DK Metcalf

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
DK Metcalf is exactly who I thought he was. In college he was used sparingly, and not in his best role. His numbers were dismal, and they really didn't do a good job developing him. He came into the NFL as a very raw prospect, as raw as they come in fact. He reminds me of Golden Tate during his rookie season in that he had a hard time running certain routes, and he made a lot of bone headed plays. Hands were not the best either, I remember he had a bad dropsie problem his rookie season. By the time the third season came Golden Tate had the best hands in the NFL according to PFF I believe and he has been a threat since.

In DK's time here I've already seen a lot of growth. His route running is much better than we saw in game one, and his route tree is slowly expanding. His fake to the outside into the slant was a veteran move. He's slowly putting things together. DK also makes big plays happen more consistently than any other receiver on our roster.

DK has the potential to be one of the best receivers in the NFL, but as of right now he's just a raw rookie. He needs to work on situational awareness and catching the ball more consistently. Though we really couldn't ask for much better from a rookie WR. He is what? Second among rookie WRs, highest YARDS PER AVERAGE not only among rookies but even in the NFL for a time. I'm pleased with this pick and am excited to see how he develops in the offseason.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
After watching and re-watching repays of that end of half fumble @49ers, I have a question regarding that call. As DK is nearing the goal line (-2yards) a Niner who has both feet planted OUT OF BOUNDS grabs the ball in DK's grasp, then jumps back in behind DK, spinning him around, and ends up getting the ball loose.
Isn't it illegal for a player out of bounds to effect play on the field?

D

DomeHawk

Spin Doctor":vxjblgsz said:
DK also makes big plays happen more consistently than any other receiver on our roster.

Agree with some of what you say but this. He is nowhere even close to Tyler Lockett on big plays.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":j0zgjze6 said:
..........If he keeps this up and works on his hands, I'm thinking of him as a Larry Fitzgerald more than a Calvin Johnson.
Seahawk Gal has been saying he's a comp to Megatron since we drafted DK. Certainly the physical tools are there. Time will tell on the hands/fumble issues.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2ht9mb6w said:
Spin Doctor":2ht9mb6w said:
DK also makes big plays happen more consistently than any other receiver on our roster.

Agree with some of what you say but this. He is nowhere even close to Tyler Lockett on big plays.
Going to have to disagree with that. DK Metcalf has had more big explosive plays. I think a lot of that is just by virtue of being able to out athlete his opponents. We're talking a guy that is 6'5 low 4.3s. Lockett is better at creating scenarios where he comes down with contested balls, but DK is more explosive as a player.

BigMeach

Reaction score
I don't think it's unfair to Metcalf at all to use him as a blocker. Have you seen how excited he gets when his block leads to major yards or a touchdown? He's loving it.

Not to mention, with how thin we are at TE we could really use a monster like him blocking down field.

xray

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1sprq70f said:
Spin Doctor":1sprq70f said:

He's a rookie and nowhere close to Lockett . He's fast and strong ; but comparing him to some of the best to ever play the position is premature . IMO

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":glboeepq said:
KiwiHawk":glboeepq said:
..........If he keeps this up and works on his hands, I'm thinking of him as a Larry Fitzgerald more than a Calvin Johnson.
Seahawk Gal has been saying he's a comp to Megatron since we drafted DK. Certainly the physical tools are there. Time will tell on the hands/fumble issues.
:2thumbs:
I watched Megatron’s whole career. DK is already out performing Calivin’s rookie stats. When we drafted him, I thought to myself that we might have drafted Megatron’s clone. He is very similar in a lot of areas. Especially in downfield blocking. I am super stoked about DK’s future in Seattle.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":7z7f026k said:
jammerhawk":7z7f026k said:
Metcalf has played well for a rookie.

Correction, DK's played well for a receiver, forget the rookie part. He's on pace for 1,000 yards, 60+ receptions and 7-8 TD's.

On this team? That's a great year for any WR. Add in the fact that he's blocking assignment sound and his route running has improved dramatically over the course of the season, and DK's been a home run pick.

Yep. He needs ~73 ypg in his last four games to hit 1000. That's a great season for any receiver in this offense, but especially a rookie.

toffee

Reaction score
At this point, a 1000 yards rookie season is entirely possible. I am ready to declare the pick a success, good jobs Pete and John!

raisethe3

Reaction score
toffee":2c25ulbv said:
At this point, a 1000 yards rookie season is entirely possible. I am ready to declare the pick a success, good jobs Pete and John!

If he gets me 800 yards, I will be satisfied. (it was part of my bet with a friend, hehe).

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Best rookie receiver in the league. Change my mind. :2thumbs:

Mick063

Reaction score
He hasn't "dropped" many.

We are just accustomed to watching Baldwin and Lockett make impossible grabs. It is unfair to measure his hands at that level.

Elemas

Reaction score
MarylandHawk":2bizdyr5 said:
There is no "DK". There is only Decaf Metcalf.

Just read that DK partnered with a Georgia coffee company to package and sell "Decaf Metcalf" coffee with a portion of the proceeds going to a charity DK has been supporting (something involved with prison reform). I don't know all the details but, you have to be proud of this team and the way they conduct themselves.

It's been mentioned before but, Pete and JS have done an incredible job at clearing out "locker room cancers" (if you will).

This organization, and it's players, have to make you proud.

Back to DK....he is the best rookie WR. I feel like he's going to be a hall of famer... Bold statement...I know. Simply incredible.

I'm so grateful that he's a Hawk.

toffee

Reaction score
Elemas":ec5cjkfa said:
MarylandHawk":ec5cjkfa said:
There is no "DK". There is only Decaf Metcalf.

Just read that DK partnered with a Georgia coffee company to package and sell "Decaf Metcalf" coffee with a portion of the proceeds going to a charity DK has been supporting (something involved with prison reform). I don't know all the details but, you have to be proud of this team and the way they conduct themselves.

It's been mentioned before but, Pete and JS have done an incredible job at clearing out "locker room cancers" (if you will).

This organization, and it's players, have to make you proud.

Back to DK....he is the best rookie WR. I feel like he's going to be a hall of famer... Bold statement...I know. Simply incredible.

I'm so grateful that he's a Hawk.

HOF QB throw to HOF WR? Like Montana - Rice, Young - Rice, Owens, Brady - Moss, Aikman - Irvin, Bradshaw - Swann/Stallworth? If DK could develop into a HOF caliber WR, we the 12s will have a wonderful half a decade of football to enjoy.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":fxq5up2b said:
Best rookie receiver in the league. Change my mind. :2thumbs:

Here's one for you.

3ituxc.jpg

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Mick063":9eq62ls5 said:
He hasn't "dropped" many.

We are just accustomed to watching Baldwin and Lockett make impossible grabs. It is unfair to measure his hands at that level.

DK is within a few yards of passing Baldwin for 2nd on ALL TIME franchise list for rookie production. I will NEVER slight Baldwin, who will always be one of my fave Seahawks, but DK is forging a legacy of his own and he's just getting started. Can't recall exact numbers at the moment but I think he only needs a couple hundred more yards to become our best rookie ever in terms of yards gained in his rookie year. It's substantial, but doable. I think if he doesn't get that 2nd spot EARLY in our next game something is bad wrong.