Eagles rugby scrum sneak

James in PA

Reaction score
The first rule change that needs to happen this offseason is getting rid of the Eagles 1 yard rugby scrum sneak. That play is complete and utter BS. Props to them for finding a way to convert 4th and 1 every time, but it's not in the spirit of the game.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
It used to be that as an offensive player, you were not allowed to advance the ballcarrier on your team by deliberately pushing him forward like that.

The ballcarrier was always responsible for advancing the ball by himself, without direct assistance. Oh sure, you could block for him and try to clear a path for him as best as possible. Obviously. But to intentionally push or pull him forward was a penalty.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The first rule change that needs to happen this offseason is getting rid of the Eagles 1 yard rugby scrum sneak. That play is complete and utter BS. Props to them for finding a way to convert 4th and 1 every time, but it's not in the spirit of the game.
Or maybe DCs need to find a way to stop it. I like that players can now aid a ball carrier. It seems to me that it’s helping to stop early whistles.

OP
OP
James in PA

James in PA

Reaction score
Sounds like its going away. Good riddance!

Fast forward to 5:42

Torc

Reaction score
this is going to be interesting because it's not just QBs that get assisted. Heck, Marshawn used to stand up a pile and the offensive linemen would come and hit the pile and push him forward. I haven't seen anyone get hurt doing it but it seems like it only increases the chance of injury for the guy getting pushed.

OP
OP
James in PA

James in PA

Reaction score
this is going to be interesting because it's not just QBs that get assisted. Heck, Marshawn used to stand up a pile and the offensive linemen would come and hit the pile and push him forward. I haven't seen anyone get hurt doing it but it seems like it only increases the chance of injury for the guy getting pushed.
Good point. It happens ALL THE TIME with running backs. Guy looks stopped, suddenly the pile gets pushed forward 3 yards. The league's answer will probably be quicker whistles to blow the play dead or penalizing an obvious push to advance a ball carrier.

flv2

Reaction score
The current way around it is the players in the backfield are pushing the O-Line so they're not pushing or pulling the runner. The rule will be changed to say you can only block/push an opponent. I will be happier because I don't think the scrum adds anything to the spectacle.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yeah I think they'll get rid of the ability to push the ball carrier.

In the general sense of a RB or QB downfield and the O-line is pushing him? That's probably why they allowed it, but like most of these new rules as soon as a team finds a way to exploit the rule like the Eagles have to make it an unfair advantage?

See ya rugby scrum push.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
It was against the rules since 20,000 BC, but was legalized when Reggie Bush pushed Matt Leinart across the line vs Texas at the Rose Bowl.
If the networks really want a rugby tone, require the ball to be physically 'touched down' in the endzone for the 6 points...as requited by rugby and rugby league.

GGotskill

Reaction score
It used to be that as an offensive player, you were not allowed to advance the ballcarrier on your team by deliberately pushing him forward like that.

The ballcarrier was always responsible for advancing the ball by himself, without direct assistance. Oh sure, you could block for him and try to clear a path for him as best as possible. Obviously. But to intentionally push or pull him forward was a penalty.

Incorrect. It is illegal to PULL a player forward, it has never been illegal to push a player from behind.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Yes, if there's one thing the NFL needs, it's more punts on 4th and 1.
And if there are two things the NFL needs, the second is a new rule that is based on judgment calls made by referees, because other rules like that have worked out so well.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
i see the present rule of allowing it as a possible injury to players the argument that is presently being talked about is it is too automatic for a 1st down its the same reason the NFL moved back the extra point kick