Drew Locks future

The Twelvethman

Reaction score
With the recent emergence of Geno Smith as a legitimately good starting QB, now playing in his 10th season & having been doubted by many this offseason if not a lot of his professional career, could Drew Lock be the next Geno?

After all he has the best person in front of him to follow.

With the way both QBs were laughed at by many fans and media at being the starter after the departure of Wilson, they both had the backing of a super positive HC.

Hopefully this team environment, support and coaching can help another player show what he can really do.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
With the recent emergence of Geno Smith as a legitimately good starting QB, now playing in his 10th season & having been doubted by many this offseason if not a lot of his professional career, could Drew Lock be the next Geno?

After all he has the best person in front of him to follow.

With the way both QBs were laughed at by many fans and media at being the starter after the departure of Wilson, they both had the backing of a super positive HC.

Hopefully this team environment, support and coaching can help another player show what he can really do.
You have to think he was included in the trade package for more than just a backup role. He’s embraced it well and could be a great 3 year understudy given he’s still a young player with above average arm talent. Geno beat him out though and will remain the starter for the next 3 years guaranteed.

toffee

Reaction score
Geno may be showing Lock how he followed Pete's doctrine of protect the ball at all cost, he is playing with high completion percentage and low INTs, both were Lock's weaknesses. We haven't been leading in large enough margin by 3rd quarter, quite sure Pete would like to play Lock some in those situation and gauge the progress of Lock.

If Geno's asking price is too high and competition for his service too strong, Pete might just turn to Lock. If Lock has learned enough on how to play protect the ball.

Own The West

Reaction score
Lock lacks discipline imho. His feet are sloppy and it affects his accuracy too. He's made several statements about "being a gunslinger" or "just throwing it around the yard like at Missouri" which reinforces my opinion that he doesn't really understand what's going on, but simply reacts to what he sees.

My thinking is that he needs more development to gain consistency and understanding of the game. So in that regard, I agree with the OP that he may become another Geno.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
If Geno's asking price is too high and competition for his service too strong, Pete might just turn to Lock. If Lock has learned enough on how to play protect the ball.
yeaaaaaa.... I'd need to see some reps on that first ;) (which is generally what you said) -

renofox

Reaction score
I have a feeling Lock will be the starter next year.

With our cap structure over the next few years, signing Geno will probably restrict the teams ability to plug holes with suitable free agents enough to negatively impact the team more than re-signing him will positively impact the team (in PCJS's eyes).

Unless Geno's play falls off a cliff or he gives a 50% hometown discount, PCJS will probably roll with Lock next year.

If that's the case let's hope Lock is making great progress being coached up this year.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Geno may be showing Lock how he followed Pete's doctrine of protect the ball at all cost, he is playing with high completion percentage and low INTs, both were Lock's weaknesses. We haven't been leading in large enough margin by 3rd quarter, quite sure Pete would like to play Lock some in those situation and gauge the progress of Lock.

Id say that when one or the other team are say ahead or behind by three scores that it makes sense to play your backup. Kyle Shanahan and Josh McDaniels both did this. I believe Reid did too.

Pete should be more open to when garbage time is and insert Lock into said situations.

Last edited:

hawks85

Reaction score
You have to think he was included in the trade package for more than just a backup role. He’s embraced it well and could be a great 3 year understudy given he’s still a young player with above average arm talent. Geno beat him out though and will remain the starter for the next 3 years guaranteed.
3 years? Not that long. Probably next year and that's it. Geno is in his 30's now.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
3 years? Not that long. Probably next year and that's it. Geno is in his 30's now.
And he’s in the best shape of his life. You should listen to Mark Sanchez take regarding how Geno reshaped his body from his rookie days with the Jets it’s pretty compelling. 32 isn’t old for quarterbacks with arm talent

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Geno's 32 plenty of QBs play past 35, see who is in the league now:
Brady 45 OK I don't epect Geno to be playing in 2035
Rodgers 39 Possibly he has started to decline possibly he is missing Adams but he is 7 years older than Geno
Flacco 37 Suffered injuries in 2018 and 2019 and struggled to get a starting role since not clear if the decline is fue to injury or age
Hoyer 37 A career back-up I see no evidence he has declined in the last 5 years
Ryan 37 Hasn't played as well this season as he did with the Falcons, could be change of team or age but as 35 he was as good as ever
Daniel 36 Another career back-up Haven't seen much of him but the Chargers are still happy with him holding the clipboard which is all he has ever done.

While we laugh at the Broncos signing Wilson at the age of 34 he is on a 7 year contract which is pretty much impossible to get out of for 3 years, if it was standard for players retire at around his age they wouldn't have done that.

Most of the players above have also taken a lot more hits than Geno.

For Geno to end his career after next season his performance would have to fall off a cliff or he would have to suffer a career, unless he is franchised tagged someone will sign hi to at least a 3 year contract possibly 5 (with no guaranteed money in years 4 & 5)

Mick063

Reaction score
Quarterback careers are lasting longer for three reasons:

1) Rule changes that protect their body.
2) A dearth of competency at the position
3) Brady and Stafford have realigned modern conventional wisdom about bringing in aging veterans when all the other pieces are in place. Actually, this is a cyclic phenomenon that repeats itself about once per decade. John Hadl, Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, and Bret Farve are examples of this happening in the past. Those are the biggest names. There are countless other examples as well (Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers, etc.) This is precisely why Denver went down this rabbit hole, blinded by Brady/Stafford success without doing their due diligence.

One can claim that this works more often than not or alternatively that it doesn't work more often than not. That is beside the point and a distraction from the most important aspect. GMs with their job on the line will reach to save it and the fore mentioned examples demonstrate that. This is EXACTLY why Geno has played his way into a 4–5-year deal at a franchise tag scale. His agent will not settle for anything less as he bargains from a position of strength. Beginning with the fact that there is no draft pick compensation to acquire him. Beyond making cap room, you don't have to mortgage the future to get him. This is an absolutely HUGE part of the equation.

As a fan, if you naturally hope for Seahawk success then you must come to terms with the fact that this success will drive up Geno's worth. With every passing week of success, Geno's sticker price is going up. You would have to wish for the team to falter for that price to go down. In other words, if you believe the Seahawks are destined for great things this season, then prepare yourself for Geno's asking price to match that success.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
And he’s in the best shape of his life. You should listen to Mark Sanchez take regarding how Geno reshaped his body from his rookie days with the Jets it’s pretty compelling. 32 isn’t old for quarterbacks with arm talent
Especially a pocket passer with decent athleticism. Geno was a 4.58sec guy, he could a 4.95 sec guy when he's 38yo, which is still more than adequate, ie Brady's combine level of athleticism.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
And Brady is in his 40's so what's your point?
I'm not saying that Geno has hit Brady-esque play yet, BUT Geno has a hell of a lot less wear & tear and is about 14 years YOUNGER.
The NUMBERS reflect a highly competent Quarterback that is making excellent on the fly decisions, and as with ANY Drafted Quarterback, there is no guarantee for Geno-esque type of success either.
"Bird in The Hand"

NoChops

Reaction score
Geno is going from 3.5 million to 35 million a year unless the wheels fall off really quick. Lock will take 10-15 million for 2-3 years. We are still drafting a QB of the future next year kids.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Funny & true story: I had served six years in the Navy. At the age of 34, I tried to enlist in the Marine Corps... and then I turned 35. Long story very short, I managed to convince HQMC to give me a chance when their own regulations prohibited it. They sent me a letter explaining that they essentially subtracted my Navy time from my age, giving me a "reconstructed age" of 29. (Epilogue: I retired out of the Marine Corps in 2006.)

I believe that reconstructed age thing is true of Geno also. His birth certificate might say he's 32, but his knees and shoulders say he's 26.

Rainger

Reaction score
I don't believe Geno will go greed like RW. He doesnt have a goal of owning a team.

I also believe he knows he is very good in Pete's system. Maybe not in another teams. Bounced around too many times.

I believe he will give the team a friendly contract for sticking by him.

I believe he sees the possibility of a SB and isn't going to take more money elsewhere with a team not going to the SB.

I believe his body is 25 not 32 from riding the pines.

I believe the team will be going with him for next 3+ years but will draft a QB.

I believe Lock will be traded after that.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
Geno and Russ are one year apart, but I think Geno may last longer with his ability to play pocket passer, especially under PeteBall where he wouldn't have to throw 40 times a game. Our OL will keep improving in the next 2-3 years, which ought to be a welcoming note to Geno. If Geno could play at his current level for 2-4 years, that will give us the luxury of drafting a project with high ceiling to develop.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Up until thiis year, Geno was taking league minimum to be the backup. My guess is if Lock comes back, he's not getting paid much more than that, especially if Geno's price keeps going up.

Nunya

Reaction score
Unless someone comes calling with a lot of draft picks or Lock demands a trade, Lock will likely continue to learn in the backup role. If Geno goes down, Lock will step in like Geno did last year. If Geno asks for too much money or decides to retire, Lock will be the new starting QB....and we will probably be just as amazed at his abilities like we are with Geno's.

Rainger

Reaction score
Unless someone comes calling with a lot of draft picks or Lock demands a trade, Lock will likely continue to learn in the backup role. If Geno goes down, Lock will step in like Geno did last year. If Geno asks for too much money or decides to retire, Lock will be the new starting QB....and we will probably be just as amazed at his abilities like we are with Geno's.
Maybe this year, but Seattle WILL pick a top QB in the draft, mark my words, then Lock will need to compete to be the number 2.

LOL Retire????? Geno finally gets his shot, looks good and might think about retirement??? I like you man, but I need some of whatever you are smoking tonight.