Elite

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
adeltaY":127et1wx said:
Seymour":127et1wx said:
The problem I see with those that rate Wilson poorly is compensation for pressure. It is a well known fact that since 2012 Russ is the MOST pressured QB in the NFL thanks to Tom Cable and Pete.

Now....those that evaluate him poorly, how do you adjust his stats and what you see to compensate for this?

Go watch ANY NFL QB that is allowed time to find the #2 and 3 reads and watch what happens. He will light it up, yes any average QB becomes "Elite" looking with no pressure. Put the same QB under heavy pressure and many if not most will fold and look like the belong in the CFL.

That is what Wilson has to look forward to every damn week, and the reason I was so hell bent of ridding us of Cable and calling him out. Every bad habit Russ has is complements of Tom Cable and Pete for allowing it.

This is why I need to see his resilience with a decent oline and protection before I feel good about $33M per year deal. Problem is, we may never see that with Pete here. :|

Stats confirm RW most pressure QB within 2 seconds since 2012.

Blake Bortles this Week exemplified how having great protection can make a QB look elite. He had all day to throw and those crosser and checkdowns were wide open.

Russell pressure rate last year 39.8%
Case Keemun 39%
Excuses are like buttholes everyone has got one..
I think the Vikings won a playoff game

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
adeltaY":1c3vp00v said:
hawksincebirth":1c3vp00v said:
adeltaY":1c3vp00v said:
hawksincebirth":1c3vp00v said:
Brady takes last years team to nfc champ game .. he gets the ball out before rushes get there , Rodgers too .. Wilson is not on their level . Pre snap, no. Pocket control, no. Inner clock, no. Blitz Brady or Rodgers you get torched. Contain Wilson and blitz up the middle. He cannot and still cannot beat the blitz in his 7th year

Nope. Beat the crap out of the eagles cover zero blitz.
505 yards says he did .. 3 tds zero picks .

I'm talking about Wilson not Brady... How would my comment even make sense if I was talking about Brady?

Also Brady didn't carry his team to victory today.... What's up with that? :mrgreen:
Apologies ...
Brady will be in the playoffs this year we won’t so what are you saying.. Brady has 5 trophies. Your not serious are you

Seymour

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":1otqx72a said:
adeltaY":1otqx72a said:
Seymour":1otqx72a said:
The problem I see with those that rate Wilson poorly is compensation for pressure. It is a well known fact that since 2012 Russ is the MOST pressured QB in the NFL thanks to Tom Cable and Pete.

Now....those that evaluate him poorly, how do you adjust his stats and what you see to compensate for this?

Go watch ANY NFL QB that is allowed time to find the #2 and 3 reads and watch what happens. He will light it up, yes any average QB becomes "Elite" looking with no pressure. Put the same QB under heavy pressure and many if not most will fold and look like the belong in the CFL.

That is what Wilson has to look forward to every damn week, and the reason I was so hell bent of ridding us of Cable and calling him out. Every bad habit Russ has is complements of Tom Cable and Pete for allowing it.

This is why I need to see his resilience with a decent oline and protection before I feel good about $33M per year deal. Problem is, we may never see that with Pete here. :|

Blake Bortles this Week exemplified how having great protection can make a QB look elite. He had all day to throw and those crosser and checkdowns were wide open.

Case Keemun 39%

And some people even post like they have an extra one where their mouth should be.

Wilson was the #2 pressured QB last year as well and was not allowed the luxury of playing opposite the #1 defense in the NFL last year (we were #11). What do you use to compensate for that?? :177692:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/quarterbacks-and-pressure-2017

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
adeltaY":3aatje9m said:

Elite QB's don't get blitzed, or they torch you. So this is an indictment on Russell, not an excuse helping his cause.

It's year #7, and Russell still doesn't know how to handle the blitz, other than run for his life and try to make something happen through broken plays. Is this worthy of 33M+ a year as he approaches 30 and slows down even more?

Now not all his fault, he needs a HC and O-Coordinator to work in tandem to come up with ways to beat the blitz and build some sort of a coherent sustainable successful playbook in order to move the ball on a consistent basis.

But so far we haven't seen it, in year 7. So the question is is it ever going to happen? Or are we just going to see a more and more diminished version of Russell that gets slower and slower as he ages and takes more hits, and therefore our offense looks even worse and worse because he won't be able to escape on those broken plays as much.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1iqgpgx5 said:
adeltaY":1iqgpgx5 said:

Elite QB's don't get blitzed, or they torch you. So this is an indictment on Russell, not an excuse helping his cause.

It's year #7, and Russell still doesn't know how to handle the blitz, other than run for his life and try to make something happen through broken plays. Is this worthy of 33M+ a year as he approaches 30 and slows down even more?

Now not all his fault, he needs a HC and O-Coordinator to work in tandem to come up with ways to beat the blitz and build some sort of a coherent sustainable successful playbook in order to move the ball on a consistent basis.

But so far we haven't seen it, in year 7. So the question is is it ever going to happen? Or are we just going to see a more and more diminished version of Russell that gets slower and slower as he ages and takes more hits, and therefore our offense looks even worse and worse because he won't be able to escape on those broken plays as much.

BS!!! Teams get constant pressure on our QB because they get pressure with the front 4 without having to blitz!!

This is an indictment of Tom Cable, not Russell Wilson. :177692: :141847_bnono:

Seymour

Reaction score
Russell cannot beat the blitz is more stupid BS. You'd think some of these posts come from other teams trolls sometimes!

TLO8F1FReqmUqsoWJ0pD6Mf ebKNV2yBtuwo0gWPua4

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2l0rgdp6 said:
Russell cannot beat the blitz is more stupid BS. You'd think some of these posts come from other teams trolls sometimes!

When I say can't beat the blitz, I mean by traditional means like changing the play, getting the ball out on time and staying in the pocket.

Russell beats the blitz by escaping and making big plays down field.

And yes, there is a difference and that difference needs to be taken into account as he ages and we're considering handing him a massive extension.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Hmm, can't throw from the pocket against the blitz....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ParkerLewisJR/status/937749989287014400[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ParkerLewisJR/status/937858624826744833[/tweet]

And these are just to Baldwin!

Additionally, the Jags tried this late in the game last year and the only reason they got to Russ was because PRich was tripped illegally with no foul - he beat his man and was on the way for a long gain, maybe a game winning TD.

adeltaY

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":1ybtagw5 said:
adeltaY":1ybtagw5 said:
Seymour":1ybtagw5 said:

Case Keemun 39%

And some buttholes smell worse than others. Being pressured after holding the ball over 2.5 seconds is WAY different than being pressured within two seconds. Also, how did Keenum do in their second playoff game?

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":lox5j350 said:
Seymour":lox5j350 said:

When I say can't beat the blitz, I mean by traditional means like changing the play, getting the ball out on time and staying in the pocket.

Russell beats the blitz by escaping and making big plays down field.

And yes, there is a difference and that difference needs to be taken into account as he ages and we're considering handing him a massive extension.

Then change your definition of beat if you don't want to be misunderstood! Everyone else thinks beat means makes a play against it!!

So you count how many times he runs when blitzed, then you count every other QB and discount him now? Good lord.... :roll:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1y4de5ez said:
So you count how many times he runs when blitzed, then you count every other QB and discount him now? Good lord.... :roll:

Yes, I have one of those little hand counters that I click on my couch like an umpire.

Seymour

Reaction score
adeltaY":2xwk1bkz said:
Hmm, can't throw from the pocket against the blitz....

And these are just to Baldwin!

Additionally, the Jags tried this late in the game last year and the only reason they got to Russ was because PRich was tripped illegally with no foul - he beat his man and was on the way for a long gain, maybe a game winning TD.

Sorry dude!! None of those count....he ran more than 3 steps.... :sarcasm_off:

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3r6u0odi said:
Seymour":3r6u0odi said:

Yes, I have one of those little hand counters that I click on my couch like an umpire.

Funny thinking back and how we went several rounds when I wanted Cable gone and you defended him regularly. Now that Cable is gone, you take all those sacks and pressures and put them squarely on Wilson over and over finding ways to discount him.

Denial is a very powerful tool, but not a very sharp one.

mrt144

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1h6wea6k said:
JGreen79":1h6wea6k said:
Spin Doctor":1h6wea6k said:
JGreen79":1h6wea6k said:
Wilson had the 3rd best passer rating against the blitz last year at 109.3.

He even had a game in 2015 where he went 11 of 11 for 3 TD's against the blitz.

To say he cannot beat the blitz is crazy....
Those numbers are inflated in my opinion. He can beat the blitz, it is just that he doesn't do it in a orthodox way. A lot of it is with his mobility. I've noticed he doesn't look so hot against the blitz when teams force him to commit to the pocket. It is definitely going to be a concern if he even loses a modicum of his athleticism. Right now Russ is a good QB, but I don't think his skills will hold up very well if he stays as he is.

Most of the time when he beats the blitz, he does it from within the pocket. In fact I'd be willing to bet some of his best work is done from the pocket. The biggest problem is that teams are able to get pressure without blitzing. That is the key to beating Russ.

Highlights from the 2015 game. Only one clip has him leaving the pocket, and it wasn't against the blitz.
[youtube]LN9_AsL_Z8w[/youtube]

Highlights from the game against the Steelers, none of the clips show him leaving the pocket on a blitz.
[youtube]lfsQPmkGDfI[/youtube]

Highlights from the Texans game last season. Left the pocket once against the blitz once.
[youtube]hRyeFj7XsXY[/youtube]
Wilson was hardly blitzed in any of these clips. When he was blitzed in the Texans game he had a lot of time to throw the ball. In 2015 he was a more cerebral QB but since then he's fallen on bad habits. We have not seen that same QB since 2015.

The bottomline is, teams that Wilson struggles against generally strive to keep him contained in the pocket. Teams like the Rams, the Broncos, etc. They approach him with a controlled rush, and delayed blitz's to really throw him off, and usually it works.

Which in theory should allow for some sort of tactical counter yet...