Does Bevell stay or does he go? (ALL Bevell talk HERE)

A

Anonymous

It is obvious to me that the coaches all had thoughts that contributed to a plan to get into the endzone while consuming as much clock as possible. It is also obvious to me that those choices turned out not to work.

Does it mean a head or two needs to roll?

All second-guessing aside, that DB made a play, Lockette should have attempted to reach out instead of attempting to cradle it, and going old-school and pounding it. regardless of the defensive personnel.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
As much as I want him gone to satisfy my frustration, I don't think Carroll will drop the hammer on Bevell.

I believe they should have run the damn ball until they ran out of time or downs, but after seeing multiple replays of the play, the execution was poor on the part of Wilson, Lockette and Kearse.

It's one of those crap things that happens and it happened to us.

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
You cannot pin the final play of the SB on Bevell. If you fire Bevell because of that then you'd be 1) illogical, and 2) wrong. The decision to pass on 2nd down was a) good clock management, and b) was needed to be cleared by Pete ultimately.

Russell had never been picked on a play like that previously - so one could assume that if the play didn't work it should in all likelihood end incomplete and then the Hawks run two final plays.

The decisions that ALL the coaching staff made on that final series were sound. In the end RW made a slightly off throw but more importantly the CB made a great play due to instinct and excellent game preparation.

So no...do not fire Bevell based on that final call.

But if you want to fire him for other things done previously then that's different.

soxhawk

Reaction score
WTH? Lockette was open! We just got beat. It sucks so bad but the fact is we have no wr that scares teams. I thought it was a horse dung call at the time but after reading the scenario, it was more about execution than the play call.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
soxhawk":3f6qebzk said:
WTH? Lockette was open! We just got beat. It sucks so bad but the fact is we have no wr that scares teams. I thought it was a horse dung call at the time but after reading the scenario, it was more about execution than the play call.
Except he was not open. We tried to run it against Brandon Browner. He had seen it and practiced against it a hundred times. Go back and look at that still. He knew all he had to do was stop Kearse from picking Butler. Bait taken.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2yovnumv said:
soxhawk":2yovnumv said:
Except we tried to run it against Brandon Browner.

Yup, BB and Butler played it perfectly....because they knew exactly what was coming.

kjreid

Reaction score
let's face it, Bevell is staying, we are a defensive team so anyone that become the OC will get the same punishment as Bevell AND WHAT HAS HE DONE? Oh, had an offense that made the divisional game 2 years ago, won the super bowl last year and made the super bowl this year, where he had a 100 yd rusher and a 275 yd passer with 2 TD's. Yeah, he has been so horrible that he couldn't be part of the Raiders Franchise. he makes some dumb a** calls throughout a game but he has been real solid on the overal philoshy of this team. The only game that I saw that the offense played outside themsleves was the Green Bay game two weeks ago when all of a sudden we were going to be a passing team, adjustments were made and the Seahawks came back. I wouldn't mind seeing him go but if he doesn't (which I don't see) then he is fine as the OC.

LTH

Reaction score
I think he should stay... He is a great OC that made a bad mistake...We are all human and we all make mistakes...that one was just really hard!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
LTH":v6y2mow7 said:
I think he should stay... He is a great OC that made a bad mistake...We are all human and we all make mistakes...that one was just really hard!
Tom's mom? Is that you?

Tom is so mediocre, he puts the flavor in water. If he had the balls to acquire a single flavor, he could step all the way up to vanilla. He calls a high school playbook with the talent of a middle school coach, and a plain desire to get a head coaching job. He reeks of "they will know I am brilliant if I pull this off!"

Always compete. Which means Tom should be out of a job. But, he probably won't be.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":x8in8vk4 said:
LTH":x8in8vk4 said:
Tom's mom? Is that you?

Tom is so mediocre, he puts the flavor in water. If he had the balls to acquire a single flavor, he could step all the way up to vanilla. He calls a high school playbook with the talent of a middle school coach, and a plain desire to get a head coaching job. He reeks of "they will know I am brilliant if I pull this off!"

Always compete. Which means Tom should be out of a job. But, he probably won't be.

Who's Tom?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2re3ul0w said:
Scottemojo":2re3ul0w said:
LTH":2re3ul0w said:
Tom's mom? Is that you?

Who's Tom?
It's what I call Darell when I am so pissed I can't remember his name.

Sadly, I have called him tom a bunch of times before.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
LTH":2xtsbvfk said:
It's not just one mistake, though. That call at the end of the Super Bowl is just the latest. This has been a recurring theme throughout his entire time in Seattle. He overthinks things. He overcomplicates the playcalling. He tries too hard to get "cute" and outsmart the other team and it usually fails. With maybe two or three exceptions, there is at least one or two plays or series where everyone goes "What the hell is Bevell thinking?". Why do you think Seattle always has trouble with the play clock when we get near the redzone? It's because Bevell starts calling plays that his own players aren't expecting so it takes them longer to figure out what the hell is going on and get lined up. It also means Russ has less time than normal to call a check or audible when the defense figures it out.

I don't want Bevell gone for one bad call in the Super Bowl. I want him gone for three years of bad calls.

A

Anonymous

Folks, please confine ALL Bevell thoughts in this thread.

Thanks!

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Pete needs to fire him, but I don't think he will. Firing him would send a message that he is angry that Bevell cost the team a ring. It would also show that he understand Lynch is more valuable than a mediocre coach. But I'm guessing Pete will stubbornly keep him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":39brapn4 said:
Pete needs to fire him, but I don't think he will. Firing him would send a message that he is angry that Bevell cost the team a ring. It would also show that he understand Lynch is more valuable than a mediocre coach. But I'm guessing Pete will stubbornly keep him.

if the pass is incomplete and Lynch scores the next play, where are we all at with him?

He seemed to call a great game last night, until the very end.

pehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":438ykuk1 said:
Missing_Clink":438ykuk1 said:

if the pass is incomplete and Lynch scores the next play, where are we all at with him?

He seemed to call a great game last night, until the very end.

No he did not call a great game, at all. There's more routes than goes. There's no need to go empty on 2nd and short and/or 3rd and short. On far too many key plays he went away from strengths to try and out guru everyone. Mathews showed up, yeah, still doesn't excuse doing that when you could really dictate via the run game.

He called a Bevell game.