Defending Bevell?

Brithawk

Reaction score
Saw a stat earlier on Harvin. Average depth of target with Vikings - 7.? Yds. With Jets 8.? Yds.

With us, 3.? Yds. Should have used the useless prick downfield rather than on constant screens

sedrohawk

Reaction score
bevell needs another offseason of watching college football to restock his playbook.

pehawk

Reaction score
Brithawk":13zic9eb said:
Saw a stat earlier on Harvin. Average depth of target with Vikings - 7.? Yds. With Jets 8.? Yds.

With us, 3.? Yds. Should have used the useless prick downfield rather than on constant screens

That's on Pete. He dreamed of a passing attack that was essentially handoff.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Well let me try. Um no, the guy sucks.

Fades to the end zone when you have the best back in the league at breaking tackles? Empty backfield on 2nd and 3rd and short?

Our offensive coordinator is terrible and there is no other way of looking at it. We now have a 280 lb fullback and within the 5 yard line you don't use him as a battering ram?

Typically on 3rd and 7 or 8, we have one guy at the sticks and 2 other receivers running 25 yards down field.

Play action? We don't use it. Traditional screen? We don't have one.

Why can't we run a pro set with Lynch and Michael in the backfield?

Does anyone remember the reverse bubble screen to Walters? WTF! That play would have been stuffed in D-2.

When we are running down someones throat, Bevell chooses to pass, when our run game is struggling he runs.

Bevell refuses to take a shot down the field so defenses cheat up. On 4 and 1 in the Chiefs game he runs into the heart of the Chiefs defense with our 4th center expected to work miracles.

In summary, our OC is a straight up clown IMO.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Am I the only one who just thinks we lack talent on Offense?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1beismho said:

Then you do what we did against the Giants and force the only few components who you can trust. Lynch and RW's legs and a few key passes.

That's why Bevell fails.

hangumhi

Reaction score
storm74":3ebwfzvt said:

Fades to the end zone when you have the best back in the league at breaking tackles? Empty backfield on 2nd and 3rd and short?

Our offensive coordinator is terrible and there is no other way of looking at it. We have a 280 lb fullback and within the 5 yard line you don't use him as a battering ram?

Typically on 3rd and 7 or 8, we have one guy at the sticks and 2 other receivers running 25 yards down field.

Does anyone remember the reverse bubble screen to Walters? WTF! That play would have been stuffed in D-2.

When we are running down someones throat, Bevell chooses to pass, when our run game is struggling he runs.

Bevell refuses to take a shot down the field so defenses cheat up. On 4 and 1 in the Chiefs game he runs into the heart of the Chiefs defense with our 4th center expected to work miracles.

I couldn't agree more. Everything you wrote is exactly what I scream at the TV like a mad man every week...yes even 2013 to the bone heads who keep defending bevell with a reverse scapegoat argument like he was the reason hawks won the super bowl last year...wake the hell up we won despite Bevell and i believe we may have gone undefeated with a better offensive coordinator who knows how to call plays situationally. I swear bevell guesses more often than he strategizes.

hangumhi

Reaction score
storm74":31s5wb5s said:

Our offensive coordinator is terrible and there is no other way of looking at it. We have a 280 lb fullback and within the 5 yard line you don't use him as a battering ram?

I couldn't agree more. Everything you wrote is exactly what I scream at the TV like a mad man every week...yes even 2013 to the bone heads who keep defending bevell with a reverse scapegoat argument like he was the reason hawks won the super bowl last year...wake the hell up we won despite Bevell and i believe we may have gone undefeated with a better offensive coordinator who knows how to call plays situationally. I swear bevell guesses more often than he strategizes.

firebee

Reaction score
AgentDib":3n558b71 said:
Chawks1":3n558b71 said:
Except he has been running the bubble screen and empty backfield on obvious pass situations since. He. Has been here. They didnt work then but he continues to run them.
I know this bugs a lot of people but I don't think "empty Seahawks backfield" is a thing as long as we have Russ. He gets the same sort of attention that a third down back would get and rushers have to come in with contain principles and mind gaps like they would on running downs. Defenses can't afford to only play the pass or he picks it up with his legs. Why is the occasional empty backfield a bad look with a highly mobile QB?

Empty backfield is bad because you can drop everybody into coverage knowing it's going to be a pass against suspect receivers with a contain pass rush and kill the play almost every time. Empty backfield is stupid for an offense with a suspect passing game and our passing game is clearly suspect to say the least. You can also mark it down as a guarantee... The Eagles defense will do exactly the same thing against us that they did against Carolina. Heavy coverage, 3-4 man rush with contain responsibility, force the QB to hold on to the ball and try throwing into coverage or the QB holds on to the ball too long and the rush converges on him. Maybe every other 3rd and long, they'll send a jailbreak blitz.

hangumhi

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2rjcxzig said:
No there are others who feel the same way but what are you measuring against? Compared to the greatest show on turf? Or the current Tampa Bay bucs?
One thing I know is bevell doesn't use the talent we have to our advantage...ever!! It's not a fluke that even in a championship season like last year there were a ton of hawks fans (myself included) calling for bevell to be fired...the guy sucks and people who know a little bit about football know the things he's consistently doing wrong.

hangumhi

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2n56sk37 said:
No there are others who feel the same way but what are you measuring against? Compared to the greatest show on turf? Or the current Tampa Bay bucs?
One thing I know is bevell doesn't use the talent we have to our advantage...ever!! It's not a fluke that even in a championship season like last year there were a ton of hawks fans (myself included) calling for bevell to be fired...the guy sucks and people who know a little bit about football know the things he's consistently doing wrong.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
hangumhi":2bv33a6w said:
One thing I know is bevell doesn't use the talent we have to our advantage...ever!!

These are the kinds of things people say that make me defend Bevell when I'm not really a huge Bevell fan anyway. People just say shit that isn't true and makes no sense. It's honestly embarrassing.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
storm74":2vm8zbrs said:

Clown?, well he isn't very funny, NOR is he amusingly tactical.
Some say he only calls the plays, he doesn't make the plays, well, maybe he should try calling some plays that can be implemented with a better chance of success.
If I can pretty much figure out about 85 to 90% of his play schemes, can you imagine how fundamentally simple it was for Andy Reid to digest and counter?, how about Bruce Ariens?, ya think he's going to be fooled too?, Harbaugh?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":tntwyipb said:
hangumhi":tntwyipb said:
One thing I know is bevell doesn't use the talent we have to our advantage...ever!!

These are the kinds of things people say that make me defend Bevell when I'm not really a huge Bevell fan anyway. People just say shit that isn't true and makes no sense. It's honestly embarrassing.

But, but, he does bubble screams, and empty back sex, and fake routes.

I'm not Bevell's biggest fan, but it's kind of mad how he's the only one subject to abuse after games.

What about Dan Quinn. You're saying we lose one freakin player and all of a sudden we suck at run defense? We should cater to the idea that there'd be some drop off, but Sunday was horrible, and no, it wasn't 'just bad tackling', we were flat out embarrassed on some of those plays.

"Yeh but we had some guys out". Guess what? It's the same story on offense but we don't grant DB the benefit of the doubt.

You know that our qualms with Bevell are on passing plays, and he sure confuses the crap out of me with his calls sometimes (honestly, full blown incontinence), but he's also working with an O-line built for the run. We've been mediocre in pass protection for a long time, and whilst it's undoubtedly hindered by injury, that's the nature of the beast; that's the type of football we play, and so that's the higher risk of injury we incur.

Cable actually pissed me off a little in yesterday's presser, he was praising our pass protection and the general tone gave off the impression that it was pretty good.

This is our best year, statistically. I think we're tenth right now, and we've never been lower than the twenties. Hits on the quarterback, hurries, sacks, all that. So, knock on wood, I think we've given up 18 in ten games that we've played so far, so that's less than half of where we were at last year.

He also alluded to them having a trickier job given that Russ is 'all over the place'. Russ is all over the place because he's under constant duress (yes, he bails early too), but his scrambling isn't necessarily hurting those stats, it's probably helping them. I don't know where the figure 18 came from either, Russ has been sacked 20 times and hit 50, that puts us in the bottom half of the league without taking into account the fact we pass it the least. I'd fancy we were at least bottom 10 if you looked at the percentages, and very likely bottom 5.

Again I recognize that injuries contribute to our struggles (we looked fairly solid with Unger in there on Sunday), but don't allude to it actually being good, even impressive.

It's pretty simple, if we're paying Wilson next year, we're going to have to protect him better than we have been. And if Lynch goes, then doubly so. I have just as many doubts about Cable's ability to take us forward as Bevell's. And I'm also interested to see how Quinn responds to last week's performance, he might be saved by Bobby Wagner's speedy recovery.

In summation, fire them all.

No, I'm really just trying to deflect the blame somewhat. Bevell's an easy target, and I get it, if you were going to pick a fight with one of Cable, Quinn and Bevell, you'd take Bevell every time. Just have a good reason for it. Pussies.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Careful bruh. Ryan's gonna tell you how bad the 1st down call in the end zone was.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1x6o0qez said:
Careful bruh. Ryan's gonna tell you how bad the 1st down call in the end zone was.

Stop seeking fights with Ryan, the sexual tension between you two makes me uncomfortable.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2bkgtegs said:
Zebulon Dak":2bkgtegs said:

Stop seeking fights with Ryan, the sexual tension between you two makes me uncomfortable.

Just enjoy it.

pehawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3ep00rha said:

I never said it was bad, said it was negligent and incompetent.

In an alternate universe, that exact game was being played, and that play was called for that universe. In that universe the Seahawks were at the 50, up 4, with 4 minutes left. All of this frustration lacks the understanding that Bevell is a multi dimensional being.

There was an eloquent break down of that play in the shack. It's not a call a professional OC should make. Theres no excuse for it. Literally.

Fwiw, Petes venting his frustration of the passing game publicly now. I have a feeling within a few months Bevell talk will evaporate via attrition.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":2nfu2z3o said:
Zebulon Dak":2nfu2z3o said:

I never said it was bad, said it was negligent and incompetent.

In an alternate universe, that exact game was being played, and that play was called for that universe. In that universe the Seahawks were at the 50, up 4, with 4 minutes left. All of this frustration lacks the understanding that Bevell is a multi dimensional being.

There was an eloquent break down of that play in the shack. It's not a call a professional OC should make. Theres no excuse for it. Literally.

Fwiw, Petes venting his frustration of the passing game publicly now. I have a feeling within a few months Bevell talk will evaporate via attrition.
And then his current apologists will have reasons it was good he is gone.

pehawk

Reaction score
"But the injuries caused him to want a safety there. Jon Ryan's healthy and a player that needs touches. All OC's try and get there talent touches. All OC's compensate for injuries by drawing up plays that are schematically flawed. Nothing sells play action like back pedaling offensive lineman"

Latest posts