Denver defense - Overhyped

Nickel

Reaction score
Polaris":21av2klg said:
Nickel":21av2klg said:
marko358":21av2klg said:
They're very similar defenses. Sure they gave up 399 points this year to our 231, but that's misleading. lol

See above on "Garbage Time." I'm shocked more Seattle fans aren't aware of this, I guess you guys have a lot of new fans.

Garbage time is almost impossible to quantify though. I also point out that "garbage time" destroys your run game argument because teams trying to catch up in garbage time almost never run it (at least not seriously).

I really dislike discussions where we cover the same stuff over and over again simply because people have nothing new to say.

We already covered the fact that teams playing catch up with a team that averages 37.9 PPG aren't likely to run much, but I also pointed out the fact that Denver defended 420 rushing attempts while Seattle defended 422.

Scoring aside, YPG and YPC are nearly identical for both teams. That's why they're tied for 7th place in both categories.

Polaris

Reaction score
Nickel":30q7lldf said:
Polaris":30q7lldf said:
Nickel":30q7lldf said:
marko358":30q7lldf said:
They're very similar defenses. Sure they gave up 399 points this year to our 231, but that's misleading. lol

See above on "Garbage Time." I'm shocked more Seattle fans aren't aware of this, I guess you guys have a lot of new fans.

Garbage time is almost impossible to quantify though. I also point out that "garbage time" destroys your run game argument because teams trying to catch up in garbage time almost never run it (at least not seriously).

I really dislike discussions where we cover the same stuff over and over again simply because people have nothing new to say.

We already covered the fact that teams playing catch up with a team that averages 37.9 PPG aren't likely to run much, but I also pointed out the fact that Denver defended 420 rushing attempts while Seattle defended 422.

Scoring aside, YPG and YPC are nearly identical for both teams. That's why they're tied for 7th place in both categories.

Geez. Those are COMPLETLY misleading numbers. Now how about telling the rest of the story. How many total plays were defended?

Come on. This is bad. You are completely distorting the data, and frankly I don't believe your denials. I think you are doing this deliberately.

Breaker

Reaction score
CortezKennedyfan":wyo6l3n9 said:
villain71":wyo6l3n9 said:
I said beastmode cannot be stop at HOME but in the road he sucks. The superbowl is not hometeam for you guys. If anything its hometown for Denver. And don't let the wind fool you. Manning will score a lot of touchdowns against your Seahawks.

How you gonna stop Manning?? Seriously?? I don't think I've read any real solution from any seahawks here. All you guys do is insult and talk crap but do not back up with real solutions. So how you gonna stop Manning huh?? How you gonna stop our receivers? Your LOD will get destroyed.

How is Wilson gonna score against our playoffs D? Expect 10 sacks. Your QB panics the moment the wind touches him so imagine our scary D which is BETTER in the playoffs than your Seahawks. Stats prove it.. look it up if you are in denial.

Well, since you love stats...there's this:

Russell Wilson: 52% completion pct on passes 15+ yards downfield in 2013, best in NFL...

Broncos allowed 42% comp pct on those throws (16th)

And you think Marshawn sucks on the road????

Here are his yards in road games this season:

Game 1: 43 (vs #2 Run defence at Carolina in Week 1)
Game 2: 98
Game 3: 102
Game 4: 91
Game 5: 23 (8 Carries) -Seahawks worst game of the season vs the Rams. 3 Starters were injured on O-Line.
Game 6: 145
Game 7: 72 (vs. San Francisco #4 Run defense in the NFL)
Game 8: 47 (had 73 yard receiving and 6 catches)-120 all purpose yards

I see 4 great games, 1 good traditional Marshawn Lynch games, and 1 good game where he was used differently and still had 120 all purpose yards.

He averages 77.6 yards per game on the road. That would be a top ten NFL average, and would be higher than Frank Gore, Chris Johnson, Knowshon Moreno, etc.

621 yards rushing in 8 games. This would translate to a 1,242 yard season. That would be the 7th best in the NFL and only 30 yards less than his actual average.

So I don't see where you get off saying he "sucks" on the road.

He played about 3-4 of those games without either/or his starting full back, his starting center, his starting left tackle, his starting right tackle, 2 different left guards, and 2 different right guards.

Seahawk fans, the Kings of cherry picking stats to try and prove their points. Why don't you go ahead and list the teams and defensive ranks of those "really good games" since you seem to have no problem listing the ranks of the 49ers, etc? Ok since I know you are intellectually dishonest about it, I will do it for you.

Game 2: 98 (vs # 23 Houston)
Game 3: 102 (vs #26 Indy)
Game 4: 91 (vs #1 Arizona)
Game 5: 23 ( vs #9 St. Louis)
Game 6: 145 ( vs #31 Atlanta)
Game 8: 47 ( vs #14 NYG)

The only time that he had a game over 50 yds against a top 10 defensive run game were against Arizona and SF. All of his 100 + games came against teams in the bottom 7 against the run. In fact looking at the numbers we will see that he rushed for a total of 621 yds on the road. An astounding 335 yds (54%) came in the three games ( averaging 111 yds p game ) against teams ranked 23rd or worse in rush defense for the season. He then posted a total of 70 yds (11 %) ( 35 yds per game) against teams in the middle third of the league in rushing allowed. He got 216 yds (33%) (72 yds per game) of his yards against teams in the upper third. So we can clearly see that according to stats, actual total stats not the cherry picked ones that you Seahawk fans seem to thrive on, he account for 54% of his road rushing yards against teams ranked in the bottom 1/3 ish of the league which is a massive number.

I also think it is laughable that you try and make excuses for him with injuries. The Broncos played the entire season with a 3rd string center, our 2nd string left tackle for 11 games and our left guard for 1, yet somehow we destroyed every single offensive record in existence.

Polaris

Reaction score
Breaker,

Did you miss the 109 yards that Lynch just got againt the Niner defense this last week? Did you miss the 140 yards against New Orleans the week before?

You also should evaluate againt the Run Defense DVOA when they were faced. Houston had a much better defense (and team in general) at the start of the season (when Seattle faced them) then at the end (as one example). Likewise Indy was a much stouter team in September vs December.

You can accuse Seahawk fans of cherry picking all you like, but indepenant statistical analysis backs our points up. See Football Outsiders for just one example (and football outsiders is neutral).

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
Breaker":1umefjwf said:
CortezKennedyfan":1umefjwf said:
villain71":1umefjwf said:
I said beastmode cannot be stop at HOME but in the road he sucks. The superbowl is not hometeam for you guys. If anything its hometown for Denver. And don't let the wind fool you. Manning will score a lot of touchdowns against your Seahawks.

How you gonna stop Manning?? Seriously?? I don't think I've read any real solution from any seahawks here. All you guys do is insult and talk crap but do not back up with real solutions. So how you gonna stop Manning huh?? How you gonna stop our receivers? Your LOD will get destroyed.

How is Wilson gonna score against our playoffs D? Expect 10 sacks. Your QB panics the moment the wind touches him so imagine our scary D which is BETTER in the playoffs than your Seahawks. Stats prove it.. look it up if you are in denial.
I thought I smelled vinegar, 49rs lackey on cue.

Russell Wilson: 52% completion pct on passes 15+ yards downfield in 2013, best in NFL...

Game 5: 23 (8 Carries) -Seahawks worst game of the season vs the Rams. 3 Starters were injured on O-Line.

I see 4 great games, 1 good traditional Marshawn Lynch games, and 1 good game where he was used differently and still had 120 all purpose yards.

He averages 77.6 yards per game on the road. That would be a top ten NFL average, and would be higher than Frank Gore, Chris Johnson, Knowshon Moreno, etc.

621 yards rushing in 8 games. This would translate to a 1,242 yard season. That would be the 7th best in the NFL and only 30 yards less than his actual average.

He played about 3-4 of those games without either/or his starting full back, his starting center, his starting left tackle, his starting right tackle, 2 different left guards, and 2 different right guards.

Seahawk fans, the Kings of cherry picking stats to try and prove their points. Why don't you go ahead and list the teams and defensive ranks of those "really good games" since you seem to have no problem listing the ranks of the 49ers, etc? Ok since I know you are intellectually dishonest about it, I will do it for you.

The only time that he had a game over 50 yds against a top 10 defensive run game were against Arizona and SF. All of his 100 + games came against teams in the bottom 7 against the run. In fact looking at the numbers we will see that he rushed for a total of 621 yds on the road. An astounding 335 yds (54%) came in the three games ( averaging 111 yds p game ) against teams ranked 23rd or worse in rush defense for the season. He then posted a total of 70 yds (11 %) ( 35 yds per game) against teams in the middle third of the league in rushing allowed. He got 216 yds (33%) (72 yds per game) of his yards against teams in the upper third. So we can clearly see that according to stats, actual total stats not the cherry picked ones that you Seahawk fans seem to thrive on, he account for 54% of his road rushing yards against teams ranked in the bottom 1/3 ish of the league which is a massive number.

I also think it is laughable that you try and make excuses for him with injuries. The Broncos played the entire season with a 3rd string center, our 2nd string left tackle for 11 games and our left guard for 1, yet somehow we destroyed every single offensive record in existence.
I thought I smelled vinegar, embittered 49rs lackey on cue.

CortezKennedyfan

Reaction score
Breaker":3kl3kha1 said:
CortezKennedyfan":3kl3kha1 said:
villain71":3kl3kha1 said:

Ok, so you admit that his road games included the top 3 defenses against the run...and thus your assessment that Marshawn Lynch "sucks" on the road comes down to 2 bad games, one in which he had 120 all purpose yards with 6 catches.

In other words, you are the wrongest person in the history of wrong.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
<sigh>

It's not about stats. It is about match ups. Seattle can IMO handle the receivers 1 on 1. Thomas will be on maxwell that is very good. He will have ET3 helping on the top and Kam below if needed.

I think they know it and will do pick plays and crossing routes

A good idea? Going against a very physical team ( much bigger dudes as well ) is nuts. Really? Try to pick Kam ? Sherman ? Good luck.

That will lead to turnovers due to a top pass rush and shut down coverage.

The Seattle offense can not be handled IMO 1-1 with harvin. This will leave the others 1-1 which in bad weather gives them a fair matchup.

It will not matter ; Seattle will run , eat the clock up and get turnovers.

Defense beats a good offense every time and turnovers rule field position as well; they prevent scoring and lead to the other teaming scoring often.

They have done it all year.

Breaker

Reaction score
CortezKennedyfan":kok9pxdp said:
Denver faced 2 top 10 defenses all year (HOU, NYG).

Seahawks faced 8 (CAR, NOLA, NYG, HOU, SF 2x, AZ 2x).

/Endthread

Denver faced 4 top 10 offenses
Seattle faced 1

You point?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Silly Niner fans,

Talking about garbage time?

Just compare Tarvaris Jackson to Osweiler...

edited by radish for language attacking a poster.

Breaker

Reaction score
CortezKennedyfan":3h5203a4 said:
Breaker":3h5203a4 said:
CortezKennedyfan":3h5203a4 said:
villain71":3h5203a4 said:

Ok, so you admit that his road games included the top 3 defenses against the run...and thus your assessment that Marshawn Lynch "sucks" on the road comes down to 2 bad games, one in which he had 120 all purpose yards with 6 catches.

In other words, you are the wrongest person in the history of wrong.

My assessment also says that he gained over half his yards in three games against horrible run defenses, which the original poster failed to mention. Also guess what, all purpose yards and NOT rushing yards, which was the entire point of the post. Including all purpose yards for one game out of eight is like comparing apples to oranges, they aren't relevant. I am pointing out the hypocrisy of the original posters analysis, by omitting the fact that the big games came against bad run defenses he was trying to show that Lynch is somehow beyond compare on the road. If he had been accurate in his analysis, he would have mentioned that since he clearly had time to make excuses for why he had his bad games.

Polaris

Reaction score
Breaker":3hdu9dnf said:
CortezKennedyfan":3hdu9dnf said:
Denver faced 2 top 10 defenses all year (HOU, NYG).

Seahawks faced 8 (CAR, NOLA, NYG, HOU, SF 2x, AZ 2x).

/Endthread

Denver faced 4 top 10 offenses
Seattle faced 1

You point?

Actually going by end-season final DVOA (which is a far superior measure than simple NFL yardage stats), Seattle is the #7 offense in the league and has faced the following top ten offenses:

New Orleans (twice) #5
San Fran (three times) #8
Carolina #10

That's because you have to measure offenses against defenses facing them. By contrast Denver has faced (offenses):

Philly #2
San Diego (three times) #3
New England (twice) #4

Now let's turn it around. How man top ten defenses has Denver faced by the same measure? [Denver's defense by this measure is #15]

New York Giants #6
Baltimore #7
KC #9

By contrast Seattle's defense is a resounding #1 (in fact the difference between Seattle and #2 Arizona is almost as much as the Arizona to the 0% replacement value!). Seattle's offense has faced the following top ten defenses:

Arizona (twice) #2
Carolina #3
New York Giants #6 (and we shut them out at their place)
Tampa Bay #8
New Orleans #10 (twice)

One might almost ask when Seattle has NOT faced a top ten offense.

Sorry but Seattle is far more battle tested than Denver. That's not hype. It's just the truth.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-r ... oa-ratings

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
The point is defenses win championships. We're going to possess the ball and not give it back. See NO vs. Seattle, twice this year. Manning in the cold, vs the best defense in the NFL is not a good recipe. Seattle's going to line up tight on the line, beat up your WR, and that's gonna give Avril-Clem-Bennett time to get to Manning. Our D line is gonna bump the golden boy every time he releases the ball. We start by strangling the RB, take Moreno away from you. Then our LB's take away those screen passes and swing passes because we have the speed to close all that down. Wheel routes by the RB vanish too. By the second quarter Manning's gonna be all wigged out, yelling at his guys and the refs, it'll be sweet. Tune in. Oh, and make sure to show up next week and remind us how awesome that offense is.

BroncoFanForLife

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't describe our D as "over-rated." We've gotten plenty of criticism this season for having a pretty porous secondary. Our safeties are pretty poor. Ihenacho struggles in pass coverage and Mike Adams is a backup whose best years are behind him. We've put up solid numbers against the run for about 75% of the season, but I know that Marshawn Lynch is going to be a very different animal.

We do give up lots of "garbage yardage." I've been pretty pleased with the level of play by our D in the playoffs since we're missing Chris Harris, Von Miller, Derek Wolfe & Kevin Vickerson. The backups have come in and done a suprisingly decent job. Doesn't hurt to play both playoff games at home either ;)

You guys should be able to put up 20ish points on us at least. In all honesty, I'm looking forward to a good game.

Polaris

Reaction score
BroncoFanForLife":35g40mhg said:
Personally, I wouldn't describe our D as "over-rated." We've gotten plenty of criticism this season for having a pretty porous secondary. Our safeties are pretty poor. Ihenacho struggles in pass coverage and Mike Adams is a backup whose best years are behind him. We've put up solid numbers against the run for about 75% of the season, but I know that Marshawn Lynch is going to be a very different animal.

We do give up lots of "garbage yardage." I've been pretty pleased with the level of play by our D in the playoffs since we're missing Chris Harris, Von Miller, Derek Wolfe & Kevin Vickerson. The backups have come in and done a suprisingly decent job. Doesn't hurt to play both playoff games at home either ;)

You guys should be able to put up 20ish points on us at least. In all honesty, I'm looking forward to a good game.

A reasonable post! I think a lot of the 'pro-Denver' posts this week aren't coming from Bronco fans but embittered Niner fans.

In the spirit of a reasonable post, I agree that Manning will get his. No defense (not even ours) is 'perfect'. The question will be how many points will he be able to score. Given that Seattle will score in the twenties, will Denver be able to score enough to win.

I have my doubts but that's why they play the game.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Polaris":3btgbi8n said:
BroncoFanForLife":3btgbi8n said:

A reasonable post! I think a lot of the 'pro-Denver' posts this week aren't coming from Bronco fans but embittered Niner fans.

In the spirit of a reasonable post, I agree that Manning will get his. No defense (not even ours) is 'perfect'. The question will be how many points will he be able to score. Given that Seattle will score in the twenties, will Denver be able to score enough to win.

I have my doubts but that's why they play the game.

Indeed... they do it all the time and now they have another team to troll with. My NinaTroll sensors are going bat shit crazy. It is the reason for my lack of contribution. Most Niner fans would never water down their posts with mundane facts or logic, no way. They reach for the extremes and don't think twice about it.

No point in arguing the ridiculous.

Breaker

Reaction score
Polaris":30o0dyfk said:
Breaker,

Did you miss the 109 yards that Lynch just got againt the Niner defense this last week? Did you miss the 140 yards against New Orleans the week before?

You also should evaluate againt the Run Defense DVOA when they were faced. Houston had a much better defense (and team in general) at the start of the season (when Seattle faced them) then at the end (as one example). Likewise Indy was a much stouter team in September vs December.

You can accuse Seahawk fans of cherry picking all you like, but indepenant statistical analysis backs our points up. See Football Outsiders for just one example (and football outsiders is neutral).

Polaris,

I don't see independent statistical anaylsis in Seahawk fans posts, I see straight homerism. How bout I drop some actual statistics on you from your PRECIOUS football outsiders.

Lets look at the team defense DVOA for all of those games and I will use a good metric to prevent an argument. First column with be Team DVOA Defense.

Game 1: Carolina 43 (#6)
Game 2: Hou 98 yds (#18)
Game 3: Indy 102 (#17)
Game 4: ARI 91 ( #1)
Game 5: STL 23 (#12)
Game 6: ATL 145 ( #29)
Game 7: San Fran 72 (#13)
Game 8: Giants 47 ( #3)

Average Team Defense DVOA against the run is #12 for these games. The numbers are even more in my favor after doing this.

Lynch had 621 total yards

276 vs DVOA top 16 teams (43% of total representing 5 games)
345 vs DVOA bottom 16 (57% of total representing 3 games)

So by your own metrics Lynch had 57% of his road rushing stats against sub-par DVOA Team Defenses, which is actually a greater percentage than the 54% of my original post. Now speaking to the original post that I was responding too, I used the exact same metrics that he used, which were actually team defense vs run and pass metrics, which I didn’t feel like pointing out to the dumbass, but you seem to be a smarter individual so I will go by your statistical measures.

Now speaking to your other point about having to do it when you play them. I would agree, if you can find week by week DVOA stats and show me I am wrong, I will admit to it.

But here is the stat that is absolutely priceless, it is going to make you cringe when you realize hear this. On FOB they have a ranking in the team defense category called SCHED, which according to FOB “SCHEDULE represents the average offensive DVOA of all opponents, with teams ranked from hardest schedule to easiest schedule” Guess where Seattle falls on that list … 31st. That’s right the vaunted Seattle defense faced teams with offenses over the course of 16 games that gave their defense the 2nd easiest DVOA schedule in the league. Denver wasn’t much better at #24, but still better. I have been of the opinion that Seattle D could be overrated for a long time. You faced 8 backup QBS, faced only one of the top 10 QB’s Statistically. Other gems I investigated about you vaunted defense.

44 Team Sacks

5 (11%) against top 11 pass protection DVOA offensive lines
17 (39%) against middle 11 pass protection DVOA offensive lines
22 (50%) against bottom 10 pass protection DVOA offensive lines

Denver stats on this:

41 Sacks (despite losing Von Miller for more than half the year)

15 (37%) against top 11 pass protection DVOA offensive lines
14 (34% )against middle 11 pass protection DVOA offensive lines
12 (29%) against bottom 10 pass protection DVOA offensive lines

Yea, that’s right, 50% of your sacks for the year came against teams ranked 22 or below in offensive pass protection DVOA, you fed of bottom feeders and didn't even average 2 sacks a game against top 11 teams. You want to know where Denver is ranked, #1 pass protection DVOA offensive line. I find it laughable that Seattle fans just assume that they will get pressure on Manning like it is a forgone conclusion, that Denver has no chance to stop you. Denver led the league in plays per game, we run a no huddle faster than the vaunted Eagles offense. Seattle fans love to talk about their rotation, but tell me this? How are you going to rotate if you can’t get off the field? That leaves tired, huge Dline men going up against the best DVOA pass protecting line and Manning sitting back there all day. No secondary on earth can hold up consistently under those conditions for more than 4-5 seconds.

I am not usually the type to talk trash, except to Pats fans cause I hate them. I actually like the Seahawks and I LOVE Russell Wilson, and hate Kaepernick. If my BRONCOS … yea not a 49ers fan at all, have to lose to a team in the NFC, I would rather it be the Seahawks than anyone else, you do have the coolest uniforms in the league btw. However, I cannot abide by the sheer arrogance of a majority of Seahawk fans that I see on this board. I realize that your franchise hasn’t “been there” very often so you don’t really know how to be optimistic without coming across as arrogant jackasses, especially when actually stats call into question your assertion that you have the best defense in the league, as shown earlier.

All that said, I expect a close game and would not be surprised if the Seahawks win, I don’t think they will, however I do expect it close. I believe the game will come down to 4 things.

1. Seattle Defense getting pressure on Manning: As proven in this post, it WILL be harder than you think. If you don’t get pressure it wont matter how good your secondary is and our no huddle is brutal.
2. Containing Wilson – I think we can do an adequate job of bottling up Lynch, as long as we don’t let Wilson extend the play to much by scrambling. Outside of Harvin I am not worried about any of your receivers.
3. Avoid turnovers – our biggest problem all year has been the insane turnovers, if the Seahawks don’t get at least one, I don’t believe that have any chance
4. Harvin - Don't let Harvin beat us ... I am worried that Harvin is too good for any of our corners. However, if for some reason Wilson force feeds the ball to him, it could get problematic for the Hawks.

aulaza

Reaction score
WOW!! A lot of rubbish being spoken in this thread I'm afraid!!

As a Denver fan, may I offer an opinion on our defense?

All year I was saying that our defense was being underrated, now, I wouldn't say that. But that's only because what people have been saying has changed. In the regular season, everyone was saying that our defense was awful, now people are saying its amazing!! I think the truth lies somewhere in between. (Also our numbers have improved recently)

First off, we have been killed by injuries this year. Vickerson and Wolfe are key run defenders for us. Von Miller is by far our best pass rusher, and when healthy is an elite player. Chris Harris is a very underrated corner, in the conversation for best slot corner in the league. Rahim Moore is unfairly judged on one play - he is a good safety (by far our best) and his loss has also hit us hard. Not to mention the fact that Champ hasn't been healthy all year, and we lost DRC for a while there too. If we were fully healthy on defense, I believe we would have a top 10 unit. People forget that we had the #2 defense last year. Injuries have crippled us.

If you watch our games, you notice something else of note. Whenever we go into zone coverage we get shredded and whenever we go into our prevent defense (typically zone) we get shredded. Our constant use of these tactics, especially late in games when leading, have killed our pass D statistics. Take the AFCCG. We shut them down for 3 quarters, then went into zone coverage and prevent defense and what happens?? Brady produces 2 TD drives. The reasons for this? I think Del Rio and Fox are scared of getting beat deep. We are far better in man to man, but sometimes we give up a big deep throw (courtesy of poor safety play). I don't think our staff have trusted our defense all year, but maybe now they are starting to.

In terms of the SB, I think SEA off v DEN def will be quite even. If Wolfe and Vickerson were playing, I would have no problem saying we would do a good job against Lynch. Without them, I am unsure of how that matchup will play out, as our current front hasn't really played a team that runs as well as Seattle. In general though, our front are much better run stoppers than pass rushers. I see us getting pretty much zero pressure on Wilson. We will likely spy him (as we have done against most mobile QBs), so I think it may come down to whether or not he beats us from the pocket. As for our secondary, I actually give our corners a slight edge in this game, but our safeties are a problem. I definitely see a big deep throw or two available for Wilson in this game. He has to make sure he takes the opportunity unlike Brady!

AVL

Reaction score
This time of year everything is over-hyped. I know I am.

Crash123go

Reaction score
I think anyone who thinks Denver's defense is overhyped A. Doesn't know much about football and B. Has watched ZERO games of Denver's defense, especially the last 5.