Earl Thomas to hold out until contract resolved

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
What the heck has his agent been doing all of this time? Earl has taken this so far and it is not good for anyone. Reign him in, help get a deal done that benefits both parties — though that might be pretty optimistic at this point. Earl has created such a bad situation it only feels like it can get worse from here.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":16edtp3j said:
Yep, don't give in to him. You either play or you sit. As the season goes on, all it takes is one injury to a safety and a team will offer up something worth considering.
Like your angle Soulfish.

chris98251

Reaction score
Let him fester, you have to draw a line and Thomas creating his own negative press is a good one to start with. Yes we eat it if he doesn't play, better to do it now and maybe take a few losses as a hit and find his replacement then pay and have him continue this. I won't even consider a trade now because it is what he wants. Another precedent you don't want to start. he will lose his money if he doesn't play and I think we can recoup that in some way can't we?

JustTheTip

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":6jsqbwkm said:
Yep, don't give in to him. You either play or you sit. As the season goes on, all it takes is one injury to a safety and a team will offer up something worth considering.

And when he stops sitting to get contract credit, he is a back up since he didn't compete for the starting spot and let him know up front the team won't be waiving any fines. One way for Pete to regain some credibility for his philosophy.

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":nwgdtewu said:
Now wants to be a Raider.... :roll:

On Tuesday, Dallas Cowboys’ reporter Newy Scruggs reported that Thomas went up to Raiders owner Mark Davis and told him that he would like to play for Oakland:

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/20...wks-fs-earl-thomas-wants-to-play-for-raiders/

[tweet]https://twitter.com/newyscruggs/status/1021804795642957826[/tweet]

Our Earl’s learning but learning slowly:

He ran and pimp himself to Garrett why not Jerry? When you pimp, pimp to the decider! How he is pimping to mark Davis, when he should have done his homework and pimp to Gruden and McKenzie.

Earl’s destruction to his brand continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

homerun1970

Reaction score
chris98251":3sbe8xrn said:
Let him fester, you have to draw a line and Thomas creating his own negative press is a good one to start with. Yes we eat it if he doesn't play, better to do it now and maybe take a few losses as a hit and find his replacement then pay and have him continue this. I won't even consider a trade now because it is what he wants. Another precedent you don't want to start. he will lose his money if he doesn't play and I think we can recoup that in some way can't we?

If he sits out six games the team will recoup quite a bit right there. This has turned into a crapshow. The last few third contracts make it even harder to offer him a large guaranteed contract. Kam is on the books, team recouped below value for Mike B. The front office has to be a little gunshy to show the money to Earl. Especially when hes threatened to retire, asked other teams to get him, and soon to be held out. His agent should be prayng Earl ends up with a phobia about any public statements about now. His value is going down with each demand.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":19ta3lqq said:
What the heck has his agent been doing all of this time? Earl has taken this so far and it is not good for anyone. Reign him in, help get a deal done that benefits both parties — though that might be pretty optimistic at this point. Earl has created such a bad situation it only feels like it can get worse from here.

Earl's his own dude, but I'm sure he's also being advised by his agent to holdout to try and force the Hawk's hand in getting a trade done.

But again, how is getting traded to a team to play one year before free agency any better than just playing here where you and your family already live?

It's why Earl's frustrated, cause now he's BEGGED two teams (Cowboys and Raiders) to "come get me".........which translates to give me what I want, and both have said no thanks you're not worth the asking price.

Dumb.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3khgodij said:

Makes sense. Pretty much a similar scenario that we picked up Brown on last year. Fant went down early, but the "hopeful" LT replacements made that an urgent situation to step up and pay the fiddler. :2thumbs:

toffee

Reaction score
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news ... um=twitter

Lol, it went from I have slept with Garrett, now give the contract; to give me the contract or I will sleep with Mark Davis; to ..... give me the contract or I am gonna cry.
44f08a0b242a20f31cc7c005e8c40343.png

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":330ts714 said:
Coug_Hawk08":330ts714 said:

Earl's his own dude......

Agree...and his karma list is growing daily.

List background21

poly1274

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":17fo5oli said:

His agent said back in April Earl won’t hold out and report to TC

lukerguy

Reaction score
ET is a different cat. He's so emotional.

While I have no doubt he's irate (about the situation he's put himself in), I don't think that he has the self control to hold out an entire year, or even part of the year.

He loves football too much to sit out or retire...

I don't think anyone is going to give in to the Seahawks demands, so my prediction is that Earl at some point comes back and plays out the final year of the contract.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
lukerguy":15sb204i said:

While I have no doubt he's irate (about the situation he's put himself in), I don't think that he has the self control to hold out an entire year, or even part of the year.

I don't think anyone is going to give in to the Seahawks demands, so my prediction is that Earl at some point comes back and plays out the final year of the contract.
Nailed it! Great post. :)

James in PA

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see who caves first: The Hawks, Earl, or another team. I sure as hell hope it’s not the Hawks as they hold all the cards. The Hawks have already shown they’re not taking a 3rd rounder for Earl. I think it’s safe to assume they’re not getting a 1st either. The magic number appears to be a 2nd rounder. I say let Earl sit and cry if they don’t get at least a 2nd. He’ll eventually cave and return during the season, a la Joey Galloway.

poly1274

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":13mb75pw said:
lukerguy":13mb75pw said:

Nailed it! Great post. :)

If he's playing, he wouldn't give a damn and be like jogging

adeltaY

Reaction score
If they don't think he's going to play happily on the team this year, why not just release him and roll over the cap space? What's the dead money for releasing him vs. trading him? If you save a few mil by releasing vs. trading then just cut him. If the difference is negligible, trade him for a sixth round pick.

poly1274

Reaction score
adeltaY":lmz0e994 said:
If they don't think he's going to play happily on the team this year, why not just release him and roll over the cap space? What's the dead money for releasing him vs. trading him? If you save a few mil by releasing vs. trading then just cut him. If the difference is negligible, trade him for a sixth round pick.

Don't they save more money if he misses TC and games?