David Hsu: Seahawks might trade up for DGB

massari

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":cs6uyyx3 said:
I'm sorry.. DGB has superstar potential, and would not even be a possibility if he didn't enjoy some weed in his college days and have a domestic dispute on his record.

Is that ideal for a person to have? No. But people do make mistakes. Maybe the kid never gets it, smokes himself out of the league.. or does something worse. Or maybe he learned from those missteps as a 18, 19 year old kid.. and plays to his potential.

Give me the kid with Top 5 talent and an iffy background over a tall kid from a triple-option offense any day of the week. This would be the equivalent of passing on Randy Moss for Stephen Hill.

I'd love for the Hawks to draft DGB but he's no Randy Moss btw. Plaxico Burress would be a better example.

Also I remember reading that he's had some Harvin esque problems with coaching. That concerns me more than the of the field stuff.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm not trying to sell anyone on DGB. But when I started looking at this WR group a while back, DGB immediately jumped out at me for being "Seahawky." He has the tools of a true #1 WR, he's basically a cross between Alshon Jeffery and Mike Evans tools wise.

He also has a ton of red flags. But in a way, the red flags make him more attractive to Seattle as the red flags cause DGB's stock to fall. He becomes a form of a market inefficiency at a position of supreme need for Seattle.

DGB isn't ready to run NFL routes, but Seattle doesn't run NFL routes very often, so our offense might be his softest landing spot.

The interest from Seattle makes COMPLETE sense. I only question why this rumor has reached not just Hsu but also Charles Robinson. Seattle leaked a lot of misleading info through quality sources in the recent past. This would suggest a smokescreen.

It is a weird way to use a smokescreen though, because DGB makes a ton of sense for Pete.

I do think Seattle's first pick will be on WR unless a very good OL is sitting there at #63. DGB and Devin Smith are two guys I could see Seattle dealing up for in the mid-2nd.

I strongly advocated for Seattle to move up for Mike Evans last year. Look at Johnny Manziel with and without Mike Evans. Night and day. Wilson is a similar style of QB in that he relies on answered prayers in the deep passing attack a few times a game. Imagine if those prayers were being answered by Jimmy Graham and a WR with Evans/Jeffery type tools. The theory makes sense.

I hope it happens, if only to see how humungous Hsu's ego will get. I have nothing against Hsu at all, in fact he's been pretty reliable and accurate, but the hating on him here at .net can be pretty fun.

titan3131

Reaction score
Maybe we know that everyone knows we would never leak anything unintentionally...

...so thats what John did to mindf*$K everyone\

All I know is we need a WR, and JS is playing chess while we play tic tac toe

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
There's not a better mismatch receiver in this draft. he might not win em all, but in some plays, some GAMES he's going to be very hard to stop.

He's the perfect example of pete carroll's adage "there's not many big guys who run fast" and play athletically. That's DGB.

The stuff he did is a concern, but they just brought in a FA visit who was busted with an amount of different stuff. And it's not the first time Pete and John taken in someone who's had problems in the past. Just saying, if pete and John are sold on him as a person they need to be talking how far up they want to move. I think early 2nd is worth it.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Off field stuff isn't the only concern. Issues within his game too, some not easy to rectify.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Somehow I suspect that this is speculation or maybe an intentional smokescreen.

After the trade for Graham JS indicated he was glad to have traded away the contract that would come with 1st rd pick so I'm dubious that he'd trade away picks to acquire one. If DGB were to fall into a 2nd rd range then possibly he'd do a trade but even then trading up in the draft is something that seems to run contrary to everything we've seen from him to now.

However, people change and methods of operation do too. With 11 picks and 5 in the 1st 4 rds., could see the team trade up as long as the player was close to being in range and was that expensive in terms of picks to acquire.

All in all though I remain dubious.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
jammerhawk":tvbi4t90 said:
Somehow I suspect that this is speculation or maybe an intentional smokescreen.

After the trade for Graham JS indicated he was glad to have traded away the contract that would come with 1st rd pick so I'm dubious that he'd trade away picks to acquire one. If DGB were to fall into a 2nd rd range then possibly he'd do a trade but even then trading up in the draft is something that seems to run contrary to everything we've seen from him to now.

However, people change and methods of operation do too. With 11 picks and 5 in the 1st 4 rds., could see the team trade up as long as the player was close to being in range and was that expensive in terms of picks to acquire.

All in all though I remain dubious.

The rumor never said anything about trading back into Round 1. The rumor never said anything about trading another 1st.

We are talking if DGB falls to .. lets say the mid 40's .. then the Seahawks may start to ramp up their efforts to move up in the 2nd round to get him.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Wow. Didn't know he was a state champ in 100m, triple jump and 2nd in long jump. He has some serious athleticism.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
DGB fits Pete's plan athletically. He fits 99-100% of every other coach's plan, athletically.

And Pete isn't afraid of a guy with a checkered past.

But Pete does not take on dumbasses.

Bruce Irvin, who many here say best qualifies on the Seahawks roster, overcame his youthful lawlessness well before draft time, showing he could keep it together and fly right at two collegiate programs. He was an abandoned teenager who found opportunity and made the most of it. DGB had a shot at a stellar college career, and he REPEATEDLY showed a lack of respect for that. Now he's leaving after 25 games and chasing the only money he may ever get from football.

DGB may have the potential to become a stand-up adult, but for now he's a dumbass kid IMO and it's a long road for him to reach maturity. A good FO and locker room would help him, and we have those, but I won't be upset if he's another team's problem. This coming from a Mizzou alum who roots for all Tigers in the NFL (sans Blaine Gabbert and Aldon Smith, lol).

The Seahawks have survived – and thrived – with less-athletic receivers who have their heads on straight for years. And now we have a consummate pro and huge target & threat in Graham. There are other WRs in the draft who can get the job done with none of the dumbass tendencies. I hope the Hawks go that route.

kearly

Reaction score
I think he's kind of like Brandon Marshall situation-wise. A guy that probably should have a 4th round grade, even though he has top 10 pick physical ability. I'd give DGB only a small chance of having the kind of career Marshall had, but it's certainly within his ability.

Chawker

Reaction score
Trading up for a special player doesn't make alot of since, unless you can justify doing so.
Example: Seattle trades Marshawn Lynch RB to the Oakland Raiders for there #4 pick. Seattle then trades back to the # 17 and selects Todd Girly RB.
Complete plan that is justifiable.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Chawker":3fmeaj2j said:
Trading up for a special player doesn't make alot of since, unless you can justify doing so.
Example: Seattle trades Marshawn Lynch RB to the Oakland Raiders for there #4 pick. Seattle then trades back to the # 17 and selects Todd Girly RB.
Complete plan that is justifiable.

Um. No. No it's not.

Chawker

Reaction score
Frankly, I just don't see the love for DGB, he can't separate, his catches are ALWAYS contested and shows no atheism or abilities to do anything but fall on the ground after the balls in his hands. I mean really!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Chawker":15rhiqw4 said:
Frankly, I just don't see the love for DGB, he can't separate, his catches are ALWAYS contested and shows no atheism or abilities to do anything but fall on the ground after the balls in his hands. I mean really!

He's an atheist too? Damn DGB is just trouble plain and simple.

But I agree.. DGB shows no athleticism or ability to separate from a defender here at all. :roll:

[youtube]0zpWOO7TPeU[/youtube]