Dear Russell Wilson

mrt144

Reaction score
kf3339":2rsvyhtc said:
lobohawk":2rsvyhtc said:
Regarding point #1.

Per Sheil Kapadia.
http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-se...son-getting-rid-of-the-ball-quicker-than-ever

"According to ESPN Stats & Information, Wilson is releasing the ball on average in 2.33 seconds, which is ninth-fastest in the NFL. Last year, that number was 2.67 (32nd). In fact, he's never finished higher than 32nd in release time since entering the league.
After watching all of Wilson's throws from Sunday again, I came away thinking he played a very smart game. When plays didn't materialize, he threw the ball away. When he escaped pressure, he made sure to slide rather than chance it for a few extra yards. And even with those precautions, he still was hit nine times and sacked twice."

I didn't say his average was bad. I just said he still holds the ball too long on certain occassions. That is still true IMO. You can certainly disagree.

And he always will hold the ball 'too long'. It's a qualitative inference that can't be refuted.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
kf3339":3sgi5g4y said:
Siouxhawk":3sgi5g4y said:
P.S. Favre never called his own plays.

WRONG! I have heard interviews from Viking players from that time in which they stated he called his own plays in the huddle. You don't know what your talking about at all. I even heard Favre on two occassions state he would change the plays that came into the huddle from Bevell.
Give me a link to that please. I followed the situation very closely and that was never the case. You are confusing calling an audible, which is a play within a play, to completely drawing up a new play in the dirt like you would do in a sandlot game. Do you know how confusing that would be?

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":386ehqy6 said:
kf3339":386ehqy6 said:
Siouxhawk":386ehqy6 said:
P.S. Favre never called his own plays.

WRONG! I have heard interviews from Viking players from that time in which they stated he called his own plays in the huddle. You don't know what your talking about at all. I even heard Favre on two occassions state he would change the plays that came into the huddle from Bevell.
Give me a link to that please. I followed the situation very closely and that was never the case. You are confusing calling an audible, which is a play within a play, to completely drawing up a new play in the dirt like you would do in a sandlot game. Do you know how confusing that would be?

It was interviews on TV. I will try to see if any exist, but I know the difference between audibles and changing plays in the huddle. Also, they never said he drew up plays in the dirt, but just I'm sure called other plays in their system. Just not the play that came into the huddle. I followed that time closely as well. You can certainly disagree. That is what the board is about all the time.

chris98251

Reaction score
I remember them several times, Farve would change the play because he often thought Bevell was an idiot and he said just that. He never played in a NFL game was another one of his statements. There were a lot of arguments on the sidelines and a point where Brett would not even talk to him.

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
chris98251":gc75fi5n said:
I remember them several times, Farve would change the play because he often thought Bevell was an idiot and he said just that. He never played in a NFL game was another one of his statements. There were a lot of arguments on the sidelines and a point where Brett would not even talk to him.

Exactly. Thank you.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1z255yhz said:
Absolutely not. I'm guessing you read something on a blog and interpreted that as truth. Could either of you please supply a link from a credible source for that information. Bevell and Favre are really good friends by the way.

chris98251

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":22bww7ne said:
chris98251":22bww7ne said:
Absolutely not. I'm guessing you read something on a blog and interpreted that as truth. Could either of you please supply a link from a credible source for that information. Bevell and Favre are really good friends by the way.

I remember seeing the halftime reports and showing the arguments, I remember interviews, I remember the dysfunction also with Childress and then him trying to make the peace.

Friends is not the point, you can be friends and disagree with them on the field, remember Farve is who was mentoring Bevell when he came to Green Bay not the other way around.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":maklfq28 said:
OkieHawk":maklfq28 said:
Could you please provide a link from a credible source for that information. :twisted:
Probably. But I don't feel like it.

Then I'd presume you'll get the same courtesy in response then.

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":17fq0w3k said:
OkieHawk":17fq0w3k said:
Siouxhawk":17fq0w3k said:
chris98251":17fq0w3k said:
Bevell and Favre are really good friends by the way.

Could you please provide a link from a credible source for that information. :twisted:

In other words, you have no credible source to link.

I however later today will make a concerted effort to find any links for TV and/or paper sources to back my statements and those other posters who referenced this discussion.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":14iqbwne said:
Siouxhawk":14iqbwne said:
chris98251":14iqbwne said:

I remember seeing the halftime reports and showing the arguments, I remember interviews, I remember the dysfunction also with Childress and then him trying to make the peace.

Friends is not the point, you can be friends and disagree with them on the field, remember Farve is who was mentoring Bevell when he came to Green Bay not the other way around.
I don't know if I'd label it as dysfunction since that team made the NFC title game, but yeah, Favre wanted to pass more than Chili liked, the same way he pissed off Holmgren and McCarthy in Green Bay. The Vikes did have Adrian in his prime, after all. But I'm confident the switches were audibles to a pass. You would have certain personnel packages in that could doom the outcome if a play were entirely switched.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
OkieHawk":kojzglw4 said:
Siouxhawk":kojzglw4 said:
OkieHawk":kojzglw4 said:

Then I'd presume you'll get the same courtesy in response then.
I really don't care if you believe me on whether Bevell and Favre are friends, by the way.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":38utb9hd said:

I don't know if I'd label it as dysfunction since that team made the NFC title game, but yeah, Favre wanted to pass more than Chili liked, the same way he pissed off Holmgren and McCarthy in Green Bay. The Vikes did have Adrian in his prime, after all. But I'm confident the switches were audibles to a pass. You would have certain personnel packages in that could doom the outcome if a play were entirely switched.[/quote]

Wait, so there are only a small handful of available plays per personnel package? About the only ones that would be doomed if totally switched are special teams packages. Potentially, a team could stay in one offensive package and run a myriad of plays for an entire game. Would they? Probably not. But if an OC were creative enough and you had the people to do it with, definitely plausible.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1st89olx said:
Siouxhawk":1st89olx said:
OkieHawk":1st89olx said:

I don't know if I'd label it as dysfunction since that team made the NFC title game, but yeah, Favre wanted to pass more than Chili liked, the same way he pissed off Holmgren and McCarthy in Green Bay. The Vikes did have Adrian in his prime, after all. But I'm confident the switches were audibles to a pass. You would have certain personnel packages in that could doom the outcome if a play were entirely switched.

Wait, so there are only a small handful of available plays per personnel package? About the only ones that would be doomed if totally switched are special teams packages. Potentially, a team could stay in one offensive package and run a myriad of plays for an entire game. Would they? Probably not. But if an OC were creative enough and you had the people to do it with, definitely plausible.

It could also lead to disaster if an assignment was missed.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2rrl8alv said:
OkieHawk":2rrl8alv said:

It could also lead to disaster if an assignment was missed.

That's even on plays that aren't audibled/changed. Not sure why you even wrote that...

StoneCold

Reaction score
kf3339":242fc52k said:
StoneCold":242fc52k said:
Should have just said "Fire Bevell" Sheesh.

Nowhere did I say any such thing. My comments were to Wilson; not Bevell.

"Dear Russell, please call your own plays and ignore Mr. Bevell"

I paraphrase, but...

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Sources: Offense source of friction
Facebook
Twitter
A quick search and I found this from Werder. You'll notice it says he CHECKED into a pass play.

Dec 24, 2009
Ed Werder
ESPN NFL Insider
MINNEAPOLIS -- The tension between Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre and coach Brad Childress is the result of disagreement over how much influence each should expect to have in running the offense during games, according to multiple team sources.

Childress has a reputation for limiting the number of audibles he allows his quarterbacks to call at the line of scrimmage. Favre apparently believes his knowledge of the offensive system and 19 years of NFL experience qualify him to make changes based on his extensive film study of opponents.

Although the two have discussed their recent disagreement -- which became public when Favre resisted Childress' attempts to pull him from Sunday night's loss in Carolina -- it is unclear whether they have resolved the fundamental issue: Are Childress and his coaching staff going to control the game from the sideline, or will Favre be permitted the autonomy he feels is necessary to control it at the line of scrimmage?

At news conferences on Wednesday, Childress and Favre said they had spoken and resolved to move forward. Childress said they had a "good talk" on Monday and Wednesday about their disagreement

"He and I talked, as we have all year," Favre said, adding that given the team's recent slump, "the frustration is gonna show."

"It's gotten blown way out of proportion," he said.

With the NFC North-leading Vikings (11-3) mired in an offensive slump that has seen them lose two of their last three games, Favre has indicated to teammates he is moving forward and is focused on Monday night's game against the Chicago Bears, the Vikings' first cold-weather game of the season.

What happened in Carolina and in several other games this season in which Childress considered removing Favre for too often changing running plays into pass attempts has nothing to do with Childress attempting to protect his 40-year-old quarterback from punishment or wanting to replace Favre with a quarterback who offers a different style, sources said.

According to sources, Favre dislikes that Childress seldom discusses the game plan with him during the week, and does not encourage the quarterback to offer suggestions as to which plays he feels most comfortable calling in certain situations. When Favre changes the play at the line of scrimmage -- using his film study and experience -- Childress bristles, even when the audible Favre calls works perfectly.

Wednesday, Favre addressed that report, saying he has not demanded more freedom to call his own shots.

"I think there are times I see things that maybe I feel like we could get to or a change that maybe at the line of scrimmage I could get to. As I've told [offensive coordinator] Darrell [Bevell] and I've told [Childress] and anyone who has ever played the game -- we all think we know it all at some point. I know that's not the case," Favre said.

"I know our offense starts with Adrian Peterson and that's where it ends and we have to get that back on track," he said. "However, we do that we have to get it back on track and we're working towards it. I'm not going up there and saying, 'Hey, you have to give me more freedom,' because we've been good this year. We've sputtered the last couple of weeks but it can be fixed. I don't think anything major has to happen other than we have to play better."

Favre's experience in the offense -- which, before he signed, he said he knew better than the coaches -- and his leadership were among the qualities he thought the Vikings valued most in pursuing him. Teammates and coaches have lauded the endless hours Favre dedicates to studying tape of opponents, one coach saying Favre knows the names of the janitors at the team complex because he keeps such late hours.

Teammates have apparently supported Favre's refusal to leave the field against Carolina when he had what the quarterback later terms as a "heated discussion" with Childress.

LeRoy Butler, Favre's former teammate in Green Bay, said he was not surprised by the incident, explaining that he believes "Everybody in Minnesota knows that Brett Favre is running that organization," according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Butler, who earlier this season was critical of his former Packers teammate for signing with the archrival Vikings, said Favre should not have questioned Childress when he was asked to come out of the game at Carolina, according to the report.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
It was nice to hear both PC and DB back the idea that RW had wide open authority to change the call the way he did, on the play to ADB for a TD in the Dolphins game.

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
StoneCold":ij56vvqj said:
kf3339":ij56vvqj said:
StoneCold":ij56vvqj said:
Should have just said "Fire Bevell" Sheesh.

Nowhere did I say any such thing. My comments were to Wilson; not Bevell.

"Dear Russell, please call your own plays and ignore Mr. Bevell"

I paraphrase, but...

Actually, Yes.

That is completely different from saying Fire Bevell. But I would trust a QB (Wilson) with 66 career regular season starts and 10 postseason starts than an OC who has "NEVER" played in an NFL game. My point is I believe Wilson is now better qualified to run this offense than Bevell. He is not a rookie any longer. He is a true veteran.That's it.

If we were talking about TJ the answer would be absolutely NO. But were talking about Wilson.

Some think this is foreign to the QB position. The fact is the NFL has had many past QB's who have called their own plays. Many are in the Hall of Fame with mulitple Super Bowl rings. This is not unusual at all.