylor. Just trade him for whatever we can get.
Calling Jordyn Brooks "complete trash" seems a little harsh, no? He's been playing great football

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't even remember seeing him on the field, his snap counts must be seriously reduced but he never was originally drafted for this scheme, if anything he's probably one of the remaining few from the old scheme.

It's definitely far less this year than last when he was playing with all the scrubs on the D-line.

I honestly thought we'd see Taylor killing it this year again, what with this being his make it or break it contract year. But he's most definitely taken a back seat in the rotation to Nwosu and Mafe.

So yeah, he's playing himself right off this roster.

renofox

Reaction score
I thought he was on IR or something. Didn't realize he's been playing this year, lol.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I honestly thought we'd see Taylor killing it this year again, what with this being his make it or break it contract year.
Taylor will be a Restricted Free Agent (RFA) in 2024 because his contract tolled his rookie season when he never saw the field.

We'll have an option to sign him for 2024 but do Pete and John want that?... we'll see.

warden

Reaction score
Criticizing one player (even though deserved) that we drafted is missing the point. All NFL teams draft more players that don’t work out than players that do work out. What we need to look at is the overall effect of all our picks. In the last couple of years we hit more often with our draft picks than other teams. Looks like we may be on the verge of getting the OLB/DE position worked out even with Taylor’s short comings. That is all that matters

Polk738

Reaction score
Nope. Trash. Bust.
I wouldn't consider Jordyn Brooks trash but he definitely isn't ready to call the defense like Bobby, he still needs more experience to get to that level. I don't think it's coincidence that he's playing remarkably better next to Bobby again.

knownone

Reaction score
Isn't Taylor coming off an injury? He only played a handful of snaps on Sunday.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Is it so much Taylor playing badly or Mafe playing much better? I think Taylor is what he is, a one dimensional pass rusher. He won't see the field over the guys that can pass rush and stop the run.