Darrell Bevell OTA Press Conference 6/2/15

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Fade":2ibt2p62 said:
Marshawn Lynch flippin' Bevell the bird is all you need to know about Bevell's playcalling.
Yeah, and Bevell threw the big game to get his revenge on Lynch................ :roll: mmmmK

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1o3jwq7l said:
Siouxhawk":1o3jwq7l said:
.........And it's convenient you point out last year's Super Bowl, but totally discount the offensive pounding we put on Denver in 48. That was Bevell too..........
Hey Darrell, you had little to do with the 48 the Hawks put up on Denver. A huge chunk of that was courtesy of one of the greatest defenses of all-time either directly or through setting up the O on short fields by creating turnovers.
So....you are dismissing what Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch, Golden Tate, Kearse, Baldwin and the rest of the Offense put up on the scoreboard?
Like they didn't have anything to do with the score differential?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3ifoa4gf said:
Sports Hernia":3ifoa4gf said:
Siouxhawk":3ifoa4gf said:
In any event, just glad Pete, who knows a little more than you geniuses, realizes that Bevell is an important part of his coaching staff and trusts him with the offense. That's all that really matters.
:34853_doh:
He is SO important that when he interviews for HC jobs he never gets them, UNLIKE his last 2 cohorts on the other side of the ball who have both landed HC gigs.

I guess every team that interviewed DB for a HC gig and didn't hire him are flaming morons in your eyes? You think maybe they know more than you possibly?
Yeah, that Pete Carroll is such a dumbass for not only having Darrell Bevell on the Coaching Staff , but KEEPING him on it.
Wait!, you don't suppose that Pete might possibly know something that you don't?
You know it. Not to mention that Bevell and Carl Smith have had the biggest influence in the development and maturation process of Russell as a pro. Pete's time-tested offensive plan has thrived the last two seasons under the direction of Bev and Cable and I expect nothing less in the upcoming seasons.

Fade

Reaction score
scutterhawk":23fcuc70 said:
Sports Hernia":23fcuc70 said:
Siouxhawk":23fcuc70 said:
In any event, just glad Pete, who knows a little more than you geniuses, realizes that Bevell is an important part of his coaching staff and trusts him with the offense. That's all that really matters.
:34853_doh:
He is SO important that when he interviews for HC jobs he never gets them, UNLIKE his last 2 cohorts on the other side of the ball who have both landed HC gigs.

I guess every team that interviewed DB for a HC gig and didn't hire him are flaming morons in your eyes? You think maybe they know more than you possibly?
Yeah, that Pete Carroll is such a dumbass for not only having Darrell Bevell on the Coaching Staff , but KEEPING him on it.
Wait!, you don't suppose that Pete might possibly know something that you don't?

Pete Carroll has a well documented history of keeping avg to bad coordinators on his staffs. There are exceptions, Norm Chow, and Dan Quinn, for example. I can't tell you why he does, but he does. Nick Holt, Lane Kiffin, Gus Bradley (See what he has done without Pete Carroll both pre & post.) Jeremy Bates, etc. etc.

A typical Pete Carroll coordinator is generally well thought of around football. Then they go out on their own, and flop, sometimes their avg sometimes (I think Quinn will be an exception he will be good at the very least). but that is the history. What do you see differently in Darrell Bevell that makes him any different?

I think Bevell has strengths in substitution patterns, mixing formations, using plays to set up other plays, having great communication with his players, to name a few.

I can live with all of his flaws except one --> red zone. Seattle had a top 10 Offense last year until it got into the red zone ranking 25th. Will Jimmy Graham be enough to fix it? We will find out.

Fade

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1hmgq40e said:
hawksfansinceday1":1hmgq40e said:
Siouxhawk":1hmgq40e said:
.........And it's convenient you point out last year's Super Bowl, but totally discount the offensive pounding we put on Denver in 48. That was Bevell too..........
Hey Darrell, you had little to do with the 48 the Hawks put up on Denver. A huge chunk of that was courtesy of one of the greatest defenses of all-time either directly or through setting up the O on short fields by creating turnovers.
So....you are dismissing what Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch, Golden Tate, Kearse, Baldwin and the rest of the Offense put up on the scoreboard?
Like they didn't have anything to do with the score differential?

They played great, but what made it the thrashing that it was. Was the D destroying the supposed greatest offense of all time.

*EDIT* To take it a step further Seattle's Offense could of scored 0 points, and they still would of won the game.

Fade

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":4fyvd3jt said:
Not to mention that Bevell and Carl Smith have had the biggest influence in the development and maturation process of Russell as a pro. Pete's time-tested offensive plan has thrived the last two seasons under the direction of Bev and Cable and I expect nothing less in the upcoming seasons.

This comes off as homer gibberish.

Fade

Reaction score
scutterhawk":306tgp4r said:
Fade":306tgp4r said:
Marshawn Lynch flippin' Bevell the bird is all you need to know about Bevell's playcalling.
Yeah, and Bevell threw the big game to get his revenge on Lynch................ :roll: mmmmK

Nope. But he proved his ineptitude once again in the red zone.

Fade

Reaction score
scutterhawk":joqtn770 said:
It's just easier to whittle it all down to the very last play of the big game, and focus on the one play that went awry, and then go back upstream to find the guy to take the blame for a poorly executed play.
But you are correct in saying that he did indeed help coach the Seahawks to back to back Super Bowl appearances.
It should be obvious to everyone, that the players themselves don't always execute all the designed plays at a 100 success rate.
I was one of the first to blame the last play on the guy, but that was the easy and quick way around the truth of how some plays get broken.
Truth is, the Seahawks could and have indeed done worse than having Bevell on the Coaching Staff.
The guy will probably help get us to another Super Bowl, and then make another play call that pisses someone off....again.

Maybe you should read up on the Seahawks ineptitude in the red zone last season, it goes beyond 1 play. It has been well covered and dissected in this thread.

Here is just one of many articles it you are too lazy to look.
http://chawktalk.com/2014/12/04/seahawks-need-to-flip-red-zone-woes/

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Fade":kua613b9 said:
Siouxhawk":kua613b9 said:
Not to mention that Bevell and Carl Smith have had the biggest influence in the development and maturation process of Russell as a pro. Pete's time-tested offensive plan has thrived the last two seasons under the direction of Bev and Cable and I expect nothing less in the upcoming seasons.

This comes off as homer gibberish.

And you write nothing but negative, overly-obsessive garbage.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I am by no means a Bevell fan.

I also think blaming red zone woes on him is off base. We had two scary red zone threats last year, and neither of them was a pass catcher. I may hate the cute play calling that happens 4 or 5 times a game, but calling red zone play calls can't be any fun with teams geared up to stop Lynch and not much respect for our WR group.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Fade":1e16dr5w said:
scutterhawk":1e16dr5w said:
It's just easier to whittle it all down to the very last play of the big game, and focus on the one play that went awry, and then go back upstream to find the guy to take the blame for a poorly executed play.
But you are correct in saying that he did indeed help coach the Seahawks to back to back Super Bowl appearances.
It should be obvious to everyone, that the players themselves don't always execute all the designed plays at a 100 success rate.
I was one of the first to blame the last play on the guy, but that was the easy and quick way around the truth of how some plays get broken.
Truth is, the Seahawks could and have indeed done worse than having Bevell on the Coaching Staff.
The guy will probably help get us to another Super Bowl, and then make another play call that pisses someone off....again.

Maybe You should read up on the Seahawks ineptitude in the red zone last season, it goes beyond 1 play. It has been well covered and dissected in this thread.

As has been mentioned, Pete doesn't really care if the fantasy football zealots are satisfied. My tip to you is don't draft as many Seahawks next year in your league.

Fade

Reaction score
Scottemojo":intqqq5k said:
I am by no means a Bevell fan.

I also think blaming red zone woes on him is off base. We had two scary red zone threats last year, and neither of them was a pass catcher. I may hate the cute play calling that happens 4 or 5 times a game, but calling red zone play calls can't be any fun with teams geared up to stop Lynch and not much respect for our WR group.

I would agree if Russell Wilson was a statue back there, but when you have the top dual threat QB, and Lynch, that cat and mouse game, + supplemented with receivers, should get you to atleast the middle of the pack. not 25th.

Now with
Jimmy Graham (Top TD Receiver of the last 4 years.)
Marshawn Lynch (Top TD Rusher of the last 4 years.)
Russell Wilson's - Duel Threat ability

The Personnel excuse is over. We will find out this year.

PackerNation

Reaction score
Fade":5y4n7q6c said:
Maybe you should read up on the Seahawks ineptitude in the red zone last season, it goes beyond 1 play. It has been well covered and dissected in this thread.

Maybe you should actually read the article because it doesn't just point to the coaches, but player execution is a huge part of it. Here is an excerpt from that very article:

As the coaches have said, no one thing has prevented the Hawks from scoring more TDs. They have missed blocks, thrown poor passes or not thrown when they should, made bad play calls, committed penalties and gotten some bad calls by refs.

This article states the exact opposite of what you are trying to sell to people here that Bevell is a bad OC. This is not all Bevell's fault but a lot of bad execution on the plays they do call. No coordinator calls a perfect game.

Another excerpt:

In San Francisco, the Hawks once again went 1 for 5. The first miss came after Tony Moeaki was called down at the 49ers’ 1-yard line after a 63-yard pass play in the second quarter. Lynch was stuffed for no gain, Wilson was tackled for loss, and Wilson’s pass to Baldwin was tipped incomplete.

Lynch was stuffed from the 1 yard line. So much for Bevell not trying to run the ball. :roll:

Then we have bad blocking (Wilson tackled for a loss) and a bad pass as it was tipped away and fell incomplete.

This is mostly execution, not just bad play calling. You got any more articles proving you wrong since we are all too "lazy" to go look them up. :D

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Why is it the stats I just checked indicated that the Hawks were 20th in the league in red zone scoring? Far cry from last place.

Also interesting of note is that Seattle's offense, which scores on average 25, 26 points the last two years, also was in second-place last season in the all-important giveaway-takeaway ratio at +8.5 points per game. Patriots were first. If you watched the Town Hall meeting, that's basically the prevailing numbers measurement that Pete cares about.

Fade

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1j2y2jqw said:
Fade":1j2y2jqw said:
scutterhawk":1j2y2jqw said:

Maybe You should read up on the Seahawks ineptitude in the red zone last season, it goes beyond 1 play. It has been well covered and dissected in this thread.

As has been mentioned, Pete doesn't really care if the fantasy football zealots are satisfied. My tip to you is don't draft as many Seahawks next year in your league.

Bro, I've already proved you wrong on this, but I will bury you again if that is what you want.

Here is Russell Wilson - on his responsibilities as a Quarterback.
“I think we have to be lights out in the red zone,” Wilson said. “When it comes down to championship football, we have to be lights out in the red zone, be lights out on third down. That’s pretty simple. That’s pretty much it.”

Seattle's passing game is built on efficiency, not volume. So Wilson has to be lights out in the red zone & 3rd down because he isn't getting 40 throws a game.

I will post the Pete Carroll interview once again since you ignored it.

The PC Interview: Pete was asked POINT 1 (as in first, uno) What does Jimmy Graham Bring.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/0...y-graham-seahawks-coach-pete-carroll-710-espn

Pete Carroll radio interview

Here's an excerpt
1. What Graham Will Bring

Carroll called out Graham's red-zone and third-down production as key areas he expects the 6-foot-7, 265-pound tight end to contribute. He said Graham's work in the red zone has been "consistent" and "ridiculous," sharing an impressive statistic Graham has tallied over the last three years, when 35 of his 50 red-zone catches have gone for touchdowns.

"That's legit," said Carroll. "You go to him because he has such a great presence. That factor alone will add to it."

A little further down the page.
Carroll said the Seahawks plan to involve Graham in the normal course of the throwing game. The one thing that will change is they now have "a real positive target" in the red zone.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Well of course Graham is going to be a major target in the red zone. That's why we traded for him. You are not breaking any news here.

Fade

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2wrwg7md said:
Why is it the stats I just checked indicated that the Hawks were 20th in the league in red zone scoring? Far cry from last place.

Also interesting of note is that Seattle's offense, which scores on average 25, 26 points the last two years, also was in second-place last season in the all-important giveaway-takeaway ratio at +8.5 points per game. Patriots were first. If you watched the Town Hall meeting, that's basically the prevailing numbers measurement that Pete cares about.

If the Offense was fine I don't think they blow $27 mill on a TE. When Seattle has a Championship D to maintain, and Franchise QB to pay. Nope you make a move like that to fix something. (redzone ranking bottom 1/3 in the league.)

What does Jimmy Graham Bring?

- The PC Interview: Pete was asked POINT 1 (as in first, uno) What does Jimmy Graham Bring.

I will post it for you since you obviously ignored it.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/0...y-graham-seahawks-coach-pete-carroll-710-espn

Here's an excerpt

Carroll called out Graham's red-zone and third-down production as key areas he expects the 6-foot-7, 265-pound tight end to contribute. He said Graham's work in the red zone has been "consistent" and "ridiculous," sharing an impressive statistic Graham has tallied over the last three years, when 35 of his 50 red-zone catches have gone for touchdowns.

"That's legit," said Carroll. "You go to him because he has such a great presence. That factor alone will add to it."

Carroll said the Seahawks plan to involve Graham in the normal course of the throwing game. The one thing that will change is they now have "a real positive target" in the red zone.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Fade":2lv4zrit said:
Siouxhawk":2lv4zrit said:

If the Offense was fine I don't think they blow $27 mill on a TE. When Seattle has a Championship D to maintain, and Franchise QB to pay. Nope you make a move like that to fix something. (redzone ranking bottom 1/3 in the league.)

- The PC Interview: Pete was asked POINT 1 (as in first, uno) What does Jimmy Graham Bring.

Here's an excerpt

Schneider and Pete try to upgrade the roster every chance they get. Why are you trying to take this acquisition of a Pro Bowl-caliber tight end as an admittance to failure last year? Players come and go every offseason and you just hope that when that first whistle blows, your roster is better than the year before. The Hawks have been very impressive in this department with Schneider in the GM chair.

Fade

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":350jcswf said:
Well of course Graham is going to be a major target in the red zone. That's why we traded for him. You are not breaking any news here.

but Why trade for him when according to you the offense is fine? You are trying to keep a Championship D together, and pay a Franchise QB. Unless.....there were issues?

Fade

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3e7hx52e said:
Fade":3e7hx52e said:
Siouxhawk":3e7hx52e said:

Here's an excerpt

Schneider and Pete try to upgrade the roster every chance they get. Why are you trying to take this acquisition of a Pro Bowl-caliber tight end as an admittance to failure last year? Players come and go every offseason and you just hope that when that first whistle blows, your roster is better than the year before. The Hawks have been very impressive in this department with Schneider in the GM chair.

So they didn't acquire Tyler Lockett to improve the return game?
and they didn't accuire Jimmy Graham to improve the red zone?

good to know.