Does Bevell stay or does he go? (ALL Bevell talk HERE)

Polaris

Reaction score
bbsplitter":20rw3fp0 said:
Overall I think Bevell stays. At this point I don't think I will care either way if he stays or goes. He is a relatively young OC so he will continue to get better, and he "learned his lesson" on possibly the biggest stage there is. It was very painful, and of course I wish it would have been avoided, but do you ever think he makes the same mistake again with how big of a consequence it had? At the same time though, I consider that play call and his lack of performance throughout the season as a fire-able offense. I don't consider him to be that good, but I think his chemistry with Wilson, and the fact that he has called semi-operable game plans with UDFA WR's, and a crappy o-line will keep him around. Overall its Caroll's system and he probably Bevell does enough to stick around.

I hope he doesn't simply because some mistakes are so bad that you have to hang for them, or any sense of accountability within the organization is gone. If Bevell is allowed to keep his job, I don't think Pete can keep his locker room, and this team implodes next season (or even before).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It'll depend on if Bevell still has the locker room.

If guys like Russell, Marshawn, Doug, etc still have his back, then he'll stay. But if Carroll gets the bad vibes through talking to his offensive players that Bevell's lost the faith of his players.............then he's gone.

hawk45

Reaction score
Bevell has "learned his lesson" in high profile situations before. We see what it costs us to assume that his fundamental nature has changed. Pretty much everything.

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
We don't have a choice. He has to go. That call singlehandedly cost us the Super Bowl and he will never regain the trust of his players or the fans. Whether he deserves to remain as OC doesn't matter at this point - he's lost the locker room.

I've always believed that the Seahawks win DESPITE his playcalling, not BECAUSE of his playcalling.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
original poster":2b7fjvie said:
He has to go but I do have a concern about who would be able to replace him.

Will RW gel with the new OC?
Will the rest of the offence respect him?
Will he work well with us?

There are a lot of questions and it certainly isn't as simple as simply firing him and we become a better offence overall.

It's offenSe, and as far as RW gelling with a new Coach?, he's done extremely good with whichever Coach that he's played for in the past.
Wilson puts in a lot of hours per day at getting better, and I have the remotest doubt that he wouldn't be just as apt to pick up another system and flourish.
Here's a question for ya, has it occurred to you, that Bevell just might be holding Russell Wilson back from becoming an even better Quarterback?
IF the Seahawks Offense is geared around the Run The Ball First mentality, why would you buck the trend, and put the ball in the air, up for grabs at the most crucial time and in the biggest game of the Decade.
That's not in Pete's "Ball Control" philosophy, and that's precisely why he went out and got Marshawn Lynch, drafted Turbin, & then Michaels.
Do you maybe think that the rest of the team isn't begrudging Bevel for multiple lunk headed play calls?
As Chuck Knox used to say, "You Dance With The One Who Brung Ya", Marshawn took it to the one Yard line, and you turn your back on him?
FIRE BEVELL!!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SeatownJay":177teck2 said:
Unfortunately, the only way I see Pete firing Bevell is if he feels keeping him will lose him the locker room. If players start questioning if they want to play for Bevell, or on the same team as him, going forward then Pete will have no choice but to fire him.
That's the issue given that everybody current players included did and do question him. As somebody living out of market this is what is being reported and if even half true he needs to go but the problem is I don't believe Pete will do it. Everybody that I've talked to that watched the game are literally in shock about not handing the ball to the guy they couldn't stop to save their lives (Marshawn).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Austin Hawk":ncpy5ss1 said:
We don't have a choice. He has to go. That call singlehandedly cost us the Super Bowl and he will never regain the trust of his players or the fans. Whether he deserves to remain as OC doesn't matter at this point - he's lost the locker room.

I've always believed that the Seahawks win DESPITE his playcalling, not BECAUSE of his playcalling.

i dont disagree with this.

while i dont think Bevell's play call at the end should define the team or his legacy, can this team truly function next year with him as OC?

it started with a fractured locker room because of overplaying Harvin, now this.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
How many times in the past three seasons have you said, "The offense won this game for us!".

We have a great QB and a great stable of running backs. We also have an offense that has to be carried by the Defense and ST.

Send Bevell (and a draft pick if need be) to Arizona!

AVL

Reaction score
Start at the top or STFU.

This all falls on Carroll. if he chooses to get a new OC I will be elated. I kind of like Pete, warts and all.

HawkerD

Reaction score
It will virtually be up to Russ. If your about to give Russ a long term deal at 20+ per then he has to have a large say. If Pete can sell him on someone else Bevell is gone, otherwise he stays. Russ will be thinking about it from a team perspective so it is not just about him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Kamcussionator":3eppepdy said:
How many times in the past three seasons have you said, "The offense won this game for us!".!

The offense has won for us plenty of times, Russel has 10 4th quarter comebacks and 15 game winning drives already, in 3 yrs......including 2 weeks ago in the NFC Championship game. So I don't get this comment, at all.

I hate Bevell as much as anyone today, but football is a team game, plenty of blame to go around yesterday......on both sides of the ball.

McGruff

Reaction score
Kamcussionator":1nfcs5gi said:
How many times in the past three seasons have you said, "The offense won this game for us!".

We have a great QB and a great stable of running backs. We also have an offense that has to be carried by the Defense and ST.

Send Bevell (and a draft pick if need be) to Arizona!

You don't hear that said because PETE doesn't believe it.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Bevell talk huh? Since he showed up, we went 7-9 with TJ, then with Wilson, 11-5 + 1-1, 13-3 + 3-0, and 12-4 + 2-1. 2 SB appearances with a 1-1 record. (should be 2-0 in the SB) Yep, total replacement candidate.
So close to New England numbers it is scary.

BUT, ask yourselves this. Is there another OC candidate who would be willing to work under our system.

First, you need to call the game the way PC wants you to.

Second, you are basically just a playcaller, not a total OC as Cable is the assistant HC, O-line coach and running game coordinator.

Seems to me Bevell has tons of responsibility, with limited authority. Not exactly a glamorous position to be in.

If we as a team are gonna throw tons of money at RW, just exactly WHEN, do we allow our so called OC to turn loose the dogs and get after things? When do we try to field a dynamic knock you on your butt offense to complement our super defense?

Not gonna make excuses for Bevell. He has his good and bad points, however, sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. Maybe, just maybe, we should can Cable, hire another line coach, the just let Bevell loose.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Going to be a lot of disappointed posters around here because Bevell's seat isn't even remotely hot.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
soxhawk":1xxegppv said:
WTH? Lockette was open! We just got beat. It sucks so bad but the fact is we have no wr that scares teams. I thought it was a horse dung call at the time but after reading the scenario, it was more about execution than the play call.
Poor execution of a poor play call.
Run it with Lynch and we celebrate back to back Super Bowls.

Regardless of execution it was the wrong call. Even with good execution it is the wrong call.

The only correct answer is to run.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
seedhawk":kl37mpfg said:
Bevell talk huh? Since he showed up, we went 7-9 with TJ, then with Wilson, 11-5 + 1-1, 13-3 + 3-0, and 12-4 + 2-1. 2 SB appearances with a 1-1 record. (should be 2-0 in the SB) Yep, total replacement candidate.

BUT, ask yourselves this. Is there another OC candidate who would be willing to work under our system.

First, you need to call the game the way PC wants you to.

Second, you are basically just a playcaller, not a total OC as Cable is the assistant HC, O-line coach and running game coordinator.

Seems to me Bevell has tons of responsibility, with limited authority. Not exactly a glamorous position to be in.

If we as a team are gonna throw tons of money at RW, just exactly WHEN, do we allow our so called OC to turn loose the dogs and get after things? When do we try to field a dynamic knock you on your butt offense to complement our super defense?

Not gonna make excuses for Bevell. He has his good and bad points, however, sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. Maybe, just maybe, we should can Cable, hire another line coach, the just let Bevell loose.
The devil we know cost us the super bowl.

A devil we don't know probably would have called a run play.

The devil we know sucks ass. No reason to fear the unknown.

hawk45

Reaction score
seedhawk":vwlhd81g said:

Not this again.

Yeah and the defense was #1 under Gus Bradley. OMG whatever will we do if he leaves??? Oh...er...number one again.

Anyone who believes Bevell is the reason our passing game functions isn't watching. Especially in the red zone, Russ gets the snap, looks up to see that the 3 WRs Bevell sent into a 5 square yard area are blanketed as expected, escapes the pocket, and throws to a TE who isn't even supposed to be in a route but decided maybe he'd better give Russ an outlet because his OC is too stupid to do so.