Did we really just throw the ball to Graham 1 time tonight?

massari

Reaction score
Graham should be targeted about 10 times per game. Two is ridiculous.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Congrats, your team won one of the last 4 games the teams have played.

Don't wear your arm out patting yourself on the back.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Packer_junkie":17wa3srl said:
26. So 24 more than the # of targets the best TE in the NFC got last night.

Gee, I wonder why you were greeted so warmly here last winter :sarcasm_off:

I hear the middle school bell ringing. Better scurry off to math before you get a tardy.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Aros":3iluzkqq said:
This is the most perplexing element of the game tonight in my opinion. How do you not target a 6 foot 7 inch STUD tight end who is a prolific TD machine for much of the game? Ah Bevell. You do like keeping us 12's up at night don't you?
You got to run scripted plays and a guy like JG needs to know where to be on those Scripted plays . He even said it he had never run more scramble drills in his life . N.O. Offense is a very scripted one and players are exactly where they need to be . Ours not so much it seems like at more times than not its run around make two guys miss, coverage breaks down and find someone open like WIDE FRICKEN open Russ. not hey man drop back a sling the rock two step let it go kinda stuff . When you have Jimmy Graham and your passing game is not there that's a huge problem and both RW and Mr Bevell share he blame in that difincancy we have IMHO
I can't just blame our OC anymore it is more than that simple .

hawkfannj

Reaction score
sc85sis":vee7vfio said:
I think part of the answer was given during the game: he's used to running routes that don't need to be changed much during the play. Run your route, look for the pass, boom--reception.

The Hawks are more of a street ball team. They thrive on the scramble drill. Receivers have to constantly adjust because Russell may be on the move.

He hasn't adjusted yet.
This hits it on the head ! We are a street football team offensively .
Rings very true to what I'm seeing

drcool

Reaction score
Right after we got the ball on the fumble recovery (I think around the 47 yard line???) I was really wanting to see a play action hitting Graham deep down the seam. We had a big break and should have been aggressive. Make them pay for their mistakes. But what do we do? A couple runs, a 15 yard penalty and a punt. Graham is the perfect target in those situations. Throw the ball down there and let him make a play.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I believe Willson got more targets than Graham, of course he dropped most of them.

All game long I kept asking when are we going to see Graham used as advertised?

Singularly doubt Bevell has a fade pass to a TE in his playbook. Doubt he really understands how to use Graham or he sure isn't using him effectively.

justafan

Reaction score
Actually Willson had a good game.

I think NOs traded him because they knew we would have a better chance to rebuild without him.NOs was a soft finesse team with him.They sure as hell couldnt come up here and beat us with him.

JimmyG

Reaction score
Reaneypark":3o1hsbbq said:
Hawkpower":3o1hsbbq said:
He only had two targets. Not sure that is Bevell's fault.

Yes. You can call plays like quick tosses at the LOS to him. See if he can take on the DB for yards.
Oh, god, could you imagine the uproar around here if that actually happened?

"Wait, you're telling me that we have one of the league's premier receivers -- a guy who's strength is downfield jump balls -- and we're throwing him bubble screens at the line of scrimmage? Bevell is clueless! He's forcing Graham the ball, just like he did with Percy Harvin. It's ruining our offense."

That's exactly what people would be saying right now.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
There's a lot of blame to go around. Fortunately, this game was a huge improvement over last week. If we continue to improve like this, we'll be unbeatable very soon. That being said...about Graham...

On the pass down the left seam, he was so underthrown he had no chance of catching that ball even if he did turn around. That's 2x in the redzone this year that Graham has been targeted and Wilson has thrown a shi* pass. Last week, he was 3' over Graham's head. I'm unsure what to make of Wilson't accuracy at times.

How hard can it be to get Graham in a mismatch? To me, the buck stops with Pete, not with Bevell. Bevell actually called a much better game I believe.

The difference in the 3Q was Wilson. It looked to me like someone got in his ear at halftime and told him to throw the damn ball on pass plays and to keep the damn ball on the RO when the end commits inside. When he plays like this, he's worth all the money we gave him. When he goes out and doesn't trust the gameplan and/ or his guys, we go into halftime with a 54-yd FG as our only score. If we play the whole game at this level, Graham gets his.

I think we'll see a more open offense, a la the 3Q, going forward. We have to.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JimmyG":173140uy said:
Reaneypark":173140uy said:
Hawkpower":173140uy said:
He only had two targets. Not sure that is Bevell's fault.

Yes. You can call plays like quick tosses at the LOS to him. See if he can take on the DB for yards.
Oh, god, could you imagine the uproar around here if that actually happened?

"Wait, you're telling me that we have one of the league's premier receivers -- a guy who's strength is downfield jump balls -- and we're throwing him bubble screens at the line of scrimmage? Bevell is clueless! He's forcing Graham the ball, just like he did with Percy Harvin. It's ruining our offense."

That's exactly what people would be saying right now.
No, I for one am not saying bubble screens. But how about some 2 or 3 step slants or outs. Shouldn't matter if the guy covering him is right on him as a higher throw is caught anyway. I can't believe for one second he and Russ haven't worked on that type of throw. Now getting Russ to turn it loose in a game might be another story but we saw him throw a pass like that at the end of XLIX. Guaranteed if that's JG on the route it's a TD cuz Butler ain't knockin' him off the spot. Once yo complete a couple of those and Jimmy drags a DB 4 or 5 yards after the catch, the LBs will start pinching down to stop it and then you drag your slot guy across from the other side to the vacated area where the LBs were.

As for downfield throws to Graham, seam routes seem like they'd be most effective though the Hawks will have to make teams pay for doubling him enough to get him singled up on that type of pattern.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Honestly, blame Russ and Pete. It's been pounded into his brain for the past 4 years "No turnovers" so he doesn't throw contested balls. And that's what Jimmy does. He doesn't play off separation as much as just out muscling for the ball. Russ is just afraid to throw it. Rookie DangeRuss would be loving having Graham and wouldn't be scared.

marko358

Reaction score
keatonisballin":3t4eunqw said:
Honestly, blame Russ and Pete. It's been pounded into his brain for the past 4 years "No turnovers" so he doesn't throw contested balls. And that's what Jimmy does. He doesn't play off separation as much as just out muscling for the ball. Russ is just afraid to throw it. Rookie DangeRuss would be loving having Graham and wouldn't be scared.

If that's the case then this was one of the most pointless trades I've ever seen.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
marko358":x585d6it said:
keatonisballin":x585d6it said:

If that's the case then this was one of the most pointless trades I've ever seen.
Agree. They are going to have to let RW throw to him covered and let him make a play on the ball.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1hk1rs5g said:
marko358":1hk1rs5g said:
keatonisballin":1hk1rs5g said:

Agree. They are going to have to let RW throw to him covered and let him make a play on the ball.

By all accounts they did this and did it very very well in pre season practice against our own #1s. Why not now? What has changed?

Vesuve

Reaction score
jammerhawk":9xn1b1nm said:
All game long I kept asking when are we going to see Graham used as advertised?

Singularly doubt Bevell has a fade pass to a TE in his playbook. Doubt he really understands how to use Graham or he sure isn't using him effectively.

These 2 games with Graham:

88 Jimmy Graham 29 TE 2 2 0 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 10 7 62 8.9 1 19 3.5 31.0 62 1 0

In bold, 7 receptions for 63 yards.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... a/2015.htm