Deflategate basically over after today's press conf

Status
Not open for further replies.

253hawk

Reaction score
11.5 PSI is still below the league minimum. Barely cheating is still cheating.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
TBtoRG":1nen3l6g said:
Largefarva":1nen3l6g said:
TBtoRG":1nen3l6g said:
Be ready Seattle. You're going to be humiliated for the first time in 2 years. Game won't even be close.

You know who else said this same thing to us, but last year? Donkeys fans. And we all saw how that worked out for them.

Why would we care about Denver?

We destroyed them this year while you barely beat them in OT.

We barely lost to KC at Arrowhead while they dismembered you

Ohhh but let me guess, that Chiefs game doesn't count right.

vonstout

Reaction score
TBtoRG":2m1oax49 said:
TBtoRG":2m1oax49 said:
PFT: 10 of the 11 deflated balls were deflated "closer" to 1 PSI than 2

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... umor-mill/

Ooops!

C'mon Seasqueaks fans. No thoughts on this?

Read the article yourself. It states the footballs "may" have been closer to 1 psi low instead of 2. What response are you looking for? You act like we are the ones reporting it was 2 psi.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
TBtoRG":12t53a5p said:
hawknation2015":12t53a5p said:
If the source has direct knowledge of this, why would the source say "may have been" instead of saying the balls were closer to 11.5 PSI? When a rumor is phrased in this way, it sounds like pure conjecture.

Pure conjecture is what all of this has been based on. Yet you've had no problem believing claims that have put NE in a negative light.

All of the actual reporting I have read has said that 11 of the 12 balls were about 2 PSI below the league requirement.

Now Florio is the only one citing a source who says 10 of the balls "may have been" closer to 1 PSI below the league requirement. May have been is obviously the operative phrase with this rumor.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
TBtoRG":2alrycv4 said:
Largefarva":2alrycv4 said:
TBtoRG":2alrycv4 said:
Be ready Seattle. You're going to be humiliated for the first time in 2 years. Game won't even be close.

You know who else said this same thing to us, but last year? Donkeys fans. And we all saw how that worked out for them.

Why would we care about Denver?

We destroyed them this year while you barely beat them in OT.

The game the Pats played against them was a lot closer than the scoreboard would indicate. Also, over half of the Patriots scoring came in the 2nd quarter. It would be a mistake to think one great quarter is going to result in a win for the Pats in a week from today.

kearly

Reaction score
I am very curious to see how Goodell handles this, since he himself was busted over a scandal and lied to cover his ass just a few months ago. If he clears the Pats, it will go down about as well as the OJ verdict. But if he hammers them, it will make him kind of look like a hypocrite, since there's no smoking gun and because Goodell's alleged defense in the Ray Rice case was also based around a lack of a smoking gun.

furi0usbee

Reaction score
#### MY FINAL POST ON THIS MATTER ####

I've gone back and forth in this thread, and for the most part, Seahawks fans have legitimate issues with how the Patriots handled their footballs. But after the Belichick press conference yesterday, he essentially admitted what they did. I'm still hearing people on Patriots radio (Pats fans) still not even knowing what they are talking about, so I will state the exact defense the Patriots are using and you can be the judge of it.

This is NOT my explanation, this is paraphrased right from Belichicks press conference yesterday.

The "process" the Patriots use to prepare their game balls, and which lasts right up until the time they hand them over to NFL officials actually RAISES the PSI in the ball by approximately ONE pound. This is important.

The Patriots then instruct the ref, which may or may not abide by their instruction, to put the game ball at 12.5 PSI, the way the Patriots like it. He didn't say it, but because their process artificially raises the PSI by 1 pound, this would require the ref to actually DEFLATE the football by 1 PSI, so the gauge would now read 12.5 PSI. He didn't say it because that would be DECEPTIVE.

At this point, although the football reads 12.5 PSI, this is a measurement of the actual air pressure inside the football at that moment, and with the air still excited by the Patriots PROCESS of getting balls ready. Belichick said they did not heat them, but they must have REALLY rubbed them:) So at this point, the football is now at 12.5 PSI (temporarily).

Although the gauge says 12.5 PSI, if the excited air inside the football had time to acclimate to room temperature where the balls are tested, and the heat/energy of the Patriots "process" has dissipated, the air pressure would indeed fall to an equilibrium of 11.5 PSI. And this is 11.5 PSI INDOORS. This would depend on how quickly the refs inspected them from the time the Patriots finished their rubbing. I mean they could still be rubbing outside the door before they go in. Crazy though.

Now, when these balls enter the field of play, and after having been subjected to 50 degree weather for some duration, that 11.5 PSI is going to fall by even MORE. If the NFL says balls were 2 PSI under, that means the balls fell another .5 PSI, or basically what Belichick said happened in their tests. For what that's worth.

So as you can see, if this is what the Patriots did, aside from being deceptive and skirting the rules and you can call that cheating, which is fair, the Patriots would not have had to tamper with footballs post inspection, and by all accounts, there would have been NO TIME for tampering with the footballs. Belichick basically confessed to providing the NFL with balls that were deceptively HIGH in PSI.

I for one DO NOT think the Patriots should be allowed to do this. Although not violating the word of the rule, it certainly violates the spirit of the rule. If I were to make a ruling, and seeing as this had NO effect on the outcome of the game, which would have been a big issue for me, should they have won by 2 TDs or less, I couldn't do anything more than fine the organization, and fine Belichick. Brady would not be fined. Brady cannot overrule Belichick. And I would fine Belichick the same as I fined him last time $500k for lying when he said he didn't know what the "process" involved, and another $500k as a deterrent for further violations. That's a pretty detailed process, and at one time he must have at least asked what was going on. I would fine Patriots as an organization another $1M.

So did the Patriots TAMPER with footballs after the refs inspected them? NO NO NO. Any conversation or speculation on that is absurd, unless the NFL has some hard proof.

Did the Patriots deceive the refs? YES YES YES. And I am happy with any fines the NFL imposes on the Patriots. I DO NOT think there will be suspensions or draft picks taken away however. I'll bet there will be rule changes though.

So there, this REALLY is the last time I speak on this until the NFL says something and can back it up with evidence.

I want to stop writing about this, but I keep getting pulled back in. I need to stop listening to sports radio!

hawknation2015

Reaction score
furi0usbee":lu0yr5v0 said:
The "process" the Patriots use to prepare their game balls, and which lasts right up until the time they hand them over to NFL officials actually RAISES the PSI in the ball by approximately ONE pound. This is important.

It's also not physically possible . . . unless part of that process involves heating the air in the balls.

furi0usbee

Reaction score
hawknation2015":14phh5un said:
furi0usbee":14phh5un said:

It's also not physically possible . . . unless part of that process involves heating the air in the balls.

Well, that's not technically true. Rubbing produces heat. I doubt hands can rub hard/fast enough to produce that much heat, but they didn't say what they rubbed it with. A power tool certainly could produce enough force/speed to rub a surface hot. But I do think they used some heating instrument, as you'd rub all the "skin" off the ball for sure.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't buy Belichick's attempts. He's trying to be clever and talk his way out. The NFL won't buy it either, they have their own investigation going and did not ask for his scientific opinion.

I think the NFL will punish New England for sure, a fine and a mid-round draft pick at minimum. There is way too much suspicion to let them off the hook completely, especially given their past track record and Brady's disingenuous attempts to say he didn't know... when people on the street were given 10.5 PSI footballs and every single one of them could tell the difference instantly. Combine that with the fumble and vegas data since 2007 and there's no doubt cheating happened and has been happening for some time.

However, in the likely event that no witness will come forward or video evidence is supplied, the minimum punishment is probably what New England will get. That said, if I was a Pats fan I would be nervous as hell right now and definitely not in shit talking mode. There a dozens of cameras in that stadium and the NFL is combing through every one of them right now, and probably not just for this past game. If they find anything, there's a very real chance this could turn into a lengthy suspension for Brady and/or Belichick. I think this scenario is unlikely, but I'd still be scared shitless until I heard the NFL's ruling.

vonstout

Reaction score
furi0usbee":1kqcnrg4 said:

I've gone back and forth in this thread, and for the most part, Seahawks fans have legitimate issues with how the Patriots handled their footballs. But after the Belichick press conference yesterday, he essentially admitted what they did. I'm still hearing people on Patriots radio (Pats fans) still not even knowing what they are talking about, so I will state the exact defense the Patriots are using and you can be the judge of it.

This is NOT my explanation, this is paraphrased right from Belichicks press conference yesterday.

The Patriots then instruct the ref, which may or may not abide by their instruction, to put the game ball at 12.5 PSI, the way the Patriots like it. He didn't say it, but because their process artificially raises the PSI by 1 pound, this would require the ref to actually DEFLATE the football by 1 PSI, so the gauge would now read 12.5 PSI. He didn't say it because that would be DECEPTIVE.

At this point, although the football reads 12.5 PSI, this is a measurement of the actual air pressure inside the football at that moment, and with the air still excited by the Patriots PROCESS of getting balls ready. Belichick said they did not heat them, but they must have REALLY rubbed them:) So at this point, the football is now at 12.5 PSI (temporarily).

Although the gauge says 12.5 PSI, if the excited air inside the football had time to acclimate to room temperature where the balls are tested, and the heat/energy of the Patriots "process" has dissipated, the air pressure would indeed fall to an equilibrium of 11.5 PSI. And this is 11.5 PSI INDOORS. This would depend on how quickly the refs inspected them from the time the Patriots finished their rubbing. I mean they could still be rubbing outside the door before they go in. Crazy though.

Now, when these balls enter the field of play, and after having been subjected to 50 degree weather for some duration, that 11.5 PSI is going to fall by even MORE. If the NFL says balls were 2 PSI under, that means the balls fell another .5 PSI, or basically what Belichick said happened in their tests. For what that's worth.

So as you can see, if this is what the Patriots did, aside from being deceptive and skirting the rules and you can call that cheating, which is fair, the Patriots would not have had to tamper with footballs post inspection, and by all accounts, there would have been NO TIME for tampering with the footballs. Belichick basically confessed to providing the NFL with balls that were deceptively HIGH in PSI.

I for one DO NOT think the Patriots should be allowed to do this. Although not violating the word of the rule, it certainly violates the spirit of the rule. If I were to make a ruling, and seeing as this had NO effect on the outcome of the game, which would have been a big issue for me, should they have won by 2 TDs or less, I couldn't do anything more than fine the organization, and fine Belichick. Brady would not be fined. Brady cannot overrule Belichick. And I would fine Belichick the same as I fined him last time $500k for lying when he said he didn't know what the "process" involved, and another $500k as a deterrent for further violations. That's a pretty detailed process, and at one time he must have at least asked what was going on. I would fine Patriots as an organization another $1M.

So did the Patriots TAMPER with footballs after the refs inspected them? NO NO NO. Any conversation or speculation on that is absurd, unless the NFL has some hard proof.

Did the Patriots deceive the refs? YES YES YES. And I am happy with any fines the NFL imposes on the Patriots. I DO NOT think there will be suspensions or draft picks taken away however. I'll bet there will be rule changes though.

So there, this REALLY is the last time I speak on this until the NFL says something and can back it up with evidence.

I want to stop writing about this, but I keep getting pulled back in. I need to stop listening to sports radio!

Very well written, and I agree with you that this is plausible. However, I think the NFL will want to see their "process" and ask them why they did it right before inspection. In my opinion, it is clear they did it to get lower pressure, and the fumble stats seem to show they've been doing it for a long time. If that is the case, I think they will get hit hard.

Chawks1

Reaction score
pats(t)roll":2rqfvalx said:
** I rebuff your attempt to change the subject. I am speaking directly to Belichick's claim that they raised the air pressure in all of their footballs by a factor of one solely by rubbing them. I don't believe this claim to be physically possible and am curious to see whether you know of a scientist who believes this to be physically possible. **

It's not "solely by rubbing them". Belichick said that, in their experiments, the entire pregame process the balls go through of being broken in and brought to the correct feel caused an increase in psi. So I am waiting for someone else to run similar experiments and refute this.

go ahead and ignore that the footballs Indy had weren't effected.

But Noone explains how the 12th ball wasn't exposed to this science. Or the 6 kickers balls. Or the 12 backup balls the Pats have to supply as the home team (which were the ones used in the second half). Common sense people. The league MUST suspect something because they hired an investigator that nailed the Dolphins franchise for their indiscretions.

kearly

Reaction score
furi0usbee":2ehivudl said:
Well, that's not technically true. Rubbing produces heat. I doubt hands can rub hard/fast enough to produce that much heat, but they didn't say what they rubbed it with. A power tool certainly could produce enough force/speed to rub a surface hot. But I do think they used some heating instrument, as you'd rub all the "skin" off the ball for sure.

That is a stretch and you know it. Even if it was true, it wouldn't explain why this phenomena is unique to New England. Every team breaks in their footballs.

I love the original heated air theory. It is so devious. So Belichickian.

I have nothing but respect for Belichick and think Brady is a kick ass QB with an admirable fire for the game. I actually kind of admire the Karl Rove quality to Belichick, I genuinely admire someone who will do anything to win. And I love that Brady will drop an F bomb when he's pissed without a second thought. Dude's the perfect QB for me.

But I think it's pretty damn obvious they are going the Nixon route on this thing. And that's been kind of grating, especially if they somehow get away with it, which they won't.

pats(t)roll

Reaction score
furi0usbee":2zerred4 said:

Fair points. I don't mean to try to drag you back into this but I just want to point out, if we take BB at his word (I know none of you will do that), then the staff had no knowledge that, while they were trying to create the right feel on the surface of the ball, they were simultaneously affecting the pressure inside the ball. So they did not intend for any deflation of the ball that resulted from this.

furi0usbee

Reaction score
Believe me, I'm MORE critical of Patriots fans trying to explain this away on weather and telling me it's no big deal.

This is another example of Belichick being cute with the rules, doing things to skirt the rules, and when he said yesterday they err on the side of caution, well that's an outright lie. Lying is not against the NFL rulebook, which is good for BB. This is a guy who is super-competive, and he's going to do everything to bend the rules, and sometimes break the rules. I do not condone that. It's stupid really, with the talent they have.

Trying to be as objective as possible, I think Belichick 100% tried to deceive the refs, from everything he said yesterday. Did he break the rule? Well, if you believe him, technically no, as the refs could have gauged 12.5 PSI. But there was plenty of deception here.

And if the NFL can prove TAMPERING with footballs. That raises this to a whole other level and suspensions are then in order. But none of us can speak to that until the NFL says what it knows. But since Patriots came out HARD this week, they have to know the NFL probably has nothing much, and I doubt even if the NFL has actual PSI numbers prior to the game.

Oh and the fumble thing, that's very interesting, but remember Stevan Ridley? That guy got benched for..... fumbling. He would presumably have been using the same "doctored" balls everyone else wasn't fumbling with. And also, fumbling is one thing, recovering fumbles is another. Patriots have been pretty good at recovering their fumbles as well. So while that stat seems amazing, Ridley surely was using over-inflated footballs it seems.

======== NFL RULE ========

Rule 2 The Ball

Section 1

BALL DIMENSIONS

The Ball must be a “Wilson,” hand selected, bearing the signature of the Commissioner of the League, Roger Goodell.

The ball shall be made up of an inflated (12 1/2 to 13 1/2 pounds) urethane bladder enclosed in a pebble grained, leather case (natural tan color) without corrugations of any kind. It shall have the form of a prolate spheroid and the size and weight shall be: long axis, 11 to 11 1/4 inches; long circumference, 28 to 28 1/2 inches; short circumference, 21 to 21 1/4 inches; weight, 14 to 15 ounces.

The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications. A pump is to be furnished by the home club, and the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game.

Section 2

BALL SUPPLY

Each team will make 12 primary balls available for testing by the Referee two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of the game to meet League requirements. The home team will also make 12 backup balls available for testing in all stadiums. In addition, the visitors, at their discretion, may bring 12 backup balls to be tested by the Referee for games held in outdoor stadiums. For all games, eight new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer to the Referee, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of the game. These balls are to be specially marked by the Referee and used exclusively for the kicking game.

In the event a home team ball does not conform to specifications, or its supply is exhausted, the Referee shall secure a proper ball from the visitors and, failing that, use the best available ball. Any such circumstances must be reported to the Commissioner.

In case of rain or a wet, muddy, or slippery field, a playable ball shall be used at the request of the offensive team’s center. The Game Clock shall not stop for such action (unless undue delay occurs).

Note: It is the responsibility of the home team to furnish playable balls at all times by attendants from either side of the playing field.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
pats(t)roll":15sgexsj said:
furi0usbee":15sgexsj said:

Fair points. I don't mean to try to drag you back into this but I just want to point out, if we take BB at his word (I know none of you will do that), then the staff had no knowledge that, while they were trying to create the right feel on the surface of the ball, they were simultaneously affecting the pressure inside the ball. So they did not intend for any deflation of the ball that resulted from this.

Your missing the point.

Did they inflate the balls to 12,5 psi and then prep them? If that's the case then the balls would have tested at 13.5 psi based on BB's explanation. So then how did they get from 13.5 psi all the way down to 10 or 11?

In other words they new the balls would increase in PSI and then decrease with temperature. They likely set them around 11 psi and then prepped them before being tested. Being artificially inflated they then passed the inspection and then deflated with the temperature change.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
pats(t)roll":1i1o0uju said:
if we take BB at his word (I know none of you will do that), then the staff had no knowledge that, while they were trying to create the right feel on the surface of the ball, they were simultaneously affecting the pressure inside the ball. So they did not intend for any deflation of the ball that resulted from this.

Knowledge and intent are interesting concepts. Have you ever heard of an ostrich instruction? It's a legal term that refers to someone who buries his head in the sand, ignoring the consequences of his actions. It is also referred to as being "willfully blind," and it's considered the equivalent of having knowledge or intent.

If we are to take Belichick's statement at face value that their prepping process temporarily increases the air pressure of their balls prior to inspection, it would seem that the team was acting in a way that was willfully blind to this fact. Tom Brady, who is on record as preferring "deflated balls," was also willfully blind to softness of the balls.

Of course, the NFL rule itself does not actually require a team's knowledge or intent. The league has already said that the Patriots' balls were not in compliance with the rule. They could therefore hold them strictly liable, even if they don't uncover any further evidence of knowledge or intent.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pump to be furnished by home club/ Those have pressure gauges in them right? Those pressure gauges are calibrated, you mess with the calibration you can skew the readings, I am sure that it is a simple screw adjustment or some type as well, so furnish a pump with a skewed pressure gauge and it looks legit, until you use another gauge.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
chris98251":2cw9bt93 said:
Pump to be furnished by home club/ Those have pressure gauges in them right? Those pressure gauges are calibrated, you mess with the calibration you can skew the readings, I am sure that it is a simple screw adjustment or some type as well, so furnish a pump with a skewed pressure gauge and it looks legit, until you use another gauge.

I caught that too. Things that make you go HMMM..

furi0usbee

Reaction score
RichNhansom":30zs8kjq said:
Your missing the point.

Did they inflate the balls to 12,5 psi and then prep them? If that's the case then the balls would have tested at 13.5 psi based on BB's explanation. So then how did they get from 13.5 psi all the way down to 10 or 11?

Yes, Patriots inflated the ball to 12.5 PSI at room temperature. Then whatever they did raised the pressure to 13.5 PSI. No new air was added, just the air molecules were excited by the heat from the "process." So although there is enough air at room temperature to provide 12.5 PSI, the excited air reads 13.5 PSI. The ref sees 13.5 PSI, Patriots say then want 12.5 PSI, so ref removes enough air to deflate 1 PSI. But since at room temperate the ball was always going to be 12.5 PSI (less the process), the actual equilibrium of the ball at room temperature will now be 11.5 PSI, thanks to the ref removing 1 PSI, and thanks to BB's process of adding 1 PSI due to exciting the air molecules.

So they are essentially taking an 11.5 PSI ball into 50 degree weather. Any measurement after that will measure BELOW 11.5 PSI.

Status
Not open for further replies.