Did we expose too much to the Chargers?

Tokadub

Reaction score
I don't think we exposed to much against the Chargers because their defense is awful. They were ranked 29th last season in Pass defense. They also struggled mightily against our run game, so if they are incapable to defend against the pass due to their terrible personnel, AND they can't defend against our running game?

The Chargers really have no chance to beat us, I actually feel sorry for them because I think their chances to make the playoffs are so slim and their whole team and community knows this.

I agree we are a pretty "vanilla" team based on what we saw last year. I expect more of the same on Defense but I'm hoping we can break out of our "vanilla" mode a little more on offense this year so we can easily repeat for a Super Bowl. I really think we are that good if our O-Line looks anything like they did last week and Harvin stays healthy.

I honestly think Bevell's whole offensive game plan last year revolved around Harvin and when we didn't have him all his plays were super predictable and conservative. I think with Harvin on the field we will see a little more flare on a regular basis and it'd be fine if we go back to Vanilla against a terrible d like the chargers.

I'm more concerned of other teams like the Cardinals, the Rams, and to a lesser extent the 49ers. At the end of last Season I believed the 49ers were doomed to decline no matter what, Kaep has peaked, and I didn't think they could maintain their 2013 level even before all their recent injuries. Now they are just a broken disappointment for all the 49er fans and I'm happy to see it...

But anyways I think the 49ers, Rams, and Cardinals would be able to make better use than the Chargers with any of our film since their defenses are somewhat capable. I think the Rams might actually be the scariest against us on defense, followed by Cardinals, and 49ers. I think all those teams will have 6-9 wins and Seahawks dominate the NFC West AND win the NFC for another home field advantage all the way to Super Bowl.

olyfan63

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1epmmi0x said:
fenderbender123":1epmmi0x said:
It seems like some of the greatest coaches in history never believed in hiding anything from their opponents. This is what we're going to do, you know it's coming, stop it if you can.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
You're wrong.

You're wrong.
John Wooden was all about trickery and deceit with his UCLA Bruin basketball teams. UCLA opponents were never sure whether they'd get the UCLA High Post Offense or the UCLA High Post Offense. And that's not even mentioning whether they got the UCLA 2-2-1 zone press or the UCLA 2-2-1 zone press.

And Pete Carroll has admitted he never studied John Wooden's coaching career; after all, that was basketball and this is football.
</sarcasm>

As we all know, Pete Carroll talks a lot, about borrowing coaching ideas and approaches from John Wooden.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
olyfan63":65li05o7 said:
John Wooden was all about trickery and deceit with his UCLA Bruin basketball teams. UCLA opponents were never sure whether they'd get the UCLA High Post Offense or the UCLA High Post Offense. And that's not even mentioning whether they got the UCLA 2-2-1 zone press or the UCLA 2-2-1 zone press.

And Pete Carroll has admitted he never studied John Wooden's coaching career; after all, that was basketball and this is football.
That made me laugh.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
olyfan63":hxnt7srv said:
CurryStopstheRuns":hxnt7srv said:
fenderbender123":hxnt7srv said:
It seems like some of the greatest coaches in history never believed in hiding anything from their opponents. This is what we're going to do, you know it's coming, stop it if you can.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
You're wrong.

You're wrong.

</sarcasm>

As we all know, Pete Carroll talks a lot, about borrowing coaching ideas and approaches from John Wooden.

Then why has Pete said literally dozens of times that he doesn't care if the other team knows what we're doing, he's confident that we're going to execute better then they are?

Carroll's coaching style for the past 20 years hasn't changed..........."my athletes are bigger, faster, stronger and better prepared than your athletes."

The SB is a perfect example, the Hawks played 90% of the game in base defenses and other than some Harvin wrinkles on offense, nothing new on offense either.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think the OP mistyped his Subject. It should have been "Did we Expose the Chargers?" to which the answer is an emphatic "Yes."

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2vixu8nn said:
Pete and his staff have never been about hiding anything, just look at the SB tape.

We don't care if you know what we're trying to do, cause we're bigger, faster and stronger than you..............so here you go, try to stop us.

That basically sums it up.

Charger fans are grasping at any idea to explain how that game went. "We game planned" is apparently the conclusion they landed on. Who cares.

GoHawks

Reaction score
Polk738":2o2o1zrr said:
So I was bored and hopped on a Chargers forum to see what the other fan base had to say about the game, it seemed to be several pages of the same things, defense is bad, can't tackle, kellen clemmons is much improved. A few people noted that we played our starters the entire first half and exposed a lot of our offensive and defensive stunts. Not sure if this is true but it does make for interesting conversation. What do you guys think, did Pete Carroll show too much of his hand to Mike McCoy?

It should be worth considering that what was shown could be by design, so that when we face them again in Wk2, we intentionally give them a look of a similar play from preseason to get them to react in one direction or way when in fact the variation of the play is going in the opposite direction, or the play appears to be a run but will be a pass or visa-versa.

NINEster

Reaction score
There is precedent for a preseason game exposing film to be used in the postseason (and exploiting it):

Saints vs. 49ers 2011 season.

Saints brought a ton of blitzes in Harbaugh's first preseason game, and they were all available come playoff time. Greg Roman mentioned using that film.

Last time the 49ers played a preseason opponent in the regular season, they lost the second matchup - 2012 against Vikings. I don't think that loss had anything to do with film -- more just underestimating the Vikings -- but its worth noting the 49ers dominated the Vikings in that preseason game with like 250+ rushing yards with the guys mostly not named Gore and Hunter.

This year with the NFC West playing the AFC West for real and not just preseason, it does stand to bear that these sort of things will be taken into account by both squads.

And when the 49ers play the Ravens next year, I have a feeling HarbCamp 2.0 might have to be postponed.

Hawks46

Reaction score
WheatHawk":35thdxqw said:
Polk738":35thdxqw said:
... did Pete Carroll show too much of his hand to Mike McCoy?

Yes.

Last night was a case study in overcompensation. Coach, his staff, the players, and too many fans took getting beat by Denver last week way too seriously. It's Preseason week 2, not the Super Bowl. The starters should have been pulled after the 2nd series. Instead, Carroll risked injuries playing them against almost entirely scrubs playing for practice and to secure roster spots. Not smart.

Coach McCoy is an extremely smart guy. He treated last night like what it was: a scrimmage. Anyone who thinks he won't take advantage of all that tape handed to him is fooling themselves.

I would agree to you that I don't like that much exposure to injury for starters in the 2nd preseason game.

JAC said it best: there is more than enough real game film on us to study to not worry about preseason game film about what tendencies our 3rd RB or 5 th and 6th WRs when running routes.

A lot of that was just simply exploiting mismatches. On the long Miller reception, Harvin was 2 yards behind his guy, 7 yards into the route. That's called instant separation. Wilson looked the FS over to roll the coverage and Miller got wide open. In that case there's nothing the FS can do: if he rolls coverage the TE beats you, if he stays with the TE, Harvin gets the TD.

Film study can't help that unless they go 2 high Safeties, then you beat them with Lynch or something underneath. Sure, it might stop a big play, but it doesn't stop us.