Denver defense - Overhyped

Polaris

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1uajc66t said:
Nickel":1uajc66t said:
Polaris":1uajc66t said:
Nickel":1uajc66t said:
The Broncos have the best run D in the league this year, .....

No they don't. The Cardinals had the best run defense and I think your Niners were up there in the top five.

If you go by DVOA, then it's even less true. Denver's Run defense is adequate and that's about it.

Edit PS: Also don't forget that Denver got up big on some teams forcing teams to abandon the run. This artificially inflates the Denver run defense using conventional stats (but not DVOA which is one big reason I trust DVOA over conventional stats).

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... 447263-n=1

There's their standing in the NFL as far as rushing defense goes. You are absolutely right that stats get inflated by the fact many teams are playing from behind and thus abandoning the run.

You need to understand how the interwebs work better. That's the stats for postseason only. Hooray for small sample size.

Not just small sample sizes but skewed sample sizes as well. Look at the regular season stats and the DVOA for the entire season and we'll talk.

IMHO you are now cherry picking data.

Nickel

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1r5pcfx4 said:
Nickel":1r5pcfx4 said:
The Broncos have the best run D in the league this year, and they've got one of the best QBs to ever play the game.

The first part of this sentence is not true in any way.

The Broncos run D was not the best in terms of yards. It was tied for 7th with... the Seahawks.

The Broncos run D gave up 15 TDs this year. That was 9th WORST in the league. The Seahawks run D - in comparison - gave up 4 rushing TDs, tied for best in the league.

You did get the 2nd part of the sentence right, at least.

If you go by YPG, they're #1 in the league. If you go by YPC, they're #3 in the league. If you go by carries, they defended the least amount of attempts since teams are playing from behind. It's just like I said earlier, which leads to "shootouts."

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Nickel":2addcjw4 said:
volsunghawk":2addcjw4 said:
Nickel":2addcjw4 said:
The Broncos have the best run D in the league this year, and they've got one of the best QBs to ever play the game.

The Broncos run D was not the best in terms of yards. It was tied for 7th with... the Seahawks.

The Broncos run D gave up 15 TDs this year. That was 9th WORST in the league. The Seahawks run D - in comparison - gave up 4 rushing TDs, tied for best in the league.

If you go by YPG, they're #1 in the league. If you go by YPC, they're #3 in the league. If you go by carries, they defended the least amount of attempts since teams are playing from behind. It's just like I said earlier, which leads to "shootouts."

Do I wait for you to catch up, or do I give you the actual link to this entire season? Tough call.

I think I'll let you twist in your ignorance a bit more.

Polaris

Reaction score
Nickel":1vnyhwbs said:
volsunghawk":1vnyhwbs said:
Nickel":1vnyhwbs said:

This is wrong. You are looking at the post-season numbers only that not only have a small sample size but a skewed one. By raw NFL stats, Seattle and Denver both have the #7 defense vs the Rush.

If you go by advanced metrics (which are far superior), Seattle's Rush defense is far better than Denver's (because Seattle has faced far better rushing teams.....like San Fran for one). Say what you want, but this is sounding more and more like trying to find reasons for Denver to win by a bitter Niner fan. You can deny it, but that's what I'm seeing.

Largent80

Reaction score
I'll take our tuneup for the playoffs and superbowl over any other team. We had to play the whos who of defenses all Decenber and January., losing only once. Denvers defense is going to be a welcome mat.

Nickel

Reaction score
Polaris":l4y10pqa said:
Not just small sample sizes but skewed sample sizes as well. Look at the regular season stats and the DVOA for the entire season and we'll talk.

Okay, so you'd prefer to look at performance against non-playoff teams in non-recent games? Hmm alrighty.

When you consider the regular season only, the Broncos run D is tied with the Hawks (totally awesome D, everyone agrees) in defending YPG.

Both of these teams are also tied at #7 for defending YPC as well.

Total rushing attempts against the Broncos? 420. Total against the Seahawks? 422.

Looks pretty similar if you ask me.

OP
OP
marko358

marko358

Reaction score
Largent80":1p1r25pz said:
I'll take our tuneup for the playoffs and superbowl over any other team. We had to play the whos who of defenses all Decenber and January., losing only once. Denvers defense is going to be a welcome mat.

^This

Plus they have some key injuries on defense and lack the speed we've seen on opposing defenses these last two months.

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
Nickel":2itlrs1p said:
Polaris":2itlrs1p said:

Okay, so you'd prefer to look at performance against non-playoff teams in non-recent games? Hmm alrighty.

When you consider the regular season only, the Broncos run D is tied with the Hawks (totally awesome D, everyone agrees) in defending YPG.

Total rushing attempts against the Broncos? 420. Total against the Seahawks? 422.

Dude are you seriously gonna compare the Broncos defense to Seattle's?? STFU. Lol.

OP
OP
marko358

marko358

Reaction score
Hawkalypse":2spjau15 said:
Nickel":2spjau15 said:
Polaris":2spjau15 said:

Dude are you seriously gonna compare the Broncos defense to Seattle's?? STFU. Lol.

They're very similar defenses. Sure they gave up 399 points this year to our 231, but that's misleading. lol

Nickel

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2y7honj7 said:
Do I wait for you to catch up, or do I give you the actual link to this entire season? Tough call.

There's no need to be rude because you lack an argument.

Going by scoring is ignorant because it doesn't take "garbage time" into account. Most football fans understand "garbage time" in that most teams who score 37 PPG on average don't feel the need to break their necks in preventing some 4th quarter "garbage time" scoring.

For example, the lowly Raiders scored 14 points in the 4th quarter against Denver in week 17 AFTER Denver had scored 31 points. "Garbage time."

Polaris

Reaction score
Nickel":3uwquxls said:
Polaris":3uwquxls said:

They only look similiar. In the first place Denver jumped out to big leads over a number of teams. That's not the way (as you well know) Seattle plays. As a result those teams were forced to stop running the ball in order to 'catch up' and that artificially inflates your raw Run Defense number.

Not only that, but who has Denver faced? AFC West+NFC East+AFC South+Baltimore (which quickly fell behind the first game of the season)+Patriots

Who in that entire group has a good power running game? Maybe Philly but Denver got Philly before philly got their run game really on track (and IIRC that was a trackmeet game), and KC twice (and both those games were shootouts and KC was a very limited team).

Now look at Seattle. Seattle had to face San Fran twice, the Rams twice. Even the Cardinals at least try to run it. Then Seattle had to face the NFC South, and the Panthers can definately pound the rock. Then Seattle had to face Minnesota and the Giants. Minnesota is a lousy team, but it's got a great run game.

Fortunately these considerations can be accounted for in advanced stats like Rushing Defense DVOA and Seattle is much better in Rushing Defense than Denver. It's not as strong as Seattle's passing defense, true, but if Denver wants to run the ball all the time, Denver will lose because that takes away plays from Denver's most dangerous and dynmatic offensive weapon: Peyton Manning.

By contrast, Seattle is perfectly happy to ramrod the ball down your throat with the run if you let them.

Nickel

Reaction score
marko358":1suixj6a said:
They're very similar defenses. Sure they gave up 399 points this year to our 231, but that's misleading. lol

See above on "Garbage Time." I'm shocked more Seattle fans aren't aware of this, I guess you guys have a lot of new fans.

OP
OP
marko358

marko358

Reaction score
Nickel":2win18ry said:
marko358":2win18ry said:

See above on "Garbage Time." I'm shocked more Seattle fans aren't aware of this, I guess you guys have a lot of new fans.

I have a feeling you'd be crapping all over Denver's defense if it were the Niners representing instead of Seattle.

hawker84

Reaction score
Nickel":39zj8gy1 said:
Foghawk":39zj8gy1 said:
Whoa :177692:

Denver's defense is:

1. Soft in the gap
2. Slow out on the edge
3. Mediocre in the secondary, at best.

But again, can Seattle score every time Denver scores? They're going to score, the question is can Seattle keep up? I could be TOTALLY wrong here, but I could see Wilson being forced into a shootout with Manning which could be tough, considering receivers, experience, etc.

Edit: Typo

Apparently you didn't see him bring this team back against ATL last year, or go toe to toe with Brady last year, or in CHI. RW is more than capable of putting this team on his back, especially against a soft defense that rated #27 against the pass this season.

Polaris

Reaction score
Nickel":3ekjbeu6 said:
marko358":3ekjbeu6 said:

Garbage time is almost impossible to quantify though. I also point out that "garbage time" destroys your run game argument because teams trying to catch up in garbage time almost never run it (at least not seriously).

hawker84

Reaction score
Nickel":3ptp4o9d said:
volsunghawk":3ptp4o9d said:
Nickel":3ptp4o9d said:

would you be even remotely scared of Denvers defense if it was SF facing them next Sunday?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Nickel":ppctzt39 said:
volsunghawk":ppctzt39 said:

There's no need to be rude because you lack an argument.

Going by scoring is ignorant because it doesn't take "garbage time" into account. Most football fans understand "garbage time" in that most teams who score 37 PPG on average don't feel the need to break their necks in preventing some 4th quarter "garbage time" scoring.

For example, the lowly Raiders scored 14 points in the 4th quarter against Denver in week 17 AFTER Denver had scored 31 points. "Garbage time."

There was reason to be rude because you clearly weren't understanding that 2 games does not a season make. Or perhaps you absolutely understood that, but to acknowledge it would invalidate your assertions about Denver's run D.

You know what almost NEVER shows up in 4th quarter garbage time? Rushing yards and TDs. So the 15 rushing TDs given up by Denver's defense - again, 9th worst in the league this year - is pretty damn significant.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Nickel":10a43dpq said:
Polaris":10a43dpq said:

This is why you don't look at meaningless stats like YPG. Per DVOA, the Denver rushing defense is 9th and Seattle's run D is 8th. So both have good run defenses. However, Denvers pass defense is 21st while Seattle's is not only #1, but the best in history.

Wilson is going to have a pretty good day passing all over the weakest pass defense they've faced since Minnesota and Atlanta, teams in which Wilson put up good numbers, even when Lynch was held to 54 yds rushing. Both those games were blowouts.

Denver, otoh, hasn't faced a decent pass defense all season long. All this talk about can Seattle score every time Denver scores is stupid. The question is, can Denver score enough at all. Seattle will be scoring against that porous secondary. Denver will be struggling against that Seattle defense.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Polaris":2bjoisdl said:
Nickel":2bjoisdl said:
marko358":2bjoisdl said:

Garbage time is almost impossible to quantify though. I also point out that "garbage time" destroys your run game argument because teams trying to catch up in garbage time almost never run it (at least not seriously).

Ding ding ding ding!

Nickel

Reaction score
marko358":iilx4cjm said:
Nickel":iilx4cjm said:
marko358":iilx4cjm said:

I have a feeling you'd be crapping all over Denver's defense if it were the Niners representing instead of Seattle.

I already answered the question "How would you feel if the Niners were playing Denver?" on this very page.

Actually READING the thread can be conducive to a good discussion.