Dissly

Reaction score
The problem with Dickson is that he's not a receiving threat, so he doesn't fill the gap that Dissly has left. In his career, the most TDs Dickson has in a full season was 5, back in 2011 but Dissly was on 4 TDs in 5 full games. I'm not as worried about the blocking as I am the receiving threat because Fant can block, the issue is where to pick up that receiver who can consistently find pockets and is a red zone threat.

I'd go big on a trade, personally, I think it's a position that Schottenheimer can utilise well going forward and if we have Dissly, Howard, Lockett and Metcalf going forward, that's a very potent, and cheap, offense that'll pick up TDs and can block well.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This kid gets it, and Husky or not I'm not even considering giving up on him. He's gonna' come back strong.

justafan

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3byiihxp said:
This kid gets it, and Husky or not I'm not even considering giving up on him. He's gonna' come back strong.

No doubt. I read it was an 11 month rehab for NFL players but I just heard on NFL network that he is expected to be back by beginning of next year.

sutz

Reaction score
justafan":zyavdlo4 said:
SoulfishHawk":zyavdlo4 said:

No doubt. I read it was an 11 month rehab for NFL players but I just heard on NFL network that he is expected to be back by beginning of next year.
Sounds like it is only a partial tear. :pray:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Sounds like enough of a tear to need surgery but not enough to require 12 months of rehab. So that is at least better than some achilles injuries.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Sucks about Dissly, he will be back though. I think a lot of people are unfairly judging Willson based on his time here previously with the team. He is a different player now. Tougher, more willing to block and better at it. I still think his hands are a bit suspect randomly, but I think he is good enough to stick with.

I get trading for depth though, and fully support it as long as its not anything north of a 3rd round. I just don't think we are that desperate. TE is Russ's security blanket, I think we just got spoiled with Dissly.

massari

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2o9ijuvz said:
It could have been a "partial tear".
This is encouraging. Was his patellar tendon tear last year full or partial?

Torn ACL and patellar tendon tear in consecutive years on the same knee seems brutal.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
IndyHawk":365iitp6 said:
If I recall Sherman before he tore his..He had some issue with it for a couple seasons?
I hope Will isn't the same case.
Sherman has been a regular starter and I have never read that he had issue with the injury. I was hoping he would drop off since he went to the enemy but unfortunately NOPE. :49ersmall: :pukeface:

John63

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":3b7qfsrj said:
IndyHawk":3b7qfsrj said:
If I recall Sherman before he tore his..He had some issue with it for a couple seasons?
Sherman has been a regular starter and I have never read that he had issue with the injury. I was hoping he would drop off since he went to the enemy but unfortunately NOPE. :49ersmall: :pukeface:

Well actually if you look his tackles have gone down every year since 2016, Last year he only started 14 games and had 0 ints, the year before only 9 games. Now this year he is doing pretty good....so far. But he is far from his peak of 2012, and 2013 and even 2014.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
John63":p3ox82x8 said:
Seahwkgal":p3ox82x8 said:
IndyHawk":p3ox82x8 said:

Well actually if you look his tackles have gone down every year since 2016, Last year he only started 14 games and had 0 ints, the year before only 9 games. Now this year he is doing pretty good....so far. But he is far from his peak of 2012, and 2013 and even 2014.
This year he is playing with a beastly front 7, which helps any CB. I didn’t know his stats were off or that he missed games. He was released then signed with the enemy so he was dismissed in my mind but I knew he was a starter.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Watch the end of the Rams game. He gets absolutely TORCHED in the 4th quarter. Goff overthrows his guy by 5 yards.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":10751z09 said:
Watch the end of the Rams game. He gets absolutely TORCHED in the 4th quarter. Goff overthrows his guy by 5 yards.

Not sure the TE was his responsibility on the play. It was a blown coverage by someone but rarely do you have your boundary corner covering a TE deep.

Nonetheless, Sherm isn't as fast as he once was but he makes up for it with veteran savvy. He's not playing any better than Griffin now however. And Griffin is considerably cheaper.

As for Dissly, his game is not precedented on speed. You could likely time his 40 with a calendar. So an achilles injury is far less likely to influence his performance. Finding the holes in zone coverage and blocking is really what you want from your TE. That takes brains and brawn not elite speed.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1amaa5ws said:
I don’t know enough about these injuries but my cousin Jay Reimersma had to retire when he tore his playing for Pittsburgh. That was in the early 2000s. Maybe recovery has advanced since then. Sherman seemed to recover fine from his. I just don’t know if the severity is the difference here. I am not a doctor.

...But did you stay at a Holiday Inn at least once though? :180670:

sutz

Reaction score
massari":3rumlgh7 said:
Bigpumpkin":3rumlgh7 said:

Torn ACL and patellar tendon tear in consecutive years on the same knee seems brutal.
Wait, what? This is an achilles tendon, not an ACL. Something I don't remember right?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
massari":3ckqpgfy said:
Bigpumpkin":3ckqpgfy said:

I thought it was the other leg this year??

Elemas

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1j9l4916 said:
Guy has never been an injury concern, a couple fluke injuries and now he's should step away? Oh boy...…
This guy has many years in front of him.

Oh boy. I didn't say he should step away. I also didn't forsee Andrew Luck stepping away. Or Barry Sanders...or...

He had a no contact injury. Could be a fluke. Who knows?

It sounds like he made his decision. As I previously stated, I hope he does return.

sutz

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1wwh07ze said:
massari":1wwh07ze said:
Bigpumpkin":1wwh07ze said:

I thought it was the other leg this year??
IIRC it was right knee last year, left ankle this year.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1visbqsv said:
SoulfishHawk":1visbqsv said:

Nonetheless, Sherm isn't as fast as he once was but he makes up for it with veteran savvy. He's not playing any better than Griffin now however. And Griffin is considerably cheaper.

Sherm also has an uncanny ability to find the ball in the air. Griffin's style is to wait until the receiver goes for the catch and try to rip it out.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Sherman's game has never been based on speed. He's always been a little slow, in fact. He's a phenomenal corner because of what he has between the ears. He reads the play, and puts himself into position to break it up.

A partial tear is a conundrum, and I hope Dissly gets the surgery. Partial tears never seem to heal quite right, and reinjury is a huge concern. Sherman had partial tear(s), and knew it was just a matter of time before he went down. If Dissly doesn't get the surgery, he will be in the same boat, looking at the very real possibility of losing another season to injury. I really hope he doesn't try the "conservative" treatment option of letting it heal.

Yes, Achilles surgery and recovery sucks. Yes, it is risky, and getting it "just right" still requires some measure of luck. But, if he doesn't get the surgery, I bet he goes down, mid-season, with a full tear.

JMHO.