Drew Locks future

m0ng0

Reaction score
Geno is going from 3.5 million to 35 million a year unless the wheels fall off really quick. Lock will take 10-15 million for 2-3 years. We are still drafting a QB of the future next year kids.
I don't believe that, not even for a second...the 35 million part :). If we do that we are damn near in the Russell Wilson boat again and that was the whole point of dumping him.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Funny & true story: I had served six years in the Navy. At the age of 34, I tried to enlist in the Marine Corps... and then I turned 35. Long story very short, I managed to convince HQMC to give me a chance when their own regulations prohibited it. They sent me a letter explaining that they essentially subtracted my Navy time from my age, giving me a "reconstructed age" of 29. (Epilogue: I retired out of the Marine Corps in 2006.)

I believe that reconstructed age thing is true of Geno also. His birth certificate might say he's 32, but his knees and shoulders say he's 26.
The only damage Geno's body has sustained over his career, is a rare medical condition known as "Bench Butt".! I'll agree with 26..

NoChops

Reaction score
I don't believe that, not even for a second...the 35 million part :). If we do that we are damn near in the Russell Wilson boat again and that was the whole point of dumping him.
that is the league average, and Geno has earned it. That is why I say Pete rolls the dice with Lock and drafts someone.

Rainger

Reaction score
that is the league average, and Geno has earned it. That is why I say Pete rolls the dice with Lock and drafts someone.
He will draft someone but COME ON MAN, You think Pete is going to go with Lock over Geno now??????

I have it on good authority "NoChops" that KC is going to go with Shane Buechele over Mahomes!

NoChops

Reaction score
this year? hell no. He is also not going to give him 4 years at 120 million next year which he will command.

Mick063

Reaction score
Your statement requires clarification. What do you not believe, even for a second?

a) Geno will not be paid that much by anyone. (He will)
b) Seattle will not pay that much for Geno. (Who knows?)
c) All of the above

It affects how your post is perceived.

Further, do you actually believe that the pain from Wilson is so great that the team will never pay top money for a quarterback again? Considering that Pete Carroll likes to play defense and run the ball, that isn't really an absurd thought. Dust off one more inexpensive career backup, and Pete will start to be known as a quarterback whisperer. A coach that can get more out of the position than almost anyone else can (I mean he tapped Wilson for every bit of worth available). Invest the cap in skill players and recycle talented, inexpensive veteran quarterbacks that weren't schooled correctly elsewhere. Not a bad strategy. Alternatively, rookie deals are the way to go, but it is so hit and miss. Pete would still get the most out of them. Got to part ways after the fifth-year extension though. Too expensive.

All of that is moot unless Pete coaches into his 80s.

Last edited:

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
You have to think he was included in the trade package for more than just a backup role. He’s embraced it well and could be a great 3 year understudy given he’s still a young player with above average arm talent. Geno beat him out though and will remain the starter for the next 3 years guaranteed.
I think the Hawks are still high on Lock. We will know when draft time comes along. If Geno continues to be good its unclear at this point if the Hawks will even Draft a QB in the first round. One would think if they draft another QB it would be for competition in the room. I doubt they would keep 3 QBs.... so if they use a high pick it would show a lack of confidence in Lock the way i see it. But one thing is for sure Carroll made a mistake not creating competition for Wilson, i would be shocked if he made that mistake twice. Its going to be interesting to see how they handle this.

Do they have another draft as good as the last one? Do they draft a Qb high in the first round? What ever happens i think they are looking good on all fronts this should be a great team for the next few years. Cant wait toll the draft!

Nunya

Reaction score
Maybe this year, but Seattle WILL pick a top QB in the draft, mark my words, then Lock will need to compete to be the number 2.

LOL Retire????? Geno finally gets his shot, looks good and might think about retirement??? I like you man, but I need some of whatever you are smoking tonight.
Well, he is no spring chicken and has been in the league for 10 years. Even then, "retirement" in the NFL is not always because of age. It is a rough sport and injuries take their toll...even if one has been riding the pine for the past few years.

I would be surprised if they take a QB higher than round 5. There are really 3 options. 1. Geno will be around for a few years yet and therefore drafting a QB is not really needed. 2. Geno will only be around for 1-2 more years in which case, Lock will likely be the heir apparent. 3. Either 1 or 2 and the staff does not have any faith in Lock. Only option 3 creates the urgency to draft a higher round QB.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I think Geno embodies what Pete wants - bust your ass, do the little things to improve yourself to the best of you abilities, be a great leader and teammate. Do that, and you’ll be rewarded. It doesn’t matter if your are a 1st pick or street free agent - buy into the program, and be the best version of you. Geno is maximizing himself, and I think Pete will proudly pass him the pen to sign a fat contract.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Your statement requires clarification. What do you not believe, even for a second?

a) Geno will not be paid that much by anyone. (He will)
b) Seattle will not pay that much for Geno. (Who knows?)
c) All of the above

It affects how your post is perceived.

Further, do you actually believe that the pain from Wilson is so great that the team will never pay top money for a quarterback again? Considering that Pete Carroll likes to play defense and run the ball, that isn't really an absurd thought. Dust off one more inexpensive career backup, and Pete will start to be known as a quarterback whisperer. A coach that can get more out of the position than almost anyone else can (I mean he tapped Wilson for every bit of worth available). Invest the cap in skill players and recycle talented, inexpensive veteran quarterbacks that weren't schooled correctly elsewhere. Not a bad strategy. Alternatively, rookie deals are the way to go, but it is so hit and miss. Pete would still get the most out of them. Got to part ways after the fifth-year extension though. Too expensive.

All of that is moot unless Pete coaches into his 80s.
35 million a year? Nope not going to happen, there is no pain for paying a QB top dollar but we are not there yet.

bileever

Reaction score
I've liked Drew Lock's attitude and enthusiasm on the bench. He's as excited as anyone after a big play, you can see him jumping up and down, patting players on the back. He's not pouting because he's not playing.

I also don't think we've really seen what Lock's capable of. I think that Carroll and Schneider did think highly enough of him to have him included as part of the trade package. Whether he will put it all together is another story. But Geno and people like Josh Allen have shown that you can't make a final judgement after two or three years.

But I'm sure that Schneider and his staff are carefully scouting the available college QBs right now. Schneider was right about Wilson, and he was right about Mahomes and Allen. Let's hope he finds another QB, regardless of whether we can re-sign Geno or not.

Torc

Reaction score
35 million a year? Nope not going to happen, there is no pain for paying a QB top dollar but we are not there yet.
$35 million isn't top dollar, it'd be the 7th highest paid for this year. Salary cap is always increasing, and Geno hasn't had a big pay day yet. Do I think he'll be the top (Stafford is tops this year at $61 million)? No. But $35 million isn't insane for a top 5 QB in the league. Now is the time to pay it, while the nucleus of the defense is young and on rookie contracts. Then, flip it when Geno finishes his contract.

And those that mention Geno retiring? Pete is more likely to retire. Geno's gonna get paid.

nwHawk

Reaction score
If Geno stays a top 3 QB all season, which unbelievably is possible, $35 million a year isn’t unrealistic. The big question is contract length. 3 years / $105 million. Never say never.

Mick063

Reaction score
I'm asking you to reread my post and answer the question. You still have not adequately answered it and I laid it out as clearly as possible. Just type a,b, or c. Simple. Why? Because I still don't understand exactly what you are rejecting.

Last edited:

Mick063

Reaction score
I've liked Drew Lock's attitude and enthusiasm on the bench. He's as excited as anyone after a big play, you can see him jumping up and down, patting players on the back. He's not pouting because he's not playing.

I also don't think we've really seen what Lock's capable of. I think that Carroll and Schneider did think highly enough of him to have him included as part of the trade package. Whether he will put it all together is another story. But Geno and people like Josh Allen have shown that you can't make a final judgement after two or three years.

But I'm sure that Schneider and his staff are carefully scouting the available college QBs right now. Schneider was right about Wilson, and he was right about Mahomes and Allen. Let's hope he finds another QB, regardless of whether we can re-sign Geno or not.
Things to consider:

Pete never said anything but great things about Geno's preseason work during the supposed starter competition. He always had Geno in front, even when the press pressed him about it.
Pete gave Lock a valid opportunity and considering how well Geno was showing at the time, Lock must have been showing good things as well to get the last preseason start (then scratch due to illness).
The staff must have seen something in Lock because he is still on the roster and wasn't rejected as part of the Wilson deal.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Well, he is no spring chicken and has been in the league for 10 years. Even then, "retirement" in the NFL is not always because of age. It is a rough sport and injuries take their toll...even if one has been riding the pine for the past few years.

I would be surprised if they take a QB higher than round 5. There are really 3 options. 1. Geno will be around for a few years yet and therefore drafting a QB is not really needed. 2. Geno will only be around for 1-2 more years in which case, Lock will likely be the heir apparent. 3. Either 1 or 2 and the staff does not have any faith in Lock. Only option 3 creates the urgency to draft a higher round QB.
If they spend the draft capital, a #1 pick, on a Qb, they are going to want him to contribute with in a year or so. If they really like Lock and think Geno is good for 3 years then why would they do that? Why would they carry 3 QBs? They probably wouldn't. So that would mean they would go into camp with the expectation that the number one pick would unseat lock or Geno. Probably lock. Thats thecway i see it.

Nunya

Reaction score
If they spend the draft capital, a #1 pick, on a Qb, they are going to want him to contribute with in a year or so. If they really like Lock and think Geno is good for 3 years then why would they do that? Why would they carry 3 QBs? They probably wouldn't. So that would mean they would go into camp with the expectation that the number one pick would unseat lock or Geno. Probably lock. Thats thecway i see it.
That is why I don't see them drafting a QB in higher rounds. They might pick a QB up in the later rounds...someone that has promise but is disposable if they are not an improvement over Lock. However, Lock is young and might want another shot at a starting job somewhere. We don't know what has been discussed. If the plan is that Lock may leave or does not meet expectations, then I could see a 3-5 round QB pick.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I think Geno embodies what Pete wants - bust your ass, do the little things to improve yourself to the best of you abilities, be a great leader and teammate. Do that, and you’ll be rewarded. It doesn’t matter if your are a 1st pick or street free agent - buy into the program, and be the best version of you. Geno is maximizing himself, and I think Pete will proudly pass him the pen to sign a fat contract.
I would have to say that i agree with that but the telling thing is how many years do they give him? Depends on who they draft.

Geno would be smart to stay in Seattle not to say he wouldn't have success else where but he will have more success here.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Geno may be showing Lock how he followed Pete's doctrine of protect the ball at all cost, he is playing with high completion percentage and low INTs, both were Lock's weaknesses. We haven't been leading in large enough margin by 3rd quarter, quite sure Pete would like to play Lock some in those situation and gauge the progress of Lock.

If Geno's asking price is too high and competition for his service too strong, Pete might just turn to Lock. If Lock has learned enough on how to play protect the ball.
The worst thing Geno could do is get greedy its those big money contracts that ruins players...Geno knows what its like being out of Seattle... he wants to be here. he has built commrodery with the players . Seahawks are a first rate organization that treats there players well... id be shocked if he left for money... The seahawks will offer him a good contract if they want him.

schkoot

Reaction score
Funny & true story: I had served six years in the Navy. At the age of 34, I tried to enlist in the Marine Corps... and then I turned 35. Long story very short, I managed to convince HQMC to give me a chance when their own regulations prohibited it. They sent me a letter explaining that they essentially subtracted my Navy time from my age, giving me a "reconstructed age" of 29. (Epilogue: I retired out of the Marine Corps in 2006.)

I believe that reconstructed age thing is true of Geno also. His birth certificate might say he's 32, but his knees and shoulders say he's 26.
'RAH! Semper, brother!

C 1/1 2003-2007.