Earl Thomas Played Like Trash!!

Hawks46

Reaction score
Marlin Man":ci8w2vox said:
I would love to hear someone ask Pete about ET and lack of wrap up (always)

I think it's due to his shoulder injury. He injured up wrapping a guy up and getting the arm bent back. Now we're seeing him keep his arms tucked to his sides and trying to blast people.

You're right, he's always done that a bit, but it's at a new level now. I seriously think it's because he feels better and doesn't want to reinjure an arm.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Hawks46":3jgcw8a8 said:
Marlin Man":3jgcw8a8 said:
I would love to hear someone ask Pete about ET and lack of wrap up (always)

I think it's due to his shoulder injury. He injured up wrapping a guy up and getting the arm bent back. Now we're seeing him keep his arms tucked to his sides and trying to blast people.

You're right, he's always done that a bit, but it's at a new level now. I seriously think it's because he feels better and doesn't want to reinjure an arm.

It looked to me that Earl didn't want to hit anyone. It was so UnEarl like that even I noticed it. He didn't just whiff, he missed them, and at times when they weren't even juking to get out of the way. Strange indeed.

Vesuve

Reaction score
I just watched the tape on ET and there is something wrong with him, and it's more than the effects from the previous shoulder injury, IMO.

stack600

Reaction score
Shoulder surgeries suck. I and anyone who has had 1 or more knows. Changing his mechanics and technique is highly possible and could be subconscious even to super athletes like E.T....know what Im trying to remember how long last season did he wear the brace, I personally think E.T. will be fine...the secondary did blow that wide open drop but it wasn't just Earl...

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
stack600":ox176cd8 said:
Shoulder surgeries suck. I and anyone who has had 1 or more knows. Changing his mechanics and technique is highly possible and could be subconscious even to super athletes like E.T....know what Im trying to remember how long last season did he wear the brace, I personally think E.T. will be fine...the secondary did blow that wide open drop but it wasn't just Earl...

Very interesting in the bolded points. Last year I fell down with both hands full of material separate bottles in each hand. Shifted my shoulder and I ached for about 9 months. I still had work and did not stop that work because of a lowsy feeling shoulder. Got an xray no broken bones. Still hurt some but still had to get work done. This year up cutting wood, split 2 rounds for loading and the next hit with a maul, shoulder shifted. I changed my approach to chopping from a full all back, side, and shoulder hit to half hits using my arms and wrist action to split the wood. My neck to shoulder are just fine as I found out by hauling out 2 front quarters one load on my shoulders day one of hunting for a friend, but my left shoulder socket is not. I can still operate but not as good. Gotta wonder if it the same effect on him.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
I wonder how long Pete plays a guy when he is playing like this????? He does it again next week, his ass needs to be on the bench, simple as that.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
I wish there was a separate website for Monday morning overreactions. Trash? Really??

OP
OP
dopeboy206

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":1u82zst7 said:
I wish there was a separate website for Monday morning overreactions. Trash? Really??
I'm calling it how I see it. He played like trash unless you or anyone can prove me otherwise.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
dopeboy206":uwjfipxh said:
Kennedyin92":uwjfipxh said:
I'm calling it how I see it. He played like trash unless you or anyone can prove me otherwise.

Maybe tone down the title. "Calling it like you see it" doesn't need to be stomping and yelling, internet style, on a message board.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
stack600":1j308wkv said:

We don't know that because we don't know the coverage assignments on that play.

It sure looked like it was on Earl to me. He also got all twisted around which didn't help. You never see him do that.

byau

Reaction score
Earl is taking weird angles that's for sure. Makes me wonder if he's thinking too much and not acting on instinct

One of the best examples is the TD run by Tannehill. Earl hit him pretty hard, there was no hesitation physically in that hit, but it was not at an effective angle and Tannehill still was able to bounce off and fall in for the score.

Bob, Groz, and Tom yesterday had an interesting theory- they were playing sound from Pete who said something about Earl being a "cocoon" kind of guy, implying he has a pre-game ritual that he likes to be left alone, probably to meditate, visualize, etc. Maybe the hype of opening day added to the whole pressure of the National Anthem and the big display of unity took him out of his cocoon.

Definitely an interesting theory, I could see it happening

I am in a wait and see and I would be surprised if Earl doesn't bounce back. Hopefully in game 2, but maybe it'll take one more game for him to get his rhythm

jlwaters1

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":1j9e5ikl said:
Lockett also had a rough game but I am so not worried about these two guys. They will be fine.

I agree Thomas and Lockett were both extremely disappointing on Sunday. Lockett dropped 2-3 passes, some of which would have been for 1st downs. I think they'll bounce back. I want to see Lockett and P-Rich emerge as go to players this year.

sam1313

Reaction score
I thought Earl may need to get his eyes checked. Uncanny number of missed tackles that were complete wigfs.

Jville

Reaction score
I thought Earl started the season slow last year. He seems to need some reps to zero in on the targeting and timing of his collisions. Once he is zeroed in, his collision speed is among the highest in the league.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I thought he laid a nice hit on Tannehill when he ran it in for a score. He couldn't prevent the touchdown, but he did hit him pretty hard.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":173dkvir said:

Did you see ET on tape?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Next thing you know, in typical group-think-bash form, Somebody will say "I never really seen anything in him all along" SMDH!

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

Smellyman

Reaction score
stack600":1yc54ogm said:

Then he should wrap up instead of shoulder tackling.

irocdave

Reaction score
Not saying Et sucks or will never be good again, but he had a lousy game. I was texting a buddy during the game that ET is really struggling. The whiffing on tackles last year could be explained, this year not so much. The hit he put on the dolphins Qb was great, except that it just after he crossed the goal line. The other whiffs, well, not once were ET's arms extended. Hard to wrap up when your hands are at your side and your going for the kill shot in wide open spaces.

ET's game hasn't been great since he was injured, maybe he's doing the best he can with the injury? I really hope that's not the case. If it is, it's for the Hawks to start looking for his replacement in earnest.

Again, for the blind homers, he had a down year last year, and by down, I'm not talking about interceptions, but whiffed tackles just like the dolphins exposed numerous times last Sunday. Diving with your head and or shoulder in an attempt to hit a ball carrier is not an attempt to tackle, FYI for those that are resisting the acknowledgment of sub par play from a consistent pro bowl caliber player.

His game was off last week, way off and it hurt the team.