Did we really just throw the ball to Graham 1 time tonight?

tdlabrie

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1pjzxim5 said:
He's either double covered or QB needs to get the ball out faster and earlier.
Quick slant gets the ball out of Wilson's hand in less than a second. For something longer, if Jimmy's double- and triple-teamed, there's gotta be at least one guy open or single-covered, throw to him.

RussB

Reaction score
jimmy-graham.gif

^ this is what jimmy G does. not that hard to pass him the ball

jake206

Reaction score
I noticed Baldwin got tons of targets. Why not Graham? He should be option 1. Honestly, I think Russell must keep thinking he's covered. It would be better if he took chances with Graham out WIDE (at X) . Saints used him at split end almost 50% of the time. He seems like the ideal candidate for redline routes. I hope this gets fixed in week 3.

Here's a good example of what's really going on

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WeightRoomShoe/status/646025401735614464[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/646073886384087040[/tweet]

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Yes that looks like a pick play to me to but at some point we have to give Jimmy a chance to make a play. This is also a throw that Russell has made in the past. I don't know why he didn't pull the trigger.

What also jumps out at me from that snap is the routes. How are any of those routes supposed to create separation with out a blown play? It looks like all our receivers have run right into the coverage. Am I missing something?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm actually concerned about this player's inadequate use. If the team isn't going to use him or any other TE b/c the OC doesn't know how to do that reliably, I don't understand why they traded to acquire Graham.

When team traded for Graham i thought it was a great trade. Unger was expensive and spending a greater and greater amount of time not playing, and when he did he was not strong at times. Graham answered a need at TE and for a big WR he looked to be a long sought team need. It is becoming clear Bevell has little idea of how to effectively use his playing skills. I thought the team was sandbagging in the preseason by not calling his number but that reality appears to be reality now.

Graham has been with the team since before the draft, he's practiced with RW both in organized and in informal practices. Blockhead Bevell has seen what he can do, and has now had 6 games to figure out what to do with him, but he's not being used. Why not remains unanswered. Is the problem RW, Bevell or is it Graham? Seems to me it is mostly on Bevell with some blame on RW.

The plan that provided reasoned thought that the team would pull players out of the box to cover Graham allowing Marshawn more running space seems a pipe dream; just as using Graham when the D keys upon Lynch.

At present he's an expensive underachiever.

jake206

Reaction score
I think they got gun-shy because of the whole Percy situation last year. Bevell feels he got burned by trying to force-feed to Percy...

Here's an excerpt from an article earlier in the summer from Tacoma News Tribune:

“The cool part about Jimmy is we can just plug him in,” play caller Bevell said following Wednesday’s lightning-altered practice No. 11 of training camp. “We really don’t have to do anything special.

“He’s special as a player, being able to fit into the offense. He’s picked it up very well. We can run the exact same routes that we’ve been running and just kind of plug him in.”

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article30976269.html

netskier

Reaction score
Bevell did not trade for Graham. Schneider and Carroll did.

Plugging Graham into last year's offense is a recipe for mediocrity. We should shoot for the stars with the present receiving talent.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":ih1uwybl said:
seahawksny":ih1uwybl said:
FanSince82":ih1uwybl said:
Made zero sense to give up a Pro Bowl o lineman and 1st round draft pick for this.

A TE we don't want to throw at. Inexplicable. :?

It was a bad trade to start with. We have a bruising back and and a running qb. I said this when trade was made. Why trade the one responsible for opening holes

Our line was crap with Unger too.
Our oline was noticably better with Unger, he just didn't play that much.

Basis4day

Reaction score
2Cool4School":2dt5losj said:
jimmy-graham.gif

Considering it's a hail mary situation and he got flagged for pass interference on that play it's not the best example.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
jake206":2zkproqw said:
I think they got gun-shy because of the whole Percy situation last year. Bevell feels he got burned by trying to force-feed to Percy...

Here's an excerpt from an article earlier in the summer from Tacoma News Tribune:

“The cool part about Jimmy is we can just plug him in,” play caller Bevell said following Wednesday’s lightning-altered practice No. 11 of training camp. “We really don’t have to do anything special.

“He’s special as a player, being able to fit into the offense. He’s picked it up very well. We can run the exact same routes that we’ve been running and just kind of plug him in.”

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article30976269.html

They may have plugged him in, but they failed to flick the on/off switch to the proper setting. I'm sorry, but a top-three tight end in the league doesn't just suddenly end up so covered they can't throw to him without some serious mismatches elsewhere. Our passing game with him should be vastly improved, even with the same number of throws.

Right now, Jimmy Graham, a seasoned, top-tier, Pro Bowl talent tight end is just one catch and twelve yards more productive than rookie wide receiver Tyler Lockett on offense.

I'm sorry, but with that kind of weapon, it's an either/or situation: you figure out damn quick how to use it or you're going to lose games. So far, we've taken the "or".

jake206

Reaction score
netskier":2ot5colf said:
Bevell did not trade for Graham. Schneider and Carroll did.

Plugging Graham into last year's offense is a recipe for mediocrity. We should shoot for the stars with the present receiving talent.

But we are plugging Graham into last year's offense. Bevell had the option of redesigning an offense around Percy or not. Last year they chose to to adjust the offense around Percy, then reverted back to Marshawn/read option heavy offense. This year they haven't for Graham. That's the difference. Either the offense is adapted around the player or the player has to adapt around the offense. Bevell has chosen to let Jimmy adapt to this current offense. I'm not sure if there's a middle ground at least thus far in this approach.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Basis4day":3eucaspi said:
2Cool4School":3eucaspi said:
jimmy-graham.gif

Considering it's a hail mary situation and he got flagged for pass interference on that play it's not the best example.

lol i was going to say...what does he do? Commit PI?

RussB

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1yjxyu13 said:
Basis4day":1yjxyu13 said:
2Cool4School":1yjxyu13 said:
jimmy-graham.gif

lol i was going to say...what does he do? Commit PI?
He is known to catch passes like that one.