Earl is officially our punt returner

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
After his amazing punt return against Chicago, I am all for this. I mean, think about his pick 6 at Buffalo. Dude wants to score.

253hawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":39k75v2u said:
lots of LB'S are on special teams. do you think those are olineman blocking?

They are engaged long enough to not be of primary concern and they may be LB's, but they're not the quick ones. Once Earl gets by the gunner/s, he doesn't have to worry about the big guys slamming into him head-on because they're second level and will be grasping at him from his peripheral.

I think people are worried because they watch too much of us. Ryan kicks high and short, but because it's almost always fair-caught or a high-speed demolition due to our great coverage team, the net gain is around the league average even though guys like Lee and Hekker are blasting it 10 yards deeper (out-kicking coverage and allowing return yards.) The more space Earl gets, the longer he'll have to read his lanes and set up safe paths through them, regardless of if he's tackled or takes it to the house.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Kinetic energy = mass x velocity squared. Thus velocity has an exponentially larger influence on the strength of a hit than mass (weight). Considering the gunners are flying near full-speed or full-speed there is a high potential for a serious collision. Oh and not to mention that ET carries a little bit of velocity squared himself.

253hawk

Reaction score
If the gunners are flying at full speed, then the protection utterly failed -- but he can still just signal for a fair catch, which he's shown great awareness in doing so far. PR's don't run into walls nearly as much (if ever, unless they backtrack a bit) as KR's do.

The whole reason most guys get the PR job is because they can track the ball and judge the ETA of the gunners very quickly. Most KR's in the league (even the amazing ones like Harvin) can't, so they don't get PR duties. The skill set is its own built-in safety feature.

HawkWow

Reaction score
So would it be safe to say that if he was given the chance, and excelled, many of you would want Wilson returning punts, too? I mean..why play scared and all that, right?

I'd have much less of a problem with Earl on return duty if he looked a bit more natural and a bit less like an accident waiting to happen.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think Jeron Johnson should be the starting Safety so that Earl can focus on returning punts. The injury risk at safety is just to high to justify risking our punt returner.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
northseahawk":224wnmt1 said:
Let's all boo ET and Pete on Thursday whenever he is out for a punt return to get our (fans) position across

Yeah, this is going to catch on like wild fire.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
He will do a great job!

Can't wait to see him shred the green cheese this Thursday!!

Jacknut16

Reaction score
warden":3oakhdrh said:
Jacknut16":3oakhdrh said:
warden":3oakhdrh said:
I wish our coach was as smart as you guys, like WTF is he thinking putting ET in as punt returner.

I for one have absolutely no problem with Earl returning punts. If you play scared you should be looking at a different career.

There is a difference between playing scared and playing smart.

Russell Wilson doesn't run out of bounds or slide because he scared, he does it because he is smart.

I don't think playing the leagues best safety at PR is all that smart, its a risk, but hey it might pay off, who knows.

I wish you were our coach because Pete does not play smart, man how did such a dumb coach win a Super Bowl. It is obvious from your post that you know better and are smarter then Pete.

Yes, because if you win a superbowl everything you do from then on is automatically right.

Brilliant logic, where do I sign up for your news letter?

God forbid we should talk about the team or give our opinion. I mean, what is this, a message board or something?!?! :sarcasm_off:

BASF

Reaction score
Jacknut16":3i0vav4a said:
Yes, because if you win a superbowl everything you do from then on is automatically right.

Hey, it worked for the "In Ruskell We Trust" people for a while.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":3opmvdk4 said:
RolandDeschain":3opmvdk4 said:
Jesus Christ, I'm embarrassed to be associated with a lot of you in this thread. Always compete means exactly that, now stop whining about the mantra you love 98% of the time because of the 2% where you don't.

I'm rooting for you to return the first punt you receive Thursday night to the house, Earl. Can't wait.

I'm embarrassed to take you out in public Ro but I still don't love you any less :)

Do you put a collar on him so he feels safe????
:twisted:

hawkstrap

Reaction score
He does put a collar on him.

Also a fedora and culottes.

The safe word is "Geronimo"

hawk45

Reaction score
If Earl is just a tick better than a Walters or ADB (and ADB seemed pretty dang good to me) then the move has a very very crappy risk/reward ratio.

The move deserves criticism IMO unless Earl is Percy-Harvin-like out there. With Percy I hold my breath because he's a huge part of the offense, but he's a legit threat to go all the way every time he touches it, so I hold my breath and enjoy the way my heart pounds when he revs up.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1z9eqvrw said:
warden":1z9eqvrw said:
I wish our coach was a smart of you guys, like WTF is he thinking putting ET in as punt returner.

I for one have absolutely no problem with Earl returning punts. If you play scared you should be looking at a different career.
This.
Im sure you guys will let Pete explain that one. He is afterall, smarter than the collective we.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":1ge79t8m said:
NewJerseyHawk":1ge79t8m said:
experiment needs to end now.....

he ran em back in college..he was just hyped

it happens to the best of em
both of his PRs were bad decisions, I like to speak for Carroll

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":5h0owqzh said:
NJSeaHawk":5h0owqzh said:
NewJerseyHawk":5h0owqzh said:
experiment needs to end now.....

he ran em back in college..he was just hyped

it happens to the best of em
both of his PRs were bad decisions, I like to speak for Carroll

but all his PRs in preseason were good...he was hyped.

Latest posts