Earl Thomas to hold out until contract resolved

Seymour

Reaction score
Shocking news.....to some. I called this 2 days ago.

Seymour":2toos9vu said:
I'll call this right now. Earl is a no show in mini camp. That will be his last showing he is serious and the fines to him are minimal ($4,000 per day). That is a drop in the bucket to him, so I think he skips out.

No, not a big deal. He's not going to be here past this season anyway IMO (may still work a trade this year too).

edogg23

Reaction score
ivotuk":1974a4de said:
Screw Earl Thomas. He's a hypocrite. "I care about Seattle and want to finish my career here."

Then why did you follow the Dallas Cowboys in to their locker room and say "come get me!"

This is just a money grab with Richard Sherman in his ear. Sherman only has one goal, hurt the Seahawks as much as possible. He doesn't care that Earl is only going to lose money.

And that BS about looking out for his family and future doesn't fly either. Everytime we've given in and renewed a contract early, we've gotten the shaft. Actually, the other players other on the team get the shaft because that's less money for the players that are still here.

There's only so much money in the cap, and when one player takes an unfair portion, that's less for the other 52 players on the roster.

And the idea that they need to be paid up front to protect their future is a manufactured argument. Where is the money to take care of Ricardo Lockette?

What about all of those high school and college players (men and women, ALL sports) who very injured?

Earl already has millions in the bank, why does he deserve more "protection" than most of the other players on the roster.

Plus, he lied. He told his team mates he would be there. Now he's willing to put their successful season at risk so that he can get more of the financial pie than most of the other players on the team?

He saw how Kam's hold out screwed the players and their season. That could have been Superbowl year, but instead we started out 2 - 4! He told his team mates he would come back if they started losing games. And he did. Too little too late.

Kam lost money, and when he came back, he apologized to his team mates.

And the while time he was out, Earl was pining "Kam! Come back!" "I'm lost out there because Kam always studied the film and put us in position!"

No, Earl can suck it. Maybe if he hadn't abandoned his team mates and run in to an opposing teams locker room (while his team mates filed in to theirs), and told the opposing team, "Come get me" I might have some sympathy, but not now.

Ever since then I've wondered, just how hard is Earl playing out there now? Is he pulling up on. Jason Witten so that he doesn't hurt his future team mate?

And screw you Richard Sherman! Don't make excuses and shirk responsibility for your selfish side line actions by blaming being cut on a heartless team dumping an injured player.

If you hadn't shown so much of your ass on the side lines during games, and at press conferences threatening Jim Moore (which he refused to take responsibility for), then ignoring your head coach when he asked you to apologise, you might still be here.
Could not agree more!

Jville

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1j4sb36c said:
Jville":1j4sb36c said:
^^^

Per OTC ....... the dead cap money that would be incurred via outright release would be $1,900,000.
However, the accompanying cap savings to be realized would be $8,500,000.

Seattle easily leads all other teams in position cost at safety at $27,672,136.

Earl Thomas is currently scheduled to receive $1,700,000 more in salary checks this year than Kam Chancellor.

It's early in the process. We are only talking about a couple upcoming OTAs. A great opportunity for 4 alternatives to get additional coaching.

This isn't a bad idea.. the cap savings is worth it. Not like he's re signing here anyway. We should be able to get a 3rd and 4th rd for him though . Hopefully they get a trade done and get the last distraction off this team.

Anything could happen. Ya never know when another team might suddenly come around to the thought that they are only one player away from the promise land. Looking at the OTC site, Seattle currently ranks only 30th in position spending for defensive linemen. There is some speculation that Seattle is not done looking for additional pass rush. Since defensive backs are highly dependent on pass rush, much has yet to unfold up front. There are also those other contract extensions to consider on the other side of the line of scrimmage. And, as we have witnessed in the past, John Schneider is always open for business 24/7.

mrt144

Reaction score
TreeRon":3ny1t7aq said:
I don't think Pete is a "liberal" but I get what you are saying. You don't like his touchy feely management style.

As far as Thomas goes he's got Sherman advising him so what could go wrong. Sherman is the smartest guy in football. Sherman just wants to stick it to Seattle. He's like a scorned lover.

Sherm's got nothing to lose by advising ET to hold out. I don't think he's even thinking about any negative impact for Thomas and if he did I doubt he cares.

He had Jordan Peterson come talk to the guys. Cmon.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Trrrroy":285ty0dh said:
It'll be interesting to see what happens. Honesty I don't see the Hawks giving in.

Nor should they. Sit on the Bench Earl, Hawks already got burned once by this, your own loss as your value will plummet.

Man this team got so cancerous, just wish we could start fresh with the players here now.

Atradees

Reaction score
Not enough production for all world money. i think it would be a mistake to pay him. We have Russell's deal comin up. It was easy enough to pay these DBs when RW was on the cheap. Now he is not. With the guaranteed money and injury risks past 30 it just doesnt do a thing for me to throw this money at Thomas.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
mrt144":1g3xnysn said:
TreeRon":1g3xnysn said:
I don't think Pete is a "liberal" but I get what you are saying. You don't like his touchy feely management style.

As far as Thomas goes he's got Sherman advising him so what could go wrong. Sherman is the smartest guy in football. Sherman just wants to stick it to Seattle. He's like a scorned lover.

Sherm's got nothing to lose by advising ET to hold out. I don't think he's even thinking about any negative impact for Thomas and if he did I doubt he cares.

He had Jordan Peterson come talk which was the smartest move of all time, too bad it didnt sink enough for them to understand how to be responsible for their own choices and actions.

Overall though for the last 5 years he's let the players dictate his politics. So maybe deep down inside he's more conservative-leaning but for his players sake he's been all about the SJW movement which to many has grown tiresome and pathetic, as it is.

JP is a straight shooter so if you ain't buying that, you got some problems.

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":1t5nhgxd said:
Shocking news.....to some. I called this 2 days ago.

Seymour":1t5nhgxd said:
I'll call this right now. Earl is a no show in mini camp. That will be his last showing he is serious and the fines to him are minimal ($4,000 per day). That is a drop in the bucket to him, so I think he skips out.

No, not a big deal. He's not going to be here past this season anyway IMO (may still work a trade this year too).

You sure did and I couldn’t agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
This may work out well for us. Wait for another team's starting safety to tear an achilles in training camp and trade Earl for a desperate price.

I'm over millionaires whining for more millions. Come work my job. Then miss six weeks and demand a raise. See how that goes, lol.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":lsr3tyyr said:
mrt144":lsr3tyyr said:
TreeRon":lsr3tyyr said:

He had Jordan Peterson come talk which was the smartest move of all time, too bad it didnt sink enough for them to understand how to be responsible for their own choices and actions.

Overall though for the last 5 years he's let the players dictate his politics. So maybe deep down inside he's more conservative-leaning but for his players sake he's been all about the SJW movement which to many has grown tiresome and pathetic, as it is.

Oh right, I remember why I stopped posting here. This board is full of cranky old men. Well, thankfully the world isn't yours anymore, lawl.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":fjrlpwmw said:
This may work out well for us. Wait for another team's starting safety to tear an achilles in training camp and trade Earl for a desperate price.

I'm over millionaires whining for more millions. Come work my job. Then miss six weeks and demand a raise. See how that goes, lol.

Athletes live in imaginary worlds. They don't live among common folk. Everyone is tired of it.

Grow the up kids, you play a game for a living.

I say let him sit then trade him to a team willing to overpay.

No hurt feelings here, I'm a fan of the team not single players. :141847_bnono:

SEAHAWKS > any one player ever

KillerB

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":lbgmky3a said:
I loved earl, but screw him. Let Sherman be his agent I liked his deal in SF. I say wait it out and franchise him next year.

Correct answer. Under contract this year, and he almost certainly won't miss game checks. One year on the tag if he's still at an All Pro level. Then he can go off to the "promised land" in Dallas or wherever.

Bring in Reid just for a conversation, or maybe more than that, to stir the pot.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":21v06gpk said:
NFSeahawks628":21v06gpk said:
mrt144":21v06gpk said:
TreeRon":21v06gpk said:

Oh right, I remember why I stopped posting here. This board is full of cranky old men. Well, thankfully the world isn't yours anymore, lawl.

I'm young and not cranky at all. I just live in the real world where Trump is president.

Sorry I ruffled your panties, but this is life. I have no time to waste on spoiled children, and apparently neither does Pete.

Yes, please stop posting here, and also stop trying to limit free speech, it ain't gona work out for you man.

Actually the world is mine, it's a mindset, I piss excellence every day, and the thing is I know it. ;)

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
KillerB":3vl6fwck said:
425HawkSpark":3vl6fwck said:
I loved earl, but screw him. Let Sherman be his agent I liked his deal in SF. I say wait it out and franchise him next year.

Correct answer. Under contract this year, and he almost certainly won't miss game checks. One year on the tag if he's still at an All Pro level. Then he can go off to the "promised land" in Dallas or wherever.

Bring in Reid just for a conversation, or maybe more than that, to stir the pot.

No guarantee he won't miss games even for the game checks, but more likely that he doesn't play as hard. I know thats sad to think but thats how people are raised now days when they don't get what they want. No one is going to overpay for a mental midget at the end of his career.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":4nj8lmep said:
KillerB":4nj8lmep said:
425HawkSpark":4nj8lmep said:

No guarantee he won't miss games even for the game checks, but more likely that he doesn't play as hard. I know thats sad to think but thats how people are raised now days when they don't get what they want. No one is going to overpay for a mental midget at the end of his career.
Earl’s not going to dog it on the field, it’s not in his DNA.
I don’t like the fact he won’t be at the start of training camp and hate hold outs but I understand why he is doing it.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the show "Ballers"? Itsv obviously sensationalised but it gives a really good look into how these rich athletes live. It's not all roses when you have family members and randos chomping at the bit for your money and one major injury can derail your cash cow.

The misapplied "you're rich so stop complaining" is frustrating tbh. The player are commodities compared to the owners. Their tens of millions (barely any players actually have this much BTW) pale in comparison to the money the owners and team executives have.

Many of us sit here and get mad at the players for going after top dollar, meanwhile the organization will cut ties with any player in a heartbeat once he is no longe useful. Personally, I'll side with the player over the org nine times out of ten.

Everyone is out for themselves. Teams, owners, coaches, players. Unless a guy is a violent criminal, just leave him be IMO.

KillerB

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":tmk51rhm said:

Of course there are no guarantees. But as SH noted, Earl only knows one way to play. Once he arrives he'll be full blast.

It's a business, and Earl is doing business things. The team should do the same by not offering anything beyond what they may already have, and franchising once after this season.

Fade

Reaction score
If The Seahawks are smart they will freeze ET out and ignore him until he reports.

They tried the whole negotiate tactic while a player is holding out with Kam, and it failed miserably. Paul Allen stepped in a week into the regular season, and stopped negotiations, a week later Kam reported.

-----

Now with that out of the way. The Seahawks need to make an example of Earl to stop this repeated behavior, you cannot reward players who hold out, or you will get more players doing it in the future. Stay firm and move on with out him. I don't want it to be this way, but it is what it is. He is a 1 yr rental at this point, whenever he reports.

chris98251

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":b80v7uhk said:
NFSeahawks628":b80v7uhk said:
mrt144":b80v7uhk said:
TreeRon":b80v7uhk said:

No it is ours for another 20 years, you will deal with who we vote for, pay our social security and then our medical costs also. Just deal with it, we spent your inheritence becasue you wouldn't leave the house and wanted to freeload playing your video games in the basement, now your going to complain that we cost you to much to take care of. :)