Ducks are in trouble

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The defense is what really concerns me. The ducks have shown they can win with a darron Thomas or Jeremiah massoli at qb. They don't need a heisman trophy winner, just somebody that can perform their assignment. Right now Vernon Adams can't, whether that's his finger, his lack if knowledge of the play book, or his shortness and slowness, who knows. Probably a combination of all those things. He sucks right now. And lockie is a backup for a reason. Could be a long year at the qb position, but at least there's hope for next year as we have a kid who's redshirting (also injured or he might get a shot now) who the staff is really high on.

The defense baffles me. Yea, they're scarily young in the secondary, but they've got great athletes all over the place. Seems like the sum is less than the parts. This game against Utah it seemed like the defensive coaches had never watched Utah play and never watched film, they seemed to have no clue what they're doing.

Overall I'm still backing helfrich and I'm good with the offense (just need better qb play), but I think they need to realize that moving pellum from lb coach to defensive coordinator has failed. They need uncle Phil to buy them a real d. Coordinator who can get the most out of the talent.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
JSeahawks":dbu0abb0 said:
The defense is what really concerns me. The ducks have shown they can win with a darron Thomas or Jeremiah massoli at qb. They don't need a heisman trophy winner, just somebody that can perform their assignment. Right now Vernon Adams can't, whether that's his finger, his lack if knowledge of the play book, or his shortness and slowness, who knows. Probably a combination of all those things. He sucks right now. And lockie is a backup for a reason. Could be a long year at the qb position, but at least there's hope for next year as we have a kid who's redshirting (also injured or he might get a shot now) who the staff is really high on.

The defense baffles me. Yea, they're scarily young in the secondary, but they've got great athletes all over the place. Seems like the sum is less than the parts. This game against Utah it seemed like the defensive coaches had never watched Utah play and never watched film, they seemed to have no clue what they're doing.

Overall I'm still backing helfrich and I'm good with the offense (just need better qb play), but I think they need to realize that moving pellum from lb coach to defensive coordinator has failed. They need uncle Phil to buy them a real d. Coordinator who can get the most out of the talent.

oregon has a defense? it did not appear to have one against Utah. I mean those receivers had spaces big enough to park my truck in and I have a big truck.

Chapow

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1zifzkzz said:
I was really excited for Vernon Adams.... He's terrible. Incredibly slow. Can't seem to read a defense.

What the hell happened to this guy? He seems like a completely different player than the guy that lit it up on a weekly basis at EWU.

I wonder if he regrets his decision to transfer to OU. I can't see how he doesn't at this point.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Chapow":2yhhdte7 said:
JSeahawks":2yhhdte7 said:
I was really excited for Vernon Adams.... He's terrible. Incredibly slow. Can't seem to read a defense.

What the hell happened to this guy? He seems like a completely different player than the guy that lit it up on a weekly basis at EWU.

I wonder if he regrets his decision to transfer to OU. I can't see how he doesn't at this point.

Broken knuckle on his throwing hand, I think.

He's definitely not an athletic freak like Mariota though so it's perception based on that, too - at least for Ducks fans. Though the article drrew posted seems to label him a product of EWU which might not be far from the truth.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3hw7zqsr said:

Agreed, I think Helfrich and Frost are fine on the offensive side of the ball, but I haven't been a fan from Pellum since the beginning. I loved Aliotti, I thought he was creative and his defenses played aggressive, fundamental football. Pellum is technically running the same stuff, but there is a lack of emphasis on fundamentals and i've seen a complete failure to adjust.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Chapow":2352pmjd said:
JSeahawks":2352pmjd said:

It's called not playing in the Big Sky anymore.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":ml54e99h said:
Chapow":ml54e99h said:
JSeahawks":ml54e99h said:

Eh.. I think injuries are really hampering his performance. Not like the Pac-12 is known for defense.

I also think Duck fans were very spoiled by Mariota, who is showing every game so far in the NFL that he's an outstanding quarterback.. and that it wasn't all the Ducks system. Kind of like Auburn with Cam Newton. Cam was a phenomenal player made even better by an explosive offense

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":ftzsuoj8 said:
Seahawks1983":ftzsuoj8 said:
Chapow":ftzsuoj8 said:
JSeahawks":ftzsuoj8 said:

Eh.. I think injuries are really hampering his performance. Not like the Pac-12 is known for defense.

I also think Duck fans were very spoiled by Mariota, who is showing every game so far in the NFL that he's an outstanding quarterback.. and that it wasn't all the Ducks system. Kind of like Auburn with Cam Newton. Cam was a phenomenal player made even better by an explosive offense

Injuries aren't helping. But the Pac 12 is a far better league defensively than the Big Sky could ever dream of being.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":bb2rgq2f said:
Injuries aren't helping. But the Pac 12 is a far better league defensively than the Big Sky could ever dream of being.

You don't say?

Adams has faced one Pac-12 opponent all year, and when he did he was playing injured.

Also, a healthy Adams sliced up some Pac-12 defenses (including Washington) the last couple of years.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Looks like we're losing to Colorado. I played high school qb, class of 92, ducks should put me on scholarship. I was better than any of these idiots. I could also punt and play db for this team.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":4wij3b6b said:
Lockie is terrible.. is Vernon hurt THAT bad?

Adams is hurt and doesn't seem to know the offense anyway and has been equally horrible. At this point I'd support putting we Bralon Addison at qb and going full triple option.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":nea7h2jz said:
Hasselbeck":nea7h2jz said:
Lockie is terrible.. is Vernon hurt THAT bad?

Adams is hurt and doesn't seem to know the offense and has been equally horrible. At this point I'd support putting we Bralon Addison at qb and going full triple option.

Addison threw a better pass than either of these guys have all year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3n1ra4ig said:
So who had cal and Utah as the last 2 undefeated PAC 12 teams?

Like I said earlier.. the Pac-12 is eating itself alive.. Utah and Cal aren't getting through unscathed either.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":mles43nx said:
JSeahawks":mles43nx said:

Like I said earlier.. the Pac-12 is eating itself alive.. Utah and Cal aren't getting through unscathed either.

Sec is dong the same thing. Not sure there's any GREAT teams this year. Although I still think a motivated Ohio state could beat anybody... But they've gotten pretty crappy qb play too.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":zqi8mdxr said:
Hasselbeck":zqi8mdxr said:
JSeahawks":zqi8mdxr said:

Sec is dong the same thing. Not sure there's any GREAT teams this year. Although I still think a motivated Ohio state could beat anybody... But they've gotten pretty crappy qb play too.

Are we sure tOSU isn't like last years FSU team though? Further.. are we sure Michigan State is actually good? Their best win was over this Oregon team and they needed Vernon to overthrow an open guy for the win.

Also.. I think we might be severely underrating Michigan since they gave Utah fits.. IN Salt Lake and blew out the same BYU team that nearly knocked off UCLA.

You're right though.. there are no great teams right now.. I wouldn't be surprised if no team finished unbeaten this year, which would really spice things up.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
That was a terrible decision though. Might have just let the Buffs right back in the game.