Did we expose too much to the Chargers?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Yes, we exposed ourselves far too much to the Chargers. We win games on talent and not on fancy packages, and we definitely showcased our talent to San Diego. Well, the talent that played, that is...

This game was like the preview of a Michael Bay-esque arse-whooping the Chargers will be attending later on in the season.

gargantual

Reaction score
Mick063":dkm1bq2y said:
I had to laugh at the Charger's forums.

"Our 2-3's verse their 1's."

Hell, Cam Chancellor, Marshawn Lynch, Bobby Wagner, Malcom Smith, Michael Bennett, Russell Okung, and Max Unger did not play a single down. Four pro bowlers and a Super bowl MVP and that isn't counting Bennett or Wagner. They didn't get a true glimpse of our "1's".

"Seattle revealed their game plan"

Cripes. Prior to the Super Bowl, Manning didn't have much to study because Seattle doesn't use much trickery. What you see on film is what your are going to get. Seattle beats you with speed and physicality. It is why Carroll initially defined Lynch as the face of the franchise. Every team they face knows what they are going to do. What opponents see in preseason is what they will see in the regular season and what they will see in the post season. No gimmicks. This team is "Vanilla" year round. Just a crazy fast, sure tackling defense, a bruising running back, and a quarterback that extends plays. Simple really. Line up and beat us.

Great post. I like the concept of us always being vanilla. It fits really well.

Great thread, awesome conversation from all participants. Even some comedy peppered in (unintentionally I'm sure) from the "Wheaties" guy.

Sarlacc83":dkm1bq2y said:
Definitely a Chargers fan.

Which is weird, because I thought they didn't exist.

This really makes me chuckle. Back in 1985 I went to a game at Jack Murphy Stadium. It was interesting to watch the stadium empty out early as it became clear that the Seahawks would win. Actually it was far from full (a lot of empty seats) from the very start of the game. No one can match the intensity of our fans, but the contrast in San Diego was pretty major.

It'll be interesting to see if that's the way they still roll come Sept 14th.

Anthony!

Reaction score
We did not show them our whole playbook by far,. there were very few stretch plays, very few crossing routes, just to name a few. WE might have showed 1/3 of our play book, that is all.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think we showed them just enough to make them have to stay up late at night, some moving around of Harvin, a blitz or two to have to take time to account for. What they didn't show was the second and third or 4th options of formations that come game day will end up confusing them a bit since they have this film they used.

Jac

Reaction score
I never understood this narrative about staying "vanilla" in preseason in order to "not show your cards". Particularly for returning regimes. I mean there's 19 unique game films from last year alone that will all be a lot more revealing than anything that happens in preseason. Further, that secrecy advantage largely goes out the window after week one anyway. Now, I understand staying vanilla so that you can evaluate your players based on pure physical talent instead of scheme. What's the point of scheming to beat your opponent's vanilla look. I probably don't understand because I've heard this narrative every preseason across the NFL for the past 30 years, so there must be something to it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Polk738":1dy4710l said:
So I was bored and hopped on a Chargers forum to see what the other fan base had to say about the game, it seemed to be several pages of the same things, defense is bad, can't tackle, kellen clemmons is much improved. A few people noted that we played our starters the entire first half and exposed a lot of our offensive and defensive stunts. Not sure if this is true but it does make for interesting conversation. What do you guys think, did Pete Carroll show too much of his hand to Mike McCoy?

You can look at from two different angles. Yes, we did expose a lot of our playbook, in particular, we involved Harvin a lot, lined him up all over the field. Plus Russell ran a lot more than starting quarterbacks usually run in the 2nd preseason game. Defensive coordinators around the league will have some good film to study.

But on the other hand, they have a lot more to worry about now than they did prior to the game. They have to account for Percy Harvin at all times, and seeing him lining up in so many places is going to cause DC's to spend a lot of sleepless nights trying to devise a way to stop him. The long pass play to Miller was a direct result of the safety having to help as Harvin had beaten press coverage and the safety came over to help, leaving Miller wide open down the middle.

I'm not worried about over exposing our playbook. There's a lot more pages in it than we showed Thursday night. I'm more worried about our OL holding up and Percy Harvin staying healthy than I am anything else.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
It seems like some of the greatest coaches in history never believed in hiding anything from their opponents. This is what we're going to do, you know it's coming, stop it if you can.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
fenderbender123":268xzj9g said:
It seems like some of the greatest coaches in history never believed in hiding anything from their opponents. This is what we're going to do, you know it's coming, stop it if you can.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong.

chrispy

Reaction score
I think I remember (was it the post game presser), after the first game, Pete said they didn't gameplan at all for the Broncos. There were too many players that just got the playbook and everyone is focused on learning the plays, not the Broncos. It would surprise me if they approach this game much differently. I'm sure the Chargers saw some plays that they'll see in the regular season. That's significantly different than understanding where the Seahawks see their weaknesses v our strengths and where they'll attack during the reg season. Friday was just about seeing players play. Our FO always tries to play those players in situations that maximize their strengths. Much of those strengths will remain the same in the regular season. Saying a collection of individual plays revealed a larger strategy/gameplan is silly, in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

If what was exposed was at all indicative of the key to our offense, we're in deep doo doo.

What we saw was a mere sliver of what is to come. Unlike a detective, who can take a tiny shred of evidence and find the killer, NFL football is an entirely different animal.

All a shred of the playbook will give opposing coaches in the NFL is a tackle for loss, here and there, it's all the other downs we score on that they will have to worry about.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
How many Marshawn runs?

How many play action passes?

No, they really didn't show much.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
The only thing we exposed was the threat of having Harvin playing. Let the defensive coach game plan for Harvin only to get destroy by Marshawn, Wilson and our WR/TE, this will be fun.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
It's not like anything we did was much of a secret to begin with, I'm not worried about anything. Games are won with execution anyway, not which team has more tricks up their sleeves

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I really do not think the Hawks even care if you know what they are going to do. I think the Superb Owl showed that we can "Just do it". We will line up and go mano y mono.

The Hawks just think they are better than everyone else and out to beat you down to prove it. "What Next" will become "Who's Next" . I think this team is all about being fundamental and friggen the best at it.

There is nothing scarier than a team that does not have to fool you to beat you down, then throw a little trick here and there just to make you think about it.

dbsn2420

Reaction score
The bolts saw a fraction of what they're going to see in week 2; honestly, it's not going to matter anyway!

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seattle scored 4 TDs on QB runs. San Diego is going to be so afraid of the bootleg it's gonna make it easier for Lynch & Co. on the runs up the middle.

sutz

Reaction score
Clueless....while Russ Wilson played most of the first half, our WR "starters" didn't. I think they were just checking out how the timing between Russ and the back half of the WR depth was going to look. Usually, those guys don't get a chance to play with the starting QB.

IMHO, Carroll was looking very close at our WR/TE corps to see who's going to stick, and playing with our backup QBs would be less of an indicator. We have some tough choices to make past WR#4 this season, and that game was a serious look at them.

Other than that, who knows and more importantly, who cares? Anybody who thinks last week's game was some kind of a SB re-match is delusional. I'm pretty sure none of the coaches or players really gave a crap about that stuff. That 're-match' will be later. ;)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nah, the Hawks are just a much better team, period. And although that road game will be a good challenge, they will knock them around again. 27-16, something like that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete and his staff have never been about hiding anything, just look at the SB tape.

We don't care if you know what we're trying to do, cause we're bigger, faster and stronger than you..............so here you go, try to stop us.

Latest posts