Davis Webb meets with Seahawks

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
iigakusei":3nxz0sm2 said:
These ulterior motive posts are so lame.
They are doing their homework in case San Fran or Arizona drafts him - that's it.

Yeah, I would agree. But, making definitive statements about other people's motives isn't the least-lame thing in the world either. There are any number of reasons why they would want to have a private workout with Webb, one being he isn't a second round lock, let alone a first round lock. Seems like doing their homework in case a rival might pick him would be a waste of visit when all they have to do is watch film on him. Where is the precident for this type of visit?

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
iigakusei":3l00cbx5 said:
semiahmoo":3l00cbx5 said:
iigakusei":3l00cbx5 said:
These ulterior motive posts are so lame.
They are doing their homework in case San Fran or Arizona drafts him - that's it.

???

Could you explain the San Fran & Arizona angle as it pertains to the Hawks and this particular position?

Thanks.
Not that I really believe you care - but IMO they are doing their homework and getting a good look at him up close for the possibility they face him this year or maybe the next (as the QB for San Fran or Arizona). That is smart. It is what smart front offices do. It has absolutely zero to do with Russell Wilson.
Or maybe it does? After all, the consensus of many here about how fat, slow and short Russ is suggests that the Hawks will trade Sherm for a 1st rounder. I mean many here feel Sherm is a cancer and losing a step anyways. I bet the FO reads this board and all the gossip and takes the opinions here seriously. :roll:
:sarcasm_on:

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I don't know why we're trying to read more into this when the real reason is obvious:

Webb is clearly the type of QB Pete wanted when the Hawks signed Flynn.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Times indicated it might be out of caution for Wilson's new propensity to injury that a QB of Webb's potential caliber has their interest. If Webb doesn't go until the deeper rounds, he would be a significant pickup for a team that was a whisker away from having to play with a backup QB last season.

With Boykin's recent legal issues that makes sense.

That said, I think Webb will go earlier and Seattle won't use up an early round pick on him.

The times also had this bit of information:

"And he also has some connections that might have compelled a visit — his agent is Doug Hendrickson, who also represents Marshawn Lynch and Michael Bennett, and Webb is being mentored through the draft process by former Seahawk QB and longtime assistant Jim Zorn (I detailed the Webb-Zorn relationship in this story from the NFL Combine)."

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... -seahawks/

632931206-e1485708665216.jpg

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Atradees":146blan5 said:
With Boykin's legal issues I dont see any complicated motives.

Well, the complicated/confusing part is that Webb likely won't go middle of the pack in the draft. Some are calling him a first rounder which I don't see the Hawks burning a first round pick on him unless the fear of RW going down with injury is perhaps higher than we know.

Read the articles on it. Webb's visit is generating quite a bit of buzz because it is rather unusual.

Atradees

Reaction score
I dont get the feeling this is a QB strong class. He might slide way down to the second. We may trade down and select him. Or we may trade up n the second with our pile of thirds.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Atradees":1xnrbdff said:
I dont get the feeling this is a QB strong class. He might slide way down to the second.

Some say 2nd round is still too high. I say 2nd round we snack him up quick.

RW should have sat out at least a few games last season. He won't be able to tough it out like that much more. His body won't allow it.

We need some firepower at backup QB. Was never sure about Boykin and given his legal issues, you might be right. The organization is feeling out this Webb and might be ready to pull the trigger in that 2nd round.

I'd be fine with that.

Atradees

Reaction score
Maybe we are looking to spend a third on him. I think we have three this year and thats why we would look. Maybe we look at some other QBs as well. Then we pick up a 5th round QB we might like better.

Looks like a competitor. What are his college stats?

Secretly, I never like the whole short QB thing.....until RW. RW is awesome. No doubt.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Atradees":33jrkffv said:
Maybe we are looking to spend a third on him. I think we have three this year and thats why we would look. Maybe we look at some other QBs as well. Then we pick up a 5th round QB we might like better.

Looks like a competitor. What are his college stats?

Secretly, I never like the whole short QB thing.....until RW. RW is awesome. No doubt.

Short works OK when they have speed/athleticism which Russel does/did. As he gets older, that gets tougher to use as compensation for lack of height.

RW looks like he's working very hard on coming into camp in shape/leaner this year than last season when he was clearly carrying too much weight. He can't afford to take a pounding like last season. Nobody can keep that up and given his size, even more so. He was slower, we lacked a consistent O-Line and run game - the guy was a sitting duck back there.

If we get Webb in the 3rd, that's a steal.

Josea16

Reaction score
IrishNW":13xe65yb said:
this is either nothing or very very telling...
Maybe but more likely they are thinking of trying to see if it's worth a 3rd round pick to get him.

Seafan

Reaction score
Atradees":3ouhtdb2 said:
I dont get the feeling this is a QB strong class. He might slide way down to the second. We may trade down and select him. Or we may trade up n the second with our pile of thirds.

You are correct. It is a very weak QB class with no worthy first round candidates but at least 3 QBs will be drafted in the first round, perhaps two in the top 10 with 7 QBs taken in the first two rounds. This helps the Hawks IMO. Desperate teams wasting picks on QBs, RBs and OLs in the first two rounds leaves the better athletes for the Hawks.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Seafan":3mklzeim said:
Atradees":3mklzeim said:

You are correct. It is a very weak QB class with no worthy first round candidates but at least 3 QBs will be drafted in the first round, perhaps two in the top 10 with 7 QBs taken in the first two rounds. This helps the Hawks IMO. Desperate teams wasting picks on QBs, RBs and OLs in the first two rounds leaves the better athletes for the Hawks.

Interesting.

nash72

Reaction score
mikeak":adwgadek said:
While I agree that a backup may be needed and taken in the draft there is just no way that I see Seattle drafting one in the first three rounds.

If they do someone should be fired.

When you have gaping holes elsewhere then you don't waste your pick on a backup

I agree with this. Team can get a backup QB anytime.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If nothing else having a look doesn't hurt and it may cause Boykin to wake up and realize his tenure in Seattle is pretty tenuous due to his recent behaviour. Besides having a closer look allows the team to know more about this player.

Seattle has been very economical with their draft resources spent on QBs recently and having a solid in house developmental player added to the mix is a good thing for the team. Exactly when he would be picked is a different matter, but late on the 2nd day would be just about right.

If nothing else having looks at Mahonnes (?sp.) and Webb is confusing to those who think they are beginning to peg Seattle's draft thinking and puts additional pressure on QB needy teams so they may wish to trade up. I wonder if they will look at Kizer too?

chrispy

Reaction score
Pete said numerous times when he was new that he intended to draft a QB every year. The position is different. He values it and analyzes it differently and separately than any other. (https://www.pressreader.com/usa/the-dai ... 3274066976) This is an article from 2011 but there are dozens of references if you look back several years.

Once you accept that the QB evaluation is a singular process, not dependent on any other circumstance- draft position, areas of need, cap space..., then it all makes sense. They'll rank the prospects and try to get value at that particular position every year, regardless of need. Patriots have been doing this for a decade and get value back from their backup on a regular basis.