Did we get worse?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
If you go on sports talk radio in the city you just left for another team, do you say, "Hey, I wanted more money, so I'm leaving. Peace!" or do you find reasons/excuses to leave?

"Well, they cut Big Red/Clemons, so it goes both ways" is one of those reasons/excuses that is very handy for anyone who is leaving for the cash. As we've seen here, people don't care about or respect it if you just say, "Hey, this is my big chance to get a huge contract, and I had to take it."

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
Apparently "winning" the first 48 hours of the offseason is better than Super Bowl Titles to some posters.

DrDix

Reaction score
Don't understand how people can say we didn't get worse even though we have lost a lot of strong players through FA. Clearly have gotten worse.

Still very good though.

Big Red, Tate, McDonald; all key contributors.

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
DrDix":3lh6bakm said:
Don't understand how people can say we didn't get worse even though we have lost a lot of strong players through FA. Clearly have gotten worse.

Still very good though.

How can you say we have gotten worse when the 2014 season hasn't even started yet?

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
OffseasonChampions":1bc46yyg said:
DrDix":1bc46yyg said:

Still very good though.

How can you say we have gotten worse when the 2014 season hasn't even started yet?

Because we've lost several valuable players from our championship team, haven't replaced them yet, AND the 2014 season hasn't started yet!! Why is this basic question about where we stand as a team RIGHT NOW so difficult for so may folks to comprehend? :34853_doh:

Could we potentially be 'better' than we were last year BEFORE the 2014 starts? Yes! On paper at least... There is still lots of time left, and moves still to be made in this off-season, and a draft to conduct, but as of right now, this very moment, with the players we've lost vs. gained so far, as of today, we are a worse team than we were at the end of the 2013 season. Saying we're worse RIGHT NOW is an extremely logical and pragmatic assessment at-this-very-instant-in-time. :thfight7:

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":3qpiiiyu said:
OffseasonChampions":3qpiiiyu said:
DrDix":3qpiiiyu said:

Still very good though.

Because we've lost several valuable players from our championship team, haven't replaced them yet, AND the 2014 season hasn't started yet!! Why is this basic question about where we stand as a team RIGHT NOW so difficult for so may folks to comprehend? :34853_doh:

Could we potentially be 'better' than we were last year BEFORE the 2014 starts? Yes! There is still lots of time left, and moves still to be made in this off-season, and a draft to conduct, but as of right now, this very moment, with the players we've lost vs. gained so far, as of today, we are a worse team than we were at the end of the 2013 season. Saying we're worse RIGHT NOW is an extremely logical and pragmatic assessment at-this-very-instant-in-time. :thfight7:
Unless we are starting our regular season right now, there is no way to prove you are right. There is no way to say that Scruggs couldn't come in and outperform McDonald or Bryant on the D-Line or Lockette couldn't do better than Tate with a lot more targets.

Kakaww

Reaction score
We lost some depth in the secondary most likely with Browner and WTIII on the hunt. Our receiver group is actually stronger than last season now with a healthy Percy, though we need another body or two there. OL needs a little work. DL may be fine with our younger guys stepping in.

Hawks are all good! A good draft and a few pointed FA signings and they will be as strong as ever.

suppaball

Reaction score
Smellyman":10vs6ts8 said:
right now......yes
And we are still better than 98.5% of the NFL so I have no reservations about what has transpired thus far in FA.

plyka

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1ad2s0q1 said:
I think it is fair to assume we got weaker with the loss of some of our FAs, certainly considering one strength of our defense was depth and one of our key weapons on offense is lost.

(It happens to most recent SB winners, they get stripped of FAs that are overpaid, so it was to be expected but still...)

The question is whether you think that getting weaker means that certain teams passed us, and if so who?

Are we still the strongest team in the league? How do we stack up now vs the teams that got better and are threats?

It really gets old when people are calling Tate a "key" weapon. It's not even close to being true. Not only is Tate not key, but on a Super Bowl team like the hawks, he is below the average talent level of the team. He is a replacement level player in this NFL. Only the homer glasses cause people to see more to Tate than there really is.

The homerism is not relegated to just fans. Danny oneil, before Tate signed a $6m deal, claimed that a "win win" for the hawks and Tate, meaning a great contract for both sides would be $8million plus per year! This is what homerism can do to you! A top 15 WR in the league type contract.

Instead the hawks offered Tate a contract that would take multiple years in order to equal what Tate will make in one year in Detroit. That's what a Super Bowl winning front office thinks of Tate.

Atradees

Reaction score
Everybody assumes we will have a great draft. That will fill the holes. What if we have a draft similar to last years draft?

An iffy draft at best.....

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
Atradees":1uob6w6d said:
Everybody assumes we will have a great draft. That will fill the holes. What if we have a draft similar to last years draft?

An iffy draft at best.....
How can you grade last years draft already? Most players didn't get a chance to play because they were either injured or the roster was already too deep at those positions.

Atradees

Reaction score
I am just saying-none of those guys started......except spot action bye the olineman.

So if the argument is that a great draft will replace the departed talent.........

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Atradees":2vholczw said:
I am just saying-none of those guys started......except spot action bye the olineman.

So if the argument is that a great draft will replace the departed talent.........

Once upon a time, Golden, Breno, Red, McDonald, Thurmond, etc. were guys who showed little to nothing in their first years in the league.

Some rookies shine in Year 1. Some shine in Year 2. Others explode in Year 3. We're going to have a ton of guys in Years 1-3. Several of them are going to surprise you. What did you think of Byron Maxwell and Malcolm Smith a year ago? What do you think of them today?

Seahawk Mike

Reaction score
1. HOLY SHITE....THE MUTHA FRIGGIN SKYYYY IS FALLINNNNN.....

or...

2. we're going to be OK because the front office has a clue about foozeball...

I'm selecting #2

davidonmi

Reaction score
Can't judge at this point. But it the roster were to be set today my verdict would be this.
If harvin is healthy we're better. If he isn't we're worse.
again I'll wait til September before giving my full judgement

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
We kept the biggest FA we had to keep.. and signed him at a bargain.

We lost a great punt returner and good WR to a pass-happy offense

Then we lost a lot of role players. Quality role players, but not irreplaceable ones.

From a depth stand-point we got worse. Overall? No not really. We're still one of the heavy favorites to win it all.. Chris Maragos and Clinton McDaniel aren't changing that.

Atradees

Reaction score
Seahawk Mike":25b5epa7 said:
1. HOLY SHITE....THE MUTHA FRIGGIN SKYYYY IS FALLINNNNN.....

or...

2. we're going to be OK because the front office has a clue about foozeball...

I'm selecting #2

Really? ahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahh!!!!!

[youtube]KP8-Lj-Cu6M[/youtube]

Jac

Reaction score
In four years, JS/PC transformed that horrific Ruskell roster into one of the most dominant SB performances in history, virtually all of our starters are returning (including Bennett), and some people are worried whether they're up to the task of replacing a few role players?

Roster churn is necessary, not only financially but to keep things fresh as well. We have almost an entire 2013 draft class looking for their chance. We'll probably leave the 2014 draft with 8-10 players, not to mention all the UDFAs the front office so effectively evaluates and recruits. We'll still add a few bargain FAs (another area we're pretty effective in). And JS is one of the few GMs that looks to improve through trades. We'll do all of this to add depth and replace a few role players.

Latest posts