Defense Primed For 5th Scoring Title?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Seahawks return 10 of the 12 starters (if you count NCB) that they ended the season with.

Bennett, 8th year
Rubin, 8th year
Avril, 9th year
Wagner, 5th year
Wright, 6th year
Sherman, 6th year
Thomas, 7th year
Chancellor, 7th year
Shead, 5th year
Lane, 5th year

Seahawks are returning starters are now all veterans with at least 4 years in the NFL.

Of the 10, 9 are considered above average or elite at thier respected position.

Only Shead would be considered average or less on last years performance. Not the stalwart Seahawks had stepped up to the position in years past opposite Sherman. But he showed enough compared to Williams that the physicality, accountability, and trust is there.

However, it should also be taken account with Shead that he was at Safety until pressed to play CB in the KC pre-season tilt. He then went back to Safety until about mid-season or so.

Shead has the chance to improve over this off-season by being fully prepared playing that CB role physically and mentally.

The 2 starters the Seahawks lost were 11th year Brandon Mebane at 1T/NT and 5th year Bruce Irvin at SLB/LEO.

Seahawks initially replaced Mebane by signing a familar (Moffitt trade) and massive (330+) plugger in Sealver Siliga who was a servicable DT in the Patriots rotation the last two years after spending time on Seahawks PS in 2013.

Seahawks then traded up in the 2nd round for 6'3, 311 Jarran Reed. A DT many pegged as a first round talent and was considered a phenonmal run-defender, a run-stuffing hole plugger but a highly active tackler with great awareness and ferocious physical presence. To some he was the best traditional DT in this draft and perhaps in the last few classes.

Mebane's position looks to be in good hands with a young force and an experienced plugger.

Irvin's role is likely going to be split with differ ent players filling his 2 down SLB role and his LEO role.

Irvin's LEO role goes to 2nd year Frank Clark who possesses the physical and athletic tools to be dominate.

Seahawks then signed a familar presence in Chris Clemons to round out the DE depth as well as be a mentor to Clark. Clemons is more or less the only successful LEO defender Seahawks had although Seahawks went away from it when Bennett and Avril emerged. Clemons may be on his last legs but he could be highly valuable on the back-end of rotation in limited snaps, much like the 2nd half of 2013. However, his best value is as a no-nonsense Alpha Dog leader who could help bring back the tough, physical swagger Seahawks D have been slowly losing the last two years.

Irvin's SLB is harder to identify and looks like a heavy competition of different players.

Even though listed as a DE, I think Cassius Marsh will get a chancd, he looks the best athletically hes ever been slimming down to 245 but adding noticeable strength in his core and upperbody. His size , length, athleticism also compares well to KJ Wright. He showed very little in terms of pass-rush upside but could be an effective blitzer from the LB position. And his DL experience gives him the tools to set the edge and if anything Marsh has shown is that he's a quality tackler and good in pursuit. His best value though is that he emerged as an ace on STs. If the Seahawks are serious about keeping Clemons then giving Marsh the opportunity to fill the SLB role would be smart.

The others competiting for the SLB role is the versatile 6th year Mike Morgan, who is a solid but unspectacular LB. He has the experience to be a filler and was likely re-signed to keep a quality floor. 3rd year DB convert Eric Pinkins. 3rd year uber athletic KPL who could get a chance as Malcolm Smith did while being sub 230. And then a flurry of hungry UDFAs looking to make thier mark and sieze the opportunity.

However, it should be stated that the Seahawks could be minimalizing a true SLB altogether and are planning on using snaps at that position as for match-up.

It starts with the return of Brandon Browner, the prodigal bully, who brings the same value as Clemons as a mentor and leader. Seahawks plan to use Browner as a match-up DB against zone-killing TEs and big slot WRs, as well as a big, bad, bully in press against smaller slot WRs. Browner as a run-defender brings the physical make-up of a LBer. He might be 220 but plays and hits like hes 240.

The return to the quest of sorts of uncovering the elusive Big Safety dime package extraordinaire that was popular in 2010 and 2011. The 6'4, 220 Browner fits the bill but he does have some competition in udfa rookie and positional wunderkind Tanner McEvoy, who is just not an athlete but a smart, savvy football player with the skill to play multiple positions who is listed at 6'6, 233 and possibly the previously mentioned S to CB to S to IR to LB convert Eric Pinkins at 6'3, 230.

Depth will play a big role in maintaining consistency throughout the season long gauntlet.

DE returns all 4 players that held the position last year Bennett, Avril, Clark, Marsh while adding Clemons and some talented UDFAs to the mix. Again Marsh could get the opportunity to compete at SLB if hes not already.

DT returns only 2 of the 5, Rubin and 4th year now 290 pounds Jordan Hill. Seahawks added Siliga and Reed plus drafted another DT in Quinton Jefferson with Bennett-like qualities and signed a sparqed-up beast in UDFA in Brandin Bryant whom look to compete with with Hill as a pass-rusher.

Losses if you care were Mebane, Dobbs (not resigned), King/Francis (both cut).

At LBer I think the Seahawks returned every starter and back-up but Irvin while adding more competition to the mix through UDFAs.

In the secondary, the Seahawks did even better by returning all non-Cary Williams players that they ended the season with. The ones not mentioned before are 2nd year Tye Smith, 4th year? Marcus Burley at CB. 3rd year Steven Terrill and 4th year? Kelcie McCray at Safety.

The Seahawks also have 4th year Tharold Simon and 3rd year former 2nd round pick Staney Jean-Bapitisse. Plus WR convert project George Farmer and some UDFAs who fit the length requirements namely DeAndre Elliots.

Browner and McEvoy were previously mentioned but udfa S Tyvis Powell could be the real gem. While hes listed at SS and is getting looks at CB, I would love for the Seahawks to allow him to compete at FS as I feel like he could be a smarter Ken Hamlin type player at the position.

So starters look strong and the Seahawks return alot of depth with experience and familarity.

However, the three biggest reasons the Seahawks D could be better than last year and perhaps run away with thier 5th consecutive scoring title.

1. Health. I dont have to rehash the state of the LOB during or after the SB where 5 of the top 6 DBs were playing injured or were injured out of the game. Then the 6th was lost to free agency in Maxwell. The unknown led to the signing of Cary Williams as a hedge. Kam likely felt his body had an expiration date and made the business decision to holdout to get more value out of what he felt like he put in. Thomas and Sherman played tenatively early on and all of it just through the L.O.B. out of whack in the first half of the season until Lane came back and Shead stepped up. L.O.B is healthy now and you could expect a return of consistently dominate form.

2. Focus. The 2015 off-season was the worst coming off the Harvin debacle, the SB loss, Lynch's extension charade, Irvins ill comments about Atlanta and then it manifested into the media frenzy of Frank Clark, the threatening of a holdout by Bennett, and then an actual holdout by Kam. Not to mentioned the previously mention DB injuries as well as the uncertainy of Brandon Mebane. I think it all just threw the focus out of whack and a lot of the guys werent as keyed in as they were in years past. The feeling is back to normal this year, no holdouts, no frenzied media attention, and the team looks to be in great health defensively to allow these guys get thier reps and gel together prior to the season rather than during the season.

The last reason is offensive versatility to be multiple within the scheme news guys like Prosise, Brooks, Vannett and old guys like Baldwin, Lockett, Richardson, Graham (eventually), and Willson to help prepare the defense better against those pesky zone beating offense looks that plagued the Seahawks the last two seasons. Specifically the shifty backfield recievers and TEs who kill the underneath zones and seams.

Largent80

Reaction score
I appreciate your effort and post PH.

Yes, this D could again be very special. Reed is going to be a force.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Good post.

First off, I'd agree with you with Shead. He's bounced positions a lot, and staying at CB should only help him. Plus, when you look at when he played, the Defense overall played a lot better and allowed a lot fewer points.

Starting out without Williams is addition by subtraction. Add to that we have a healthy Lane to start the year, and we're set in either the slot CB or RCB positions. If Shead loses his job to quality depth (Simon maybe), we're looking at a positional upgrade anyways.

We are also starting out better at SS with Chancellor back and not a distraction (yet). Add to that Browner, who can either back him up in clase of injury, or hopefully neutralize our biggest weakness which was TE matchups.

Our pass rush wasn't bad last year, and I think it gets better this year. We've got more dedicated 3 techs on the roster, and I think Clark will equal Irvin in production off the edge. We'll be at least as good against the run with Reed and Rubin, and it's possible that Reed will outperform Mebane.

Overall, we're starting out Lane or Shead instead of Williams, preserving continuity at Safety with Chancellor (and also keeping Thomas from having to cheat over to take up Williams' slack), call it a wash on the DL (although I like our depth better this year) and we've resigned all the guys that give us that killer mentality. I think the LOB is happier and more dominant with Browner back in the fold, and that will bleed through to the entire defense.

Laloosh

Reaction score
My head is spinning. We really do have a shot at seeing a 5th straight year of this. That's pretty crazy. There are teams with really good DL, LB, DB, etc. but they're just not as well rounded.

Good post PH. I am really looking forward to seeing how Kris Richard approaches 2016 as well.

Jville

Reaction score
Wow ..... outstanding review of the state of the defense. :th2thumbs: All in one convenient post.

I guess we can anticipate an expanded defensive scheme with new wrinkles.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
IMHO, the defense can win another scoring title, if and only if, the offensive line gels quickly. We need the running game and offensive line to hit the ground running so that we can limit the number of defensive possessions per game. Last year, we gave up the sixth fewest yards per drive and fourth fewest points per drive and still won the scoring title because we had 20 fewer defensive drives over the course of the regular season than any team ranked higher than us. We're one of the best defenses in the league, but the ground game helps us win these titles.

(Broncos were number 2 in scoring defense and averaged 0.07 fewer points per drive. However, Peyton Manning was a turnover machine giving them 29 (or 17.5%) more defensive drives.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
The scoring titles are great...but what I would really love to see is the defense get its intimidation and "swagger" back.

Our historic 2013 defense would not have had all those 4th quarter collapses last season. They played with ferocity and an attitude that I felt was missing last season, by and large.

We need to get back to punching people in the mouth.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":21okwe3t said:
I am really looking forward to seeing how Kris Richard approaches 2016 as well.

This could be a lot of the factor that defines how we do. Let's face it, some of the 1st half problems were of Rchard learning to be a Defensive Coordinator. Thankfully, he finished strong. I'm anxious to see how he does now as an 'experienced' coordinator.

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle made it to #1 by the skin of their teeth last season, but given all the drama and issues, it's a miracle that they were even in the running at all. There was the SB hangover, a Kam holdout, locker-room finger pointing, a new DC, and Cary Williams.

This year the overall talent level of the defense is probably a tad less when factoring the offseason losses and an offense-heavy draft, but on the flipside, all of the issues that sabotaged 2015 appear to be water under the bridge. So even with a hair less talent, I expect an improvement on the D. That said, it will need to be a big improvement because 17.3 points per game probably isn't going to lead the NFL next year.

I think this year we'll really find out how good of a DC Richard can be. He deserves a mulligan for last year.

A-Dog

Reaction score
I'm a bit worried about our depth at edge rusher. Clark can obviously help here, that seems to be the plan, but up until now it seems he's been more effective inside and at the 5T than as a Leo. We all know he's dropped some weight (presumably to add speed and quickness). Avril and Bennett are starting to get up there in years, and I don't think we can count on Clemens to make much of an impact.

Also, if Clark is going to shift more outside, that means one of Hill or Jefferson has to be effective rushing from inside on passing downs.

Our secondary has great talent and depth, we should continue to dominate against the run, and I'm not really worried too much about the SAM position, but if we can't get consistent pressure on passing downs that's going to be a problem, especially if Avril or Bennett get hurt, or if Clark struggles to get pressure from the edge.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Do we play a bunch of teams with crappy or backup qbs this year?

If so I say yes!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

kearly":1x249cjz said:
Seattle made it to #1 by the skin of their teeth last season, but given all the drama and issues, it's a miracle that they were even in the running at all. There was the SB hangover, a Kam holdout, locker-room finger pointing, a new DC, and Cary Williams.

This year the overall talent level of the defense is probably a tad less when factoring the offseason losses and an offense-heavy draft, but on the flipside, all of the issues that sabotaged 2015 appear to be water under the bridge. So even with a hair less talent, I expect an improvement on the D. That said, it will need to be a big improvement because 17.3 points per game probably isn't going to lead the NFL next year.

I think this year we'll really find out how good of a DC Richard can be. He deserves a mulligan for last year.

Cary Williams?

Kip? You are aware there is no swearing allowed in the main forum? :141847_bnono:

Hawks46

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1qilwcl1 said:
Do we play a bunch of teams with crappy or backup qbs this year?

If so I say yes!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

We have a much easier schedule than we did last year. It's impossible to predict backup QBs, but we don't face the murderers row of QBs that we did last year.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Great post! I think the development of Clark will be critical. I expect big things from him but we shall see. Guys like Simon, Reed, Browners role etc. can pick up what we lost and have the talent to do so.

I think IF the line is moderately better this will be the best Seahawks team we've seen. The run is just beginning.

two dog

Reaction score
Terrific post. thanks for all the work.

Training camp is going to be really interesting this year. Especially at safety with Browner
and the addition of Powell and McEvoy. Defensive line is also going to be fun to watch.
Do you remember Reeds response at the draft to a question about a message for the
Seattle fans? "Tell the 12's a player is coming". I believe him.

Running back competition will be deadly and we will emerge with a very strong group.
Not talked about a lot but Tre Madden is a pretty good two down back who maybe could be
fattened up to fullback.

This group of rookies excites me more than any group in the last 2-3 years.
We could get some really, really good players out of this bunch of rookies.

bighawk

Reaction score
I believe our run defense will be better than ever with Reed inside with Rubin my nickname for them is the RR crew. I also love bringing back Siliga he will be our healthy Jesse Williams. It all starts with stopping the run. Reed is an upgrade over Mebane.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Great read PH, it's posts like this that keeps me coming back here.
Nice breakdowns and thoughtful evals. :th2thumbs: