David Hsu: Seahawks might trade up for DGB

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I still have a feeling we end up with Devin Smith for some strange reason.

titan3131

Reaction score
austinslater25":3gcoacwq said:
I still have a feeling we end up with Devin Smith for some strange reason.

I get a badjuju feeling from him, he looks like colin kapenick...

Devin Smith OSU WR Close Up

colin-kaepernick.jpg

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Lol I didn't know that. I might remove him from my wish list. Dorsett come on down!

naholmes

Reaction score
Largent80":16s85rgs said:
I see no reason to spend draft capitol on this guy unless he is close to where we pick in the 2nd and another team is zeroing in on him.
Agree 100%. I could see trading a 4th rounder to move up 10 spots or so but moving higher than that would be too costly. The draft is deep at WR so just let it unfold and a good WR should be available late into round 2.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
naholmes":waqgqhrc said:
Largent80":waqgqhrc said:
I see no reason to spend draft capitol on this guy unless he is close to where we pick in the 2nd and another team is zeroing in on him.
Agree 100%. I could see trading a 4th rounder to move up 10 spots or so but moving higher than that would be too costly. The draft is deep at WR so just let it unfold and a good WR should be available late into round 2.

I tend to agree with this. I think Seattle will move up if it's within realistic reach. Maybe move up as many as 12-15 spots. There are teams in that range that like to move picks.

I don't think it's necessarily a smoke screen. Fans on the outside felt like Mays was a natural connection with Pete. Thinking he'd 'Chip Kelly' his roster with USC grads. But that wasn't ever really something he did to a major degree. At least early. I don't get the impression Seattle was internally ever really high on Mays to begin with. Seems it was driven by fan expectation not knowing how Pete would build a roster.

titan3131

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2nexesrf said:
naholmes":2nexesrf said:
Largent80":2nexesrf said:

I tend to agree with this. I think Seattle will move up if it's within realistic reach. Maybe move up as many as 12-15 spots. There are teams in that range that like to move picks.

I don't think it's necessarily a smoke screen. Fans on the outside felt like Mays was a natural connection with Pete. Thinking he'd 'Chip Kelly' his roster with USC grads. But that wasn't ever really something he did to a major degree. At least early. I don't get the impression Seattle was internally ever really high on Mays to begin with. Seems it was driven by fan expectation not knowing how Pete would build a roster.

AGREED, I see a 4.31, 2.31 traded to to get perriman if we see him drop past 2.10

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
There are a number of talented receivers in this draft. I just hope the Hawks don't give up too much to land one. But, I guess they go into it targeting their favorite guy. Last year they were able to trade back and still get what they maintained was their guy all along.

I was starting to get on the Agholor bandwagon. But, I think he will be gone and I don't see them trading up to draft their guy because of the depth at the position in this draft. I would love to see Phillip Dorsett at the end of the 2nd round. If not, maybe look to the 3rd round (or later) where Dezmin Lewis might be an interesting choice. Kenny Bell is the kind of gritty player I could see drafted by the Hawks. 5th round?

The end of the 2nd round is going to be interesting to see if a player high on their board drops and they just take the BPA. It could also be a player high on another team board that they could trade back a bit, then even package some picks to move back up. Or, just swing a package deal moving out of the 2nd. They have 11 picks already, but where is the talent drop off? Mid-5th round perhaps this year. They could try to package their late 5th rounder and just swing for the fences with a boom or bust guy with the 5th round comp pick. Not too excited beyond the 5th round.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'd take Perriman over DGB every day until Sunday and then do it all over again.

In Perriman I see Dez Bryant's outstanding body control, strength, high pointing, and explosiveness... and YAC.

Imo, Perriman goes before DGB.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3jj8a928 said:
I'd take Perriman over DGB every day until Sunday and then do it all over again.

In Perriman I see Dez Bryant's outstanding body control, strength, high pointing, and explosiveness... and YAC.

Imo, Perriman goes before DGB.

I think Perriman goes R1 now. DGB would be a Top 5 pick if he didn't have the off-field issues.

Both would be outstanding additions

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1zycw4w6 said:
There are a number of talented receivers in this draft. I just hope the Hawks don't give up too much to land one. But, I guess they go into it targeting their favorite guy. Last year they were able to trade back and still get what they maintained was their guy all along.

I'm thinking this is incredibly likely. Recall last year, in a crop with a lot of very good WRs with size (Matthews, Bryant, Robinson), Seattle opted to pass on all of them. Nor did it seem they were too interested in moving up a couple spots to pick up Benjamin.

If you kind of read between the lines of Carroll's post draft comments, he mentioned that they were looking for a big WR, but didn't have that size, speed and talent fit that they were looking for.

If Perriman or DGB do possess that unique fit -- I would expect we would be aggressive in acquiring that if it came within earshot of us. I can't tell which of these guys would fit that billing to our tastes. But if it's either of them, I'd expect us to move up to secure him and probably overpay a bit in order to get that done.

Seattle has generally been an easy trade partner with regards to other teams. Either giving up more than competitors for other players -- or getting less in return when trading back than other teams that drive harder bargains. It's not necessarily a bad thing -- because Seattle seems to get a lot of the guys they like. But the recent experiences with missing out of OL talent because they were overdrafted ahead of us may play a part in this. OL talent is typically more fungible with later round options than a big WR talent. We definitely seem to be very choosy in regards to that specific talent in the draft. So it would make sense that Seattle would be willing to overpay in terms of draft pick capital in order to get the one guy they covet.

original poster

Reaction score
The more I think about it I'd take Perriman over DGB every time. Not to say I'd be disappointed with DGB, but I'd definitely be nervous!

NYCoug

Reaction score
I'm going with smokescreen on this one.

But where there's smoke, there's fire. And the more I read about the OTHER 6'5"+ (6'6" in his case), 237 pounder in this draft, the more I think that he's got to be someone the Seahawks think highly of. Darren Waller seems to check a lot of the boxes when it comes to what Pete and John look for in a player.

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lio...gia-techs-darren-waller-becomes-a-wr-prospect

I know he's been talked about here a lot, and great job yet again by everyone in keeping this one of the best forum's on .Net. All of your due diligence and hard work is appreciated. You might all be wrong, but at least I know more about the prospects heading into the draft. I kid, I kid.

Anyways, Waller used to play safety and we know how they love guys who have played multiple positions throughout their lives, he's got interesting lineage in a sense, as he's coming from a school that's just churned out 2 of the best WR's in the league (1 who's probably the best actually), he's got the height, he's got the wingspan (a ridiculous 80.5"), he's got the Sparq, he's played in a run-first offense his whole career... the list goes on and on it seems.

We talk about how it's always going to be tough to convince a free agent WR to come to Seattle to catch 40 passes per season, block, and not be a focal point of the offense. Waller's already used to that, so he might fit in with the team nicely and hit his stride from the get-go.

I think one of the things that isn't talked about enough when mentioning all of the new found success for young WR's in the NFL, especially after this past season's smashing success of a crop, is that the game is catered towards them (and the offense in general) with the new illegal contact rules, defenseless receiver rules, etc. It's no coincidence, in my opinion, that as the game has softened up that young WR's have found more success early on in their careers. It used to take time to learn the position, which is why Koren Robinson's breakout Sophomore season was so promising back then, because it was so rare. Catching passes across the middle was tough business back in the day, just ask Darrell Jackson after he met Darren Woodson. Also, it was much more physical at the line, and it took guys a few years to learn the necessary techniques to not only beat press coverage, but to learn how to master the position while the defense was given more leeway in terms of grabbing, holding passed 5 yards, what was/was not pass interference. The WR's around today don't have to deal with that as much, in my opinion, so it's made the position more plug and play than it previously was. Just my opinion of course.

I think Waller's the perfect fit, and if I had a gun to my head, he'd be my guess as who Pete and John are really hoping to get, at some point in the draft (we've heard about guys like Luke Willson being guys that JS just couldn't leave the draft without, and he still waited 'til the 5th round to select him), to compete with Matthews in the 'BMW' role for this season, and to groom as their big-bodied WR of the future. Green-Beckham's got too many question marks, and on top of that, his athleticism isn't what everyone thought it was. He seems like the perfect Cincinnati Bengal. He actually reminds me a lot of the late Chris Henry, RIP.

McGruff

Reaction score
Wallre plays in a run first offense, but is surprisingly uninspiring as a blocker. For comparison, Phillips Dorsett gives up 6 inches and 40 pounds, and is a better blocker just due to effort.

Waller does remind me a bit of guys like Durham and Harper . . . all the measurables, limited tape and poor production. For once I'd like to draft a WR who wasn't a project or a prospect, but an actually producer.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I'm sorry.. DGB has superstar potential, and would not even be a possibility if he didn't enjoy some weed in his college days and have a domestic dispute on his record.

Is that ideal for a person to have? No. But people do make mistakes. Maybe the kid never gets it, smokes himself out of the league.. or does something worse. Or maybe he learned from those missteps as a 18, 19 year old kid.. and plays to his potential.

Give me the kid with Top 5 talent and an iffy background over a tall kid from a triple-option offense any day of the week. This would be the equivalent of passing on Randy Moss for Stephen Hill.

NYCoug

Reaction score
McGruff":1jzu7ii1 said:
Wallre plays in a run first offense, but is surprisingly uninspiring as a blocker. For comparison, Phillips Dorsett gives up 6 inches and 40 pounds, and is a better blocker just due to effort.

Waller does remind me a bit of guys like Durham and Harper . . . all the measurables, limited tape and poor production. For once I'd like to draft a WR who wasn't a project or a prospect, but an actually producer.

Which is funny, because I could see the Seahawks drafting Waller in the 4th round, just like Durham and Harper before him.

I know what you mean about wanting the producer, but it works both ways with the measurables/limited tape/poor production guys sometimes. Luke Willson fits that bill and he's turning into a solid player for the 'Hawks. He's a pretty nice #2 TE to have and he'll certainly get his chances, provided he stays healthy, with Graham potentially being used in the slot as a receiver and out wide as well.

And I know that he's had some drops in the leadup to the draft, but Waller's hands were pretty reliable at Tech this past season, no matter how awkward he may look trying to catch passes out there.

As far as DGB goes, if he falls to you in the 2nd or 3rd, yes, it'd be tough to pass on him. But a guy like Waller might be available a little bit later in the draft, allowing you to select a player at a different position that you might like more in the 2nd or 3rd round, while still being able to net a decent prospect in Waller as well.

I really doubt that the 'Hawks are singling out any guys in this year's WR crop. I'm sure they have a list of about 5 or 6 guys, maybe more, maybe less, that they really like that they'll just let fall to them as they may. I'd be really surprised if they traded up to draft a receiver, no matter who it is. Now watch, as John Schneider somehow pulls off a magical trade that lands the Seahawks Kevin White! Never a dull day in Seahawks land with Pete and John at the helm haha

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It's possible. Although I've made my non fandom of Darren Waller known. I don't think he's even close to the best WR on his own college team.

It does appear, that the Waller fans have done a good job of really whipping up a frenzy for this player. To the point where I've seen it posted plenty of times, that they'd draft Waller over DGB hands down. Which to me is pretty absurd.

Green-Beckham has flashed in multiple instances as the best player on the field. That's a rare commodity that Seattle looks for in it's prospects. The SECCG against Auburn is a prime example. He is a mismatch on tape. Not one on paper.

By my eye, Smelter simply dwarfs Waller in terms of quality. Waller did pick up slack after Smelter's injury. Which would be expected. But ultimately even GTech fans regard Smelter as the better player. I have to completely agree. Smelter is a player I'd be very bullish on as a redshrit/stash player at the end of the draft.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Just watching DGB's interviews and reading about his off field stuff, it really alarms me.

I relate it like this: would we want Josh Gordon on this team ? Hell yes, he'd kill it in our offense. Lots of teams want Josh Gordon. Hell, the Browns want Gordon, but they (or anyone else) can't have him because he can't stay on the field.

The draft is an inexact science. It's just a personal opinion, but I'd rather have a guy drafted and just not be able to produce at an NFL level for whatever reason, than draft a guy that I knew had red flags, throw away a fairly high pick on him, then watch him proceed to smoke/drink/domestic violence himself out of the league and never be able to even get on the field.

Throwing a way a 1st round pick on a guy like DGB is a terrible mistake. You better be able to see the pick as a gamble and be able to absorb the hit when he flames out. Drafting this kid in the top 10 is a mistake on the level of drafting Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf at #1 over all.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawks46":1ywlutsy said:
Throwing a way a 1st round pick on a guy like DGB is a terrible mistake. You better be able to see the pick as a gamble and be able to absorb the hit when he flames out. Drafting this kid in the top 10 is a mistake on the level of drafting Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf at #1 over all.

Who is vouching to give a 1st for him? Basically this scenario only happens if he 1) falls into the 2nd round and 2) we find a trade partner interested in our 2nd and the Saints 4th

That is in no way a 1st round pick.. or Top 10 pick :lol:

I think a lot of you guys are stuck in the Tim Ruskell mantra of drafting. Sometimes some of the players you're interested in will have some red flags. Kevin Norwood is by all accounts one of the best people in the draft character wise and he barely saw the field last season. Character doesn't equate to skillset.

NYCoug

Reaction score
My dream draft for the 'Hawks involves walking away with Waller AND Smelter as a redshirt-type, while also drafting David Johnson to handle returns/battle Turbo and CMike.

Agreed that Smelter is the better prospect than Waller.

chris98251

Reaction score
With John and Pete who's to say you don't get both with 11 picks?