DK Metcalf - Over 1000 yards, yet again

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Nobody says he’s a bad receiver, he’s just limited and doesn’t take over games like the top tier receivers do in the NFL.
Most don't say he's a bad receiver, but a lot of people don't even acknowledge him as top-20. The rhetoric was much worse overall a few weeks ago.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Most don't say he's a bad receiver, but a lot of people don't even acknowledge him as top-20. The rhetoric was much worse overall a few weeks ago.

With all these young WR's coming up He's not top 20.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
With all these young WR's coming up He's not top 20.
He's 20th in yards on a relatively small amount of targets. He's averaging almost 17 yards per reception. He's top 10 in yards per reception, receiving touchdowns, and is one of the rarest athletic prototypes of all time at the position.

This is during a down year for the rest of the passing offense.

He is irrefutably top-20 when considering any or all of his career-wide production, his current production, or the effect he has on the rest of the offenses production due to his ridiculous speed/size/length combo.

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
Put him in Kansas City and he might just set the yards record. He really isn't on a offensive juggernaut here .

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Because his offensive coordinator sucks and his QBs disappear for multiple games at a time
Bad offensive coordinator doesn’t explain how bad he is at high pointing the ball and his struggles catching with his hands or his route running. He’s a good receiver but he’s not elite, tier 2 below the best nfl receivers.

Good, not great.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Bad offensive coordinator doesn’t explain how bad he is at high pointing the ball and his struggles catching with his hands or his route running. He’s a good receiver but he’s not elite, tier 2 below the best nfl receivers.

Good, not great.
I dunno. I’m assuming coaches are responsible for planning to their players strengths and weaknesses but I’m just a casual observer.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
DK does have legitimate weaknesses. He's got 35 inch arms (an inch longer than Megatrons! MEGATRONS!) and sucks at highpointing. Its the biggest waste. It's like if Peter North had erectile dysfunction.

He's top 20 anyway, which is absolutely wild. He just gets shit for unrealized potential.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
DK does have legitimate weaknesses. He's got 35 inch arms (an inch longer than Megatrons! MEGATRONS!) and sucks at highpointing. Its the biggest waste. It's like if Peter North had erectile dysfunction.

He's top 20 anyway, which is absolutely wild. He just gets shit for unrealized potential.
Exactly what I’m talking about. With his size he should dominate in high pointing the ball and boxing out DBs. His route running is also very sloppy and he’s prone to mistakes.

He’s a good receiver but he isn’t great. I don’t think that’s an unrealistic take on DK Metcalf. He’s also prone to mistakes that a vet shouldn’t make on a consistent basis and he doesn’t have the best hands.

DK could dominate but he doesn’t. He’s a solid receiver that plays much smaller than his size would indicate.

We could use him better for sure. The fact we’re not using him more on slants is a crime.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Is he top-20? In today's NFL, like 40 players top 1,000 receiving yards. Some games he looks it. Some, decidedly not. I'm not sure i blame him, though. This team hasn't done a good job of scheming weapons to create mismatches for a very long time.

EDIT: If he's top-20, it's near the bottom. https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/receiving/2023/REG/all/receivingyards/DESC

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Is he top-20? In today's NFL, like 40 players top 1,000 receiving yards. Some games he looks it. Some, decidedly not. I'm not sure i blame him, though. This team hasn't done a good job of scheming weapons to create mismatches for a very long time.

EDIT: If he's top-20, it's near the bottom. https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/receiving/2023/REG/all/receivingyards/DESC
He's literally exactly 20th in yardage IIRC (on phone, cant double check) so straight up at bottom. But he's top 10 in touchdowns and yards per reception in an overall down year for our offense, which gives him some cushion in the top-20 territory.

I'd put him above Garrett Wilson, for instance, who has more yards than DK but on significantly shorter routes and significantly more receptions. I'd rather have my athletic prototype WR1 stretch the defense and make things easier on everyone else while still producing than exist mostly on manufactured short route receptions.

knownone

Reaction score
DK's always been a good receiver. The question is whether his receiving abilities are worth the headache and salary number. He has matured this season, so that's a positive step in the right direction.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score

Turtle

Reaction score
Feels like he had 1K in penalty yards as well. Might as well give him the pacifier back.

GemCity

Reaction score
Best offensive player we have. Absolute beast and worthy of our unrelenting fan support.

Don’t wait until it’s too late to support a home-grown phenom.