Disappointed so far

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1fi16mwr said:
I think they have played it fairly smart.

Too many people got suckered into that "60 million" in cap space thing that was thrown around but, (1) it was never that much in true cap space and, (2) we had to refill half the roster, so we were never going to be big spenders in FA, anyways.

When has this front office ever been very aggressive in first wave FA deals?? If anything, their big moves have always been trades. Those could still happen.

Based on the current available space remaining, I would guess they have a contingency to jettison the likes of Britt, Wright (I know, I know), Thompson (who has already been given permission to seek a trade), Hill, etc., if they are able to swing a deal for a front line player.

As it stands right now - without Clowney (and now Q Jeff) and still with Ken Norton as D coord (for some reason), this defense looks to be set up to struggle again. Bruce Irvin will help, but he's a complimentary piece at this point and not an "Alpha". Even if they do get Clowney back, we still need significant upgrades rushing the passer. I sure HOPE that they are not just hoping LJ Collier is going to bust out?

Offensively, Olsen is a great signing. Not bringing back Ifedi is a great move..and getting a guy like Finney is also pretty solid, in case they do move Britt (and I think they should, he is way too expensive (currently our 4th most expensive contract at an $11.4 million cap hit). I still think Josh Gordon will end up back in Seattle if he is reinstated.

My biggest concern, as usual, is the DRAFT. They have proven to be largely clueless with way too many of the picks they have made since 2014-2015. They have hit on a few diamonds, for sure (Lockett, Metcalf, Carson immediately come to mind) but, by and large, have not replenished the loss of so much talent that has left.

Their drafting, recently, has been excellent. 2018 was amazing. 2019 looks to have some good players. Collier has been a major disappointment, but there is some good talent in the rest of the 2019 class.

As of now, the only thing that has me truly disappointed is that Clowney hasn't been signed to a long term deal. Otherwise, Brandon Shell at RT for less than 6m a year is a steal, Finney looks to be our starting center should Britt be cut, Ogbuehi has a lot of potential in Fant's old role with an incentive laden contract that has low base pay, and Irvin significantly helps the pass rush rotation should Clowney be back.

All that BEFORE heading in to the draft, where the front office has been doing great the past 2 years, and we have 3 picks in the top 64.

I'm optimistic. There was a lot of holes to fill going into FA, especially on the lines, and they've done well plugging in some guys at a fantastic value. If Clowney comes back, then I think the team is already improved from where it was.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
KinesProf":2lyq3jdt said:
Sgt. Largent":2lyq3jdt said:
KinesProf":2lyq3jdt said:
I don't see how either line won't be a bottom tier unit again. Disappointing approach to Russ's prime.

Weird to say on March 20th. Free agency is three days old and the draft, training camp and the beginning of the season hasn't even happened yet.

I assume all fan bases are like this, impatient and irrational when free agency starts..........but holy moly people, the season's just begun.

Post this opinion on August 20th, not March 20th.

How do you see either line not bottom tier?

Even with Clowney returning and , at best, modest rookie contributions it won't be a good group. The oline has one good player and a bunch of unknowns, and seeing how drafted olinemen struggle here I can't foresee a rookie swinging the fortunes of an entire unit.

Because it's March 20th.

We didn't even trade for Clowney last year until September 1st, Diggs on October 22nd, drafted Barton, DK, etc last April. Would you consider those impact players?

COULD you be right, of course, but damn dude we're just getting started this year. To assume before the end of free agency, the draft and possible impact trades before the season starts that "oh well, our lines are gonna suck again" is extremely pessimistic and rash on March 20th.

All I'm saying is lets see how the rest of the off season shakes out.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3vo1uw3n said:
KinesProf":3vo1uw3n said:
Sgt. Largent":3vo1uw3n said:
KinesProf":3vo1uw3n said:
I don't see how either line won't be a bottom tier unit again. Disappointing approach to Russ's prime.

Weird to say on March 20th. Free agency is three days old and the draft, training camp and the beginning of the season hasn't even happened yet.

I assume all fan bases are like this, impatient and irrational when free agency starts..........but holy moly people, the season's just begun.

Post this opinion on August 20th, not March 20th.

How do you see either line not bottom tier?

Even with Clowney returning and , at best, modest rookie contributions it won't be a good group. The oline has one good player and a bunch of unknowns, and seeing how drafted olinemen struggle here I can't foresee a rookie swinging the fortunes of an entire unit.

Because it's March 20th.

We didn't even trade for Clowney last year until September 1st, Diggs on October 22nd, drafted Barton, DK, etc last April. Would you consider those impact players?

COULD you be right, of course, but damn dude we're just getting started this year. To assume before the end of free agency, the draft and possible impact trades before the season starts that "oh well, our lines are gonna suck again" is extremely pessimistic and rash on March 20th.

All I'm saying is lets see how the rest of the off season shakes out.

DK, Diggs, and Barton all play positions that the Hawks have proven to be able to identify, acquire and develop excellent players.

So, on that note, I do have slightly more faith in their ability to put together a competent defensive line; as they've done it multiple times. But I have close to zero faith in their approach to putting together a better than bottom -tier offensive line, as their track record of drafting, identifying and developing there is abysmal.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
So far i'm not impressed with what they have done. This is the worst draft in years for Edge rushers so if we don't resign Clowney everything kind of falls apart. They will then reach on an Edge DE instead of drafting where the talent is in this draft the O-line.

I'm not sure what the holdup is with Clowney but if they can't resign him they better get busy signing Griffen and then trading for another DE/Edge in addition to Griffen . I just read an SI article that Seattle has contacted Everson's camp so hopefully we will see some movement soon. Most of the pass rushers are already gone he's about the only good FA Edge rusher left .

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Just figure we are always going to do just enough to make the playoffs

xray

Reaction score
Fixating on Clowney to save the Hawks defense is disappointing . I wish the Hawks would try to sign two 10 million dollar DL players instead of giving Clowney 18 or 20 . If Clowney was " all that " he would be signed by now . IMO

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Yeah man! If only John Schneider worked more like Dan Snyder, all our problems would be solved. High-priced stars baby! The way to go!

ducks41468

Reaction score
The offense looks fine, but I have no idea where we're going to get production on the defense. It was bad enough last year, and we've major no major improvements and still stand to lose Clowney. I don't understand what the play here is.

Largent80

Reaction score
ducks41468":2pxkmh2q said:
The offense looks fine, but I have no idea where we're going to get production on the defense. It was bad enough last year, and we've major no major improvements and still stand to lose Clowney. I don't understand what the play here is.

The play is nobody else wants him for HIS price tag. He's a DE that doesn't get double digit sacks every year and he has an injury history. This plays in Seattles favor as well as the virus makes it so teams can't even give him a physical....Win for the Hawks.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
King Dog":4vhlufzi said:
Russell Wilson says Seahawks need more 'superstars' in free agency

John Schneider

The Seahawks are being smart. They are still in the running to sign Clowney and he has been their target all along. If they signed those others, then Clowney would have been gone. They know the level of athlete they have here. They are working to get him back. Being patient is the best way to do it. The market is drying and the chances they can get him at a cheaper rate is improving. Right now things are in their favor. They've done a great job in FA so far. Teams are not able to bring players in for physicals. Clowney has been in Seattle and the team doctors have data on him. Other teams don't have that. Seattle has an advantage in that respect. Probably why no one has jumped to sign him. They are unable to check him out first. He is coming off a core injury.

:sarcasm_on: Maybe Russell should restructure his contract so there is more $$$ to get said superstars then. No one needs $35M yr to survive. He can drop about at least $10-15M and still be well paid in the NFL. That would help the team in getting more "superstars". :sarcasm_off:

BigMeach

Reaction score
Largent80":32yuvqgq said:
The front office does this every year, so I don't understand someone being bummed. We're in the salary cap era with an elite and highly paid QB.

Hey! Someone else that pays attention to how this team operates. :2thumbs:

Fade

Reaction score
So far so good actually, I would give them a B.

But it ultimately comes down to acquiring 2 more pass rushers. That is what will make or break the Seahawks.

Irvin & Reed. Still need 2 more.

That "B" will turn into a "D" or "F", if they don't add 2 more good to great passrushers during the off-season.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Fade":3uoce90i said:

But it ultimately comes down to acquiring 2 more pass rushers. That is what will make or break the Seahawks.

That "B" will turn into a "D" or "F", if they don't add 2 more good to great passrushers during the off-season.

What about corner? I think RCB needs to be addressed, unless we're banking on Flowers making a comeback like Griffin did.

Nunya

Reaction score
raisethe3":25zfzeho said:
Fade":25zfzeho said:

What about corner? I think RCB needs to be addressed, unless we're banking on Flowers making a comeback like Griffin did.

Flowers had some good plays and he had some bad plays. I think he will improve. If we get a pass rush, it should take some pressure off of him.

xray

Reaction score
Fade":7237s0l5 said:

Better to have a few good players than just 1 very good player . It's math .

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm rapidly souring on the free agency period with Clowney remaining unsigned and (apparently) following Titans twitter folks. If Clowney leaves, this is gonna suck badly. At a minimum, if they miss on Clowney, they'll need to lock up Everson Griffen and draft a couple pass rushers. A trade for Yannick is going to probably going to require more than pick 27, and he just ain't worth that capital PLUS a huge contract.

If Clowney is retained, then I'll continue to be very pleased.

John63

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":38wszqo8 said:
Bobblehead":38wszqo8 said:
Just figure we are always going to do just enough to make the playoffs

And not much more

Pretty much that's it. Enough to keep fans watching and spending money. The bad part is they could do way more with just a couple of tweaks to the offensive and defensive systems.

chris98251

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1p1e9qnm said:
We seemed to be slowly spending our $60mil in cap space or whatever it was on scrubs. I guess Im the type that prefers to buy one or two really nice things versus a ton of trash. Now we are left with hoping we resign Clowney but even if we do how have we improved our Dline? Hope they don't expect different results with the same group.

I certainly hope there is more to this offseason and we can bring in some star power. If you look at the Hawks roster there isn't much to get excited about in terms of true elite talent anymore. Can you imagine where we would be without the best QB in the league? Put just an average guy like Kirk Cousins and we are 8-8 if lucky with the talent we have.

Your right Tom Brady was available for 50 million and we passed on trying to sign him, we could have had a instant Super Bowl, Tampa thinks so now.

Latest posts