Darrell Bevell OTA Press Conference 6/2/15

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Crizilla":3ore5izj said:
SalishHawkFan":3ore5izj said:
summary for those who didn't see the presser:

Bevell: I know after the Super Bowl a lot of people rushed to judgement and some people wanted to Lynch me, but it's a new season coming up so let's get passed that.

did he really say that?
Son, you have the perfect avatar.

Fade

Reaction score
hawk45":34ylovuk said:
hawknation2015":34ylovuk said:
The best characteristic an OC can have, IMO, is not the ability to surprise an opponent, rather it is the ability to appreciate game flow and to make adjustments that fully exploit every advantage at our disposal. Bevell has too often failed at this, sacrificing true advantages for the novelty of surprise.

This is not about one criticism of one play . . . it is about a consistent and systematic failure in abandoning the running game at inopportune moments and simply failing to put the dagger into the heart of our opponents in the red zone, time and time again.

My excitement about the addition of Graham, for example, is tempered by my concern that Bevell has no idea how to fully exploit the advantages this player brings to the field.

This is a very excellent distillation of the Bevell criticism on this board and I too am concerned Bevell will somehow yank our offensive identity askew when given what should be an advantage in Graham.

To augment the point Fade has been making, what red-zone success we do have that doesn't involve a handoff to Lynch usually involves a DOA pass play with mind-numbing route design and selection that has Russell scrambling for his life and producing a miracle that has zero to do with Bevell and in fact has to overcome his "genius". I still remember Pehawk pointing out a play during the regular season that had like all 3 receivers running routes within 5 yards of each other in the right side of the end zone giving us zero chance to succeed with the actual play call.

A similar thing happened in the NFCC on the 2 pt conversion miracle play to Luke Willson. 3 bodies into routes on the right side of the field just mashed up and given no chance by the defense. Luke Willson, interviewed after the game, says he wasn't even supposed to leak out the backside but he saw Wilson in trouble and said why not. Red zone, and both players involved in the successful conversion are going off-script because Bevell can't design NFL level routes.

To the red zone woes I would add Bevell often enters a game with a crappy game plan. The Superbowl was a classic example. The Patriots came in with a good offensive game plan and had immediate success (with the advantage of some Seahawk injuries). Bevell had nothing against the Patriot D. I was shocked and pleased that he found and actually stuck with the Matthews connection later, and that spoke well of him, but what was he doing in the 2 weeks leading up to the Superbowl that it took him a half to figure something out? This is a common offensive theme in our games.

But the red zone thing is really the meat of the argument. Bevell has been able to behave for stretches, usually after he makes an obvious and costly gaffe that results in Lynch flipping him off and Pete calming down the pitchforks after the game by taking blame and saying that "we" as in the team need to do better sometimes staying with our strengths. Cable shoves Bevell up against a locker and for a time he is in check. But he always drifts back to cutesy, and the worst fear of Pehawk and those pointing this out was that he would do it in the biggest moment and cost us everything. Oops.

Nail on the head. Particularly the red zone thing. Seattle had a top 10 offense in football last year, until it got in the red zone ranking 25th (I sited this earlier.) With RW & Beastmode I would think that could get you into middle of the pack regardless of your receiving core.

Now is it personnel, or is it play calling? With the addition of Jimmy Graham we will find out. The excuses have run out.

Fade

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":19o4gr2y said:
We all want Marshawn to get the ball more. But let's face facts, he's going to get about 20 touches per game on average because we want him to live. What we need is an actual, reliable backup for him because right now Russ is our next best rushing option by far. Then again we have the league's best rushing attack so I don't know that we need to commit all that much to improving it. But we could always work towards executing it more efficiently, especially in certain situations, sure.

Marshawn Lynch's carries have been trending down the last 3 years. It will be interesting to see if it continues.

2012 - 315
2013 - 301
2014 - 280

Fade

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":b9na9dxu said:
summary for those who didn't see the presser:

Bevell: I know after the Super Bowl a lot of people rushed to judgement and some people wanted to Lynch me, but it's a new season coming up so let's get passed that.

Yes, and the fans and football people that have been looking deeper into it, past that 1 play call, know it was a worrisome trend. Thus Seattle makes the move for Jimmy Graham.

Fade

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2jjkhpv9 said:
People see something not work a few times and get all pissed off about it. Even when that something does work, it's still the times it didn't that stick out in their mind. Nothing new.

*edit* Disregard if you were referring to empty sets.

If you ignore the data your absolutely correct.

http://chawktalk.com/2014/12/04/seahawks-need-to-flip-red-zone-woes/

26th up to this point in the article. The Hawks would improve to 25th by the end of the season.

Fade

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":28icnqlp said:
storm74":28icnqlp said:
A large majority of empty backfield calls on third and short since Bevell has been our OC should tell you all you need to know.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FO_ASchatz/status/606878866821509121[/tweet]

Based on conversion rate %
5e0dd3e727fc12fd2ecf9751fe6ff4fc

On a grander scale, league wide teams are increasing their use of the pass in short yardage, so it's not just Bevell.

"Including scrambles as passes, teams run the ball 70.9 percent of the time on third-and-1 since 2009. When it's third-and-2, teams run the ball only 31.0 percent of the time."

In fact, based on the chart above, they are ranked 30th in pass ratio in these situations at 31%.

I know this doesn't directly answer the 3rd and short question of why Bevell and Pete choose to go empty set and throw instead of give the ball to Marshawn on 3rd and short or just use him as a decoy more, even though "Seattle led the league with a 26-of-30 conversion rate (86.7 percent) on short-yardage runs", but I think it does show that despite our concerns, Seattle is still highly successful in what they are doing in these short yardage situations.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-a ... rdage-pass

These probably aren't the best stats to settle any arguments about the offense and the empty-set, but I remember seeing the tweet and reading the Football Outsiders article and thought they might be relevant.

Great Post and it teaches a valuable lesson. Your eyes can lie to you. Unlike Seattle's red zone woes, which there are a multitude of examples with the data to back it up.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Fade":6huqufj2 said:
Zebulon Dak":6huqufj2 said:
We all want Marshawn to get the ball more. But let's face facts, he's going to get about 20 touches per game on average because we want him to live. What we need is an actual, reliable backup for him because right now Russ is our next best rushing option by far. Then again we have the league's best rushing attack so I don't know that we need to commit all that much to improving it. But we could always work towards executing it more efficiently, especially in certain situations, sure.

Marshawn Lynch's carries have been trending down the last 3 years. It will be interesting to see if it continues.

2012 - 315
2013 - 301
2014 - 280

Right. And his receptions have gone up leaving him right around 20 touches per game, give or take. I don't expect that to change much, assuming he stays healthy.

Fade

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":27z64kxv said:
Fade":27z64kxv said:
Zebulon Dak":27z64kxv said:

2012 - 315
2013 - 301
2014 - 280

Right. And his receptions have gone up leaving him right around 20 touches per game, give or take. I don't expect that to change much, assuming he stays healthy.

What I'm wondering. Is it better to try to preserve him a little bit for another post season run, and future years, or just ride him until the wheels fall off? I can see both sides, I'm just not sure which is best.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Fade":s6gfw8rs said:
Zebulon Dak":s6gfw8rs said:
Fade":s6gfw8rs said:
Zebulon Dak":s6gfw8rs said:

2012 - 315
2013 - 301
2014 - 280

What I'm wondering, it is better to try to preserve him a little bit for another post season run, and future years. Or just ride him until the wheels fall off. I can see both sides, I'm just not sure which is best.

I think it's pretty obvious they've opted for the former the past couple seasons. I'd tend to agree with the strategy. Again, I think a more reliable change of pace/backup would probably do wonders.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I think we are trying the Lynch as a backup role pretty much if you look at the latter part of last season. We tried to use other backs as a front for the first half and rest up the beast for the second half. I like the tendency but still think we need a true replacement....Not lynch...but replacement. It will come....we need to understand and be patient.

Go HAWKS Dammit.

Fade

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2csxw3dw said:
I think it's pretty obvious they've opted for the former the past couple seasons. I'd tend to agree with the strategy. Again, I think a more reliable change of pace/backup would probably do wonders.

Turbin has been okay in this role the last 2 seasons. Maybe in a contract year he will blow up. I can only hope.

Fade

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2dlx2sed said:
I think we are trying the Lynch as a backup role pretty much if you look at the latter part of last season. We tried to use other backs as a front for the first half and rest up the beast for the second half. I like the tendency but still think we need a true replacement....Not lynch...but replacement. It will come....we need to understand and be patient.

Go HAWKS Dammit.

Good point. I liked what I saw to. I wonder if Lynch really had an upset stomach in those games, or if they were covering up team discipline. Or didn't want people on the outside to know they were resting him.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Fade":3a647guu said:
Seahawkfan80":3a647guu said:

Go HAWKS Dammit.

Good point. I liked what I saw too. I wonder if Lynch really had an upset stomach in those games, or if they were covering up team discipline. Or didn't want people on the outside to know they were resting him.

In SD.....yes we were all kinda sick....too HOT....sorry Ro. The rest of the season....I dont know.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawk45":kso38twd said:
To augment the point Fade has been making, what red-zone success we do have that doesn't involve a handoff to Lynch usually involves a DOA pass play with mind-numbing route design and selection that has Russell scrambling for his life and producing a miracle that has zero to do with Bevell and in fact has to overcome his "genius". I still remember Pehawk pointing out a play during the regular season that had like all 3 receivers running routes within 5 yards of each other in the right side of the end zone giving us zero chance to succeed with the actual play call.

/hate off

I remember that play call that Pehawk pointed out. Mostly because Pehawk was wrong and I made a post to try and correct the idea that Bevell would call something so stupid (Not trying to trash you Pe if you're reading this! Love your stuff dude). Not that Bevell doesn't call stupid plays, but I like to at least be factual with it.

It's old news, but since you brought it up..

Here was Pehawk's orginal post:
"On Wilson's TD to Baldwin, Bevell called 3 WR's to the corner...short side...basically causing a hail mary pile...? Huh, what?"

I reviewed that game a few days later and I showed how the play call was nothing like Pehawk suggested. That post is here if you're interested (bottom of the page).

ok /hate back on :D :sarcasm_on:

AVL

Reaction score
Does anyone in this five pages mention the press conference? I truly got too burned out with the bevelwhiners.

Bevelwhinners, please advance your cause and go after the head coach. He is your true enemy, quit kidding yourself.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
AVL":3k0x2xfg said:
Does anyone in this five pages mention the press conference? I truly got too burned out with the bevelwhiners.

Bevelwhinners, please advance your cause and go after the head coach. He is your true enemy, quit kidding yourself.
:34853_doh: :177692:

It must suck when not everyone agrees with your opinion.

Fade

Reaction score
AVL":2u2e22nx said:

I might need to do a 3rd update. LOL

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3cnfmsg6 said:
People see something not work a few times and get all pissed off about it. Even when that something does work, it's still the times it didn't that stick out in their mind. Nothing new.
Like Bates calling fade patterns on 4th down and eventually getting fired?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3igkilus said:
Crizilla":3igkilus said:
Bevell is an average OC in my opinion. Makes great calls and terrible ones.Throwing into traffic at the goal line without using any end zone space is unforgivable with the super bowl on the line. Carroll got too much blame and Bevell didn't get enough. Vikings with Favre should have made the Super Bowl if it wasn't for a bad play call from Bevell as well. There was another bad play call he made too I can't remember what it was tho
As someone who's watched the Vikings his whole life, I can tell you that this statement in regards to the 2009 NFC championship game has no merit. The coaching staff kept the team in the game in spite of 6 turnovers. And it's convenient you point out last year's Super Bowl, but totally discount the offensive pounding we put on Denver in 48. That was Bevell too.
Even though last year's decisive play call was a touchdown waiting to happen with the proper execution, I'd guess Bevell wouldn't dial up the same play with the same personnel. Now with Jimmy ....
Point is, it's so convenient for fans who don't watch that close to simply shake their finger at the offensive coordinator as a convenient scapegoat. And I understand that. But Bevell is as valuable as any member of the coaching staff, Pete puts his trust in him, and as I said in an earlier post, it's very foolish to even suggest messing with a coaching staff that has put the Hawks in the Super Bowl the last two seasons.
It's just easier to whittle it all down to the very last play of the big game, and focus on the one play that went awry, and then go back upstream to find the guy to take the blame for a poorly executed play.
But you are correct in saying that he did indeed help coach the Seahawks to back to back Super Bowl appearances.
It should be obvious to everyone, that the players themselves don't always execute all the designed plays at a 100 success rate.
I was one of the first to blame the last play on the guy, but that was the easy and quick way around the truth of how some plays get broken.
Truth is, the Seahawks could and have indeed done worse than having Bevell on the Coaching Staff.
The guy will probably help get us to another Super Bowl, and then make another play call that pisses someone off....again.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":14uhyo1e said:
Siouxhawk":14uhyo1e said:
In any event, just glad Pete, who knows a little more than you geniuses, realizes that Bevell is an important part of his coaching staff and trusts him with the offense. That's all that really matters.
:34853_doh:
He is SO important that when he interviews for HC jobs he never gets them, UNLIKE his last 2 cohorts on the other side of the ball who have both landed HC gigs.

I guess every team that interviewed DB for a HC gig and didn't hire him are flaming morons in your eyes? You think maybe they know more than you possibly?
Yeah, that Pete Carroll is such a dumbass for not only having Darrell Bevell on the Coaching Staff , but KEEPING him on it.
Wait!, you don't suppose that Pete might possibly know something that you don't?