Duane Brown on recent moves - Ouch

Status
Not open for further replies.

adeltaY

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":5qisak78 said:
Sgt. Largent":5qisak78 said:
No one will be able to tell me when Pete, John and Paul Allen met after the season, that there wasn't a concerted effort to circle the wagons on the distraction factor, and that contributed to both Bennett and Sherman leaving.

That's fine if you want to speculate on that, but you didn't get it from the video at all. Only the first 1:36 of that video were even about the Seahawks locker room, and the "standing for something bigger than themselves" was in direct and unmistakable reference to activism, not self-focus. There's no wiggle room for the context there. The rest was about Brown's treatment in Houston and his feelings on the societal issues.

Honestly the distraction thing sounds like BS to me unless someone comes out and says it on record. What constitutes a distraction? Was Cassius Marsh's heavy involvement in the Magic card game community a distraction? Are Russell Wilson's various business endeavors distractions? How does a distraction impact the team? What if two players hate each other for purely personal reasons? Is that a distraction or just something they have to work out?

mikeak

Reaction score
Seymour":2welfvnz said:
Great interview of Brown. Seems like a good dude with his head on straight. I think he is wrong about Bennett though. They saved a whopping $2M to trade Bennett. They can never replace him for even 4x that price, so clearly they had other reasons there.

This ignore future years savings. Cut him next year then you are paying the signing bonus for those years plus the roster bonus.

Cap saving this year usually doesn't tell the whole story

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports. ... 940757/Amp

A-Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":b3z6i4n6 said:
Good, glad someone's saying it out loud.

Some of these guys think that as long as they ball out on the field, they can be distractions off the field, and even on the field because they're just keepin' it real...........and make no mistake Pete's to blame for it.

It's his "everyone can be themselves" culture that he's fostered with this group of players. Well that's fine when you're winning SB's. But when you're scratching and clawing for your playoff lives, it matters.

It's VERY obvious with who's gone that Pete learned his lesson, and Brown's comment only reinforces that Pete's not messing around anymore. Buy in, or you're gone.

lol, did you even bother to listen to the interview? Brown is saying the exact opposite of what you claim he was saying. good lord

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3a06ytdj said:
Sports Hernia":3a06ytdj said:
Sgt. Largent":3a06ytdj said:
Hawk Finn":3a06ytdj said:
Interesting reading the comments here. I got a completely different impression listening to that interview. It seems like he was saying that they were not shipped off for anything but financial reasons. Perhaps people interpret commentary in a manner that fits their narrative – myself included.

There's two things going on here, what Pete says to his players and to the press about being supportive of their player's personalities, and activism............and then there's what goes on behind closed doors when it comes to injecting this team with youth, enthusiasm and a roster full of players who want to be here, and not be a distraction.

I do think Pete's supportive of his players, but I also think he knows there was some distractions that hurt his teams focus.

No one will be able to tell me when Pete, John and Paul Allen met after the season, that there wasn't a concerted effort to circle the wagons on the distraction factor, and that contributed to both Bennett and Sherman leaving.

There wasn't a HUGE financial cap relief for trading Bennett, he actually had a pretty decent team friendly contract for another year or two. Can't tell me the distraction factor didn't come into play.
Correct me if I’m wrong (and I may very well be) but weren’t most of Sherm’s “dust ups” (see with the radio moron, the former OC, and with his former DC) last offseason and during the 2016 season? Color me a big giant weirdo but I’d rather have a guy that cares too much and wants to win at all costs resulting in some “baggage” then someone that doesn’t care and is just cashing checks by just physically showing up (see Aaron Curry).

Don't you remember the big meeting during the 2017 off season when Sherman he bragged about having a private meeting with Pete so he could school Pete up on the direction he'd like the team to go?

Even that was a total embellishment. Pete was responding to Sherman's negativity about playcalling and how he wanted more input into the team's day to day operations and schemes.

So no, the negative distractions were there last year too.

I don't see that caring too much, you can care too much by doing what players like Russell and Doug do, by taking personal responsibility, staying positive and not throwing your teammates, coaches and local press under the bus every time things aren't going your or the team's way.
I don’t remember that, but I’ll take your word for it. As for not throwing people under the bus, isn’t that exactly what our former OC did after XLIX instead of taking personal responsibility for the piss poor play call?

As for the local press they are pretty much contrarian idiots, and they made their own bed IMHO.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this. :)

rcaido

Reaction score
Is there a different video? Some of these comment kind of blows my mind, some people really hate Bennett.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Decimation":utt91y88 said:
Buy in to the rebuild or GTHO. This team needed a shake up after the failure of Super Bowl 49.

The moves this front office is making is much needed in order to get back to the top.

It’s not a rebuild. Buy into the program or get out.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
cesame":26rowojk said:
How is this "ouch"?

In the video he clearly says Pete and crew backed the players 100% and that the reason Sherman and Bennett are no longer on the team is because financial reasons.

This is how I heard it as well. Clearly said they backed and loved the players. I think the front office just thought it was time for some change. Need to move this team forward.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Crizilla":1l1dnryv said:
"They want guys who stand for something bigger than themselves" AKA "guys that don't wanna take up all the cap space".

So obviously financial reasons played a role. That's his whole point.

Yes, a guy wants all the money, he wants his buds to get all the money and then blames the FO for not getting 45 other quality guys that'll play for a relative pittance? Do they not understand there is only so much the team can spend within the rules?
Few will fall on their sword for the team. They don't NEED the extra millions but egos get in the way.

rcaido

Reaction score
TreeRon":1qdt4guh said:
Crizilla":1qdt4guh said:
"They want guys who stand for something bigger than themselves" AKA "guys that don't wanna take up all the cap space".

So obviously financial reasons played a role. That's his whole point.

Yes, a guy wants all the money, he wants his buds to get all the money and then blames the FO for not getting 45 other quality guys that'll play for a relative pittance? Do they not understand there is only so much the team can spend within the rules?
Few will fall on their sword for the team. They don't NEED the extra millions but egos get in the way.

Are you talking about Sherman, Bennett or both or is this all NFL players? Of course they all want to get maximum value. IF the team cant do it, then another team will. I dont recall Bennett or Sherman ever blaming FO.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Not "Ouch" by any means but certainly some room to read between the lines.

It's no secret anymore - Seattle was a team fighting itself for some time now.

This rebuild should have taken place sooner IMO.

It's also an incomplete version so long as PC remains.

His going will be the final piece to a true rebuilding.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Duane Brown is trying to get paid. It is a good quote by him for that reason.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2hzt9qze said:
5280Hawk":2hzt9qze said:
That is not how he stated that at all. Listen to Duane in the first 30 seconds of the interview he says the opposite of what you guys are saying. He believes that they moved Sherman and Bennett for financial reasons. thats it.

I think it means both, and yes I watched the whole thing.

Bigger than themselves = support players like Bennett and Baldwin that are trying to be activists.

Bigger than themselves = also support the team first mentality, thus Brown saying Bennett and Sherman were traded and let go MOSTLY because of their contract situation.

Of course it's about the money first, but no one can tell me Pete and John didn't factor in distractions. It's not a coincidence that the two players gone were the two biggest off field and critical of his coaches (Sherman).

I'm not aware of any instance in the last few years where Doug has acted bigger than himself or the team. He appears to have always worked with Pete, management and his teammates to come up with solutions that work best for everyone involved--e.g. having the players link arms in the 2016 season. He's been a mature and responsible voice during all the political stuff while still having a rep as one of the hardest-working guys on the team.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
5280Hawk":1qpjoip5 said:
That is not how he stated that at all. Listen to Duane in the first 30 seconds of the interview he says the opposite of what you guys are saying. He believes that they moved Sherman and Bennett for financial reasons. thats it.

Yeah I don't think some people listened to or understood Brown's statement, lol.

But hey, why bother being right when you can feel right?

idle Eric

Reaction score
OP jazzhawk can i ask why on earth you see this interview as a reason to post - "ouch" ........?

Was just interested to hear your thoughts and reasoning.

idle Eric

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11obcxuc said:
Good, glad someone's saying it out loud.

Brown's comment only reinforces that Pete's not messing around anymore. Buy in, or you're gone.

WHAT !?........ HOW ?........ How can you hear his comments this way ?

themunn

Reaction score
Sherman and Bennett are the very definition of guys who stand for something bigger than themselves

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
themunn":ofrxbbrd said:
Sherman and Bennett are the very definition of guys who stand for something bigger than themselves

No. If you want to see a pro athlete that’s bigger than themselves look at RW or JJ Watt.

ducks41468

Reaction score
NJlargent":1eskt3l2 said:
Duane Brown is trying to get paid. It is a good quote by him for that reason.

Exactly. This is nothing more than Brown towing the company line and lobbying for an extension (that I hope we don't give him).

Also ironic that he's talking about letting players go for financial reasons when he held out on the Texans for....financial reasons. This guy sure knows how to play office politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.