Does Bevell stay or does he go? (ALL Bevell talk HERE)

rastahawk

Reaction score
I wanted him gone two seasons ago. He always a major factor in our losses. Then he went and did it again on the biggest stage the game has to offer. Brady sat there on the sidelines helpless as we plowed our way on to the one yard line. Then Bevell gifts him a fourth ring with a monumental disaster of a call. How ignorant can you be of at such a critical point in time. I'm not sure why people are over thinking it. This is who he is. Time and time again.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
By the way, aren't we about to lose Quinn? Do we really want to lose an OC and DC in one fell swoop?

Ambrose83

Reaction score
He needs to go.. he's soft... anytime we get a 2 score lead how goes ultra conservative and we punt punt punt... yet when we really need point we March right down the field!! He has zero killer instinct. . We had 3 drives to go up 27-31 -14 and we shit the bed on all 3... he assumes our d will hold them..... almost every loss is the same way.

Jiggy

Reaction score
I think he should be let go... but not just for the bad call. But for also calling Lockette out. That's the kind of move that will make a coach lose the locker room.

A

Anonymous

StorytellerMatt":1rnrl0ei said:
By the way, aren't we about to lose Quinn? Do we really want to lose an OC and DC in one fell swoop?

It could be done.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":qmwip0r0 said:
Here is how I think it goes down:
Enough players voice their displeasure, and enough of the front office people are sufficiently annoyed with Bevell, so Pete the coach gives his support to Bevell, but Schneider decides he wants Bevell gone and then Pete Carrol THE PRESIDENT decides that he doesn't want to overrule/veto his deputy (schneid) so Bevell is let go by Schneider.

We don't need Bevell to run the read-option. We can do all the GOOD things weve been doing without bevell. By replacing him we are almost guaranteed to get someone who is smarter and doesn't throw Super Bowls away.

Bring in a better WR, improve the OL a little, bring in a KR/PR , and get rid of Bevell, and add a little depth. That would be a fine offseason

Yup! We can easily replace Bevell. Russell isn't some delicate flower that will fall apart if he leaves. Carl Smith is doing just fine with QB coaching, and Russell can easily acclimate to any differences a new OC might bring.

hawk45

Reaction score
Calling Lockette out is a punk move alright, but Bevell should be gone for finally doing what he has threatened to do his entire time here: cost us everything by outsmarting himself.

Brock Huard argued that Bevell actually got the one-on-one matchups he wanted. Salk's response quite obviously was, your play design depended upon Jermaine Kearse fighting through Brandon Browner? There is more to the game than simple numbers you must account for personnel. Bevell constantly, constantly, fails to do this. This was evident on a play earlier in the year where Brock defended a bubble screen for similar reasons and once again that play hinged on an undersized WR (think that might have been Kearse also) winning a one-on-one matchup vs. a larger and stronger defender.

If Bevell was outnumbered but held a heavily-fortified position he would open the gates and signal the charge because "they'd never expect it" and he has a child's grasp of what tactical genius looks like. He is enamored with the value of surprise to the point where he doesn't place enough value on simplicity and catering to strength of personnel.

It's our fault, really. He has been crying out for help since he's been here but we haven't listened. He tried it earlier in the season in the red zone many times, but he made the mistake of calling plays where Russell had time to see that the 3-WR-in-a-phonebooth routes weren't working, escape from the pocket, and go sandlot. Frustrated and frantic to get us to just answer his pleas for help, Bevell finally designed a quick-hitting play that didn't allow to do anything but pull the trigger quickly. When they make the movie version of this season it'll be called "Bevell's triumph," because he finally overcame his great running back and Houdini quarterback and delivered that loss he so desperately wanted.

Hawkee

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1ktheyae said:
bjornanderson21":1ktheyae said:
Here is how I think it goes down:
Enough players voice their displeasure, and enough of the front office people are sufficiently annoyed with Bevell, so Pete the coach gives his support to Bevell, but Schneider decides he wants Bevell gone and then Pete Carrol THE PRESIDENT decides that he doesn't want to overrule/veto his deputy (schneid) so Bevell is let go by Schneider.

We don't need Bevell to run the read-option. We can do all the GOOD things weve been doing without bevell. By replacing him we are almost guaranteed to get someone who is smarter and doesn't throw Super Bowls away.

Bring in a better WR, improve the OL a little, bring in a KR/PR , and get rid of Bevell, and add a little depth. That would be a fine offseason

Yup! We can easily replace Bevell. Russell isn't some delicate flower that will fall apart if he leaves. Carl Smith is doing just fine with QB coaching, and Russell can easily acclimate to any differences a new OC might bring.

This. ^^^ And I wouldn't mind if it was a run-heavy OC, either. It was the identity of the offense and that was forgotten at the most critical moment.

Polaris

Reaction score
Like I said elsewhere, I am not normally one to call for someone's head based on one bad game or bad play, but this is an exception (even if Bevell had been stellar before...which he has not been). Sometimes a decision and the consequences of it are so obviously and *egregiously* bad, that you have to fire them. Otherwise you lose all sense of accountability by everyone else in the organization.

A

Anonymous

I think that as long as the QB coach stays put, we'll be set to try somebody new at OC without difficulty.

How about Bevell's HC opportunities now?

Crabhawk

Reaction score
I think if the front office wants him gone, he will be given a chance to resign and save face. PC has already shown he's a good leader like that. There's a couple of reasons I think he has to go aside from the final offensive play.

First, he has been inconsistent at best during his three years here. Not everything he's done has been bad, but it's felt average. It doesn't feel like he's been able to consistently game plan around opposing teams' weaknesses. Games that do break open seem to break open because play makers like Russ and Marshawn willing it to happen (or our D creating scoring opportunities), not because our scheme has exploited the other team.

Second, whether or not Lockette could have and should have gone at that slant harder, as a leader, you must deflect that question back on the coaching staff. I don't think he said it in spite to throw Lockette under the bus, but it sounded horrible. The team was already raw and expressing a lack of confidence in the call. The worse possible thing a leader can do in that situation is put the blame back on the player. Even if it was 100% Lockette or Wilson's fault, which it wasn't, it's terrible leadership to call out a guy like that. It will be hard to repair that with the locker room.

Passing on that down wasn't a big deal for me. It's the play call itself that was frustrating. We had other options for pass plays there, options which would have been safer and mitigated any risk at all for an interception. And it's not just that one play; I don't think Bevell called a good game in general. There were a few times early in the game where I was baffled to see Walters on the field in a critical down. I can't remember our TEs have any impact at all. Very little RO, and I didn't see any RO with a pass wrinkle. The offense went full Packers at the end of the 3rd once we were up by 10. In short, the game summed up everything Bevell is - baffling and inconsistent.

Donn2390

Reaction score
That call was the worst screw up in the history of the SB, something Bevell will never live down. I would think if he has any pride he would resign....

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Donn2390":l1u8q8ju said:
That call was the worst screw up in the history of the SB, something Bevell will never live down. I would think if he has any pride he would resign....

its really not.

but its cool to think it is.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm traveling so if somebody could send me a text when Bevell gets fired, that would be great. I'll expect the text by the end of the day.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Overall I think Bevell stays. At this point I don't think I will care either way if he stays or goes. He is a relatively young OC so he will continue to get better, and he "learned his lesson" on possibly the biggest stage there is. It was very painful, and of course I wish it would have been avoided, but do you ever think he makes the same mistake again with how big of a consequence it had? At the same time though, I consider that play call and his lack of performance throughout the season as a fire-able offense. I don't consider him to be that good, but I think his chemistry with Wilson, and the fact that he has called semi-operable game plans with UDFA WR's, and a crappy o-line will keep him around. Overall its Caroll's system and he probably Bevell does enough to stick around.

Polaris

Reaction score
HawkGA":30z3hkea said:
I'm traveling so if somebody could send me a text when Bevell gets fired, that would be great. I'll expect the text by the end of the day.

I don't think it would be a good idea to fire Bevell today. That would look too much like scapegoating (deserved or not). That said I do think that it Bevell needs to be 'let go' within the week, or Pete is going to lose his entire locker room and any sense of accountability. It would be preferable if Bevell fell on his own sword and simply resigned rather than being fired.