Earl Thomas to hold out until contract resolved

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1z15gkh6 said:
The Cowboys would be dumb to give us anything more than a token pick in return for a player that they can get in free agency next year.
If the Hawks play hardball with Earl and don't offer him an extension, AND he plays out his contract this year so it doesn't toll, the Hawks can franchise him in 2019... and again in 2020 if they want.

rcaido

Reaction score
HawkerD":gjkv9ij7 said:
rcaido":gjkv9ij7 said:
Just pay the guy already, he has certainly earn it. Lets go in the season fresh without distractions for once.
You don't get a contract you ALREADY earned. You get one that you management anticipates you WILL earn.

I dont see him having a decline anytime soon. We took a chance on Cary Williams 7 million and last year Joekel 8million. i think we can chance Earl having a good 3 years.

crosfam

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2uunas1w said:
bigskydoc":2uunas1w said:
The Cowboys would be dumb to give us anything more than a token pick in return for a player that they can get in free agency next year.
If the Hawks play hardball with Earl and don't offer him an extension, AND he plays out his contract this year so it doesn't toll, the Hawks can franchise him in 2019... and again in 2020 if they want.

We are going to need that tag for Russ. I say we should bite the bullet and extend ET three years, just don't guarantee year 3.

adeltaY

Reaction score
rcaido":24drjrku said:
HawkerD":24drjrku said:
rcaido":24drjrku said:
Just pay the guy already, he has certainly earn it. Lets go in the season fresh without distractions for once.
You don't get a contract you ALREADY earned. You get one that you management anticipates you WILL earn.

I dont see him having a decline anytime soon. We took a chance on Cary Williams 7 million and last year Joekel 8million. i think we can chance Earl having a good 3 years.

This is a really, really good point. ETIII would carry a higher risk in terms of more guaranteed money over more years than those guys, but he's obviously a better player. I mentioned in the Lockett thread that Earl was also coming off a broken leg last season and was still a second team All-Pro. I think the recovery he made was underrated here and across the league. He came right back and played at a high level from week one. The hamstring injury is concerning though, not sure if those were related?

Also, who are we going to spend the money on? The only extension candidates who will or might earn big money on the team prior to the 2017 draft class IMO:

2015 Draft: Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett
2016 Draft: Jarran Reed (Ifedi???)

More seasoned vets: Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, Earl Thomas, Duane Brown (Doug Baldwin?)

It seems feasible to pay Earl Thomas a lot of money and still have money for most of those guys.

kidhawk

Reaction score
crosfam":vg1aqu6u said:
onanygivensunday":vg1aqu6u said:
bigskydoc":vg1aqu6u said:

We are going to need that tag for Russ. I say we should bite the bullet and extend ET three years, just don't guarantee year 3.

I would only think that the first year and his bonus would be guaranteed at signing. Further guarantees would be tied to his being on the roster at certain points, so you can alleviate that issue by cutting him before guarantees kick in if they don't want to continue paying him.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
From a football standpoint, the big concern would be SS if McDougald is forced to play FS in place of Thomas.

Hill and Alexander are disasters in covering space. They will improve, but you have to be realistic about how much they can possibly improve by Week 1.

It sucks that Earl feels like he has to hold the team hostage to force their hand.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3nkfrb0p said:
poly1274":3nkfrb0p said:
Question do people really believe Earl Thomas as hofer?? I looked at the numbers he ain’t Charles Woodson
No.

He's statistically similar to Reggie Nelson over his first 8 years and then Reggie Nelson had 14 INTs over years 9 through 11. He won't catch Reggie Nelson, let alone get into the hall. Kenny Easley had 32 picks in 7 years and it took him 25 years to get in. If he gets in, it will be because of name more than play and it won't be for an extremely long time, but likely not at all.

Statistics are such a tiny part of the story when it comes to DB's. Earl has already been to 3 times as many pro-bowls as Reggie Nelson. Earl has been a first team all pro 3 times. Nelson never. There isn't a comparison.

chris98251

Reaction score
vin.couve12":31msmp2m said:
poly1274":31msmp2m said:
Question do people really believe Earl Thomas as hofer?? I looked at the numbers he ain’t Charles Woodson
No.

He's statistically similar to Reggie Nelson over his first 8 years and then Reggie Nelson had 14 INTs over years 9 through 11. He won't catch Reggie Nelson, let alone get into the hall. Kenny Easley had 32 picks in 7 years and it took him 25 years to get in. If he gets in, it will be because of name more than play and it won't be for an extremely long time, but likely not at all.

Again it's not stats, what scheme does Nelson play in and what are his responsibilities? Earl is not playing in a two deep or Tampa 2, he roams alone back there protecting against the deep ball and supports the Edge. QB's just don't test him much and when they do it's a incompletion or a pick when they did it his rookie year.

I think his peers and other coaches respect his abilities a lot more then you do.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2u3yf332 said:
jammerhawk":2u3yf332 said:
OK, but at what cost?

Do you think Thomas' agent will settle on a deal that pays him less than Eric Berry money? Somehow with Clark and Wilson waiting in the wings for new deals I can't see the team and Thomas being able to come to an agreement on a new deal as I doubt the team is going to give him a 4 yr, $75 million/$30 million plus guaranteed deal.

Bingo!! Winner!!

Also throw Wagner in there above Clark on the big $$ signing priority list.
^^^THIS^^^
I love ET, but if he's trying to force JS & Co. to choose?, it's no contest ^^^^^^, besides, being *allas Cowboy is his where his heart is.
His loyalty isn't with the Seahawks + It has too many $$$$$$$$ tied to it.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":6tsrnq0s said:
Again it's not stats, what scheme does Nelson play in and what are his responsibilities? Earl is not playing in a two deep or Tampa 2, he roams alone back there protecting against the deep ball and supports the Edge. QB's just don't test him much and when they do it's a incompletion or a pick when they did it his rookie year.

I think his peers and other coaches respect his abilities a lot more then you do.
Pretty much an incompletion. For it to be a pick, Earl would have to catch it.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The greatest stumbling block at this point is Earl Thomas's misguided willingness to hurt his own team for the hope of more financial reward. I sincerely hope he re-considers his position before training camp begins. He is under salary, and the team needs him.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":15d7bhfi said:
Bottom line.....Does Earl get a new contract with the Hawks before September 9th or not?

Probably not at this rate. If he doesn't re-consider, he may not see another dime as a football player.

FinNasty

Reaction score
vin.couve12":18p1vy6s said:
poly1274":18p1vy6s said:
No.

I really don’t know what to do with this...

Reggie Nelson? Really?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
FinNasty":35906exi said:
vin.couve12":35906exi said:
poly1274":35906exi said:
No.

Reggie Nelson? Really?

Earl Thomas is a HoFer. Period. Full Stop.

The best player on a team that led the NFL in scoring defense for four-consecutive years.

original poster

Reaction score
I bet he’s traded in the coming weeks.

3rd rounder that will become a 2nd rounder if he makes the pro bowl.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3bmsqpku said:
FinNasty":3bmsqpku said:
vin.couve12":3bmsqpku said:
poly1274":3bmsqpku said:
No.

Reggie Nelson? Really?

Earl Thomas is a HoFer. Period. Full Stop.

The best player on a team that led the NFL in scoring defense for four-consecutive years.
Really hard to tell if he was the best player. I think he does have a few legitimate issues that voters will probably mull over. For example, every player in that secondary was outstanding. Even Bryon Maxwell, and Browner looked like top corner backs in our system. He certainly was a big part, but I do think his lack of bulk stats will hurt him when his name is eligible. I think they will acknowledge that he was a special player -- but at this rate I'm not so sure he'll be a first ballet. He may be waiting for a little while like Easley did. We also need to consider how much longer does he have elite play in him. That will also play a part in how the voters will view him come voting time. As good as Thomas is, I certainly don't think he was quite at Reed or Dawkins levels. My memory may be a bit hazy, but it took a bit for Dawkins to get in if I'm remembering correctly (correct me if Im wrong).

In lieu of that I think he has a good chance to go in as a hall of famer, he definitely has a few credentials that make his induction plausible, but again I think the lack of bulk stats and turnovers will come back to bite him. I think that the first member of our vaunted secondary to get in will actually be Sherman. He had some really memorable moments, and his out spoken nature/ball hawkish nature will make him very hard to forget.

Latest posts