Duane Brown New Deal

Wartooth

Reaction score
I like this, he's solid and a good veteran presence on that young line.
I think he was trying to play Cabels 'scheme' last year...
It didn't seem to 'take', I guess; with him not having been a defensive tackle in college and all.
If they let him play the way he did in Houston, he could have a pro bowl year!

The Breh

Reaction score
flmmkrz":c4d194y3 said:
Love this. Reward players who don't bitch or complain or put themselves ahead of the team.
So... you aren't aware that Duane did the exact same thing last year at Hou that Earl is doing now?
Brown held out the first 7 games and missed the whole off-season and TC with them.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1e4kh8zl said:
Too bad Earl didn't learn from previous extensions. You show up, we'll negotiate. You stay at home, nothing is going to happen. Schneider has been pretty consistent about this his entire time here.

We don't negotiate with terrorists, oops I mean, holdouts.

Exactly. You try to strong arm the team into more money.... yea, not a good idea. It doesn't work.

But you show up, do your job, be a leader, buy into the system (and not run up to coaches on other teams and beg for a job), they might just extend you! :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I'm happy for Brown, this was a good move. Apparently he's also been a good influence on Ifedi as well.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Protecting Russ is more important that bringing Earl back. We have more options at Safety and I believe Pete can continue to work his magic maintaining a top flight secondary with young guys. This is a solid move and value. I want to see the guaranteed $$'s.

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":3d04n3dj said:
Gratz Brown, and right now Earl is throwing Darts at Schneider's and Pete's pictures.....................

This also seems to kind of fall into the three year window some of us have been thinking about.

On one hand, Earl contributed more to the Hawks success than Brown,

On the other hand, Earl sure did bite the hand that fed him, that made getting more candy from the same hand a little awkward.

Brown played all the cards right with the Hawks, got paid.

toffee

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2a63ghcr said:
Earl needs to learn the meaning of "greed".

Review what Brown said about the Solari, his teammates on OL, about Pete and Hawks in the past weeks. Knowing he is older, he proactively demonstrated being a mentor to young linemen. That, my fellow 12s, is how you get BIG contract.

Fade

Reaction score
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/duane-brown-3778/
The age where LTs tend to decline is 35 so this deal is more than appropriate as it takes him through 35. By then Seattle can easily cut Brown with no worries if his skills diminish, but he should play out the contract.

Grade: A

Years of team control for the O-Line

(4) LT Brown -- (3) LG Pocic -- (3) C Britt -- (1) RG Fluker -- (2*) RT Ifedi

*5th year team option available for Ifedi. I am projecting they don't use that option.

The left side is in place. Now it is about building the right side.

(3) G Roos (RFA in '20)
(4) T Jamarco Jones

Are 2 players that I hope can get some spot reps during the regular season, and see if they can be future starters.

I feel pretty confident Roos will start at some point during the season at RG. Jamarco Jones is a lot more wishful thinking though because he is a LT and a rookie, but one can hope he can get a couple dozen snaps at RT over the course of the season.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":qf2dl4px said:
Mad Dog":qf2dl4px said:
Too bad Earl didn't learn from previous extensions. You show up, we'll negotiate. You stay at home, nothing is going to happen. Schneider has been pretty consistent about this his entire time here.

Exactly. You try to strong arm the team into more money.... yea, not a good idea. It doesn't work.

Last year Brown either wanted more money or to be traded to a team that would give him more money, and he was both very vocal about that and sat out until he got what he wanted.

Brown isn't evidence that what Thomas is doing DOESN'T work, it's evidence that what Thomas is doing DOES work.

If I'm Thomas, I look at Brown, and see my roadmap clear as day: if your team doesn't want to pay you at market rate, just hold out until they're forced to trade you at below market rate in draft capital, and the team that trades for you will take care of you and pay you at market rate.

By trading for Brown and then extending him, the Seahawks have essentially laid out the proof of concept for Thomas' strategy.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1clucnec said:
Congrats, Duane Brown! Already one of my favorite Seahawks. He is going to make Russell and the running game better over the next few years.

:irishdrinkers:

He showed up and got PAID. What a concept!

I am glad we signed him for certain, but lets not re-write history here. He held out from his previous team with 2 years left and just got rewarded from a new team. :roll:

Jville

Reaction score
As I recall, Earl Thomas made it known over a period of time that he was thinking about retiring from the game because of his injury and toll the game takes on the body. Max Unger was another player that expressed reservations (concussions) about continuing to play. Hesitation or uncertainty about continued commitment to the game and team can impact perceived risk and value. Although we are not privy to inter-team discussions, we do know that commitment is a huge factor in team building and cap planing.

To my knowledge, Duane Brown expressed no reservations about his desire to continue to play the game. That's the difference.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3io9wjzx said:
If I'm Thomas, I look at Brown, and see my roadmap clear as day: if your team doesn't want to pay you at market rate, just hold out until they're forced to trade you at below market rate in draft capital, and the team that trades for you will take care of you and pay you at market rate.

By trading for Brown and then extending him, the Seahawks have essentially laid out the proof of concept for Thomas' strategy.
Agree with most of your post except the bolded part above. Houston made out just fine on trading Brown to the Hawks getting two 2nd round draft choices... definitely at, or above market rate.

Hawks just have to be patient and wait for a team that is in desperate need of a FS.

Also, Earl's demand for a new contract at, or exceeding Eric Berry's contract is unreasonable. The safety market has receded since February of 2017. If Earl gets his wish and gets traded I predict he won't surpass Berry.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":37jdxy69 said:
Popeyejones":37jdxy69 said:

Agree with most of your post except the bolded part above. Houston made out just fine on trading Brown to the Hawks getting two 2nd round draft choices... definitely at, or above market rate.

Hawks just have to be patient and wait for a team that is in desperate need of a FS.

Also, Earl's demand for a new contract at, or exceeding Eric Berry's contract is unreasonable. The safety market has receded since February of 2017. If Earl gets his wish and gets traded I predict he won't surpass Berry.

The equivalent of two third rounders (a 2018 3rd plus a 2019 2nd) for Brown and a 5th.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Brown never held out here. He has shown up every day and has been the consummate leader for the offensive line. This is why he is being rewarded with an extension.

His holdout with the Texans was a unique situation, as it was done in protest against the Texans owner.

Edit by staff (pmedic)

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Popeyejones":pl1ktdft said:
twisted_steel2":pl1ktdft said:
Mad Dog":pl1ktdft said:

Last year Brown either wanted more money or to be traded to a team that would give him more money, and he was both very vocal about that and sat out until he got what he wanted.

Brown isn't evidence that what Thomas is doing DOESN'T work, it's evidence that what Thomas is doing DOES work.

It's an interesting point... but what happened in Houston was unusual in the sense there was more involved there than just money. Brown had an issue with ownership regarding the whole kneeling/anthem and his inmates comment, correct?

My comments were more geared towards current teams, if you want to stay, with an extension, holding out does not work.

If you hold out with the intent of trying to force a trade, sure, it might be effective some times.

But Brown since he's been here... has being a total professional, a leader, buying in, a mentor, I still think thats the best way to get a team to extend you.

pmedic920

Reaction score
The Breh":2nialet5 said:
flmmkrz":2nialet5 said:
Love this. Reward players who don't bitch or complain or put themselves ahead of the team.
So... you aren't aware that Duane did the exact same thing last year at Hou that Earl is doing now?
Brown held out the first 7 games and missed the whole off-season and TC with them.

Hopefully you’re aware, DB had issues with the ownership in Houston.
Those issues were mostly unrelated to money.

I’m not saying it’s right/wrong or otherwise but those issues had more to do with his personal values than money.

Personally I can’t fault a guy for standing up for his beliefs, and I don’t see his hold out in the same light as ETIII’s.

YMMV

Latest posts