DK Metcalf

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
DK is on track to set a new Seahawks' rookie receiving record for yards, but I want to shed some light on his run blocking as well. On rushing downs, he's practically another lineman out there, and it's creating big holes that Penny for one has been exploiting.

With Fant as an extra lineman on one side and DK as effectively another on the other side, it's almost unfair.

It also may seem unfair to draft a guy like Metcalf and make him block for the running back, but it's quintessentially Pete Carroll's philosophy that everyone does everything they can on every play, which is why Jimmy "What, me block?" Graham never worked here.

I know he's dropped some passes, and I know he's lost some fumbles, and that frustrates me just as much as it should -particularly after we lose Doug Baldwin, who was about as sure-handed as they come. But I love DK's attitude and willingness to perform everything he's asked to do.

In Metcalf, we have a bona-fide top receiving threat with the drive to do what it takes to win a football game, even if that means blocking instead of catching passes, and reflects his light back on the people around him - he constantly credits Wilson and Schotty for his catches. If he keeps this up and works on his hands, I'm thinking of him as a Larry Fitzgerald more than a Calvin Johnson.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Metcalf has played well for a rookie and could be very special if he keeps on working on his hands and stays aware of ball security. The reality that he is willing to block and is somewhat effective at doing it is a bonus which speaks highly of his character. If he continues to grow into playing his position he may in time bespoken of in a high regard as Megatron or Fitz, but or now he's been a nice addition to the team and so far has proven to be a good pick.

The team drafted a very high potential player when they drafted him. He can be very frustrating to watch when he misses a pass he ought to have caught and his lack of ball security at time may in time be very costly to this season's ultimate results, or not and he will prove to be a high quality rookie addition.

I am happy the team drafted him. He looks to be getting more and more comfortable with RW.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's made some damn good plays. I would just like him to concentrate on ball security more. Fighting for an extra two yards isn't worth losing the ball. He needs to hold it tight to his pads with 2 hands. Or even get down when he knows he gets the first down. I appreciate the effort and I think he's going to be a damn good player. He's already surpassing what people thought he would do in many ways. Just hold on the ball more and make more of those tough contested catches. There have been quite a few throws on the money that should have been caught. But many WR's over the years had issues with drops etc. as rookies. Including Jerry Rice.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
DeCaf Metcalf has so much "potential playmaker" ability that you keep going his way regardless. Hes a beast. People have forgotten that hes leading stats as far as Seahawks rookie receivers go. He will learn to take what's given and not think every play has to be a splash play..........give him time.

D

DomeHawk

Every time he has a good game the .NET hype train is exuberant in their praise and silent when he doesn't have a good one.

I think he's definitely getting better. In the last game he caught 85% of his passes but the one he fumbled could have cost us the game.

For the year he catches 57% of his targets, on the surface not that great but that is an improvement from the 40% he was at a few games ago.

I have always said that he has a lot of potential but the issues that he had coming into the league have proven to be true. I am becoming more confident that he will progress but he needs to protect the rock.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... tcDK00.htm

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Not that I'm saying he's going to turn in to this, but Jerry Rice as a rookie thru his first 11 games had only 26 receptions with 10, yes TEN drops. He did finish strong with 49 receptions and 927 yards, but only 3 TD's and only started 4 games. It looks like he had 1 fumble however. He also was always a great blocker.

DK already has 11 Starts in 12 games, 44 Receptions and 705 yards with 5 TD's and 5 drops. It's a great start with great things coming! He's gonna fix the fumbles and the sky is the limit!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He has had some fumbles. But he had them while trying to make plays.

He is learning some of the physical stuff he could do in college he cannot now, but some he can.

Generally, Pete lets you err on the side of being aggressive.

But I have noticed a number of great plays that were facilitated by his blocking. He is big, strong, and willing to sacrifice his body to help move the ball.

He needs to learn to carry the football like a RB through traffic instead of in both hands, but he has been a great pickup for the Hawks in spite of the fumbles.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jammerhawk":12ynbj95 said:
Metcalf has played well for a rookie.

Correction, DK's played well for a receiver, forget the rookie part. He's on pace for 1,000 yards, 60+ receptions and 7-8 TD's.

On this team? That's a great year for any WR. Add in the fact that he's blocking assignment sound and his route running has improved dramatically over the course of the season, and DK's been a home run pick.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Outstanding draft pick, and is developing quickly. Shoot, all we heard was he only runs one route, clearly that's not the case. Big strong receiver that I suspect will shore up some of the rookie mistakes and be a monster for the next several years.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Obviously out best draft pick in a long time. How he fell to where he did is a mystery. He just has to work on ball security and we may have a pro bowler. Like every other player hope he stays healthy.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I earmarked DK as a future star from the gitgo. The problems he has encountered are common for most rookies. He'll just keep getting better and better. Russ guarantees it! I trust Wilson's judgement. DK is a key addition to our offensive group.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Decalf Metcalf is the Chris Carson of our WR's. He's done enough to prove his worth, but he's been making more mistakes than he should. But he has the excuse that he's a rookie.

chrispy

Reaction score
There was a lot of frustration on DK's dropped passes in the gameday forum this week. Of course that's justified, but (during the game, in realtime) no one realized (myself included) the blocking and all of his downfield adjustments.

DK made key blocks on 2 separate rushing touchdowns. There's video in the Brian Baldinger post. I think -just my opinion- that the ball security issues have stemmed from DK making a giant leap in the mental part of his game. He, previously, could run simple route trees (some would say 1 single route every down), athletically overcome inferior opponents, catch and hold and run. I think the pre-season games and first games of the season he showed he could do that and he has since been asked to take on more.

He's now running relatively complex route trees, adjusting to RW's freelancing, and integrating downfield blocking for RBs into his routes (and further timing those blocks to be legal even if RW holds the ball and checks down). But if you watch that tape, he's really doing those things pretty well. He's not at an ADB level, but he's a rookie that dropped in the draft and was labeled a one-trick/go-route pony. I'd offer that a drop on 2nd down and then a key block to break a TD on 3rd is worthy tradeoff every time.

Like I said, frustrations on drops is justified. I'd also offer that, if DK is the #1 target on a play and all the above mental responsibility is moot, it's even more frustrating. ... and I concede that has happened- but it's not the norm. I think we have to also anticipate that the improvement in his game will undoubtedly get rid of the drops as the game slows down for him, even if it takes a full season.

Visualize though if you will, when he's the 3rd option on a play, he's handfighting the DB- with all the new nuances of PI this year and very different from college game- and at 4.3 speed, keeping track of the 1st down marker, while not knowing if he's going to end up being the target or turn into a blocker for RW or other back- but not until the ball is out.... and it's all completely new to him because he just wasn't asked to do it in College.... I'm very impressed that he's digesting that kind of role in year 1. Certainly we can agree that we've seen a dozen +/- rookie WRs in recent years and almost none of them have shown the ability to perform those roles in year 1.

The draft gurus said he'd never get there. I think it's pretty obvious he's going to be a complete star WR by the end of yr 2. He'll raise the level of play of the entire O by making big plays, pulling a safety to double, stretching the field but also blocking downfield as required by Pete and giving extra yards to the run game. It took Lockett some time to get used to RW freelancing, but assuming that comes with time too, it's hard to see how DBs will be able to cover deep for more than a few seconds.

justafan

Reaction score
If these are his average stats for the rest of his career while accepting his role and responsibilities on a running team its a huge win. He bought into the culture and is doing his job. He surpassed my expectations.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3iu63bau said:
jammerhawk":3iu63bau said:
Metcalf has played well for a rookie.

Correction, DK's played well for a receiver, forget the rookie part. He's on pace for 1,000 yards, 60+ receptions and 7-8 TD's.

On this team? That's a great year for any WR. Add in the fact that he's blocking assignment sound and his route running has improved dramatically over the course of the season, and DK's been a home run pick.

I stand corrected, with the caveats that he needs to be more certain with ball security, and continue to work on his hands. He has proven himself to be a > starter level, quality WR. Who with experience will likely be a force to deal with going forward.

Largent80

Reaction score
The guy has exceeded my expectations. He will learn ball security more but I don't think it is a long term prob.

he is going to get better at EVERYTHING going forward and even some playoff experience.

I LOVE DK Metcalf !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Well, I have a wife but...as a player..Ha)

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
love this kid, if he can fix the drops he'll be an all pro. makes me wonder if Pete's kid is the right guy to be coaching him.

edogg23

Reaction score
I think issues with dropped passes are greatly exaggerated on here. Some of these passes people are calling drops are balls that defenders get a hand on, balls he is extending out for etc... Ball security I will agree with. He absolutely needs to work on it. I am glad he is getting recognition for his blocking, he has been a beast out there. He is already my second favorite Seahawk on the roster behind RW.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Most of his misses ARE on tougher throws. But he still needs to makes those plays. And I suspect he will start getting more consistent. Just because he's a rookie, doesn't mean he is without criticism. I proudly wear my DK jersey to every game. But I still expect even more, and I think he's going to be a flat out beast.
Rookie or not, gotta' catch more of those contested ones.

Elemas

Reaction score
That last "drop"...there was a very good defensive play made on the ball. No excuse ...perhaps DK could've secured the ball better before he turned but....

It's just like the SF game. A turnover is a turnover but, those were two very good defensive plays.

I don't think this will be a trend.

He's proven himself and has undoubtedly shut down the route running critics.

Kids a beast.