Duane Brown New Deal

chris98251

Reaction score
pmedic920":1kwoqcfj said:
The Breh":1kwoqcfj said:
flmmkrz":1kwoqcfj said:
Love this. Reward players who don't bitch or complain or put themselves ahead of the team.
So... you aren't aware that Duane did the exact same thing last year at Hou that Earl is doing now?
Brown held out the first 7 games and missed the whole off-season and TC with them.

Hopefully you’re aware, DB had issues with the ownership in Houston.
Those issues were mostly unrelated to money.

I’m not saying it’s right/wrong or otherwise but those issues had more to do with his personal values than money.

Personally I can’t fault a guy for standing up for his beliefs, and I don’t see his hold out in the same light as ETIII’s.

YMMV

Agreed it was not about football, it was about right and wrong in what the owner said and the owner continued to stick his foot in his mouth over most the season.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Congrats Duane! I was weary about his age last season, but he showed up and did everything we hoped for. :2thumbs:

The Breh

Reaction score
pmedic920":1o3ilsrt said:
The Breh":1o3ilsrt said:
flmmkrz":1o3ilsrt said:
Love this. Reward players who don't bitch or complain or put themselves ahead of the team.
So... you aren't aware that Duane did the exact same thing last year at Hou that Earl is doing now?
Brown held out the first 7 games and missed the whole off-season and TC with them.

I’m not saying it’s right/wrong or otherwise but those issues had more to do with his personal values than money.

Personally I can’t fault a guy for standing up for his beliefs, and I don’t see his hold out in the same light as ETIII’s.

YMMV
It had every bit to do with money.
And instead of Earl, who only has 1 year left on his contract, DB had 2. With no guaranteed money.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... lions/amp/

He put himself ahead of the team, which is a big no-no, or red flag on .Net.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Initially the Texans had the upper hand. Then the owner ran his mouth, and Duane got the upper hand, forcing Houston to trade him.

Earl has no such leverage with Paul Allen.

Congratulations Duane Brown! Welcome to the Seahawks!

toffee

Reaction score
pmedic920":3bd2xe3a said:
The Breh":3bd2xe3a said:
flmmkrz":3bd2xe3a said:

YMMV

this

mikeak

Reaction score
Fade":15v799ho said:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/duane-brown-3778/
The age where LTs tend to decline is 35 so this deal is more than appropriate as it takes him through 35. By then Seattle can easily cut Brown with no worries if his skills diminish, but he should play out the contract.

Grade: A

Years of team control for the O-Line

(4) LT Brown -- (3) LG Pocic -- (3) C Britt -- (1) RG Fluker -- (2*) RT Ifedi

*5th year team option available for Ifedi. I am projecting they don't use that option.

The left side is in place. Now it is about building the right side.

(3) G Roos (RFA in '20)
(4) T Jamarco Jones

Are 2 players that I hope can get some spot reps during the regular season, and see if they can be future starters.

I feel pretty confident Roos will start at some point during the season at RG. Jamarco Jones is a lot more wishful thinking though because he is a LT and a rookie, but one can hope he can get a couple dozen snaps at RT over the course of the season.

Very good visual post showing that for the first time in a long time maybe we can build continuity along the line

dbmack

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/1023706718864199680[/tweet]

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
raisethe3":1yjpamsq said:
Congrats Duane! I was weary about his age last season, but he showed up and did everything we hoped for. :2thumbs:
You were tired about his age last season?

;)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
toffee":2e4sqd5j said:

I don't fault him for standing up for his beliefs either, but he was holding out for three months (August through the end of October) before he had any issues with the Texans owner.

He also ended his holdout a week before McNair said anything he had issues with.

I think it's safe to conjecture that his beef with McNair might have caused him to be traded at the end of October after he had come back from his holdout, but he was holding out for money, full stop.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2jf2h48l said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1023655444600877056[/tweet]

If anyone is doubting Brown's commitment to this team, watch this.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Like I said when we traded for Brown, this extension was the only way the trade could be a good deal for us.

So really we didn't have a choice, had to give Brown the extension to not only solidify an already shaky offensive line, but to make sure we don't get screwed yet again on a bad trade.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3jfdmxng said:
Like I said when we traded for Brown, this extension was the only way the trade could be a good deal for us.

So really we didn't have a choice, had to give Brown the extension to not only solidify an already shaky offensive line, but to make sure we don't get screwed yet again on a bad trade.

Oof when you put it like that...

Still a good move right? Lane/Houston screwed us tbh it would've been an excellent deal if that part of the deal held up

Also which LTs have played well after 35? I can think of Big Whit and Jason Peters. Who else?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
adeltaY":1kdgl7wk said:
Sgt. Largent":1kdgl7wk said:

Oof when you put it like that...

Still a good move right? Lane/Houston screwed us tbh it would've been an excellent deal if that part of the deal held up

Also which LTs have played well after 35? I can think of Big Whit and Jason Peters. Who else?

I hope so, three years is a good timeframe for his age and our hopeful optimism of finding another LT in the next 2-3 years.

Peters? Hopefully not what we're in store for, cause he tore his MCL and ACL last year at age 35 and missed the entire year.

But in general, any extension for any player other than maybe kicker and QB is a gamble after 35.

Seymour

Reaction score
This was a good read on his extension.....

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2...ears-holdout-everything-is-worth-the-upgrade/

“Everything is worth the upgrade,” Brown said of last year’s holdout, which ultimately culminated in his trade to the Seahawks mid-season. “I’m just grateful for this opportunity. I couldn’t ask to be in a better situation. I love this team, I love this organization. There is a huge amount of mutual respect and I’m very happy to finish out my career here.”

Jville

Reaction score
Scheduled Cap numbers from OTC ... [urltargetblank]https://overthecap.com/player/duane-brown/1660/[/urltargetblank]

2018 ......... $8,250,000
2019........ $10,500,000
2020 ....... $12,500,000
2021 ....... $13,000,000

JPC4Days

Reaction score
Jville":3npg11w3 said:
Scheduled Cap numbers from OTC ... [urltargetblank]https://overthecap.com/player/duane-brown/1660/[/urltargetblank]

2018 ......... $8,250,000
2019........ $10,500,000
2020 ....... $12,500,000
2021 ....... $13,000,000

Not sure what the correct number is but I just checked over the cap and his 2021 cap hit was 11.5 and he would be 36... He could pull a Daryl Green and remain a legit athlete in his mid thirties but even if he loses a step... there is a chance he could be an elite guard. I watched his top one hundred when they traded for him and the dudes that played against him talked about how strong he was... old man strength, strength stays with us longer than fast twitch.....just a thought.

I'm happy... they put money in the defense during the first run and should have at least had two Super bowls ... nobody can blame them for that strategy.... they took advantage of having one of the most elusive quarter backs in NFL history and tried to work the cap that way... was smart.

With Russ about to turn 30 I think the next moneyball move is to make the o line what the LOB was as far as elite units, sparing no expense the way they did with Earl,Kam and Sherm.... this is a step in the right direction.

The moneyball part is Petes ability to build a defense, with young, hungry, cheap talent... or casts offs in there prime. One of Pete's talents is putting defenders in the best position to succeed.... finding diamonds in the rough. I know it is really not simple but in theory our defense is supposed to be about ... bigger faster stronger athletes doing what bigger faster stronger athletes do when they do not have to think... about complicated schemes.

I also think our defense was best before they got paid and lost the eye of the tiger... when they all were young and thought they were invincible... pay premium for the young elite pass rush types but offense is going to have to get a bigger piece of the pie this time around...

It's late I am rambling but something to that effect.... round two is about to start. You got this Pete/John.