DREAM DRAFT and OFF-SEASON ROSTERBATION!!!

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
your arguments can go either way my friend. But I agree wholeheartedly DB adds a specific value to this team, i just dont think he makes or breaks this team on the kind of level youre saying. No taunt needed man, we are all on the same team and I think you misunderstand my attitude towards this from all the grief ive give ya :twisted: , I wouldnt mind seeing DB locked up for a REASONABLE deal at all, i just dont think it would be wise to sign both db and tate, its either or. i really have no desire to be proved right or wrong, i consider db worth signing under 5-6 million/year, once youre hitting 5-6 mill i will cringe and thats been my only point against signing db over tate, is my pure and admittedly speculation of whos more likely to stay for much more affordable, its the money ball system, who will add more wins and how much are you paying for each win, no one will know till we see how their contracts/careers play out. im also part of the minority that thinks db possibly wants to play somewhere he will get more touches. really has nothing to do with blatantly not wanting him.

you can surely taunt me if they sign rice and he plays a vital role next year, ill have major crow to eat if hes one of our teams mvps next year lol. im extremely against resigning him, people want to save 5 mill on cutting guys like miller than spend 3 mill a year on rice, youre saving 2 mill and a roster spot on a guy who has proven to add significantly less value than any other full time starter on this roster given the fact that hes never healthy. youd be killing the development of players you can actually count on for maybe one little boost he provides, only to have to re adjust your offense once he goes down, not good for offensive continuity at all imo.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I really felt unique DB-only plays were the difference in 2 wins this last season. Yeah, we agree on most of the stuff. It forced me to take a closer look at the possible Tate vs. Baldwin decision. I love Tate's game. Love DB's game too. Kearse stepping up was *awesome*. Our pedestrian WR's consistently stepped up and made game-winning plays for us. That 4th down TD to Kearse vs. 49ers... that was the play of the season. All 4 WR's saw the offsides and instantly adjusted their routes--mentally alert, on the same page, awesome. Championship play.

Can't argue too much on your logic with Rice. I had in mind we might release him and sign him to a much smaller 1-year prove-it deal. Dude's good when he's healthy, which isn't often enough, but he's not dominant at a level to match his paycheck. The downside is it seems to take most young WR's 2 years to develop to be NFL-quality. I think we all expect Pete & John to go after some big-target physically dominant WR types in the draft and free agency.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
Really good discussion about our WRs here.

Wanted to refocus the discussion onto the prospects mentioned in this thread.

How do you guys feel about Niklas? Not enough of a "wow" player? As Kearly would put it.

I came away very impressed after watching the tape that was posted here. He really shows his wares in the second half of the cut-up. While not a "wow" athlete, I think he displays plenty of the "grit" that Pete Carroll values on this team.

---
In retrospect, I think a prospect like Andrew Lue is a UDFA, at best. However, I do think he fits exactly what the Hawks are looking for... a cheap developmental project that has the tools and attitude to be a member of the LOB.

The other Canadian, tackle prospect Laurent Duvernay-Tardif also looks like a great fit on this team. He is a medical student so he is obviously very bright. He also has a bit of that mean streak that were looking for.... just look at the game tape on his page. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1279374/l ... nay-tardif

He is either pancaking or driving his assignment about 20 yards up the field on every play. This guy finishes every time. I think he could be a steal in the late rounds.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
A lot of people focus on sefari and company, but niklas is a name I've brought up multiple times, just a monster that seems to move well as well. I'm not sure if he has The wow factor or not, but Imo te isn't something we need a flashy player for and he is plenty physically imposing to impress me. If it's a matter of asj In the first or Nikklas in the second I think it could be a much better value for our use to choose the latter.

Using that same argument what about fiedorowics? Seems to be a comparable athlete we could end up getting In the 4th, if the drop off between him and the other guys isn't too much that would leave us with our first 2 picks to go else where and still give us good value, haven't watched him play much at all but apparently he was primarily a blocker his freshman year so he may have the type of skill set we need while still being able to move well. Any of our these guys would provide an immediate upgrade of athleticism to Miller and cap relief at the very least. Although I personally would prefer to keep Miller another year if possible.

Seems like a decent year for TEs, not a bad year to pick one up for good value.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
CJF looks like an excellent blocker but there's nothing exciting about his pass catching ability. I think if were hoping for a well rounded player, Niklas is our guy. That's not to say that CJF wouldn't be a great value as a day 3 pick.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Meh, so basically a slightly faster zach miller? Or at least the seahawk version of zach? It's probably moot point anyways cause cjf falling to the 4th could be wishful thinking, may come down to who's available to us more than anything.

I actually really like the nikklas idea, dudes a monster, just throwing out other options that could be available pending on how the board falls. You think he can be got at the end of the 2nd Or is this a 1st round thought?

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
Mr.Hawkbrah":369j5bck said:
Meh, so basically a slightly faster zach miller? Or at least the seahawk version of zach? It's probably moot point anyways cause cjf falling to the 4th could be wishful thinking, may come down to who's available to us more than anything.

I actually really like the nikklas idea, dudes a monster, just throwing out other options that could be available pending on how the board falls. You think he can be got at the end of the 2nd Or is this a 1st round thought?

I think end of 2nd sounds about right. That's where Vance McDonald went last draft and I think they are similar prospects with Niklas possessing better pass catching chops and Vance being a slightly better athlete.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
Some blurbs on Canadian tackle prospect Laurent Duvernay-Tardif:

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif from McGill had a very nice morning. The right tackle has natural flexibility in his knees and ankles, and he’s got very big hands. He knows how to use those hands too; his punch isn’t great but he can latch on with those big mitts and fend off rip or cut moves. West Virginia DE Will Clarke tried an inside spin but the Canadian stayed engaged and low in his stance, easily fending him off.

I wasn’t the only one who noticed his play:

T Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (McGill) #CIS is having an outstanding practice today. Doing great in OL/DL

— Emory Hunt (@FBallGameplan) January 15, 2014

Emory, if you're out there reading this, can you give us a bit more color on what you saw?

Also, several teams showed interest including the Cards, 9ers, Jets, Texans, Titans, Packers and Bears. He was interviewed by the Cards and 9ers at the East-West Shrine Game.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
Canadian right tackle Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is a very physical player that mixed it up with East Carolina defensive end Derrell Johnson. The 6-foot-5, 315-pound Duvernay-Tardif muscled Johnson around when he was rushing from the left side in one-on-one pass rushing drills. When Johnson went to the right side of the defensive line he used his quickness to his advantage with greater success.

Duvernay-Tardif also got physical and showed a mean streak against Purdue defensive lineman Bruce Gaston, Jr. as the two briefly scuffled after a drill.

https://www.pewterreport.com/index.php? ... tices-1-15

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, OT, McGill, Height 6050, Weight, 321

Duvernay-Tardif first caught my attention when I attended the Montreal at McGill game during the 2013 season and I was excited to see him at the East-West Game. Historically, offensive linemen who played college football in Canada really struggle at all-star games as they have trouble adjusting to not having the one yard buffer between the offensive and defensive lines. However, it was clear from the first practice that he had spent time preparing for this change and handled it remarkably well. His foot quickness and flexibility are both NFL starting caliber and combined with his ability to take coaching and improve throughout the week, I believe he is an outstanding developmental prospect with a real opportunity to become a starter in the NFL.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/66785894

10. T Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, McGil - Along with Dozier and Leno Jr., Duvernay-Tardif was the only offensive lineman to consistently display knee bend and good lower body athleticism to mirror. He held up better than many big school prospects.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... ine-review

5. One of the more pleasant surprises here has been McGill offensive tackle Laurent Duvernay-Tardif. I had never heard of the Canadian before this week, but he has proven he belongs. Predominately playing right tackle, he’s proven to be technically sound and surprisingly adept at handling both speed and power. Most Canadians who have been here have been either not quite athletic enough or technically raw, but in two days of watching him pretty intently I’ve seem neither issue with Duvernay-Tardif. Others have noticed as well, including his opponents on the D-line, who have had nothing but good things to say about him. One prospect from a major BCS conference told me he’s the best tackle he’s ever played against. Keep him in mind on the draft’s third day and hope your team takes a flyer on him.

http://football.realgm.com/src_article/ ... rine_week/

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
Tardif has reported met with 25 teams.

CFL combine Mar 21-23

He also repped 225lbs 37 times

[youtube]I2xF8u-hVSU[/youtube]

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
SDHawk":x81sxxai said:
Canadian right tackle Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is a very physical player that mixed it up with East Carolina defensive end Derrell Johnson. The 6-foot-5, 315-pound Duvernay-Tardif muscled Johnson around when he was rushing from the left side in one-on-one pass rushing drills. When Johnson went to the right side of the defensive line he used his quickness to his advantage with greater success.

Duvernay-Tardif also got physical and showed a mean streak against Purdue defensive lineman Bruce Gaston, Jr. as the two briefly scuffled after a drill.

https://www.pewterreport.com/index.php? ... tices-1-15

Really intriguing prospect, seen him talked about as a third rounder but without being able to judge him against stronger competition that has to be way out?

Still, tough to put a grade on this guy, will be an interesting prospect to follow for sure.