Did I just witness.......

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
By far the biggest win of the season imo. Beat a good team, who hadn't lost at home, in their own house. They dared us to throw the ball, and we got it done.

Leee-roy

Reaction score
It was one of those games where we were outmanned in the trenches, got pushed up and down the field , and somehow came out with a win. Always feels kinda weird and guilty along with joy.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Trrrroy":1xf4e5c7 said:
My only complaint is Schotty's insistence on forcing the run when it wasn't working and the panther's DB's were giving up chunk play after chunk play. Of course I also complained when they abanded the run against the Broncos and Bears. Maybe I'm just never happy.

The Panthers DB's were giving up chunk plays in part BECAUSE they were selling out to stop the run.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
bigskydoc":qjuaw59w said:
Sure looked to me like they had an air attack planned for the inevitable failure of the running game against one of the stoutest run defenses in the NFL. They smoothly shifted gears to that part of the game plan. They didn’t stubbornly stick to the run. That was the obvious game plan, to anyone who has watched Carolina this year. Show some early commitment to the run then go play action.

I thought they tried too hard to get Penny involved. He’s not physical enough yet to square off against a Carolina. I wouldn’t have bothered giving him any carries in this game. Predictably, Carolina shut him down. Thankfully, we didn’t force the issue.

All in all a great offensive game plan. I give it an A minus.

I thought it was great offensive adjustments but I'm pretty sure the game plan was ground and pound until it wasn't and they adjusted. So offensive game plan A was a C- and plan B was an A.

I also thought the edge might have been more attackable in the run game but clearly the coaches didn't as I don't think we saw any run attempts outside the tackles. For some reason, running into the teeth of that linebacking crew was thought to be a better strategy.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2s3cvvw8 said:
Trrrroy":2s3cvvw8 said:
My only complaint is Schotty's insistence on forcing the run when it wasn't working and the panther's DB's were giving up chunk play after chunk play. Of course I also complained when they abanded the run against the Broncos and Bears. Maybe I'm just never happy.

The Panthers DB's were giving up chunk plays in part BECAUSE they were selling out to stop the run.

That's what I mean. It's a small gripe, but the way the Panthers where commiting to stop the run - and succeeding - I felt like this offense wasn't taking advantage of the opportunities it presented through the air as well as they could have.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pmedic920":2qfq9y7e said:
A Seahawk game that actually had an obvious “game plan”?.

Not sure what you mean, every game has a game plan going in.

Do you mean the game plan was accurate and worked? I think yes on the offensive side, but I was not crazy with the defensive scheme of yesterday's game..............at all.

I get that we're limited and thin on defensive talent right now, especially in the defensive backfield and D-line. But I hate when we just sit back, play the same zone over and over and allow these good QB's to pick us apart, especially underneath.

Red Zone D was fantastic, so it worked out. But I was going insane watching Cam just continually check it down and run shallow crosses with McCafferey who get's 10-15 YAC every single time.

I'd like to see us be more aggressive and disguise coverage, rather than just hold on for dear life getting torched with big chunk plays over and over.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":lqu7lsrj said:
pmedic920":lqu7lsrj said:
A Seahawk game that actually had an obvious “game plan”?.

Not sure what you mean, every game has a game plan going in.

Do you mean the game plan was accurate and worked? I think yes on the offensive side, but I was not crazy with the defensive scheme of yesterday's game..............at all.

I get that we're limited and thin on defensive talent right now, especially in the defensive backfield and D-line. But I hate when we just sit back, play the same zone over and over and allow these good QB's to pick us apart, especially underneath.

Red Zone D was fantastic, so it worked out. But I was going insane watching Cam just continually check it down and run shallow crosses with McCafferey who get's 10-15 YAC every single time.

I'd like to see us be more aggressive and disguise coverage, rather than just hold on for dear life getting torched with big chunk plays over and over.

It's maddening but it seems to work. We never get blown out. We were probably a few fumble recoveries away from blowing them out. So until Pete sees his scheme fail, he's probably going to stick with it. It definitely allows guys to play freely and attack the ball. We forced 5 fumbles.

So expect to be frustrated until Pete retires. This scheme ain't going anywhere soon I suspect.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1854wxt6 said:
So expect to be frustrated until Pete retires. This scheme ain't going anywhere soon I suspect.

It works when Russell's near perfect like he was yesterday. But it doesn't work when Russell and the offense is less then perfect, like he was in the Denver, Chicago, both Ram's games and Chargers game making key mistakes.

I understand, it's how Pete wants the defense scheme, rush four drop the SS down and hope the D-line can get home as to not have to blitz and commit more into the box to prevent big plays.

The bend but not break defense is not new, a lot of teams run similar schemes.

So I'm not asking for a wholesale defensive scheme change, I'd just like us mix it up more, disguise coverages and even blitz when we're getting gashed up and down the field. Because good QB's and coordinators know how to beat our simple cover two and cover 3 schemes...........as we've seen all year.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":oaldczap said:
Or have someone spy the RB at some point this century when the RB is wide open over and over again.

Pathetic. And it continued to happen right up to the end...all alone and nobody was shadowing him still. :roll:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2y48w4gg said:
Or have someone spy the RB at some point this century when the RB is wide open over and over again.

Yep, was saying that too.

Give Norv Turner credit, he's done a great job with the weapons the Panthers have on offense, especially unlocking all of McCaffrey's potential and ability.

But still pisses me off to see us in the same base defenses over and over and not trying to change it up to try and slow down these offenses.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They had a brilliant play call on one where Cam went to his left, and the entire Hawks D followed. He then flips it to a guy in motion who has a wide open field on the opposite side. That was impressive. What wasn't impressive was that guys were not staying in their gaps imo. The way the D wasn't adjusting reminded me exactly of the Rams games and the Chargers games. RB's wide open on screen passes etc.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":13cweiv6 said:
Trrrroy":13cweiv6 said:

And this shows the growth in the team, early in the season they could not respond to a defense like that.

kf3339

Reaction score
It really was an impressive win. Hats off to the team and coaches! :irishdrinkers:

OceanPanther

Reaction score
Palmegranite":1qgqpqus said:
soje":1qgqpqus said:
Mad Dog":1qgqpqus said:
Looking at this thread I feel like I watched a completely different game.
Then imagine how one must feel if they were a Panthers fan.

Sighhhhhhhhhhhh.. It's a blue Monday for sure on the Carolina Coast.

I thought we played well on offense ,, but as I alluded to in another post, we have big problems on defense, getting off the field. Credit the Seahawks for that too.

I'd love to play you again,, ( the reason being, is not so " we'll show you" lol ) but if we did play, it'd mean we made the playoffs for some unknown reason,, and that maybe our defense would have been better between now and then.. Sighhhhhhhhh,, not going to happen,, but as a NFL fan, we all hold eternal hope, and " stranger things have happened " lol.

soje

Reaction score
If I was a Panthers fan I’d feel like I lost a game that I should have won. The Panthers had all the chances to end the game in their last drive, but poor clock management and play choices gave us the ball back with plenty of time and a TO left. The missed FG was the cherry on top.

As a Seahawks fan, it is one of those games that playoff teams win. We were outgained, outcoached, and still pulled a win due to the individual talent of our players.

OceanPanther":3carydy9 said:
Palmegranite":3carydy9 said:
soje":3carydy9 said:
Mad Dog":3carydy9 said:
Looking at this thread I feel like I watched a completely different game.
Then imagine how one must feel if they were a Panthers fan.

Sighhhhhhhhhhhh.. It's a blue Monday for sure on the Carolina Coast.

I thought we played well on offense ,, but as I alluded to in another post, we have big problems on defense, getting off the field. Credit the Seahawks for that too.

I'd love to play you again,, ( the reason being, is not so " we'll show you" lol ) but if we did play, it'd mean we made the playoffs for some unknown reason,, and that maybe our defense would have been better between now and then.. Sighhhhhhhhh,, not going to happen,, but as a NFL fan, we all hold eternal hope, and " stranger things have happened " lol.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm expecting the Panthers to split with the Saints and run the table otherwise. How DID you guys lose to the Lions? Carolina at 10-6, may still pick up a Wildcard.

Followthelegion

Reaction score
olyfan63":1fz61pf0 said:
I'm expecting the Panthers to split with the Saints and run the table otherwise. How DID you guys lose to the Lions? Carolina at 10-6, may still pick up a Wildcard.

You think the Saints have HFA sewn up by week 17 then? Its not implausible that the Rams and Saints both go 15-1 this year. Just on a different level.

I can't see this Carolina team slowing down New Orleans on either field with that secondary...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The Hawks were not outcoached in this game. Far from it. The games that we have lost, absolutely that was the case in the 4th quarter. Not on Sunday. Rivera was horrible.

Latest posts